Emotional Intelligence: Why It Can Matter More Than IQ

Emotional Intelligence: Why It Can Matter More Than IQ

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  30,543 ratings  ·  873 reviews
Everyone knows that high IQ is no guarantee of success, happiness, or virtue, but until Emotional Intelligence, we could only guess why. Daniel Goleman's brilliant report from the frontiers of psychology and neuroscience offers startling new insight into our "two minds"--the rational and the emotional--and how they together shape our destiny. Through vivid examples, Golema...more
Hardcover, 10th Anniversary Edition, 358 pages
Published September 26th 2006 by Bantam Books (first published January 1st 1378)

Jim
This visionary book by Daniel Goleman is one of the most important in my collection. I see it as a seminal contribution to understanding the human condition, and a roadmap of practical steps for living better, both within ourselves and with those around us.

I begin by recommending the excellent review by Lars - a clear, well-written summary of the major points in the book.

Here I will focus on 3 topics from the book: 1) the evolution of brain mechanisms for emotional and rational behavior; 2) how...more
Andy
It certainly contains a lot of useful info, but boy, is it ever dense! Reading it is like hacking your way through a dense jungle with a dull machete. It must also be noted that it is most definitely of the school of 80's/90's "hard-wired" thinking about the brain, and hard-sells the view that, to put it simply, mind comes from brain, and not the other way around. In other words, nature, not nurture. (For comparison, try Sharon Begley's Train Your Mind, Change Your Brain, which, oddly enough, ha...more
Tina
I read this book after a big break up and it really opened my eyes to how I contributed to that break up. It's extremely important to have emotional intelligence and this is a fascinating discussion behind the theory and sscience of EI.
Heba Nouraldeen
هذا الكتاب لا يستحق القراءه فحسب ..بل يستحق الدراسه..
بقلبه يرى الأنسان الرؤيه الصحيحه ..فالعين لا ترى الجوهر
تجنب الأندفاع
القدره على اتخاذ القرارات العاطفيه
توجيه العلاقات الانسانيه بمعنى القدره على الأستماع للاخر والنظر بمنظور الأخرين

Lars Guthrie
After several years of looking at this seminal work on my to-read list, I am happy to have finally read it. It should be on the to-read list of educators and parents.

To learn and to grow, children first need to be ready to learn and to grow. However, how and what we need to learn today can differ significantly from the requirements of our ancestors. Evolution equipped us with an early warning system, the limbic system of our brains and its marvelous filter, the amygdala.

This system connects se...more
Kristl
Apr 30, 2007 Kristl rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who throws things when angry or doesn't cry, ever
I had to read this book for a leadership academy I was in and I found this to be a surprisingly good experience.

The book introduces and explains the concept of "emotional intelligence," which, since beginning to read the book, I see is so much more important than almost any other awareness one could have on a day-to-day basis personally and professionally.

Don't be shocked, if, in describing the many levels of emotional intelligence or lack thereof, you immediately think of friends, family, and c...more
Katja
Emotional Intelligence produced such conflicting feelings in me that I am torn as to what to write about it. For the most part, it is well-written, intelligent and compelling. The messages are simple yet profound, and I have to agree that the importance of social and emotional skills can’t be understated. At one point I swear the book actually read my mind as I was reading it. On some level I think Daniel Goleman and I think in much the same way, and even though the book is 15 years old now, on...more
Taka
Descriptive but not very practical--

The main and only thesis of the book is: emotional intelligence is important. That's it. Goleman spends over 13 hours in this audiobook to pretty much buttress the thesis with evidence from various sources including psychology, medicine, and educational programs.

The content is interesting at times but overall, the message got repetitive and I was looking for any useful information to put to use in my daily life from the book to no avail.

Unfortunately the book...more
Gage
Aug 15, 2007 Gage marked it as to-read
If you're like me, you're extremely leery of anything that reeks of pop psychology. But Emotional Intelligence has no such odor. First, author Daniel Goleman is the real deal. He has his PhD, of course, as do many snake oil salesmen, but unlike these others, Goleman has academic street cred: he founded an institute at Yale, heads up another at Rutgers, and wrote science columns for the New York Times.

At first glance, I can see that this book, though written more than 10 years ago, still packs a...more
Jim
There are some interesting things in the book, things that are hard to disagree with, such as emotional skills and self-knowledge are important. I think a lot of people who liked this book focused on that self-help aspect. I have no problem with that. My problems with this book stem from the wider claims Goleman makes for EQ as a mental function.

Goleman bases this aspect of his theory on some whopping assumptions. The biggest one is the idea that emotional intelligence even exists. The main asp...more
Stevie
Insightful book on the importance of relating well with others and being in tune with one's emotions.

Poignant Quotes:

...childhood and adolescence are critical windows of opportunity for setting down the essential emotional habits that will govern our lives.

...social intelligence is both distinct from academic abilities and a key part of what makes people do well in the practicalities of life.

social competence - how well or poorly people express their own feelings

With a complaint a person critici...more
Cheryl in CC NV
Pretty good. A little incomplete, because so much research has been done since, but more careful, plausible, and ultimately 'right' than the other related books I've been reading recently. I particularly appreciate the many times he says "probably" and "might" and "often" - even the subtitle has the word "can" in it. And not an arrogant, self-centered "we" in the book - yay!

Btw, it's not a self-help book. And it's dense only if you don't have experience reading other popular science books. It's...more
Thomas
A great book that delves into the science behind emotional intelligence, the components that comprise the trait, and the practical applications of possessing EI. While I knew a decent amount of the information beforehand as a Psychology student, several points stood out to me, such as the explanation of child molesters' mindsets, the idea that abused children gain heightened emotional perceptiveness, and almost all of the brain-related information. My favorite sections appeared toward the end, w...more
Helmi Abdulaziz
الذكاء العاطفي

دانييل جولمان

عرض:مجتبي العلوي ..عن سلسلة عالم المعرفة صدر كتاب (الذكاء العاطفي) ، محتوياً على ثلاثة أقسام مع مقدمة، يقدم المؤلف في هذا الكتاب طريقاً جديداً للنظر في جذور أسباب أمراض الأسر والمجتمعات، ويدعو فيه إلى ثقافة العقل والقلب معاً. قام المؤلف في هذا الكتاب برحلة تأمل علمي ثاقب في عواطف الإنسان، نفهم منها معنى الذكاء، وكيفية ارتباطه بالعاطفة، ونطلع عبر صفحاته على مملكة المشاعر وتأثيرها في مسار حياتنا.

اعتمد المؤلف

على الأبحاث الطبية والدراسات التي أجريت على الدماغ البشري خلال...more
Joy H.
RE: _Emotional Intelligence: 10th Anniversary Edition; Why It Can Matter More Than IQ_ by Daniel Goleman (first published 1995)
Added 6/5/11.
I recently came across some old notes of mine which indicated that I had listened to an audio-tape of this book. My notes said:
============================================
"I think we all can be impatient at times (often with good reason), but it's how we handle that emotion which really matters. On the audiotape entitled: "Emotional Intelligence", the autho...more
Robin
Though a tad repetitive and probably a bit dated with its science I was blown away by this book. I usually avoid all self-help books but gave this one ago after being recommended by my therapist. The authors ability to explain the emotional brain and systems involved in them really helped me come to accept the need to integrate emotions w/ rationality. That the control and development of emotions is not a sign of weakness but actually helps you become a fuller human being and to experience a bet...more
Ednatee
Every person must be able to understand and master his emotions if they are to succeed in life. Personal relationships suffer if they are left
unattended and ignored. Emotions can enrich our life as well as cause deprivation.

During the Victorian era, emotions were suppressed, and not often shown. Being emotional was a sign of weakness, impolite or even unwelcomed. People strove mightily to cover or contain their emotions. Not knowing how to express them properly, they chose not to express emotio...more
Greg
This book has been around for a number of years. Shortly after it was published, I read an article in "Readers Digest" about it. The concept of emotional intelligence made sense to me. Well, now I've read the entire book.

This book is well-referenced, providing a mix of the physiological basis for the "emotional brain" as well as the practical realization of how emotions play out in our lives. While I don't agree with the author's evolutionary basis for the development of the brain and its impact...more
Lize
When I first read this book in 1995--the year it was published--it was required reading for my job in human resources consulting, and I found it amazing and insightful. Fifteen years later it still has some good things to say, but knowing how we've not only ignored Goleman's advice but actually run in the opposite direction (empathy, anyone?) it just made me sad.

The book concerns itself with a key set of characteristics he calls 'emotional intelligence': abilities such as being able to motivate...more
Janet
I caught the "emotional intelligence" conversation early on with reading this seminal work by Daniel Goleman, and followed his work and then Boysatkis' work on Resonant Leadership. All of these books make the case that IQ is not as important as EQ. As the books and research progress (At Work, Primal leadership, Resonant Leadership), distinctions of what are key EQ skills are are shared. An extra step for me in my own self development of EQ was to learn how to listen to my heart versus staying in...more
Realini
Emotional Intelligence by Daniel Goleman

Einstein told the Nobel committee- do not give the prize to Freud, he is just a psychologist…I have just learned that, watching a video with a lecture on psychology, from Yale- on YouTube. The fact is I can find quite a number of great, perhaps even giants of psychology on the same YouTube: as I write this I listen to Martin Seligman on positive psychology, there is Eric Berne and many more.

Emotional Intelligence: there’s a new concept for me- for a long t...more
Ayame Sohma
Before embarking on his gargantuan research project (which includes several meta-analyses and decades of research, galloped along by recent advances in brain imaging technology) Daniel Goleman writes a compelling and convincing case, eschewing jargon and esoteric terminology for a more humanistic and compassionate argument. He was not overreacting when he saw American society looming towards a cliff of violence, signs of which included school shootings. All over the world, children are doing wor...more
Wendy Yu
The funny thing about reading old seminal books that have already made their point is that your natural attitude toward their genius society-shaking discoveries is "duh"

Emotions are important. duh.
Emotional competence is a better predictor of success than intelligence. duh!
Once you recognize your emotions, they lose their power, as you are more able to manage with reason. duh! duh!
Anger works like Super Mario Bros., triggering events in quick succession cause you to jump up higher and higher un...more
Ann
This book is such a powerful reference & insights on understanding how people function in society and interact with each other, convincing his ideas with compact data and finding. Everyone knows that high IQ is no guarantee of success, happiness, or virtue and every person must be able to understand and master his emotions if they are to succeed in life. It gives a lot of interesting background on how these things impact all our daily lives--from professional relationships to personal ones....more
Fatima abuzaied
ربما ما ينقصنا في هذا العالم المعقد القدرة على السيطرة على انفعالاتنا ... يتكلم جولمان في كتابه عن علاقة الذكاء وعدمه وفي التاثير على انفعالاتنا ... يربط ذلك فسيولوجيا دماغ الانسان ...
فقد اثبت علميا ان الكثير من الاذكياء دراسيا هم اغبياء اجتماعيا... على النقيض هناك ممن اعتبرهم اغبياء دراسيا كانوا اذكياء عاطفيا ..
وعليه يرى جولمان انه من الضروري ان يتم تعليم الذكاء العاطفي في المدارس كما يتم دراسة القراءة والكتابة والحساب...

يعرض الكثير من المشاكل التي تواجه المجتمع؛ الاطفال,الازاواج ,مشاكل العمل ,...more
Ashwaq Alduraibi
الكتاب يصف الذكاء العاطفي بإسلوب علمي مقترنا باﻷبحاث والتجارب التي ساهم بها الكاتب وغيرة من العلماء والباحثين في هذا الموضوع
يعطي الكتاب صورة واضحة ومتكاملة لمفوم الذكاء العاطفي ويساعدك على بيان حقيقة الابحاث الجديدة التي اكدت أن نسبة نجاح الفرد في الحياة تعتمد على نسبة 85% ذكاء عاطفي وال15% ذكاء عقلي.
رحلة علمية ممتعة
Nojood Alsudairi
One of those books that you need to read to learn more about yourself and those around you.
Mark
I expected much more from this book based on all the hype. I didn't find it helpful for much of anything except for providing justification for the continuing existence of the behavioral and social science professions.

Coleman makes a case for the increasing implementation of emotional intelligence development skills in the classroom... but really doesn't give many specifics. What of other emotions beside anger?

Secondly, in my opinion there should be emphasis on helping these skills to be impleme...more
Tony duncan
May 07, 2008 Tony duncan rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: emotions, and living life well
Shelves: politics
Why am I only giving this two stars, when i am SOO into the impotance of emotions.

Well it is because i don;t think Goleman understands the research that he uses to support his ideas. And I think he doesn't understand the real purpose of emotions and how the are the source of emotional intelligence.

his basic premise though you have to look through a thicket to realize this is what it comes down to, is that emotions are these things that get in the way of thinking clearly.
that is just flat out wro...more
Elizabeth
BOOKS ON TAPE # 4055 Read by Barrett Whitener 9 cassettes UNABRIDGED
9 cassetes
tape 1 ch 1 The word emotion shows us that the feeling shows us what to move away from.

The emotions of anger, fear, happiness, love, surprise, disgust, sadness have physiological behaviors which help us move away from some threat or embody some hormonal/brain function which dampens other emotions.

Has an evolutionary perspective:"The protracted period of evolution when these emotional responces were [formed:]...was a t...more
So far 13 127 Mar 07, 2014 07:49AM
  • The Emotional Brain: The Mysterious Underpinnings of Emotional Life
  • Learned Optimism: How to Change Your Mind and Your Life
  • Please Understand Me II: Temperament, Character, Intelligence
  • Out of the Crisis
  • Motivation and Personality
  • On Becoming a Person: A Therapist's View of Psychotherapy
  • Frames Of Mind: The Theory Of Multiple Intelligences
  • The Essential Drucker: The Best of Sixty Years of Peter Drucker's Essential Writings on Management
  • The Six Pillars of Self-Esteem:  The Definitive Work on Self-Esteem by the Leading Pioneer in the Field
  • First Things First
  • Flow: The Psychology of Optimal Experience
  • On Becoming a Leader: The Leadership Classic--Updated and Expanded
  • Difficult Conversations: How to Discuss What Matters Most
  • Emotional Alchemy: How the Mind Can Heal the Heart
  • The Fifth Discipline: The Art & Practice of The Learning Organization
  • The Personality Code: Unlock the Secret to Understanding Your Boss, Your Colleagues, Your Friends...and Yourself!
  • Emotions Revealed: Recognizing Faces and Feelings to Improve Communication and Emotional Life
  • The Drama of the Gifted Child: The Search for the True Self
Author of Emotional Intelligence and psychologist Daniel Goleman has transformed the way the world educates children, relates to family and friends, and conducts business. The Wall Street Journal ranked him one of the 10 most influential business thinkers.

Goleman’s Emotional Intelligence was on The New York Times best sellers list for a year-and-a-half. Named one of the 25 "Most Influential Busine...more
More about Daniel Goleman...
Social Intelligence: The New Science of Human Relationships Primal Leadership: Realizing the Power of Emotional Intelligence Working with Emotional Intelligence Destructive Emotions: A Scientific Dialogue with the Dalai Lama Focus: The Hidden Driver of Excellence

“In a very real sense we have two minds, one that thinks and one that feels” 40 likes
“A belligerent samurai, an old Japanese tale goes, once challenged a Zen master to explain the concept of heaven and hell. The monk replied with scorn, "You're nothing but a lout - I can't waste my time with the likes of you!"
His very honor attacked, the samurai flew into a rage and, pulling his sword from its scabbard, yelled "I could kill you for your impertinence."
"That," the monk calmly replied, "is hell."
Startled at seeing the truth in what the master pointed out about the fury that had him in its grip, the samurai calmed down, sheathed his sword, and bowed, thanking the monk for the insight.
"And that,"said the monk "is heaven."

The sudden awakening of the samurai to his own agitated state illustrates the crucial difference between being caught up in a feeling and becoming aware that you are being swept away by it. Socrates's injunction "Know thyself" speaks to the keystone of emotional intelligence: awareness of one's own feelings as they occur.”
18 likes