Start by marking “Fitzpatrick's War” as Want to Read:
Fitzpatrick's War

Fitzpatrick's War

In the twenty-sixth century the world is a very different place. The United States and Canada are gone, replaced by the socially rigid, authoritarian Confederacy of the Yukon. Also gone is the electronic age-destroyed in the apocalyptic Storm Times that devastated the globe and decimated the world's population in the late twenty-first century. It is now, once again, an age ...more
Published July 31st 2004 by DAW Books (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Fitzpatrick's War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fitzpatrick's War

Zach
Jun 10, 2016 Zach rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: post-apocalyptic
It's like someone figured out the premise for a novel that would appeal to me more than anything else in the world (a post-apocalyptic novel annotated by a revisionist historian after the re-emergence of civilization) and then set about disappointing me, on purpose, in every way they possibly could.
Rebecca N. McKinnon
Pros: - Depth of the worldbuilding here is just phenomenal. - One of the rare times expository, tell-not-show storytelling has actually engaged my reading. - High concept thematic plot filled with characters that intrigue (yes, even the unlikable ones).

Cons: - Dense prose interspersed with slow pacing caused me to return this library book a week late even after renewing it three times.

I recommend it, but you need to take your time with this one. Buy a used copy if you're broke. It'll cost you
Jacob
Aug 17, 2009 Jacob rated it really liked it
August 2009

Every good student of History knows of Lord Isaac Prophet Fitzpatrick, great Consul of the Yukon, the most heroic man of an heroic age. An Alexander the Great for the twenty-fifth century, he conquered the world in the name of the Confederacy before he was thirty; though his empire did not survive him, his life, his conquests, and his tragic death have been memorialized in the official histories, from Dr. Jonathan Gerald’s The Age of Fitzpatrick to the epic poem “From the Atlantic to
Ben  Davis
I picked up Fitzpatrick's War with bated expectations. The book begins well enough but the pacing starts to peter out as soon a the protagonist encounters a female. Judson decided that the women in his novel would be the exact opposite of the women in reality. I have never met a women whose first words to me were "Damn I want to fuck you so bad."
Judson goes on a horn-dog binge that begins with girls (some of them adolescents) throwing themselves at Bruce and gets topped off by translucent c
Jack
Dec 07, 2016 Jack rated it liked it
Creative tale following the career of a military officer from his time as a cadet and up the ranks, told in the larger context of the rise of a neo-Alexander the Great. The relationships and various military postings are reminiscent of W.E.B Griffin's Brotherhood of War series.

Described as a steampunk sci-fi novel, but the book primarily focused on the war-mongering NeoAlex and his cult of personality and megalomania, with the corresponding moral dilemmas of his officers and former classmates a
Michael Havens
Aug 08, 2008 Michael Havens rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Stempunk fans and those who like intellectual Science Fiction
I confess to be crazy for narrative technique and experimentation. One of my favorite books of all time is Vladimir Nabokov's 'Pale Fire'. Italio Calvino’s novels also some to mind, as does any work by Raymond Federman, who I had the honor of meeting at SDSU during Jewish Week almost nine years ago, and whose works are still some of my favorite reads. Theodore Judson’s Science Fiction novel, 'Fitzpatrick's War', utilizes the annotated notes of a "professor" in the same way as Nabokov's "editor ...more
Isabel (kittiwake)
A sort of madness overcame us; we had an infinity of bullets and an infinity of Chinese before us. Every one of our men felt he was killing thousands. Our infantry fired ever round the teamsters could carry to them; they fired until the raindrops sizzled on the rifle barrels.. Death ran wild. How terrible it is, I thought, that the Yukons should be so good at this.

It is the early 26th century and the Yukon Confederacy (whose lands include North America, Australia, Greenland, Iceland and the Brit
C Keel
Jun 14, 2016 C Keel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Modified from an original review for PPLD Teens.

This is a steampunky, military sci-fi novel that takes place in the 25th century and chronicles the life of Sir Robert Mayfair Bruce, an military engineer working for the United Yukon Confederacy, a vast empire that controls all of North America and large parts of the rest of the world. The book is written as a historical memoir/biography that has come under scrutiny for supposedly lying about the life of one the Confederacy's greatest leaders, an
Bill
Dec 15, 2008 Bill rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: noone
Despite what the jacket said about this book, it was neither made interesting used of the steampunk genre is hovers so closely around nor was it filled with anything of interest. I had been misled to believe that there would at least be some element of subterfuge, backhanded alliances, or anything that would have redeemed a novel about a scandalous, fictitious war. Instead the novel was filled with arrogant 20-somethings whose only purpose in life was to make snide comments about 20th and 21st c ...more
Jon
Aug 10, 2010 Jon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It turned out to be "future history" book about a 25th century where electricity was unusable due to the machinations of an elite technocratic secret society. In fact, the elite secret society schtick gets a bit tiring in SF novels, and it's probably the weakest point of this book. Fortunately, the society is not the primary focus of this book. Instead, it tells the story of one of Fitzpatrick's compatriots, Robert Bruce. Fitzpatrick is a latter-day Alexander the Great, conquering the world at a ...more
Bill
Aug 02, 2011 Bill rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my stepson's favorite book, which is why I read it. I would usually not be attracted to a fantasy science fiction novel. I was wrong to the extent that this book is much more than that. Essentially the thinly disguised retelling of Alexander the Great's story but set in an electricity-free 25th century, the book is clever and well written and contains enough action, compelling characters and a charming love story to keep things moving.

The book is structured as a memoir written by the mai
KT
Jul 16, 2016 KT rated it liked it
Shelves: steampunk
This is a very interesting book. Decent story, though somewhat predictable. I was sort of hoping the ending would have been bigger than it was.

I highly enjoyed the underlying feminist theme seen in Bruce's wife. She dominated him so much I almost didn't like her. Their relationship seemed very one-sided because Bruce was so submissive.

I think the Timermen should have had a bigger role. They were mentioned enough for the explanation in the end to make sense, but they had too big of a role in wor
Jeff Rowe
Aug 19, 2013 Jeff Rowe rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: steam
My 14 year old son raved about this so much I read it myself. It's listed as young-adult but it doesn't seem like YA in retrospect. The first half really drags. And his relationship with his eventual wife seems bizarre. In fact, the way women in general are portrayed seems strange. They totally dominate their men in private but have no role in public. And when I say dominate, I mean Dominate with a capital D where they provide only humiliation of which the men can't get enough. Weird. The second ...more
Reid
Dec 19, 2007 Reid rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun steampunk novel - postapocalyptic and medieval, the world as told by a retired military engineer and edited by a mainstream historian approximately a hundred years later. The book follows a fun storyline from the academy through an interesting war. The book fails on the clarity of the technology - especially when describing the vastly improved aircraft, it wasn't clear how the planes had such a greater range and speed. Small details sometimes irk the reader, especially when Judson gets lazy ...more
Chris
Starts off hilarious and ends up horrifying - the dystopia hit me harder than your average decaying near-future conurb because it manages to combine the worst aspects of feudalism, 19th century imperial complacency and modern rapacious capitalism and overlay them all with a breathtaking intellectual poverty. (It uses the edited-manuscript narrative conceit, which I predictably loved, but every time the 'editor' put in a footnote, I wanted to punch him.) I haven't starred it because I honestly ca ...more
Soren
Jan 17, 2008 Soren rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: enjoyed
If you've ever sat through an hour of Fox News, forced your head through the bowl of cold oatmeal that is the National Review, or tried and failed to read a really atrocious sci-fi war story, you need this book. It's one long, often melancholy, tongue-in-cheek jab at racism, militarism, manifest destiny, and the principle that butchery of one's enemies in war is somehow laudable.

Along with 'The Forever War' this is one of the few science-fiction novels to treat war as more than a garish freak-sh
Alan
Aug 13, 2008 Alan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
post-apocalyptic/steampunk. Beautifully fleshed out world. Luddites have destroyed the technological world and have established a theocratic feudal autocracy. As always, absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great characters and an interesting story structure (presented by a historian many year's after the event based on a found manuscript written by the title character's associate. The historian frequently annotates the story and offers his own opinions, hinting at the outcome of the story and it ...more
Brook
Jan 23, 2008 Brook rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A student recommended this book, and when he said that it was sci-fi I almost refused to read it. It was such a wonderful book that I immediately recommended it to a friend, who still has not read it, which is sad! I especially liked the book because of the futuristic application of feudalism. It takes places in the future, but the things that happen can all be related to occurances in the past.
Matt
Oct 18, 2015 Matt rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book is dull. I don't really know why I kept reading it, other than that I never hated it. It reads kind of like a much less funny and interesting version of one of the Flashman novels. The author introduced far too many characters, especially in the footnotes, who never really had any relevance. For a book that is largely about a slow build-up to military combat, the military combat part of the book is woefully underdeveloped and lame. Save your time and avoid this one.
Greg
Jan 28, 2015 Greg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite books. A mix of science fiction, fantasy, steampunk, politics and history. Very interesting the way this book is written as a novel inside a novel. Even though its fiction, it is very familiar to what is going on in our own world today and how we use history as a weapon. This was the third time I read it and I am still able to pick up on more subtleties that Judson makes in his book that parallels life today.
Kirsten
Jun 13, 2008 Kirsten rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: scifi or history fans
Very uneven - the good parts are extremely cool; the bad parts are extremely dull and boring. Let's just say I skimmed a few chapters in the middle. But those cool parts really make it worthwhile. A futuristic alterna-history, in which the second-in-command to someone who wants to be the next Alexander the Great. The book is written as a scholarly version of the narrator's memoirs - and the scholarly footnotes are absolutely brilliant and possibly the best part of the book.
eric
Dec 23, 2007 eric rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun alternative history. Sadly, as racist and colonialist as the early 20th c Anglos Judson idolizes. People of color show up as pitiful wretches in need of rescue, irrational savages, or incompetent fools. Strong conservative subtext here. Clearly longs for the 19th c, and all the good and bad that went with it.
Alejandra
Aug 13, 2008 Alejandra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I first heard about this book, I thought the idea of setting up a history of the future, so to speak, was intellectually stimulating. After having finished it, I've concluded that "intellectually stimulating" barely begins to describe such an emotionally wrenching and beautifully devastating novel.
Denise Cameron
Apr 15, 2013 Denise Cameron rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
I liked this book, mostly because I found Fitz fascinating. I also liked the ending, although I feel like they could have used the Timermen more.

Charlotte was a little 2-dimensional, but that may have been because it was supposed to be written from Robert's POV, and of course he'd see his wife as perfect. I also really liked the character Buck.
I.F. Adams
Mar 24, 2016 I.F. Adams rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An amazing setting and vibrant universe cover up for the shortfalls of some rather generic characters. Fitzpatricks war is told from the perspective of Robert Bruce, an army office when the leader of the Yukon Confederacy (a north american successor state) conquers the world ala Alexander the Great.
David
Jan 13, 2013 David rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love, love, love this book. It's steampunk, but not over he top at all. It's long and slow, like a good epic should be. It takes its time and lets us enjoy the fascinating world he's created here. Why was it never a more popular novel? I have no clue. It is tragically overlooked, from what I've seen.

BTW, why is there no ebook version? Curse you, publishers!
Rawle
Aug 13, 2011 Rawle rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
When do you just give up on a book? I made it through 195 pages of this book, and completely lost interest. Yes, I wanted to love it! Yes, I was hoping it would blow my mind. However it did not excite in the least. I haven't completely given up, but the more distance I get from it the more unlikely I am to want to revisit it.
Christopher
Jun 25, 2013 Christopher rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, fiction
This was truly a fantastic piece of historical criticism disguised as science fiction. Very slow to begin but the set up is worth the payoff. The added 'footnotes' by the official historian criticizing the guilt-ridden tell all format of the supposed hero's companion is both unique and interesting. One of the best books I have read in a long time.
Tori
Mar 12, 2015 Tori rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, sci-fi
Crazy good! lots of military and engineering jargon which is cool. All of the Game of Thrones politics. Truly a brilliant piece. The footnotes might be my favorite part of this book. Charlotte is sassy and lives up to her red hair and Bruce is honorable. definitely recommending to my bookworm friends.
Matti Tornio
May 14, 2014 Matti Tornio rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I started reading the book with high expectations but came away massively disappointed. The plot is extremely predictable and dry, characters are boring and one-dimensional and much of the world and science is poorly realized. In particular the characters of Fitz and Charlotte were completely unrealistic and I found them both extremely grating, obviously for very different reasons.
  • Boilerplate: History's Mechanical Marvel
  • Steampunk'd
  • The Adventures of Langdon St. Ives
  • The House of Storms (The Aether Universe, #2)
  • A Transatlantic Tunnel, Hurrah!
  • The Grand Ellipse
  • Unnatural History (Pax Britannia, #1)
  • The Steel Tsar (Oswald Bastable, #3)
  • Anti-ice
  • Escapement (Clockwork Earth #2)
  • A Calculus of Angels (Age of Unreason, #2)
  • Morlock Night
  • The Peshawar Lancers
  • Flaming Zeppelins: The Adventures of Ned the Seal
  • Thomas Riley
  • Romulus Buckle & the City of the Founders (Chronicles of the Pneumatic Zeppelin, #1)
  • Heart of Veridon (The Burn Cycle, #1)
  • Not Less Than Gods