Start by marking “Vampire: The Masquerade Revised” as Want to Read:
Vampire: The Masquerade Revised

Vampire: The Masquerade Revised (Vampire: the Masquerade)

4.02  ·  Rating Details ·  2,539 Ratings  ·  43 Reviews
They stalk in the shadows, moving gracefully and unseen among their prey. They are the blood-drinking fiends of whispered legends - Kindred, Cainites, the Damned. Above all, they are vampires. Their eternal struggle, waged since the nights of Jericho and Babylon, plays itself out among the skyscrapers and nightclubs of the modern world. But the vampires' grand Masquerade i ...more
Hardcover, Revised Edition, 312 pages
Published October 1st 1998 by White Wolf Games (first published June 1st 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Vampire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vampire

Caleb Wachter
Jul 16, 2013 Caleb Wachter rated it really liked it
The World of Darkness system is, for my money, the quintessential 'Role-Playing Game.' I still enjoy D&D far more, but when a group of adult, experienced role-players want to delve into the dark side of telling a story, there is no better system available.

However, this is not a dice-roller type of game. The rules, abilities and scope are ENTIRELY decided by the GM - there are incredibly few hard and fast sets of rules. It is the main complaint I have received from my players over the years,
Donnie Corrêa
May 06, 2011 Donnie Corrêa rated it it was amazing
I can quote it by heart. :)

I can't say much about VtM: It's my favorite RPG book, for starters, and I have used it and read it whole and in pieces for almost eight years now. Vampire has developed a personality of it's own in my eyes and it has helped me shape many of my aesthetical preferences, for example. I wouldn't recommend it lightly, though. Vampire is a game for adults and requires maturity and time to digest and work until you learn to see it in the Punk-Gothic setting it was meant to b
Rachel
Apr 11, 2010 Rachel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i read this in high school, hoping i'd find someone to play this game with me, but never did. someone play with me!
David Sarkies
Mar 08, 2012 David Sarkies rated it really liked it
Shelves: game
A political roleplaying game of Gothic horror
5 September 2013

This was one really, really, good setting. However it is a shame that it brought a lot of Goths out of the woodwork which ended up polluting the roleplaying community. Sometimes I wonder if Mark Rein-Hagen was a Goth himself, because this setting is very dark and gloomy that has strong political overtones. Hagen had pretty much set the roleplaying world in a new direction with this creation, and in turn, had opened the roleplaying com
Karly *The Vampire Ninja, Luminescent Monster & Wendigo Nerd Goddess of Canada (according to The Hulk)*

Not really sure how do to a review of an RPG book. This was my first one.

Truthfully, I am loving this book. I use it during almost every game. Very thorough and helpful for a first time roleplayer.

The world of Vampire: the Masquerade is fascinating, well developed and thought out.

If you get the chance to roleplay in this world and enjoy things that go bump in the night.... DO IT!!!
Kay
Mar 26, 2009 Kay rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, vampire, rpg
Used to have an awesome time with this RPG while i lived in Scotland. The LARP once a month was an excellent way to unwind and play-act and is something that wouldn't have been have as fun if it wasn't for the well devised universe within which the Masquerade is set.
I liked the dot system and creating characters and deciding what kind of vampire to pretend to be. Was actually very helpful for my writing in developing characters with more depth.
Nerine Dorman
Dec 12, 2015 Nerine Dorman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Okay, I read this cover to cover when I was a young adult. Feels strange to return to it now. The illustrations are... Quaint. But it's also clear how much this game influenced my writing.
Brad
Jan 26, 2014 Brad rated it it was amazing
I've always been a huge fan of the WoD role playing games, and even more so when you consider that they're all modular and you can mix and match elements from each system and make a storytelling experience something really grand. Vampire pretty much started my love of the series of games, and I've had the pleasure to start a group once again. The constraints and the wonderful power struggles, not to mention the possibility that a character can become very beast, makes the system very awesome.
Nokaaz
Nov 06, 2012 Nokaaz rated it it was amazing
Shelves: devotee
Don't worry, you can deeply feel this book without any attempt to play this game. One reason "Vampire: The Masquerade" is so great, intriguing and interesting it's for the literature their books have.
Other reasons are the Vampire Politics and "The Masquerade", which is a set of laws created by themselves to protect their kind and survive in the "World Of Darkness", a world not so different than ours. Once you're in there, the next step is learning about the Vampire Clans (another big reason, the
Jevron McCrory
Jul 03, 2010 Jevron McCrory rated it it was amazing
Such a beautiful tome that even if you are not into the RP aspect (which I am not and ironically, who it was wrote for), the drawings are so amazing, the presentation so slick and the explanations of modern vamps so gritty and realistic that it DEMANDS purchase! And I am only half way through, just no more 'roll the dice!' Just kidding!
Michelle (In Libris Veritas)
Apr 14, 2008 Michelle (In Libris Veritas) rated it liked it
Shelves: rpgs
This is a fairly interesting game,I haven't personally played nor will I ever, but the book itself makes things sound very interesting. There are story lines that are worth reading, and the illustrations are pretty cool.
Aline
Oct 04, 2009 Aline rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Do you wanna learn a cool stuff about vampires and role playing game? Here. Read it.
Edwin
Jun 29, 2012 Edwin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Creo que este libro marco mi adolescencia, aunque es un juego de rol, esta reinteresante.

Basicamente te enseña a jugar, y trae una pequeña historia de cada clan o raza vampirica.
Aline
Oct 04, 2009 Aline rated it it was amazing
I'm a true ventrue.
Brian
Vampire: the Masquerade is one of the early RPGs that defined my later preferences. It was the second RPG that I really started buying a lot of after D&D, the first being the D6 Star Wars RPG, and the one that I bought most into. It's probably not the reason why I spent years dressing all in black and have seen Rasputina, Paralysed Age, Thou Shalt Not, VNV Nation, KMFDM, and Seraphim Shock in concert, but it's certainly a contributing factor.

As with all of classic World of Darkness's game li
Maria
May 05, 2017 Maria rated it it was amazing
Modern Vampire checklist: Snark, wit, condescension, sensual vs. deadly intent, movie franchise, fun! Yep, all that and a tastily freeform RPG universe where one can be an honorable, loyal werewolven hero or a slinky, swanky vamp vill^H^Hantagonist!
Jake
Oct 28, 2008 Jake rated it it was ok
Recommended to Jake by: Todd Marabella
This book was lent to me by a friend, after some conversations over the differences between the Old World of Darkness and the New World of Darkness. He professed to like this version of Vampire better than the new one, and while I haven't read the new one, he lent this to me should I want a point of a comparison.

Saying that I "read" this is not entirely true. I read a few chapters, mostly the setting related ones, and skipped the rules, as it's a game I have no real intention of playing or runni
Mark Stone
Aug 27, 2007 Mark Stone rated it it was ok
Even though I dont play it any more, and have little or no interest in it's younger couisin, Vampire: the Requiem, Vampire: the Masquerade will always have a special place in my heart. It was the first of it's kind in my life, a game that encouraged me to think about a character's story, his ascent or descent.

I've had a lot of fun with this game, for all its flaws. If you are into games of existential horror and telling the story of a slow descent into madness and inhumanity, this is the game fo
Erik Meyer
Aug 21, 2013 Erik Meyer rated it really liked it
This book opened my eyes to the effectiveness of rule systems; in retrospect, RPGs were just beginning to figure out satisfying rolling in the '90s. Second Edition Ad&D still had THACO, and I've always disliked the 20-sided dice, so linking attributes and skills to the direct ability to role was a cool innovation. That said, the rolling mechanics of the early Star Wars RPGs were probably a bit better.
What set the world of darkness books apart was storytelling and setting. When I look at page
B.  Barron
May 06, 2010 B. Barron rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rpg
Simply one of the greatest RPG’s ever written. Stylistically fabulous with an unbeatable storyline; the Clans and their intra-Kindred maneuverings perfection. Only the mechanics (the nuts and bolts of the game) could have used some work (most of which were vastly improved in Vampire: The Requiem; unfortunate at the cost of much of the style and feel).

It only gets a four instead of a five because I needed to leave room for Mage: the Assertion to score higher as I thought it was the absolute best
Chris
Apr 02, 2007 Chris rated it liked it
In highschoo, I wasn't enough of a goth to really get into this game, and as a player I was more into fantasy quests than long, drawn out, angsty narratives. I thought the game was well-written, and the system nicely balanced, but never got into playing it. By the time I was in college and mature enough to appreciate the game-play, I couldn't take the melodrama seriously and was drifting out of gaming in general. Still, its a classic.
Dan  Ray
Dec 27, 2012 Dan Ray rated it it was amazing
I'm still using this book, and the ideas within started off thousands of hours of gaming, day-dreaming and plot-sketching. Such a great setting for an RPG, though the rule-structure wasn't that strong. The opening statement - "Your GM is always right" needs to be force-fed to players until they catch on.
Guatón
Nov 20, 2014 Guatón rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I read it when I was 14 and I did it locked in my room, because I feared my parents would freak out if they knew I had a copy. The game itself is a classic among RPGs and I haven't been able to play it as much as I would like, but reading the manual gives you great insight about vampire mythology and folklore.
Guillermo
Dec 23, 2013 Guillermo rated it really liked it
Really well written, The details are not boring and to me with this book is enough to make good adventures. As any RPG book, it is a rule core book but the way that the author describe the features was really enjoyable.
Edu Dethklok
Mar 27, 2016 Edu Dethklok rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Posiblemente el mejor juego de Rol de mi adolescencia, partidas interminables y divertidas. En una época llena de consolas y bibliotecas de Steam, quizá convendría volver la vista atrás para ver y disfrutar de lo que un buen juego de Rol en papel podía darte. Compra recomendada y obligatoria.
Wealhtheow
Jul 30, 2007 Wealhtheow rated it it was ok
Shelves: urban-fantasy
I had a lot of fun LARPing using this, but let's be honest, it is a very, very silly book. The pictures are bad and the writing is worse. Nevertheless, it is an excellent gateway drug into the world of gaming.
Beau Johnston
I never had the opportunity to play the game, but I loved reading the background material.

The information is dark, brooding and very atmospheric. Just reading this book gave me a renewed sense of appreciation for other vampire novels.
Jacob Gaston
Jan 17, 2015 Jacob Gaston rated it it was amazing
A wonderful style of role playing game. Intricate stories mixed with easy to learn mechanics this book introduces all to the world of darkness franchise and the society of the kindred aka the Masquerade.
Steven Fowler
Nov 21, 2012 Steven Fowler rated it really liked it
In terms of story and setting, this is probably the best RPG book ever written as the emphasis is on the role-playing aspect rather than the gaming aspect. This game is definitely for those more interested in fantasy role-playing rather than rule-mongering.
Sean
  • Vampire: The Dark Ages
  • Guide to the Sabbat
  • Guide to the Camarilla
  • Kindred of the East
  • Mage: The Ascension: Pride, Power, Paradox: A Storytelling Game of Reality on the Brink
  • Mage: The Ascension Revised Edition
  • The Book of Nod
  • Werewolf: The Apocalypse (Revised Edition)
  • Clanbook: Malkavian Revised
  • Clanbook: Tremere Revised
  • Clanbook: Assamite
  • The World of Darkness (Main Rulebook)
  • Vampire: The Requiem (nWOD)
  • Clanbook: Malkavian
  • Changeling: The Lost
  • Player's Handbook (Advanced Dungeons & Dragons 2nd Edition, Stock #2101)
  • Clanbook: Toreador Revised
  • Player's Handbook (Dungeons & Dragons Edition 3.5)

Vampire: the Masquerade (1 - 10 of 146 books)
  • Alien Hunger