The Zanzibar Cat

The Zanzibar Cat

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  68 ratings  ·  9 reviews
The Zanzibar Cat is a feminist science fiction collection of short stories by Joanna Russ, first published in 1983 by Arkham House. It was the author's first collection of short fiction and was published in an edition of 3,526 copies. The story, "When It Changed", won a Nebula Award in 1972. "Old Thoughts, Old Balances" won a 1977 O. Henry Prize under the title "The Autobi...more
Hardcover, First Edition, First Printing, 244 pages
Published November 1st 1983 by Sauk City: Arkham House

Marie
The first two stories in this collection are great. "When It Changed" is the classic SF trope of astronauts (male) arriving on the planet of the Amazons, inverted because it is from the point of view of the Amazons, and their response is a resounding, "The hell?" It's touchingly told and nuanced. The second story, "The Extraordinary Voyages of Amelie Bertrand" is a send-up of old Jules Verne style prose, though of course more quickly paced, and is a delightful romp centered on a space/time rift...more
Aaron
An odd blend of science fiction, fantasy, and feminism, there's an ambiguity to these stories that will either frustrate or enchant, depending on personal taste. I tend to enjoy such frustration, hence my rating.
Wayne Spiceland
Like any anthology, there are some stories that stand out, both good and not so good. To me, though, it's worth getting if only for one story: "When It Changed." I've been reading science-fiction -- please don't use that repellent term "sci-fi" (which, as Harlan Ellison says should be pronounced "Skiffy") -- since the early 60s, and firmly rank the story in my all-time top ten short stories.
Think about it: I've been reading sf for about fifty years, so that's the top ten out of one helluva lot...more
Gabriel C.
Uneven. Great where it's great. Flat where it's flat. Occasionally quite inspired. Occasionally hallucinatory in the way that I associate almost exclusively with the awakening into social consciousness of someone whose work has been concentrated in fantasy or science fiction. I am reminded of The Wind's Twelve Quarters. I don't remember my review there, but I wouldn't doubt it to have the same general feel.
Eileen
I had to take this back to the library about 2/3 done, but I liked it quite a lot. The stories here are all so different, it's almost surprising to realize they have the same author.
Liz
I didn't read every short story in here because some of them immediately exceeded my weird prose tolerance level. But it was still pretty good and the cover is bitchin!
Catherine
Collection of which I am deeply fond, in particular, "Phrases for Tourists" and "A Game of Vlet.:
Marvin
Jun 08, 2012 Marvin marked it as to-read
Shelves: fantasy
Had my copy for awhile and still haven't read it but I love the cover. That is one cool cat!
Nachtkind
Collection of short stories.
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Mygale
Mygale marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2014
Kristine Speare
Kristine Speare marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2014
D
D marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2014
Joshua
Joshua marked it as to-read
May 15, 2014
Reg
Reg added it
May 14, 2014
Ross Scott-buccleuch
Ross Scott-buccleuch marked it as to-read
May 09, 2014
Alper Kumcu
Alper Kumcu marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2014
K Davis
K Davis marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2014
Angela
Angela marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2014
Andyhat
Andyhat marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2014
Anne Marie Aschim
Anne Marie Aschim marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2014
Tom
Tom marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2014
Rachel
Rachel is currently reading it
Jan 25, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Joanna Russ was an American writer and feminist. She is the author of a number of works of science fiction, fantasy and feminist literary criticism and is best known for The Female Man, a novel combining utopian fiction and satire. It uses the device of parallel worlds as a form of a mediation of the ways that different societies might produce very different versions of the same person, and how al...more
More about Joanna Russ...
The Female Man How to Suppress Women's Writing We Who Are About To... Picnic on Paradise The Adventures of Alyx