Start by marking “Taming the Tiger Within: Meditations on Transforming Difficult Emotions” as Want to Read:
Taming the Tiger Within: Meditations on Transforming Difficult Emotions

Taming the Tiger Within: Meditations on Transforming Difficult Emotions

4.21  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,558 Ratings  ·  81 Reviews
Taming the Tiger Within is a handbook of meditations, analogies, and reflections that offer pragmatic techniques for diffusing anger, converting fear, and cultivating love in every arena of life-a wise and exquisite guide for bringing harmony and healing to one's life and relationships.

Published September 6th 2005 by Riverhead Books (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Taming the Tiger Within, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Taming the Tiger Within

Siddhartha by Hermann HesseThe Art of Happiness by Dalai Lama XIVZen Mind, Beginner's Mind by Shunryu SuzukiWhen Things Fall Apart by Pema ChödrönThe Heart of the Buddha's Teaching by Thich Nhat Hanh
A Buddhist Reading List
77th out of 686 books — 863 voters
Beyond Relativity by Arthur TicknorAn Introduction to Zen Buddhism by D.T. SuzukiThe Three Pillars of Zen by Philip KapleauZen Flesh, Zen Bones by Paul RepsFaith by Sharon Salzberg
Spiritual Self-inquiry
6th out of 9 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

Happyreader
Sep 23, 2008 Happyreader rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spirituality
While waiting for my friend Celia to battle suburban traffic to join me for dinner in Wicker Park tonight, I went to the Wicker Park library and found this book -- and read the entire book in 45 minutes.

It's classic Thich Nhat Hanh. Simple, soothing yet profound. At first I thought it was kind of wasteful of paper to have a single sentence per page spread and then I realized it slowed down the pace and made you mindful of the message of each individual sentence.

Focused primarily on anger and bei
Laurie Buchanan
Sep 26, 2009 Laurie Buchanan rated it it was amazing
Do you want to improve your communication skills, minimize misunderstandings and build harmonious relationships in the workplace and at home? If you answered yes, then you will immediately benefit from Bob Bloom's book, "Taming the Tiger of Emotion: A Radical Change of Mind." In it, Bob presents user-friendly guidelines to understanding emotion and a step-by-step map for permanent and constructive change.

"Taming the Tiger of Emotion: A Radical Change of Mind" is a fantastic leaping off point for
Chanita.Shannon

Acclaimed scholar, peace activist, and Buddhist master revered by people of all faiths, Thich Nhat Hanh has inspired millions worldwide with his insight into the human heart and mind. Now he focuses his profound
Jack Coleman
Mar 10, 2011 Jack Coleman rated it did not like it
Don't want my difficult Emotions transformed.
Michele Long
Apr 24, 2016 Michele Long rated it liked it
the book got better as it progressed and I did like the last 1/3. The beginning dealt a lot with anger, and while we all experience anger at some point, I don't think I experience it to a degree that would make these pages were useful to me.

Some people have commented on the fact that each quote is only on one side of the page, with the other side left blank. I actually appreciated this. It was aesthetically pleasing this way, and really allowed each quote to stand on its own, allowing you to co
Michael Jay
Jun 13, 2011 Michael Jay rated it really liked it
Recommended to Michael Jay by: The Universe
I am re-reading this one, as it is an easy read, and calms me. I appreciate the brevity and the conciseness of the piece.

The "how to read" aspect of books in this regard is more akin to how it might have been when books were young -- read a page or two, digest it, add your own thoughts to those thoughts, as if it were alchemy, not simple linear consumption. You should perceive the book as a living thing, and the relationship symbiotic, instead of a dead thing one must consume and spit out.

Chess
Ted
May 28, 2015 Ted rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Small book of proverbial wisdom

This is a very short book. It is, I'm sure, meant to be read slowly and reflectively. Thich Nhat Hanh's books are somewhat repetitive and there is much that is found in his other books. But that isn't necessarily a bad thing. Just realize that the repetition serves a purpose. In an affirmation style, reflecting upon these startling simple, yet near impossible to for Westerners to fully implement, concepts, we slowly, moment by moment can see effective change.

For
Sacramento Public Library
This soothing book is a collection of meditations about anger and fear, and what to do when they arise. Many pages have only one or two sentences. This succinctness works well: it allows the reader to reflect and meditate on the words, have insights, and feel relief. Thich Nhat Hanh is a Buddhist monk. A key concept in Buddhism is dukkha, which means “suffering”. Much of what the Buddha taught concerned dukkha, and how to deal with it. Anger can be a form of suffering, especially when you keep r ...more
Rosemary Daly
Feb 20, 2014 Rosemary Daly rated it really liked it
Thich Nhat Hanh's writings are simply beautiful. He takes complex thoughts and puts them into simple, beautiful and understandable bytes of information. I will use this book over and over again in my meditation practice.
Erika
A small book that's jam packed with helpful meditations on anger, love and fear. I took my time reading it, so I could reflect, but it was very inspirational. Thich Nhat Hanh's compassion for his fellow human beings leaps off the page, which is both comforting and encouraging. I recommend it.
Unwisely
Oct 03, 2015 Unwisely rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, 2015
Yeah, another meditation book. Except, once again it was small bites that you're supposed to go through little by little. Which of course I didn't.

This was sentences, so even smaller parts than How to Train a Wild Elephant: And Other Adventures in Mindfulness. So if you're someone who doesn't really like text, this is for you - there was not very many words per page (and only every other page).

Some of the points were interesting and might be useful, I'm pretty sure but I was reading on a bus an
Crystal
I loved this book. My friends and I have made this a traveling book. When we travel we leave it for someone else to read. Still going around
Kori Beemish
Nov 14, 2014 Kori Beemish rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who wishes to control their emotions better
I was recommended to read this book as a means to start dealing with my anger issues and I dearly wished I read this book a long time ago. It helped me to deal with my anger almost immediately and I actually read it twice to make sure I understood everything and committed all of it to memory. I certainly plan to use the lessons I have learned from this book for many years to come.
Hannah Helm
Dec 23, 2015 Hannah Helm rated it liked it
Read the entire thing in just over an hour... Definitely going to transcribe many quotes to keep and study. A very interesting book which reads almost like poetry. Only quotes, phrases, small morsels of simple Buddhist wisdom. I am on the path of enlightenment these days, hoping to increase mindfulness in all aspects of daily life. I found this book by chance and I would recommend it to anyone suffering from anxiety, fear or anger. Nothing life-changing... But overall a very calm, peaceful, and ...more
Erica Adams
Jun 04, 2015 Erica Adams rated it it was amazing
I used Taming the Tiger Within as a means of guided meditation. I would read only a few pages at a time , then reflect on how each analogy and spoken mindfulness can be applied in my daily life. Thich Nhat Hanh's passages have helped me see life from a new perspective. Through his teachings , I've learned the importance of practicing mindfulness , how to recognize and acknowledge emotions (negative and positive) that can lead us to less than desirable actions. This humble monk's way of life is m ...more
The
Nov 21, 2014 The rated it it was ok
I began reading another of his books, "Anger," years ago and liked it. Because of that, I decided to check this book out and was very disappointed. I'll just leave it at that. It felt rushed; that's about the only way I can describe how I feel about this book. No wonder he's written hundreds of books--were they all rushed like this one?
Catherine
May 12, 2015 Catherine rated it it was ok
This is a compilation of wisdom from his other books, so if you've read any of the others, you'll get déjà vu. However, it can be a useful shortcut to the main points of all those other books. Personally, I prefer the longer versions.
Nina
It's hard not to review this from a this works/this doesn't work perspective. At the very least it's effective in getting you to confront the idea of difficult emotions (maybe even your own). It does have a calming effect but I suggest keeping a pen and paper nearby to write down the questions and ideas prompted by the meditations.
Alexandra
Sep 04, 2015 Alexandra rated it it was amazing
A beautiful meditation. I think this is a book I will pick up repeatedly throughout my life. The meditations are simple and elegant. Don't let the self-help-ish sub-title keep you from reading it. It's worth it.
Sylvia Kuras
Mar 25, 2014 Sylvia Kuras rated it it was amazing
It was what I needed to read at this time of my life. Benefit will come from rereading it again.
Thich Nhat Hanh is a knowledgeable monk who lives his beliefs and is able to communicate his knowledge to others.
Jacob Brandenburg
Nov 12, 2014 Jacob Brandenburg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read it fairly quickly and probably did not pick up on all of the hidden wisdom within it. Yet it have much to ponder even with many thoughts that push against the thoughts and beliefs I have taken hold of.
Brann Gallagher
Jan 09, 2015 Brann Gallagher rated it really liked it
Short book you can read in about an hour; timeless wisdom from Thich Nhat Hanh. Great book you can pick up and read over and over again, or in one sitting when angry or frustrated
Khandice
Aug 02, 2015 Khandice rated it it was amazing
Great short read ! Easy to understand and full of wise words . Challenges you to look within and understand the source of your emotions and people through mindfulness .
Stephanie Konrade
Mar 25, 2012 Stephanie Konrade rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adult
Great book for bringing peace. Though I am not Buddhist, there was so much wisdom I gained while exploring my perspective on a challenging time in my life. Highly recommended to my friends facing challenging emotional struggles. Each page stated a simple statement or story that allowed you to think/meditate on how it could change your outlook. Though it is a quick read...you will want to explore your thoughts and incorporate it's wisdom into your thinking as you read it, so you won't want to tur ...more
Lily
Jul 21, 2014 Lily rated it it was ok
This book is one of those books. It's thoughtful and I might look at it once a month when I'm feeling emotional. It might tame the tiger. It might do what the title says it will do. A buddhist quote a day will keep the doctor away? I just tamed my tiger with dorky humor. I'll stick to Calvin and Hobbes. "Isn’t it strange that evolution would give us a sense of humor? When you think about it, it’s weird that we have a physiological response to absurdity. We laugh at nonsense. We like it. We think ...more
Uma Lotus flower
Dec 21, 2014 Uma Lotus flower rated it it was amazing
Very easy to read but yet the simpleness hides the enormous power of fact for conscious living.
Omnia Amin
Jun 11, 2014 Omnia Amin rated it liked it
Light to read made up of short paragraphs for reflection. Gives basic techniques to calm the self.
Jill Myers
Feb 21, 2016 Jill Myers rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: buddhism
Brilliant, clear and transformational. I loved every page and truth in this masterpiece.
Lucas Lowe
Jul 19, 2016 Lucas Lowe rated it it was amazing
Excellent anger management tool. Love all of Thich Nhat Hanh books.
Darren Galaviz
Jan 26, 2016 Darren Galaviz rated it it was amazing
Quick read, great perspective from the least amount of words.
  • Letting Go of the Person You Used to Be: Lessons on Change, Loss, and Spiritual Transformation
  • A Heart as Wide as the World: Stories on the Path of Lovingkindness
  • Everything Arises, Everything Falls Away: Teachings on Impermanence and the End of Suffering
  • Seeking the Heart of Wisdom: The Path of Insight Meditation
  • The Wise Heart: A Guide to the Universal Teachings of Buddhist Psychology
  • No Time to Lose: A Timely Guide to the Way of the Bodhisattva
  • Against the Stream: A Buddhist Manual for Spiritual Revolutionaries
  • Ruling Your World: Ancient Strategies For Modern Life
  • The Lost Art of Compassion: Discovering the Practice of Happiness in the Meeting of Buddhism and Psychology
  • Being Zen: Bringing Meditation to Life
  • Training the Mind and Cultivating Loving-Kindness
  • The 12-Step Buddhist: Enhance Recovery from Any Addiction
  • It's Easier Than You Think: The Buddhist Way to Happiness
  • Going to Pieces Without Falling Apart: A Buddhist Perspective on Wholeness
  • Dancing With Life: Buddhist Insights for Finding Meaning and Joy in the Face of Suffering
More about Thich Nhat Hanh...

“Life is available only in the present moment.” 334 likes
“Mindful breathing is the vehicle that you use to go back to your true home.” 7 likes