Start by marking “Emotional Intelligence: Why It Can Matter More Than IQ” as Want to Read:
Emotional Intelligence: Why It Can Matter More Than IQ

Emotional Intelligence: Why It Can Matter More Than IQ

3.96  ·  Rating Details  ·  45,821 Ratings  ·  1,263 Reviews
Everyone knows that high IQ is no guarantee of success, happiness, or virtue, but until Emotional Intelligence, we could only guess why. Daniel Goleman's brilliant report from the frontiers of psychology and neuroscience offers startling new insight into our "two minds"—the rational and the emotional—and how they together shape our destiny.

Through vivid examples, Goleman d
Hardcover, 10th Anniversary Edition, 384 pages
Published September 26th 2006 by Bantam (first published 1995)

Jim
Oct 04, 2010 Jim rated it it was amazing
This visionary book by Daniel Goleman is one of the most important in my collection. I see it as a seminal contribution to understanding the human condition, and a roadmap of practical steps for living better, both within ourselves and with those around us.

I begin by recommending the excellent review by Lars - a clear, well-written summary of the major points in the book.

Here I will focus on 3 topics from the book: 1) the evolution of brain mechanisms for emotional and rational behavior; 2) how
Heba Nouraldeen
Jan 24, 2016 Heba Nouraldeen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
هذا الكتاب لا يستحق القراءة فحسب ..بل يستحق الدراسة..
بقلبه يرى الأنسان الرؤية الصحيحة ..فالعين لا ترى الجوهر
إن هذا الكتاب يتناول الذكاء العاطفى ومدى تأثيره على انفعالاتنا
وقدرتنا على اتخاذ القرارات المصيرية
الخلاصة
أن العاطفه بقبضتها القوية تهيمن على العقل المنطقى لذا علينا
الوعى بالذات
القدرة على ادارة العواطف والتعامل مع ضغوط الحياة
تجنب الأندفاع و القدرة على اتخاذ القرارات العاطفية
توجيه العلاقات الانسانية.. بمعنى القدرة على الأستماع للآخر والنظر بمنظور الآخرين..,

Lars Guthrie
Jul 04, 2010 Lars Guthrie rated it really liked it
After several years of looking at this seminal work on my to-read list, I am happy to have finally read it. It should be on the to-read list of educators and parents.

To learn and to grow, children first need to be ready to learn and to grow. However, how and what we need to learn today can differ significantly from the requirements of our ancestors. Evolution equipped us with an early warning system, the limbic system of our brains and its marvelous filter, the amygdala.

This system connects se
Taka
Descriptive but not very practical--

The main and only thesis of the book is: emotional intelligence is important. That's it. Goleman spends over 13 hours in this audiobook to pretty much buttress the thesis with evidence from various sources including psychology, medicine, and educational programs.

The content is interesting at times but overall, the message got repetitive and I was looking for any useful information to put to use in my daily life from the book to no avail.

Unfortunately the book
Andy
Apr 28, 2009 Andy rated it it was ok
It certainly contains a lot of useful info, but boy, is it ever dense! Reading it is like hacking your way through a dense jungle with a dull machete. It must also be noted that it is most definitely of the school of 80's/90's "hard-wired" thinking about the brain, and hard-sells the view that, to put it simply, mind comes from brain, and not the other way around. In other words, nature, not nurture. (For comparison, try Sharon Begley's Train Your Mind, Change Your Brain, which, oddly enough, ha ...more
Tina
Jun 19, 2015 Tina rated it it was amazing
I read this book after a big break up and it really opened my eyes to how I contributed to that break up. It's extremely important to have emotional intelligence and this is a fascinating discussion behind the theory and science of EI.
Jan-Maat
Emotional Intelligence is a book that was recommended to read on a management course that I took, oh, some time way back towards the beginning of the century. The course was taught by a middle aged white woman from southern-Africa. She also recommend Covey's book The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People, but in my enthusiasm that didn't put me off from reading this, perhaps because of an exercise she conducted with us in which you think of something that you'd like to do but haven't done and ...more
Gage
Aug 15, 2007 Gage marked it as to-read
If you're like me, you're extremely leery of anything that reeks of pop psychology. But Emotional Intelligence has no such odor. First, author Daniel Goleman is the real deal. He has his PhD, of course, as do many snake oil salesmen, but unlike these others, Goleman has academic street cred: he founded an institute at Yale, heads up another at Rutgers, and wrote science columns for the New York Times.

At first glance, I can see that this book, though written more than 10 years ago, still packs a
Kristl
Apr 30, 2007 Kristl rated it liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who throws things when angry or doesn't cry, ever
I had to read this book for a leadership academy I was in and I found this to be a surprisingly good experience.

The book introduces and explains the concept of "emotional intelligence," which, since beginning to read the book, I see is so much more important than almost any other awareness one could have on a day-to-day basis personally and professionally.

Don't be shocked, if, in describing the many levels of emotional intelligence or lack thereof, you immediately think of friends, family, and c
Katja
Jul 15, 2015 Katja rated it really liked it
Emotional Intelligence produced such conflicting feelings in me that I am torn as to what to write about it. For the most part, it is well-written, intelligent and compelling. The messages are simple yet profound, and I have to agree that the importance of social and emotional skills can’t be understated. On some level I think Daniel Goleman and I think in much the same way, and even though the book is 15 years old now, on the whole it is as applicable as it ever was.

*disclaimer – angry rant co
Jim
Apr 24, 2008 Jim rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
There are some interesting things in the book, things that are hard to disagree with, such as emotional skills and self-knowledge are important. I think a lot of people who liked this book focused on that self-help aspect. I have no problem with that. My problems with this book stem from the wider claims Goleman makes for EQ as a mental function.

Goleman bases this aspect of his theory on some whopping assumptions. The biggest one is the idea that emotional intelligence even exists. The main asp
Mahmoud Homsi
Jul 19, 2015 Mahmoud Homsi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nlp, psychology
I think the best part of the book is when he explained about the five major components of the emotional intelligence as:

1. Self-awareness: Recognize and understand your own moods and motivations and their effect on others. To achieve this state, you must be able to monitor your own emotional state and identify your own emotions. Emotional Maturity in this trait shows:
-Confidence
-Sense of humor (can laugh at self)
-Aware of your impression on others (can read the reactions of others to know how yo
د. حمدان
ذكاء المشاعر – دانيال غولمان

دانيال غولمان هو أخصائي نفسي أمريكي من مواليد عام 1946 كان يكتب عن الدماغ وعلوم السلوك بشكل دوري في جريدة النيويورك تايمز وقد حقق كتابه هذا والذي نشر عام 1995 نجاحاً ساحقاً.. وتصدر لوائح الأكثر مبيعاً لفترة طويلة.

يتحدث الكتاب والذي أعتبر كتاباً ثورياً في زمنه. عن كون الذكاء العاطفي.. أو ذكاء المشاعر هو أحد معايير النجاح للفرد. وهذا أمرٌ ينسف الفكرة السائدة عن معدل ذكاء الفرد بكونه المعيار الوحيد المحدد لقدرة الفرد على النجاح.

وجدتُ شيئاً غريباً فيما يخص النسخة العربية
عمر الحمادي

"أي شخص يمكن أن يغضب ، هذا سهل ، لكن ما ليس سهلا هو أن تغضب من الشخص المناسب في الوقت المناسب للسبب المناسب وبالشكل المناسب" أرسطو

عندما ضحى أبوين بحياتهما من أجل إنقاذ طفلتيهما عن طريق دفعها خارج نافذة القطار الذي سقط في النهر ، فإن علماء الارتقاء الحيوي يفسرون دافع هذه التضحية بأنه لضمان التناسل والتكاثر البشري وضمان توريث الجينات إلى الأجيال التالية ، لكن الأب لا يعرف هذه التفسيرات الداروينية لأن دافعه كان الحب و الحب الخالص فقط الذي يقوم على الإيثار، مما يدل أن مشاعرنا هي مرشدنا الأساسي الأول
Huda
Jun 09, 2015 Huda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
الكتاب جميل وناقش الموضوع بتحليل مفصل ودراسات وتفرع الى كل المواضيع المرتبطة فيه اللي ممكن تخطر على بالك.. تفاجأت من ارتباط هالموضوع بحياتنا اليومية وانفعالاتنا وردود أفعالنا من الصغر بالضبط من عمر شهور لمن نحس بالتعاطف او الشفقة مع الأطفال الآخرين ومحاولتنا مساعدتهم.. و هالنوع من الذكاء يمكن مظلوم صاحبه في البداية لأنه ما يعرف كيف يستغله وينميه وكل تعليمنا يقيس الذكاء العددي, اللغوي وغيرها.. لكن بالمستقبل احتمال كبير جدا انه راح ينجح اكثر من غيره لأن اختبارات الذكاء والقدرات ما تقيس قابلية المر ...more
Lyn Elliott
Dec 17, 2015 Lyn Elliott rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: psychology
I read this years ago - the reading date of 2004 is entirely arbitrary and I'm writing this at the end of 2015.
I remember the essential messages vividly, especially his discussion of why emotional thresholds differ, and the importance of counting to 10 to let the rational brain kick in over the primitive amygdala response. A good deep breath goes a long way.
I love the concept of emotional intelligence - very useful in dealing with others.
Wafaa Golden
May 17, 2016 Wafaa Golden rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks
الذّكاء العاطفي
يتحدّث الكتاب عن كيفيّة التّحكّم بردّات الفعل العاطفيّة والانفعاليّة..
أو ما هو تأثير ردّات الفعل تلك سواء كانت إيجابيّة أم سلبيّة..
الكتاب جيّد جدّاً في موضوعه لا بل ممتاز..
أعتقد أنّه من الضّروري أن يقرأه الجميع لما فيه من نصائح وقصص واقعيّة تؤيّد الفكرة التي وضِع الكتاب من أجلها..
ومن أراد أن يسأل ماذا يعني الذّكاء العاطفي؟
أجيبه باختصار بأنّه التّحكّم بردّات الفعل.
فكم من العلاقات الاجتماعيّة والعائليّة قَضي عليها لهذا السّبب..
وكم من الصّداقات دمّرت بسببه أيضاً..
فرغم التّعريف البسيط
Stevie
Dec 16, 2008 Stevie rated it really liked it
Shelves: secular
Insightful book on the importance of relating well with others and being in tune with one's emotions.

Poignant Quotes:

...childhood and adolescence are critical windows of opportunity for setting down the essential emotional habits that will govern our lives.

...social intelligence is both distinct from academic abilities and a key part of what makes people do well in the practicalities of life.

social competence - how well or poorly people express their own feelings

With a complaint a person critici
Fatima abuzaied
ربما ما ينقصنا في هذا العالم المعقد القدرة على السيطرة على انفعالاتنا ... يتكلم جولمان في كتابه عن علاقة الذكاء وعدمه وفي التاثير على انفعالاتنا ... يربط ذلك فسيولوجيا دماغ الانسان ...
فقد اثبت علميا ان الكثير من الاذكياء دراسيا هم اغبياء اجتماعيا... على النقيض هناك ممن اعتبرهم اغبياء دراسيا كانوا اذكياء عاطفيا ..
وعليه يرى جولمان انه من الضروري ان يتم تعليم الذكاء العاطفي في المدارس كما يتم دراسة القراءة والكتابة والحساب...

يعرض الكثير من المشاكل التي تواجه المجتمع؛ الاطفال,الازاواج ,مشاكل العمل ,
Lize
Oct 16, 2010 Lize rated it liked it
When I first read this book in 1995--the year it was published--it was required reading for my job in human resources consulting, and I found it amazing and insightful. Fifteen years later it still has some good things to say, but knowing how we've not only ignored Goleman's advice but actually run in the opposite direction (empathy, anyone?) it just made me sad.

The book concerns itself with a key set of characteristics he calls 'emotional intelligence': abilities such as being able to motivate
Helmi Abdulaziz
Oct 12, 2012 Helmi Abdulaziz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
الذكاء العاطفي

دانييل جولمان

عرض:مجتبي العلوي ..عن سلسلة عالم المعرفة صدر كتاب (الذكاء العاطفي) ، محتوياً على ثلاثة أقسام مع مقدمة، يقدم المؤلف في هذا الكتاب طريقاً جديداً للنظر في جذور أسباب أمراض الأسر والمجتمعات، ويدعو فيه إلى ثقافة العقل والقلب معاً. قام المؤلف في هذا الكتاب برحلة تأمل علمي ثاقب في عواطف الإنسان، نفهم منها معنى الذكاء، وكيفية ارتباطه بالعاطفة، ونطلع عبر صفحاته على مملكة المشاعر وتأثيرها في مسار حياتنا.

اعتمد المؤلف

على الأبحاث الطبية والدراسات التي أجريت على الدماغ البشري خلال
TarasProkopyuk
В самом названии книги «Эмоциональный интеллект. Почему он может значить больше, чем IQ» уже многое сказано о чём в ней автор будет нам повествовать. Но не смотря на то, что я ожидал многого от книги я и близко не смог предположить, что она будет настолько прекрасной! Автор в своей книге очень методично и систематично смог доступно объяснить почему казалось бы похожие внешне люди так сильно отличаются друг от друга главным образом не интеллектом, а эмоциональным богатством, более нам знакомому к ...more
Paul Fulcher
May 19, 2015 Paul Fulcher rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
A difficult book to review and my 2 stars are an honest reflection on what I gained personally from reading the book, rather than what the world gained from the book having been written.

This was clearly a groundbreaking and seminal work, particularly in bringing the important topic of emotional intelligence to a wide audience. However, that doesn't necessarily make it a worthwhile read 20 years later, particularly for those in search of practical advice.

There is a significant focus on how the b
Hanne
I'm wondering whether this book is perhaps a bit outdated. It is 20 years old, and many of the things we take for granted now might not have been at the time. This book, above anything else, feels like a massive pamphlet to tell us that emotional intelligence is critical. And it shows what happens if we don't have it (either because of brain malfunctioning or bad parenting).

This day and age I think very few people still need convincing that there is such a thing as emotional intelligence; we al
Thomas
Dec 16, 2013 Thomas rated it really liked it
A great book that delves into the science behind emotional intelligence, the components that comprise the trait, and the practical applications of possessing EI. While I knew a decent amount of the information beforehand as a Psychology student, several points stood out to me, such as the explanation of child molesters' mindsets, the idea that abused children gain heightened emotional perceptiveness, and almost all of the brain-related information. My favorite sections appeared toward the end, w ...more
Wendy Yu
Aug 05, 2011 Wendy Yu rated it really liked it
The funny thing about reading old seminal books that have already made their point is that your natural attitude toward their genius society-shaking discoveries is "duh"

Emotions are important. duh.
Emotional competence is a better predictor of success than intelligence. duh!
Once you recognize your emotions, they lose their power, as you are more able to manage with reason. duh! duh!
Anger works like Super Mario Bros., triggering events in quick succession cause you to jump up higher and higher un
Mustafa Siyam
May 06, 2016 Mustafa Siyam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
يشير الكاتب الى وجود نوع اخر من الذكاء لا يقل اهميه عن الذكاء المنطقي المتعارف عليه وهو الذكاء العاطفي , وأهمية هذا الذكاء في حياة الانسان المهنيه والاجتماعيه والاسريه حيث ان كثير من اصحاب الذكاء المنطقي المرتفع لم يكونوا من الموفقين في الحياه المهنيه او الاجتماعيه وعلى العكس من ذلك كان اصحاب الذكاء المنطقي المنخفض ولكن ممن امتلكوا ذكاء عاطفي مرتفع اكثر تفوقا ونجاحا على الصعيد المهني والاجتماعي والعاطفي .. ويشير الكاتب ايضا الى اهمية التركيز على هذا الذكاء وتدريسه للطلاب في المدارس والمؤسسات الت ...more
Mahmoud Haggui
Nov 25, 2015 Mahmoud Haggui rated it really liked it
إذا كنت تعتقد بأن الذكاء هو "الوظائف العقلية الأعلى" او التفكير المنطقى السليم، فعليك أن تأخذ تأثير العواطف المسيطرة على أحكامك بعين الإعتبار. او بالأحرى عليك قراءة هذا الكتاب. الذى يزعزع نظرية "بينيت" القائلة بالقيمة المنطقية الصرفة.. يقول جولمان " إن وصف البشرية بأنها جنس مفكر هو وصف خادع و مضلل". فبشكل او باَخر من الممكن ألا يسفر الذكاء عن شيئ حين تسيطر الانفاعالات على زمام الأمور.
Ashwaq Alduraibi
الكتاب يصف الذكاء العاطفي بإسلوب علمي مقترنا باﻷبحاث والتجارب التي ساهم بها الكاتب وغيرة من العلماء والباحثين في هذا الموضوع
يعطي الكتاب صورة واضحة ومتكاملة لمفوم الذكاء العاطفي ويساعدك على بيان حقيقة الابحاث الجديدة التي اكدت أن نسبة نجاح الفرد في الحياة تعتمد على نسبة 85% ذكاء عاطفي وال15% ذكاء عقلي.
رحلة علمية ممتعة
Andreea
Aug 25, 2015 Andreea rated it it was amazing
Daniel Goleman’s book is my definition of a great read. Before reading it I thought emotional intelligence was mostly about empathy, but what I actually learned is that you first need to understand your own feelings and reactions. I am not a fan of self-help books so I really enjoyed the combination of scientific explanations, experiments, social impact studies and real life examples the author provided.

Our emotional circuits have been shaped during years of evolution, but it can happen that an
Emtional Intelligence 2 31 Feb 06, 2016 07:24AM
So far 13 160 Oct 26, 2014 05:20AM
  • The Emotional Brain: The Mysterious Underpinnings of Emotional Life
  • Changing Minds: The Art And Science of Changing Our Own And Other People's Minds
  • Emotions Revealed: Recognizing Faces and Feelings to Improve Communication and Emotional Life
  • The Theory and Practice of Group Psychotherapy
  • Six Thinking Hats Revised Edition
  • The Wisdom of Teams: Creating the High-Performance Organization
  • The Personality Code: Unlock the Secret to Understanding Your Boss, Your Colleagues, Your Friends...and Yourself!
  • The Age of Unreason
  • Learned Optimism: How to Change Your Mind and Your Life
  • The Drama of the Gifted Child: The Search for the True Self
  • Motivation and Personality
  • Coaching For Performance: Growing People, Performance and Purpose
  • On Death and Dying
  • 50 Psychology Classics: Who We Are, How We Think, What We Do: Insight and Inspiration from 50 Key Books
  • Please Understand Me II: Temperament, Character, Intelligence
  • Emotional Alchemy: How the Mind Can Heal the Heart
  • Managing Your Mind: The Mental Fitness Guide
  • The Developing Mind: How Relationships and the Brain Interact to Shape Who We Are
Author of Emotional Intelligence and psychologist Daniel Goleman has transformed the way the world educates children, relates to family and friends, and conducts business. The Wall Street Journal ranked him one of the 10 most influential business thinkers.

Goleman’s Emotional Intelligence was on The New York Times best sellers list for a year-and-a-half. Named one of the 25 "Most Influential Busine
More about Daniel Goleman...

“In a very real sense we have two minds, one that thinks and one that feels” 71 likes
“A belligerent samurai, an old Japanese tale goes, once challenged a Zen master to explain the concept of heaven and hell. The monk replied with scorn, "You're nothing but a lout - I can't waste my time with the likes of you!"
His very honor attacked, the samurai flew into a rage and, pulling his sword from its scabbard, yelled "I could kill you for your impertinence."
"That," the monk calmly replied, "is hell."
Startled at seeing the truth in what the master pointed out about the fury that had him in its grip, the samurai calmed down, sheathed his sword, and bowed, thanking the monk for the insight.
"And that,"said the monk "is heaven."

The sudden awakening of the samurai to his own agitated state illustrates the crucial difference between being caught up in a feeling and becoming aware that you are being swept away by it. Socrates's injunction "Know thyself" speaks to the keystone of emotional intelligence: awareness of one's own feelings as they occur.”
23 likes