Start by marking “Echoes of the Well of Souls (Watchers at the Well, #1)” as Want to Read:
Echoes of the Well of Souls (Watchers at the Well, #1)

Echoes of the Well of Souls (Watchers at the Well #1)

Nathan Brazil had been the guardian of the Well of Souls, where the Well World's master control lay. But now the universe faced a threat more grave than mere destruction: An unnamed and utterly alien entity had somehow been released from its ancient prison and was bent on the corruption of the Well World itself. If successful, it would cause chaos beyond mortal understandi ...more
Published December 29th 1993 by Del Rey Books (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Echoes of the Well of Souls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Echoes of the Well of Souls

Patrick
Aug 29, 2014 Patrick rated it liked it
I stumbled across this series in the 50-cent paperback section at The Last Bookstore in Los Angeles on a recent vacation. I had read the original Well World series in high school in the 1970s and remembered it somewhat fondly. It made me wonder what had happened to Jack L. Chalker. He was a longtime science fiction fan, computer nerd and history teacher who hit it big with the original series. In the introduction to this early 90s effort, he hints that he was offered enough money to revisit the ...more
Chuck Childers
Jun 05, 2012 Chuck Childers rated it really liked it
Jack Chalker and his Well World series were childhood favorites of mine, rollicking, science-fiction adventures in an interesting setting. Echoes sets up a new Well World storyline with new characters as well as characters from previous books. Well World has some tropes: You get to Well World, you go through a gate, you end up as one of its 1560 different species, and you race to the Well of Souls to save yourself, civilization or the universe. To be honest, Echoes doesn't seem be much different ...more
Kate
Jun 23, 2014 Kate rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sf
Chalker had such a great imagination and sense of composition. This is the first of the Well Watcher books that I’ve read, and there are a couple of descriptive passages that lag, but overall it’s an entertaining story and intriguing idea. He does a great job of linking the story back to previous Well Watcher books, while situating this as a new trilogy in the overall arc. I’m looking forward to reading other books in the set.
Jim Razinha
Apr 09, 2013 Jim Razinha rated it really liked it
Bumping up my earlier rating from three to four stars and mulling the fifth. The re-read was quite enjoyable and the story better than I remembered. I've always thought Chalker's Well World stories were great stuff and a little time off between reading Twilight and Echoes was the key to renewing interest.
Aaron Anderson
If this series had zero time spent on the Well World, it would have been pretty solid. I basically enjoyed the parts before the Well World, and the very end, inside the control area in the Well World. The rest was boring or bad. No need to have returned to the Well World, or brought back Nathan Brazil and Mazra Chang.

Series was between a 2 and 3 for me.
Jessica
Jun 18, 2008 Jessica rated it liked it
Shelves: scifi
This is not really a single book, but part 1 of a novel that spans three volumes. As such, it's hard to tell if I like it or not. However, I'm definitely going ahead with the other two parts and seeing how the whole thing finishes up.

One word review: encouraging.
Benjamin Plume
Jul 30, 2011 Benjamin Plume rated it it was amazing
I didn't like the "Watchers" series as much as the others, but it is still very, very good. some wonderful new characters and some old favorites.
Lance Kilgore
Lance Kilgore rated it it was amazing
Aug 09, 2013
Gene Bathurst
Gene Bathurst rated it did not like it
Dec 19, 2014
Linas
Linas rated it liked it
Dec 04, 2016
Jay
Jay rated it really liked it
Mar 05, 2013
Andreas
Andreas rated it it was amazing
May 13, 2012
James Hein
May 06, 2014 James Hein rated it really liked it
The first in the final Well World Trilogy.

This was a set the stage first book.
Ira
Ira rated it really liked it
Jul 01, 2014
Kevin
Kevin rated it liked it
Sep 06, 2016
Joe
Joe rated it liked it
Sep 10, 2016
Melinda Kohut
Melinda Kohut rated it really liked it
Jun 22, 2014
J.L. Langland
J.L. Langland rated it really liked it
Apr 27, 2014
Sean Montieth
Sean Montieth rated it liked it
Dec 31, 2012
John
John rated it really liked it
Feb 04, 2013
Sun32146 parnell
Sun32146 parnell rated it it was amazing
Sep 30, 2013
Jonathan
Jonathan rated it really liked it
Mar 31, 2013
Raymond Recchia
Raymond Recchia rated it liked it
Jul 20, 2015
Facedeer
Facedeer rated it it was ok
Oct 21, 2015
Eleanor
Eleanor rated it really liked it
Jun 30, 2011
K.W.
K.W. rated it liked it
Jul 18, 2015
Dan J
Dan J rated it really liked it
Aug 02, 2015
Mike Blaustein
Mike Blaustein rated it it was amazing
Jun 06, 2014
Alan Tsang
Alan Tsang rated it really liked it
Jul 13, 2012
Josh
Josh rated it did not like it
Aug 13, 2012
  • First Family (Amtrak Wars, #2)
  • Wheelworld (To the Stars, #2)
  • The Wrong End of Time
  • Silent Songs (Starbridge, #5)
  • Operation Luna (Operation Otherworld, #2)
  • The Trouble with Humans
  • Cyberbooks
  • The I Inside
  • Storeys from the Old Hotel
  • Counting Up, Counting Down
  • Killing Game (CSI: Crime Scene Investigation, #7)
  • Stealers' Sky (Thieves' World, #12)
  • The Other End of Time
  • Sos the Rope (Battle Circle, #1)
  • The Secret People
  • Double Solitaire (Wild Cards, #10)
  • The Practice Effect
Besides being a science fiction author, Jack Laurence Chalker was a Baltimore City Schools history teacher in Maryland for a time, a member of the Washington Science Fiction Association, and was involved in the founding of the Baltimore Science Fiction Society. Some of his books said that he was born in Norfolk, Virginia although he later claimed that was a mistake.

He attended all but one of the W
More about Jack L. Chalker...

Watchers at the Well (3 books)
  • Shadow of the Well of Souls (Watchers at the Well, #2)
  • Gods of the Well of Souls (Watchers at the Well, #3)