Start by marking “The Zanzibar Cat” as Want to Read:
The Zanzibar Cat

The Zanzibar Cat

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  78 ratings  ·  10 reviews
The Zanzibar Cat is a feminist science fiction collection of short stories by Joanna Russ, first published in 1983 by Arkham House. It was the author's first collection of short fiction and was published in an edition of 3,526 copies. The story, "When It Changed", won a Nebula Award in 1972. "Old Thoughts, Old Balances" won a 1977 O. Henry Prize under the title "The Autobi ...more
Hardcover, First Edition, First Printing, 244 pages
Published November 1st 1983 by Sauk City: Arkham House

To ask other readers questions about The Zanzibar Cat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Zanzibar Cat

Wayne Spiceland
Like any anthology, there are some stories that stand out, both good and not so good. To me, though, it's worth getting if only for one story: "When It Changed." I've been reading science-fiction -- please don't use that repellent term "sci-fi" (which, as Harlan Ellison says should be pronounced "Skiffy") -- since the early 60s, and firmly rank the story in my all-time top ten short stories.
Think about it: I've been reading sf for about fifty years, so that's the top ten out of one helluva lot
Marie
The first two stories in this collection are great. "When It Changed" is the classic SF trope of astronauts (male) arriving on the planet of the Amazons, inverted because it is from the point of view of the Amazons, and their response is a resounding, "The hell?" It's touchingly told and nuanced. The second story, "The Extraordinary Voyages of Amelie Bertrand" is a send-up of old Jules Verne style prose, though of course more quickly paced, and is a delightful romp centered on a space/time rift ...more
Aaron
An odd blend of science fiction, fantasy, and feminism, there's an ambiguity to these stories that will either frustrate or enchant, depending on personal taste. I tend to enjoy such frustration, hence my rating.
Ian
Russ’s first collection, published first by Arkham House and then by, of all publishers, Baen. A more variable collection than I’d been expecting, perhaps because it contained so many of her early stories. I reviewed it for SF Mistressworks: https://sfmistressworks.wordpress.com...
Gabriel C.
Uneven. Great where it's great. Flat where it's flat. Occasionally quite inspired. Occasionally hallucinatory in the way that I associate almost exclusively with the awakening into social consciousness of someone whose work has been concentrated in fantasy or science fiction. I am reminded of The Wind's Twelve Quarters. I don't remember my review there, but I wouldn't doubt it to have the same general feel.
Eileen
I had to take this back to the library about 2/3 done, but I liked it quite a lot. The stories here are all so different, it's almost surprising to realize they have the same author.
Liz
I didn't read every short story in here because some of them immediately exceeded my weird prose tolerance level. But it was still pretty good and the cover is bitchin!
Catherine
Collection of which I am deeply fond, in particular, "Phrases for Tourists" and "A Game of Vlet.:
Marvin
Jun 08, 2012 Marvin marked it as to-read
Shelves: fantasy
Had my copy for awhile and still haven't read it but I love the cover. That is one cool cat!
Nachtkind
Collection of short stories.
Ekel Adolf
Ekel Adolf marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2015
Skid Ahmed
Skid Ahmed marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2015
Marc Ouimet
Marc Ouimet marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2015
Anubha Singh
Anubha Singh marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2015
Emma
Emma marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2015
Annika Tuttle
Annika Tuttle marked it as to-read
May 24, 2015
Bridget
Bridget marked it as to-read
May 02, 2015
Lucy_k_p
Lucy_k_p marked it as to-read
May 02, 2015
Sara
Sara added it
Apr 14, 2015
xyz
xyz marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2015
Fletcher
Fletcher marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2015
&Z*
&Z* marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Star Songs of an Old Primate
  • The Planet On The Table
  • Artificial Things
  • Sister Alice
  • Life
  • Flight from Nevèrÿon (Return to Nevèrÿon, #3)
  • Blue Champagne
  • The Gorgon and Other Beastly Tales
  • Blind Voices
  • Melancholy Elephants
  • The Jaguar Hunter
  • The Northern Girl (Chronicles of Tornor, #3)
  • Buffalo Gals, Won't You Come Out Tonight
Joanna Russ was an American writer and feminist. She is the author of a number of works of science fiction, fantasy and feminist literary criticism and is best known for The Female Man, a novel combining utopian fiction and satire. It uses the device of parallel worlds as a form of a mediation of the ways that different societies might produce very different versions of the same person, and how al ...more
More about Joanna Russ...
The Female Man How to Suppress Women's Writing We Who Are About To... Picnic on Paradise The Adventures of Alyx