Start by marking “The Pop-Up Book of Phobias” as Want to Read:
The Pop-Up Book of Phobias

The Pop-Up Book of Phobias

Fear of heights, fear of spiders, fear of flying, fear of death--everyone is afraid of something. And these pop-ups place you in the hot seat--whether it's the dentist's chair as the drill comes spinning toward you; looking over the edge of a skyscraper whose sheer face plummets thousands of feet to the sidewalk far below; or the window seat of a plane as the oxygen mask ...more
Published October 20th 1999 by Rob Weisbach Books

To ask other readers questions about The Pop-Up Book of Phobias, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Pop-Up Book of Phobias

Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakMadeline by Ludwig BemelmansThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleThe Stinky Cheese Man and Other Fairly Stupid Tales by Jon ScieszkaThe Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss
Favorite picture books
32nd out of 343 books — 214 voters
The Host by Stephenie MeyerLegend by Marie LuTen by Gretchen McNeilBlood Red Road by Moira YoungNever Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro
Books I Must Read Before 2013
18th out of 60 books — 21 voters

More lists with this book...

Brea
description

This was cool, but kind of unimpressive.
I thought it would be a little more detailed and contain more than the most commonly known phobias.

The artwork was super cool though.
The pop-ups were legit!
Kate
Dec 13, 2010 Kate rated it liked it
I came across this title on the blog Awful Library Books and just had to see it for myself. Pretty much everything you are afraid of comes jumping off the pages right in your face. Some were not so scary (acrophobia, claustrophobia) but others, like the fears for clowns and dentists, were pretty good. More funny than informative...
Linda
Mar 16, 2015 Linda rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Michael Kindness
Recommended to Linda by: Melissa Runkle
Shelves: 2015
This book is phenomenal.The book includes 10 common phobias with a short explanation and a center pop-up, well thought out to illustrate. I do question the cover of the book which has 3 tiny illustrations, but only one is covered in the book. A very quick read.
Kimberly Ann
Feb 10, 2016 Kimberly Ann rated it really liked it

I HATED the clown.....but it's not a phobia. I Never even thought much of clowns until I became an adult, way into my 40's...then I realized that they are grotesque and eerie.

But I liked the rest....my favorites (they made me giggle): The Dentist, The Skyscraper, The SNAKES....after the snakes the spider was disappointing.

I only gave this a 3 because it was only entertaining, but not in a lasting way.....there wasn't much "substance" by way of "reading material".
May C.
Aug 17, 2010 May C. rated it it was amazing
Your phobias leap out at you in realistic paper-folding art of Pop-up books. Pop-up books are just so much fun. I remember reading one at an Airport play area as a kid, I wish I remembered what its called because it was this charming Fantasy Pop-up book, one of its pages had a detailed, gigantic tree house, with little rooms inside, etc. Anyway this one is a silly way to spook people with. There's also other series by the same creator, as well.
Andrew
Dec 20, 2014 Andrew rated it really liked it
The pop-up architecture in this book is really impressive & creative! And the content is really informative too. It doesn't just tell you what each phobia is—it also tells you about common treatments & brief theories about how these phobias came to exist in certain cultures. I only wish there were more phobias to read about!
Allison
Jun 06, 2016 Allison rated it it was amazing
"Read" may be too strong a thing to say, as it's a pop-up book. But it sits on my coffee table and every once in a while I can't help but thumb through it. The author shares a similarly strange sense of humor with me, or is very good at pandering to people like me. Either way I am consistently amused. And the cover makes it looks good on my coffee table, so there's that.
Kay
Aug 03, 2007 Kay rated it it was amazing
I simply HAD to have this perverse gem for my pop-up book collection. The phobias include fear of spiders, heights, dentists, clowns, and death. For each phobia, the paper art virtual leaps with impressive menace from the page. There's a gleeful sense of the macabre to it all. Edward Gorey would approve.
Katie
Oct 13, 2012 Katie rated it really liked it
Shelves: art, nonfiction
The text isn't anything special...just the definition of the various phobias included. The Pop-up part is what makes it special. Really well done. I never thought too much about the mechanics of these books, but it takes some artistic and mathematical skills to get pictures to move and pop up and out as expected.
Hope
Jun 12, 2016 Hope rated it liked it
It was alright, nothing special. There's nothing terrifying about the book or anything. Each section has a pop-up depicting a particular phobia (spiders, snakes, heights, etc.) and a brief definition, including the technical term for it and a brief background explanation, often including how common it is as well as why it is rational (or irrational).
Jillian
Aug 03, 2013 Jillian rated it really liked it
Bought for a dollar from my local library. Pretty cool. I even got a little vertigo from the fear of heights page, and I'm not even afraid of heights. I plan on giving this as a gift to someone who doesn't mind a slightly used, pretty quirky gift.
Lori
Apr 22, 2011 Lori rated it liked it
Recommends it for: anyone with a phobia
Someone was giving this away at work. It is really really interesting but written in a humorous way. I enjoyed reading about the different phobias in this fun pop-up book - the pop-ups were creative, well-made and entertaining! I wish there were even more phobias like Fear of Vacuum Cleaners.
Daria
Jul 19, 2008 Daria rated it really liked it
This book is delightfully creepy! Giant spiders, snakes, and clowns pop out at you. It also depicts the phobias of the dentist, heights, flying, and death. I use this book every time I teach psychology and my students LOVE it too!
Kimberly Hansen
Apr 19, 2016 Kimberly Hansen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
This book is very fun. Although the book is not very informational, the pop ups really can help students to understand why someone may have that phobia.
Yvensong
Dec 09, 2011 Yvensong rated it it was amazing
This is, by far, one of my favorite adult pop-up books. The common phobias jump out at you, as you turn each page, with brief descriptions of each.
Alice
Jan 23, 2014 Alice rated it it was amazing
Shelves: popups
This is the book that started my pop-up book collection. Nothing earth-shattering here, just an unusual and fun pop-up book for grownups.
Pierre A Renaud
Aug 14, 2015 Pierre A Renaud marked it as curiosities
Shelves: humor, strange-books
Sherry
Jun 16, 2009 Sherry rated it it was amazing
So funny! I especially like the pop up filthy toilet/restroom for mysophbia. Jared loves this book! Thanks Leslie!
Justin
I knew the spider was coming, so of course it was on the second-or-third-to-last page. Way to lay on the suspense, book.
Lulu
Dec 30, 2007 Lulu rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Popup book lovers, those with an appreciation of a good phobia
Shelves: popups
Although the crafting in this popup book is not as fine as Sabuda's, it provides a clever look at common phobias - nothing like having your fears jump out at you!
Giacomo Boccardo
May 31, 2011 Giacomo Boccardo rated it really liked it
Nel suo genere è davvero fatto bene e ha certi movimenti tutt'altro che banali. Peccato che non possano essere più lunghi questi libri :)
Erin
Apr 14, 2008 Erin rated it liked it
Shelves: pop-ups
really awesome concept - i love the idea of pop up books for grownups. i remember very little of the text, but the design is a hoot.
Elinor
Elinor rated it it was amazing
Jan 29, 2010
Andrew
Andrew rated it liked it
Oct 05, 2015
Crajelf
Crajelf rated it really liked it
Nov 12, 2011
Grant
Grant rated it it was amazing
Oct 24, 2014
John Lance
John Lance rated it it was amazing
Nov 09, 2012
Olivia
Olivia rated it it was amazing
Feb 22, 2008
Christopher Brand
Christopher Brand rated it it was amazing
Apr 17, 2014
Duff
Duff rated it it was amazing
Jun 18, 2015
  • America the Beautiful: America the Beautiful
  • The Stray Shopping Carts of Eastern North America: A Guide to Field Identification
  • The Pop-Up Book of M.C. Escher
  • Natural Fashion: Tribal Decoration from Africa
  • Mütter Museum: Historic Medical Photographs
  • Grandma's Dead: Breaking Bad News with Baby Animals
  • Dictator Style: Lifestyles of the World's Most Colorful Despots
  • The Book of Deadly Animals
  • Photo Idea Index: Explore New Ways to Capture and Create Exceptional Images with Digital Cameras and Software
  • The Bad Girl's Guide to the Open Road
  • Encyclopedia Mythologica: Fairies and Magical Creatures Pop-Up
  • Print Liberation: The Screen Printing Primer
  • Beginning to Heal
  • The Government Manual for New Superheroes
Librarian Note: There is more than one author by this name in the goodreads data base.
More about Gary Greenberg...