Start by marking “Breakfast After Noon” as Want to Read:
Breakfast After Noon

Breakfast After Noon

Rob Grafton and Louise Bright are in love and engaged to be married. When they unexpectedly find themselves unemployed, marriage plans are derailed and they are forced to rethink the direction of their lives. While Louise turns to school, Rob maintains a staunch desire to regain his old job, but when the company is itself shut down and hope is lost, Rob's depression not on ...more
Published August 5th 2001 by Oni Press (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Breakfast After Noon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Breakfast After Noon

Amelia
Dec 28, 2015 Amelia rated it liked it
sometimes, I don't understand British slang.
Aaj
Oct 31, 2016 Aaj rated it it was ok
Drawings are pretty but story is too far-stretched.
What I liked is that the author has provided a thesaurus of expressions and their meanings which might be helpful while reading for people unfamiliar with British slang.
Erin W
I picked this one up at random as a graphic novel worth reading for a month-long genre challenge. I read it immediately after Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood, which did not do it any favors.

Breakfast After Noon is a slice-of-life type novel, like one of those British “kitchen sink” movies where it’s all static talk and subtle emotional shifts. Makes sense, because the author is British. (A man, incidentally, even though the “I” ending to his name threw me at first. That’s how girls spell it
Tiamatty
Oct 14, 2015 Tiamatty rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, indie-comics
This was a good comic. It's about an engaged couple who get laid off from the ceramics factory they both work at, and their struggles that result, both financially and romantically. The woman takes training to find a new job, the guy is determined to get another job in the same field, even though there are no jobs open. So he mostly stays at home watching TV and playing video games. He stops taking care of himself, and becomes depressed, which is what causes the problems with his relationship.

Th
D.M.
Oct 07, 2013 D.M. rated it really liked it
This is one of only two (I think) Andi Watson books I own, and this one is the apex of what I like about his stuff. The story in Breakfast After Noon is regrettably familiar and sadly all too believable; in spite of the clean lines and late-deco stylism of Watson's work, this is grimly realistic storytelling worthy of Mike Leigh.
Watson lays it on (I hope) a little too heavily from time to time (can anyone REALLY be as much a tool as Rob? and why?), and his main characters bear unfortunately Dick
Alex Sarll
Not the sort of story I normally go for - a couple fray after both are made redundant - but Andi Watson does this stuff so well. And he perfectly captures a particular strain of Midlands masculinity - the blokes who joined the town's default employer straight from school, and think they're terribly practical when in fact they've just lived life on rails. Which means they completely crumble when those rails disappear from under them, all the while making out there's no alternative. Not people of ...more
James Josiah
Nov 18, 2014 James Josiah rated it it was amazing
I picked up this series of excellent comics at my local bookstore (Southcart books in Walsall) a stone's throw away from the potteries.

This is a painfully realistic painting of modern Britain and a compelling read. It captures the loneliness and desperation of redundancy and job seeking.
It shows the self pity and the slow lingering death of pride and hope.

It's not a cheery read but life isn't always brilliant, there doesn't always have to be a happy ending.
Abby
Sep 25, 2010 Abby rated it it was ok
Shelves: comix
When Rob and Louisa, a young British couple engaged to be married, both lose their jobs, the strength of their bonds is sorely tested. I liked Andi Watson's angular drawings and the authentic voices of the characters; Watson portrayed Rob's and Louisa's very different responses to being unemployed with empathy and honesty. However, I was very turned off by the pat, simplistic conclusion to a story that often betrayed a much darker (and more realistic) worldview. So, only 2.5 stars.
Ffiamma
May 26, 2013 Ffiamma rated it really liked it
Shelves: uk, bd
la crisi industriale del regno unito, una fabbrica di porcellane che chiude e due ragazzi prossimi al matrimonio costretti a rivedere la loro vita in seguito alla disoccupazione. mi ha ricordato un po' i film di ken loach, disegni davvero carini, essenziali.
[una mezza stella in più per il valore affettivo che ha questo libro per me]
Jim
Dec 25, 2010 Jim rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
great read. andi watson's art and writing might be the best there is on the comics market.
this could almost be an english textbook, there are so many idioms from the mother country you need the glossary supplied in the back of the book.
Zen Cho
Oct 05, 2009 Zen Cho rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
At first I wasn't sure if the writer was British -- the dialogue felt sort of off to me -- and that threw me off, but I liked it once I got into it. I got quite invested in the characters. But I don't think they should've got back together. >:(
Maggie Gordon
While this book has an interesting subject (the personal costs of recessions), the story telling is choppy and the ending is pat and unsatisfying. The main character acts like a butt, but in the end, he gets a second chance despite not having shown any initiative. Very frustrating!
Toni T. Morro
Sep 27, 2011 Toni T. Morro rated it really liked it
La historia de Andi Watson es emotiva y dulce, a la vez que dura y realista. Reflejo innegable de la clase trabajadora inglesa (pero muy internacionable) azotada por los vientos de la crisis económica.
Marie
Dec 18, 2009 Marie rated it liked it
Shelves: comic-books
A good graphic novel. A strong look at how unemployment can affect people and how difficult it can be to find your footing after a fall. I especially like the very stark art of Andi Watson, all black and white and very sharp lines that just guide the eye easily into the story.
Claire
May 23, 2012 Claire rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
I enjoyed the British slang and out-of-job working class money desperation. I could relate to the guilt over going out for Thai with friends. I couldn't relate to wondering whether you're only good at one thing - pottery assembly. But I liked that mix of relatable and somewhat foreign.
Stephanie
Dec 23, 2010 Stephanie rated it it was ok
Adam Cummings
Jan 03, 2016 Adam Cummings rated it it was amazing
Beautiful, just beautiful. The artwork is simplistic, expressive and rich. I think this is the most thorough work done by Andi Watson, and really everything else he's put out since lacks the elegance of Breakfast Afternoon. He's an auteur in this one.
Ali Diaz-Tello
Jul 07, 2016 Ali Diaz-Tello rated it it was amazing
Fate brought this book to me at the time I needed it. Every so often the title drifts back into my head, a title so perfectly fitting and yet you don't really understand it unless you've experienced what it's like to be made redundant.
Biaksla
Feb 16, 2011 Biaksla rated it it was amazing
Shelves: novela-grafica
Interesante ver como la perdida de un trabajo repercute de maneras distintas en las distintas personas... y como a veces nos hundimos y hace falta perder más para salir del tunel.
Paul Young
Jul 14, 2014 Paul Young rated it liked it
Liked this one a lot. Plenty of time spent on character development and the art is distinctive and uncluttered. A handy glossary is included for those unfamiliar with English slang.
Mike
Oct 11, 2013 Mike rated it did not like it
Just moody and boring. This story could have been told in ten pages. No humor. No climax. No big reveal. Just some unemployment and relationship problems.
Lisa
Lisa rated it really liked it
Oct 08, 2011
Jon Chamberlain
Jon Chamberlain rated it really liked it
Sep 19, 2007
Eric Vincent
Eric Vincent rated it liked it
Aug 28, 2012
Dan Grendell
Dan Grendell rated it really liked it
May 16, 2014
Brian
Brian rated it really liked it
Feb 02, 2008
Sean
Sean rated it did not like it
Jan 05, 2016
Suzanne
Suzanne rated it liked it
May 25, 2014
Nashu
Nashu rated it liked it
Mar 29, 2013
Jaime Leah
Jaime Leah rated it it was amazing
Jun 17, 2008
  • The Three Paradoxes
  • Queen and Country, Vol. 5: Operation Stormfront
  • To Afghanistan and Back: A Graphic Travelogue
  • Daybreak
Andrew "Andi" Watson (born 1969) is a British cartoonist and illustrator best known for the graphic novels Breakfast After Noon, Slow News Day and his series Love Fights, published by Oni Press and Slave Labor Graphics.

Watson has also worked for more mainstream American comic publishers with some work at DC Comics, a twelve-issue limited series at Marvel Comics, with the majority at Dark Horse Com
More about Andi Watson...