Start by marking “A Writer's Tale” as Want to Read:
A Writer's Tale

A Writer's Tale

4.62 of 5 stars 4.62  ·  rating details  ·  61 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Published December 1st 1998 by Deadline Pr

To ask other readers questions about A Writer's Tale, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Writer's Tale

John
This book is great for die-hard Laymon fans.
But for everyone else...not so much.
Speaking personally, I've only read one other Laymon book (COME OUT TONIGHT), and it was just OK.
Nothing special.
Laymon's books feel like they were written in a hurry. (Turns out that's exactly the case.)
His tendency to overuse one sentence paragraphs gets on my nerves after a while.
Especially, when it comes to non-fiction.
Dude, seriously.
You don't have to emphasize everything.
Also, not being a "gore-hound," I think
Mark
Part memoir, part writing tips, part overview of the genre, this is worthwhile read and very much recommended.
Varun
Comparisons to Stephen king's On Writing seem apt,but we must consider that this book came much earlier in print than the King book.This is one of the best books Laymon has ever written.after reading 3 of his short stories in the ebook format,I was a tad disappointed that the man did not live up to his reputation as the father of the Splatterpunk genre.I decided to check out his non fiction book,hence to know about his views on writing.I thought Laymon to be a hack like the genre's other writers ...more
Phil Zimmerman
I am so glad I had the opportunity to read this unique book. I sincerely hope it is reissued at some time in the future. This book is half biography and half criticism of the publishing industry.

The biography part is excellent. Laymon takes the opportunity to write briefly about everything he has published, from his novels and short stories, to his childrens books, romance novels, and the one western. Inevitably, after reading this book, you will have some obscure works to seek out.

The publishin
David Tabacco
This is a masterpiece. It's the type of book you want to re-read every year because there are so many nuggets of wisdom that you'll want to revisit. In some ways, this book is the exact opposite of his novels - it's not throw-away escapism, but rather a form of valuable personal development.

I'm not an author, not do I aspire to be, but Laymon's advice can benefit any type of creative endeavor. In addition to his overall views on writing, publishing and war stories from his early career, you'll
Pussycat
I love it and I own a copy!
Pat Dreadful
One part autobiography and one part field guide- this is the most inspirational book on writing that I have ever read. Laymon is honest and funny as he encourages the readers to get out there and pursue their dreams.
Rebecca Kennedy
Rebecca Kennedy marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2014
J.A. Callan
J.A. Callan marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2014
Alana
Alana marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2014
Meral
Meral marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2014
Lise Jasper
Lise Jasper marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2014
Gemma Todd
Gemma Todd marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2014
Gemma De-lucchi
Gemma De-lucchi marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2014
Sean Kryzaniak
Sean Kryzaniak marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2014
Layton
Layton marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Sarah Was-jackson
Sarah Was-jackson marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2014
Jess
Jess marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2014
Angela
Angela added it
Jun 05, 2014
Kimberley Ann
Kimberley Ann marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2014
Roger Be
Roger Be marked it as to-read
May 30, 2014
Adriano Campos
Adriano Campos marked it as to-read
May 13, 2014
Kyle M Scott
Kyle M Scott marked it as to-read
May 03, 2014
Amanda Dintleman
Amanda Dintleman marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2014
Natalie
Natalie marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Richard Laymon was born in Chicago and grew up in California. He earned a BA in English Literature from Willamette University, Oregon and an MA from Loyola University, Los Angeles. He worked as a schoolteacher, a librarian, and a report writer for a law firm, and was the author of more than thirty acclaimed novels.

He also published more than sixty short stories in magazines such as Ellery Queen,
More about Richard Laymon...
The Traveling Vampire Show The Cellar Island Endless Night In the Dark