Start by marking “A Writer's Tale” as Want to Read:
A Writer's Tale

A Writer's Tale

4.61  ·  Rating Details  ·  76 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Published December 1st 1998 by Deadline Pr

To ask other readers questions about A Writer's Tale, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Writer's Tale

Layton
I found this book as a PDF file online last summer and I read it quite often. This book provides an in depth look into how Laymon wrote and made me appreciate the man and his work even more. Definitely a 5 star read.
Joe Stamber
Oct 11, 2015 Joe Stamber rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle, read-2015
Richard Laymon wrote A Writer's Tale and Stephen King wrote On Writing, and like the authors and their books they are like chalk and cheese but both have their merits. And like Laymon's novels, his Writer's Tale is a mixed bag, with something for fans and aspiring writers.

After a brief introduction, Laymon gives a chronology with dates and events throughout his writing life, telling the reader that on this date he had a particular manuscript rejected, started whatever novel, or even that he went
John
Apr 03, 2014 John rated it liked it
This book is great for die-hard Laymon fans.
But for everyone else...not so much.
Speaking personally, I've only read one other Laymon book (COME OUT TONIGHT), and it was just OK.
Nothing special.
Laymon's books feel like they were written in a hurry. (Turns out that's exactly the case.)
His tendency to overuse one sentence paragraphs gets on my nerves after a while.
Especially, when it comes to non-fiction.
Dude, seriously.
You don't have to emphasize everything.
Also, not being a "gore-hound," I think
Gemma De-lucchi
Dec 31, 2014 Gemma De-lucchi rated it it was amazing
What an amazing book. I felt so sad reading it knowing Richard isn't with us anymore ... He sounded like such a genuine, humble guy. Never realised the struggles he had with US publishers. Some great insight not only into the books he wrote but into the writing world. Thank you Richard. I feel so privileged to read this.
Caleb Golden
Jul 24, 2015 Caleb Golden rated it it was amazing
A truly great read for anybody aspiring to be writer.This book is more for would-be writers than anybody as it has countless tips and insights on the surprisingly cut throat business.Laymon walks you through the ups and downs of his writing career as he recounts his rise to semi fame,his battles with crooked agents,biased publishers and career crippling censorship as well as the many friendships he made along the way and basically everything he knows about writing.The book itself is nearly impos ...more
Scott
Jan 19, 2016 Scott rated it it was amazing
I have mixed feelings on Richard Laymon. Some of his novels (mostly the early ones) are great sleazy fun, while some of the later ones are godawful. Regardless of how you feel about his work, A Writer's Tale is a worthwhile read. There is some fluff (lists of favorite writers, books, etc.) but there is also a detailed account of the life of a midlist writer and some practical advice for aspiring writers. For fans there is also a long section in which Mr. Laymon goes in-depth on each of his books ...more
Mark
Oct 26, 2009 Mark rated it really liked it
Part memoir, part writing tips, part overview of the genre, this is worthwhile read and very much recommended.
Varun
Mar 20, 2013 Varun rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Comparisons to Stephen king's On Writing seem apt,but we must consider that this book came much earlier in print than the King book.This is one of the best books Laymon has ever written.after reading 3 of his short stories in the ebook format,I was a tad disappointed that the man did not live up to his reputation as the father of the Splatterpunk genre.I decided to check out his non fiction book,hence to know about his views on writing.I thought Laymon to be a hack like the genre's other writers ...more
Phil Zimmerman
Jul 06, 2013 Phil Zimmerman rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebooks, nonfiction
I am so glad I had the opportunity to read this unique book. I sincerely hope it is reissued at some time in the future. This book is half biography and half criticism of the publishing industry.

The biography part is excellent. Laymon takes the opportunity to write briefly about everything he has published, from his novels and short stories, to his childrens books, romance novels, and the one western. Inevitably, after reading this book, you will have some obscure works to seek out.

The publishin
David Tabacco
Jul 18, 2014 David Tabacco rated it it was amazing
This is a masterpiece. It's the type of book you want to re-read every year because there are so many nuggets of wisdom that you'll want to revisit. In some ways, this book is the exact opposite of his novels - it's not throw-away escapism, but rather a form of valuable personal development.

I'm not an author, not do I aspire to be, but Laymon's advice can benefit any type of creative endeavor. In addition to his overall views on writing, publishing and war stories from his early career, you'll
Pussycat
Feb 28, 2014 Pussycat rated it it was amazing
I love it and I own a copy!
Pat Dreadful
Jun 14, 2011 Pat Dreadful rated it it was amazing
One part autobiography and one part field guide- this is the most inspirational book on writing that I have ever read. Laymon is honest and funny as he encourages the readers to get out there and pursue their dreams.
Lance
Lance marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2016
Ben  Shepard
Ben Shepard marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2016
Cheryl
Cheryl marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2016
Matt Burgess
Matt Burgess marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2016
Christa
Christa marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2016
James Walker
James Walker marked it as to-read
May 27, 2016
Kristen
Kristen marked it as to-read
May 26, 2016
Lucas M
Lucas M rated it it was amazing
May 14, 2016
Andrew Dawson
Andrew Dawson marked it as to-read
May 06, 2016
EMILY
EMILY marked it as to-read
May 05, 2016
Russell Hook
Russell Hook marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2016
Kindra Smith
Kindra Smith marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2016
Blake
Blake marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2016
Dana Smith
Dana Smith marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2016
Tam
Tam marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2016
Lynn
Lynn marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2016
Bruce Denny
Bruce Denny rated it really liked it
Feb 16, 2016
James
James marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2016
  • A View from the Lake
  • Triage
  • Thirty Miles South Of Dry County
  • The Flood (Blackwater, #1)
  • Istanbul: The Collected Traveler: An Inspired Companion Guide
  • The Underdwelling
  • The Peeling Trilogy
  • Writing Steampunk!
  • In Laymon's Terms
  • Kumquat
  • The Cure for Anything Is Salt Water: How I Threw My Life Overboard and Found Happiness at Sea
  • Ravenous
  • Teratologist
  • The Narrows
Richard Laymon was born in Chicago and grew up in California. He earned a BA in English Literature from Willamette University, Oregon and an MA from Loyola University, Los Angeles. He worked as a schoolteacher, a librarian, and a report writer for a law firm, and was the author of more than thirty acclaimed novels.

He also published more than sixty short stories in magazines such as Ellery Queen,
More about Richard Laymon...