Start by marking “God and the New Physics” as Want to Read:
God and the New Physics

God and the New Physics

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  548 ratings  ·  41 reviews
How did the universe begin and how will it end?
What is matter?
What is mind, and can it survive death?
What are time and space, and how do they relate to ideas about God?
Is the order of the universe the result of accident or design?
The most profound and age-old questions of existence -- for centuries the focus of religion and philosophy -- may soon be answered through
Published October 16th 1984 by Simon & Schuster (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about God and the New Physics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about God and the New Physics

The Last Dragon Slayer by Martyn StanleyThe Last Dragon Slayer by Martyn StanleyThe Verkreath Horror by Martyn StanleyThe God Delusion by Richard DawkinsGod is Not Great by Christopher Hitchens
Best Atheist Books
14th out of 27 books — 19 voters
Locke by Harper SloanCaptivated by You by Sylvia DayDeep by Kylie ScottReaper's Stand by Joanna WyldeThoughtful by S.C. Stephens
When is the Next One!?!
236th out of 326 books — 1,084 voters

More lists with this book...

Manny
Celebrity Death Match Special: God and the New Physics versus The Rocky Horror Picture Show

Scene 1

[MIT, 2012. Graduation day. BRAD and JANET]

JANET: Oh Brad, wasn't it wonderful! Didn't Betty look radiantly beautiful! Just an hour ago she was plain old Betty Monroe. Now she's Betty Monroe... PhD!

BRAD: Er... yeah.

JANET: I wonder if I'll ever complete my doctoral dissertation on the relationship between faith and cosmology? Sometimes it seems impossible.

[She wipes a tear from her eye. Music starts
Hazel
Quite excited about this book. There's so much stuff in here that I've always wanted to know about, mainly regarding quantum physics and relativity. And Hawking somehow never did it for me. I now know for example that time doesn't really exist... or well it does actually, but there's no such thing as "the past" or "the future". Particularly enlightening also is the chapter that describes life as a holistic system that does not make sense when merely studied at particle level. And then there is t ...more
White
Davies makes a convincing attempt to bring God into the nature of physics in this book, rather than the religious approach of bringing the nature of physics into God. (Or is it the other way around?)

This is a great book that describes the details of our universe as something that wraps around us and in us and as us, rather than something we are observing. A hydrogen atom is the same in a droplet of water as it is and always was across lightyears of the universe and 10 billion years ago, 10 billi
Fernando del Alamo
"Dios y la nueva física" es el título de este libro en castellano. Se trata de intentar casar los conceptos de la nueva física (incluidas cuántica, relatividad, cosmología, leyes físicas,...) y la lógica con la existencia de Dios. El libro trata de muchas de las discusiones que se tienen entre estudiantes mientras se estudia la carrera de Ciencias Físicas. Para quien las ha tenido, son algo conocido, aunque siempre aporta agunas cosas nuevas. Para quien no las conoce, es todo un descubrimiento.
Mitzi
This book is a fascinating look at how Physics is influencing our view of the origins of our existence, and our universe. It doesn't give any definitive answers to the "big questions" though - science isn't quite there, yet...
Christian Blunden
Read this a long time ago during university. Great mind opening stuff on the edges of scientific understanding and religion.
Claire
Interesting, intellectually stimulating, full of physics explanations that actually make sense to a beginner.
Achi
read it when I was 14 years old. it changes my whole view on physics. amazing book.
Charles
It certainly gave me some food for thought.
Sujeet
After many days of deep thinking, finally it boils down to only one question, "Does God exist?" The answer to this question is clearly, still unknown. Whoever claims to know the answer, whether theist or atheist, ask him three or four fundamental questions, that would expose their bumbling limitations. Theists will back their irrefutable on 'It's all about faith' and atheists(scientific bent) would take refuge on "We are working on it".
Religion, Philosophy and Science - any or all of these route
Hasham Ahmad
Well this was no walk in the park. It approaches fundamental questions of philosophy, existence and creation in the framework of new physics in quite some technical detail. It is perfectly normal for developments in science to impact on beliefs, in fact some might say that it has shaped modern Western thinking for some time and understandably driven a wedge between science and conventional religion. So there have been few attempts to reconcile these two subjects into a holistic point of view whi ...more
Suzie Michaels
This book takes mysticism and gives it a scientific foundation that even the most skeptical can consider and still remain within the confines of pure scientific thought. Paul Davies addresses age old issues of the supernatural and religion and brings them together under one roof; physics. Provocative.
Kimwyl
This is one of several books that Davies has written about the impact of science on religious belief and specifically on the existence of God. As he tells us in his Preface, he addresses four questions. Why are the laws of nature what they are? Why does the universe consist of the things it does? How did those things arise? How did the universe achieve its organization?

Davies makes the pretty bold claim that science offers a surer path to God than does religion. However, the God that might be su
Jef
...religion is founded on revelation and received wisdom. Religious dogma that claims to contain unalterable Truth can hardly be modified to fit changing ideas. The true believer must stand by his faith whatever the evidence against it.
However astonishing and inexplicable a particular occurrence may be, we can never be absolutely sure that at some distant time in the future a natural phenomenon will not be discovered to explain it.
After demolishing the ontological and teleological arguments for
Fidaa Fares
" يبدو كما لو أن الطبيعة تريد أن تقول لنا شيئاً "

. الفصول الأخيرة هي الأجمل والأكثر جاذبية ، وعموماً فإن الترجمة غير الجيدة أفسدت الكتاب
Federico
Paul Davies is always a fascinating writer. This book though has been disappointing, because many difficult topics are presented very briefly and cannot be understood without a previous knowledge of them. For example, I had no problem understanding the paradoxes of time distortion, but I didn't really get many explanations about quantum physics. On the other side, most parts of the book treat philosophical/religious topics, which are even too straightforward.
I overall enjoyed reading this book.
Thomas Simard
Clearly written, raising questions, providing food for thought but no easy answers. What else does one want?
Eli Brooke
Ghost in the machine? Intelligence in the design of the universe, without the need for a god who is Creator or worse yet a Dictator.

Part of my intro to religious studies class in college, which had me thinking maybe I wanted to pursue comparative religious studies for a while there. Seriously influenced my own long-standing belief in a intelligent life force in the universe that syncs up pretty well with a sort of esoteric Taoist/Buddhist understanding of the nature of reality.
Remo
Gran libro de divulgación que hace un repaso extensivo de la relatividad general y la mecánica cuántica. Lo leí al empezar la carrera y me reafirmó en mi decisión de ser físico. Paul Davies escribe muy bien, y sabe explicar conceptos como pocos. En este libro en concreto se enreda también con la religión, apuntando a la existencia de un dios no necesariamente religioso pero sí creador, una especia de panteísmo. Las partes puramente científicas, sin embargo, son muy buenas.
Michael
Beautiful!!

See God as the incredible-shrinking man!!

As science grows and matures, religion and gods play smaller roles in people's lives.

God and the New Physics shows how the "God in the Gaps" argument can be utilised to prove God's possible existence.

The depiction of the recent finding in physics is breathtaking!
Krista
The physics parts were interesting. The God parts were less about God and more about disproving organized religion, which in my opinion, are two very different things. But, I learned a lot, it made me think, and I got some new ideas for the story I was researching, so it deserves a four just for that!
Helene Messina
Easy to understand
King Little
This book was written for arm chair physicists who would like to understand how some of the various topics in quantum physics and cosmology parallel similar topics covered in the Bible. You do not need a PHD in advanced applied mathematics to enjoy this book.
Tem
really interesting book covering some fascinating topics but it is a pretty challenging read so be prepared to need your brain well functioning for this book. i didn't actually finish it for this reason but I will at some point.
Steve
A very good book. Challenging in a couple of places (the chapter on Quantum Physics sent my head into a spin), but overall very interesting and informative. Really makes you think about the universe and its existence.
Nick Black
Jan 25, 2009 Nick Black marked it as to-read
Recommended to Nick by: Rebecca
Shelves: to-acquire
Hrmm, just finding out about this Paul Davies character (from a throwaway to-read added by Rebecca). If anyone can suggest a better book to start with, let me know before I pick this up in a few days!
Charlie
Excellent work that delves into quantum mechanics on a layman's terms.

And chapter 12 is still causing controversy even after 12 years+ of debate (you know who you are LOL)
serina
oh my god, this book rocked me to the core. an in depth, intellectual dive into the universe and its beginnings, time, space, and physics in relation to spirituality.
Anome
Somehow, I'm left with the opinion that Davies doesn't quite get it. Still, he seems to be popular with a certain segment of the community.
dead letter office
you only need read one of this and Mind of God, by the same author, and Mind of God is better.
  • Mysticism and the New Physics
  • Does God Play Dice?: The New Mathematics of Chaos
  • The Fourth Dimension: A Guided Tour of the Higher Universes
  • The Constants of Nature: The Numbers That Encode the Deepest Secrets of the Universe
  • Wholeness and the Implicate Order
  • The End of Time. The Next Revolution in Our Understanding of the Universe
  • Hiding in the Mirror: The Mysterious Allure of Extra Dimensions, from Plato to String Theory and Beyond
  • Taking the Quantum Leap: The New Physics for Nonscientists
  • The ABC of Relativity
  • The World Treasury of Physics, Astronomy & Mathematics from Albert Einstein to Stephen W. Hawking & from Annie Dillard to John Updike
  • Endless Universe: Beyond the Big Bang
  • Stephen Hawking's Universe: An Introduction to the Most Remarkable Scientist of Our Time
  • Faster Than the Speed of Light: The Story of a Scientific Speculation
  • The Nature of Space and Time
  • Does God Exist? An Answer for Today
  • Quantum Reality
  • The Arrow of Time
  • Universe: The Definitive Visual Guide
Paul Charles William Davies AM is a British-born physicist, writer and broadcaster, currently a professor at Arizona State University as well as the Director of BEYOND: Center for Fundamental Concepts in Science. He has held previous academic appointments at the University of Cambridge, University of London, University of Newcastle upon Tyne, University of Adelaide and Macquarie University. His re ...more
More about Paul Davies...
About Time: Einstein's Unfinished Revolution The Mind of God: The Scientific Basis for a Rational World How to Build a Time Machine The Eerie Silence: Renewing Our Search for Alien Intelligence The Goldilocks Enigma: Why Is the Universe Just Right for Life?