Start by marking “What to Do When You Dread Your Bed: A Kid's Guide to Overcoming Problems with Sleep” as Want to Read:

Guides children and their parents through the cognitive-behavioral techniques used to treat problems with sleep. This book tackles fears, busy brains, restless bodies, and overdependence on parents.
Published February 1st 2008 by Magination Press

Heather
Sep 21, 2013 Heather rated it really liked it
Shelves: boys
This book was helpful in finding ways to help Grady get to sleep at night. We read it together and practiced together. It's great because it not only addresses fears, but also quieting the mind and restless bodies.

Definitely recommend.
Katherine
Oct 28, 2011 Katherine rated it it was amazing
Evan LOVED this book, so I did as well! He had brought up the issue (not wanting tone scared at night) so he was very receptive. We laugh and get so silly reading it, the scariness goes away!
Kristy
Mar 11, 2015 Kristy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-books, n-s-core
This is an engaging workbook (at least for some, including my youngest son) that teaches lots of cognitive behavioral skills to help kids who have bedtime fears. The overarching theme is "magic tricks," although the book does specify that the skills being learned are skills and not magic after all. Most chapters start with a "real" magic trick to learn that relates to the topic of the chapter. Written for approximately ages 6-11, I found it worked pretty well for our 5-year-old. I would not reco ...more
Anna
Nov 12, 2016 Anna rated it it was amazing
Since I really liked What to Do When You Worry Too Much, I'm now reading the rest of the series. As a perpetually sleep-deprived adult, I hoped I might find some good stuff in this book. (It seems like children's books are my best self-help tool right now.) While you could say this book is all common-sense advice, it's laid out in a very clear way that encourages kids and parents to work together to solve a child's sleep problems. While a lot of the sleep problems don't apply to my adult life, I ...more
Audrey
Nov 15, 2013 Audrey rated it liked it
Shelves: parenting
While the tips and tricks in the books may be helpful, it's nothing that isn't really common knowledge (at least for myself). The way it was presented wasn't any more helpful to me than having the knowledge myself. Granted, my child is younger than the ages this book is geared towards, we had started off using all these bedtime routines prior to get refusal to go to sleep or sleep in her own bed anyway.
Alicia
Feb 23, 2013 Alicia rated it it was amazing
Excellent and easy read to kids. Not only for kids with fears, but for kids with busy minds and fidgety bodies at night. Has kid-friendly wording and tips for relaxing. Older kids will understand everything, but I can definitely use parts for the 3-6 range.
Ashley
Sep 20, 2016 Ashley rated it it was amazing
These books are easy to read with kids and offer SKILLS to practice. Used by my kids therapist! excellent!
Stephanie
Good ideas to work on with Sylas....I will reserve my rating until the boy is falling asleep on his own!
Libbydale
Apr 24, 2012 Libbydale rated it really liked it
I think I've found a book that mayhelp us with our kiddo's going to sleep issues-i hope!
Becky Thomas
Becky Thomas rated it it was amazing
Jul 27, 2016
Melissa Wilson
Melissa Wilson rated it it was amazing
Dec 04, 2014
Molly C Rudd
Molly C Rudd rated it it was amazing
Aug 19, 2016
Shayla
Shayla rated it really liked it
Jan 13, 2010
Nicolette Smith
Nicolette Smith rated it it was amazing
May 24, 2016
Mafalda
Mafalda rated it liked it
Jan 31, 2013
James Atkison
James Atkison rated it it was amazing
Apr 15, 2016
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it it was amazing
May 01, 2015
Barbara
Barbara rated it really liked it
Mar 19, 2014
Dana Duell
Dana Duell rated it it was amazing
Dec 27, 2015
Anna Kirk
Anna Kirk rated it liked it
Jun 03, 2016
Bridget Dujardin
Bridget Dujardin rated it it was amazing
Feb 15, 2015
Kristine McChesney
Kristine McChesney rated it really liked it
Dec 25, 2014
Reginald Alexander
Reginald Alexander rated it really liked it
Aug 26, 2015
Shannon Watts
Shannon Watts rated it it was ok
May 12, 2015
Beth
Beth rated it really liked it
May 26, 2014
theresa m parrino
theresa m parrino rated it it was amazing
Nov 29, 2014
Shayla
Shayla rated it really liked it
Jan 13, 2010
Tara Clinkscale
Tara Clinkscale rated it it was amazing
Feb 26, 2016
Mrs Karen Jenner
Mrs Karen Jenner rated it liked it
Dec 27, 2015
Tracy
Tracy rated it really liked it
Dec 28, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Dawn Huebner, PhD, wrote most of her first book (What to Do When You Worry Too Much) on walks to and from her office in downtown Exeter, NH. The rest of her series was similarly conceived, although she eventually set up a computer (and designated a writing day) in a spare room at home.

A clinical psychologist in private practice, Dr. Huebner recognized the need for lively, easy-to-read take-home ma
More about Dawn Huebner...