Start by marking “Vampire: The Masquerade Revised” as Want to Read:
Vampire: The Masquerade Revised

Vampire: The Masquerade Revised (Vampire: the Masquerade)

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  1,880 ratings  ·  27 reviews
They stalk in the shadows, moving gracefully and unseen among their prey. They are the blood-drinking fiends of whispered legends - Kindred, Cainites, the Damned. Above all, they are vampires. Their eternal struggle, waged since the nights of Jericho and Babylon, plays itself out among the skyscrapers and nightclubs of the modern world. But the vampires' grand Masquerade i ...more
Hardcover, Revised Edition, 312 pages
Published October 1st 1998 by White Wolf Games (first published January 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Vampire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vampire

Call of Cthulhu by Sandy PetersenPathfinder Roleplaying Game Core Rulebook by Jason BulmahnVampire by Mark Rein-HagenDungeons and Dragons Basic Rules by Tom MoldvayWerewolf by Brian Campbell
Roleplaying Games Worth Playing
3rd out of 186 books — 123 voters
Interview with the Vampire by Anne RiceVampire Academy by Richelle MeadDracula by Bram StokerTwilight by Stephenie MeyerShadow Kiss by Richelle Mead
The Ultimate List of Vampire Books
167th out of 598 books — 303 voters

More lists with this book...

Caleb Wachter
The World of Darkness system is, for my money, the quintessential 'Role-Playing Game.' I still enjoy D&D far more, but when a group of adult, experienced role-players want to delve into the dark side of telling a story, there is no better system available.

However, this is not a dice-roller type of game. The rules, abilities and scope are ENTIRELY decided by the GM - there are incredibly few hard and fast sets of rules. It is the main complaint I have received from my players over the years,
Donnie Corrêa
I can quote it by heart. :)

I can't say much about VtM: It's my favorite RPG book, for starters, and I have used it and read it whole and in pieces for almost eight years now. Vampire has developed a personality of it's own in my eyes and it has helped me shape many of my aesthetical preferences, for example. I wouldn't recommend it lightly, though. Vampire is a game for adults and requires maturity and time to digest and work until you learn to see it in the Punk-Gothic setting it was meant to b
David Sarkies
A political roleplaying game of Gothic horror
5 September 2013

This was one really, really, good setting. However it is a shame that it brought a lot of Goths out of the woodwork which ended up polluting the roleplaying community. Sometimes I wonder if Mark Rein-Hagen was a Goth himself, because this setting is very dark and gloomy that has strong political overtones. Hagen had pretty much set the roleplaying world in a new direction with this creation, and in turn, had opened the roleplaying com
Karly *The Vampire Ninja & Luminescent Monster*

Not really sure how do to a review of an RPG book. This was my first one.

Truthfully, I am loving this book. I use it during almost every game. Very thorough and helpful for a first time roleplayer.

The world of Vampire: the Masquerade is fascinating, well developed and thought out.

If you get the chance to roleplay in this world and enjoy things that go bump in the night.... DO IT!!!
Used to have an awesome time with this RPG while i lived in Scotland. The LARP once a month was an excellent way to unwind and play-act and is something that wouldn't have been have as fun if it wasn't for the well devised universe within which the Masquerade is set.
I liked the dot system and creating characters and deciding what kind of vampire to pretend to be. Was actually very helpful for my writing in developing characters with more depth.
I've always been a huge fan of the WoD role playing games, and even more so when you consider that they're all modular and you can mix and match elements from each system and make a storytelling experience something really grand. Vampire pretty much started my love of the series of games, and I've had the pleasure to start a group once again. The constraints and the wonderful power struggles, not to mention the possibility that a character can become very beast, makes the system very awesome.
Don't worry, you can deeply feel this book without any attempt to play this game. One reason "Vampire: The Masquerade" is so great, intriguing and interesting it's for the literature their books have.
Other reasons are the Vampire Politics and "The Masquerade", which is a set of laws created by themselves to protect their kind and survive in the "World Of Darkness", a world not so different than ours. Once you're in there, the next step is learning about the Vampire Clans (another big reason, the
Jevron McCrory
Such a beautiful tome that even if you are not into the RP aspect (which I am not and ironically, who it was wrote for), the drawings are so amazing, the presentation so slick and the explanations of modern vamps so gritty and realistic that it DEMANDS purchase! And I am only half way through, just no more 'roll the dice!' Just kidding!
Michelle (In Libris Veritas)
This is a fairly interesting game,I haven't personally played nor will I ever, but the book itself makes things sound very interesting. There are story lines that are worth reading, and the illustrations are pretty cool.
I'm a true ventrue.
Vampire: the Masquerade is one of the early RPGs that defined my later preferences. It was the second RPG that I really started buying a lot of after D&D, the first being the D6 Star Wars RPG, and the one that I bought most into. It's probably not the reason why I spent years dressing all in black and have seen Rasputina, Paralysed Age, Thou Shalt Not, VNV Nation, KMFDM, and Seraphim Shock in concert, but it's certainly a contributing factor.

As with all of classic World of Darkness's game li
Nov 02, 2008 Jake rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to Jake by: Todd Marabella
This book was lent to me by a friend, after some conversations over the differences between the Old World of Darkness and the New World of Darkness. He professed to like this version of Vampire better than the new one, and while I haven't read the new one, he lent this to me should I want a point of a comparison.

Saying that I "read" this is not entirely true. I read a few chapters, mostly the setting related ones, and skipped the rules, as it's a game I have no real intention of playing or runni
Mark Stone
Even though I dont play it any more, and have little or no interest in it's younger couisin, Vampire: the Requiem, Vampire: the Masquerade will always have a special place in my heart. It was the first of it's kind in my life, a game that encouraged me to think about a character's story, his ascent or descent.

I've had a lot of fun with this game, for all its flaws. If you are into games of existential horror and telling the story of a slow descent into madness and inhumanity, this is the game fo
Erik Meyer
This book opened my eyes to the effectiveness of rule systems; in retrospect, RPGs were just beginning to figure out satisfying rolling in the '90s. Second Edition Ad&D still had THACO, and I've always disliked the 20-sided dice, so linking attributes and skills to the direct ability to role was a cool innovation. That said, the rolling mechanics of the early Star Wars RPGs were probably a bit better.
What set the world of darkness books apart was storytelling and setting. When I look at page
Jacob Gaston
A wonderful style of role playing game. Intricate stories mixed with easy to learn mechanics this book introduces all to the world of darkness franchise and the society of the kindred aka the Masquerade.
Francisco Becerra
The expanded classic RPG, includes enough material to play endless hours. However, it lacks a bit of the mysticims of earlier versions.
In highschoo, I wasn't enough of a goth to really get into this game, and as a player I was more into fantasy quests than long, drawn out, angsty narratives. I thought the game was well-written, and the system nicely balanced, but never got into playing it. By the time I was in college and mature enough to appreciate the game-play, I couldn't take the melodrama seriously and was drifting out of gaming in general. Still, its a classic.
I'm still using this book, and the ideas within started off thousands of hours of gaming, day-dreaming and plot-sketching. Such a great setting for an RPG, though the rule-structure wasn't that strong. The opening statement - "Your GM is always right" needs to be force-fed to players until they catch on.
Steven Fowler
In terms of story and setting, this is probably the best RPG book ever written as the emphasis is on the role-playing aspect rather than the gaming aspect. This game is definitely for those more interested in fantasy role-playing rather than rule-mongering.
Really well written, The details are not boring and to me with this book is enough to make good adventures. As any RPG book, it is a rule core book but the way that the author describe the features was really enjoyable.
I had a lot of fun LARPing using this, but let's be honest, it is a very, very silly book. The pictures are bad and the writing is worse. Nevertheless, it is an excellent gateway drug into the world of gaming.
Gori Suture
I never got around to playing this game more than once. I’m more of a D&D kind of gal, but I enjoyed reading it.
i did vtm for a couple years, both in person and online. mostly online. on IRC. good times.
Benjamin Barnes
Good book for beginners to the Masquerade the first book on this rpg game
Robert Mclean
in this order best to worst
this book taught me how to draw
  • Vampire: The Dark Ages
  • Guide to the Sabbat
  • Guide to the Camarilla
  • Kindred of the East
  • Mage: The Ascension: Pride, Power, Paradox: A Storytelling Game of Reality on the Brink
  • Mage: The Ascension Revised Edition
  • The Book of Nod
  • Clanbook: Malkavian Revised
  • Werewolf: The Apocalypse (Revised Edition)
  • The World of Darkness (Main Rulebook)
  • Clanbook: Tremere Revised
  • Clanbook: Malkavian
  • Vampire: The Requiem (nWOD)
  • Changeling: The Lost
  • Clanbook: Toreador Revised
  • Player's Handbook (Advanced Dungeons & Dragons 2nd Edition, Stock #2101)
  • Dungeon Master's Guide (Dungeons & Dragons 3rd Edition)
  • Shadowrun (Third Edition)

Vampire: the Masquerade (1 - 10 of 148 books)
  • Alien Hunger