Start by marking “Shadow Account” as Want to Read:
Shadow Account

Shadow Account

3.55 of 5 stars 3.55  ·  rating details  ·  352 ratings  ·  31 reviews
His novels of big money and murder in the world of finance have earned "New York Times" bestselling author Stephen Frey a richly deserved reputation as a master of suspense who always delivers a high yield. Now he raises the stakes, and the risk factor, in a new thriller that pits a young Wall Street player against corporate conspiracy and White House intrigue--in a danger ...more
Published March 1st 2005 by Ballantine Books (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Shadow Account, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shadow Account

Ferne
There are moments when this book was just downright tedious reading for me but I was interested in the storyline so I kept on reading and it really wasn't worth it. Very disappointed in this selection.
In looking back on the list of books I've read, I have read two (2) other novels by Stephen W. Frey, "The Successor" and "The Vulture Fund". After reading "The Successor" I knew I would keep reading novels by this author. But after reading "The Vulture Fund", I had to add in my review that ..."I th
Johnnie Gee
Conner Ashby discovers what he thinks is happening in his personal life really isn’t at all.

My biggest complain about the book is it goes much too deep in explaining how corporations juggle or keep two sets of books. Those long explanations were not all that necessary to the story line – I wanted an exciting book not a lesson in finance.
Robert Bacal
I've liked every other Frey book, but afraid I had to give up on this one, about a third of the way through. I tried. Really. But going through page after page of pedantic, dull, one sided dialogue on accounting rules and so on just did me in.
I appreciate that one could learn from this, but as someone said, I don't want a lesson in finance, at least not this poorly communicated in huge chunks.
Not a winner.
Ron King
This book had moments of interest and intrigue for me, but too many moments spent delving into the corporate jungle and its deceptive practices. I wouldn't recommend this book to many people!
Michele
It is rare that I can't actually finish a book... but it happened. This one was horrible. Crappy formulaic dialogue. Unrealistic subject matter... and did I mention it was boring? YAWN.
Mt. Lebanon Public Library
Elizabeth K.'s Pick
Call #: FREY
Marca
Conner Ashby, a young investment banker who is on his way to the top, finds himself in the middle of a huge financial fraud. He soon discovers this fraud reaches to the President of the U.S. The character of Jackie, an accountant friend of Conner’s, explains, using simplified examples understandable to the reader, how companies pull off reporting false profits in order for the chief officers to bag big profits. Enjoyed the book – exciting action, but made me more pessimistic about big businesses ...more
Rohit P. Enghakat
Strictly ok...fast paced thriller.
Halalilodri
Gute Einführung in die Politik und die Verwicklungen mit der Wirtschaft, bezogen auf die USA.
Samantha
I had never read financial thriller. I really enjoyed this book. It helped that I had an accountant friend explain what was real and fantasy. The fantasy was just to keep the story going and I understand why authors need this. The real taught me things that I didn't realize that people could or would do for money. To me it was a facinating and interesting book.
Deanna
After reading just over 150 pages I just couldn't take it anymore. Too much blah blah blah about stuff I don't care about. At first I was interested in the mystery of Liz so I was willing to stick it out. Sadly, the mind numbingly boring details got to me and now I couldn't care less about finding out what really happened.
Jessica
I'm a finance wonk, so I had to give this one a shot. Some of the commentary by the characters seems overly populist to me, but the core of the financial crime is interesting. I wish the female characters had more, well, character - Frey's taken the Madonna/Magdalene concept a bit literally here.
Heather
Shadow Account delved deeply into how large corporations juggle their books so they look like they are doing better than they really are. I would have liked to see more of the character's personalities and much less of the narration. It was a very slow read for me.
Ruth Ann
Conner Ashby receives an email not meant for his eyes - ok, how is this possible? This lets the reader in on something that Conner is slow to realize.

It does not tell us, however, the how and why, and here lies the fast-paced story.
Sammy
Classic Stephen Frey suspense thriller. Although I liked it and found it very entertaining, I personally feel like it wasn't his best work.
Mondae Roberson
This book was entertaining and educational. I learned alot about the world of Wall St. and insider trading. It was a little predictable.
Mathews Kuruvilla
a pacy read..... just that almost everyone in the book has a different motive than the obvious one.
Naomi
This book on tape helped me get my house cleaned. :-) What's not to like?
Lynne
corporate conspiracy / white house intrigue / page turner for me.
Ricardo
Entertaining and fast-paced but nothing that I would call exceptional
Carole Denise Dixon
Great story. A lot of Wall Street lingo to muddle through though.
Gay
A little corny and convoluted, but probably not all that far fetched.
Jeremy Woods
Really good, not quite 5-star worthy but an excellent read.
Alison
Not in the Christian Gillette series. Entertaining.
Julie
Shadow Account: A Novel by Stephen Frey (2005)
Ronald Howell
Good read but alot of characters to keep up with.
Kenneth Flusche
Typical Frey Book
Sonja
Very predictable
Rick
Mar 24, 2010 Rick added it
Very good
  • The Bormann Testament (Paul Chavasse #1)
  • The Plan
  • The Advocate's Devil
  • Phoenix Noir
  • The Savage Gorge (Tweed & Co. #24)
  • The Case of the Blonde Bonanza
  • Landfall
  • The First Billion
  • Extraordinary Powers
  • The Shadow Box
  • Eureka
  • The Scorpion's Gate
  • Watch Me
  • The Right Jack (Sigrid Harald, #4)
  • White
For the last 15 years I’ve been lucky enough to be a novelist. Until recently the books were set in the worlds of Wall Street and Washington. In addition to writing, I’ve also had a career in finance with specialties including merger & acquisition advisory and private equity at firms like J.P. Morgan in New York City and Winston Partners just outside D.C. in northern Virginia.

So, it seemed na
More about Stephen W. Frey...
The Chairman (Christian Gillette, #1) The Day Trader The Protégé (Christian Gillette, #2) Arctic Fire (Red Cell Series, Book 1) The Vulture Fund