Start by marking “12 Reasons Why I Love Her” as Want to Read:
12 Reasons Why I Love Her

12 Reasons Why I Love Her

A romance novel told in twelve individual vignettes, Twelve Reasons explores the relationship of young couple Gwen and Evan, and the ups and downs of their relationship. Crafted by Jamie S. Rich and Joelle Jones, this beautiful and lyrical work is a unique experience in graphic storytelling.
Published October 31st 2006 by Oni Press (first published October 25th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about 12 Reasons Why I Love Her, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 12 Reasons Why I Love Her

Matt
Sep 23, 2007 Matt rated it liked it
Recommends it for: anyone tired of the typical romantic comedy
When I bought this book directly from Jamie Rich at the 2007 San Diego Comic-Con, I started off our conversation by saying, "I just heard the WORST podcast review of this book, but I really want to buy it anyways."

Classy, I know.

It was one of those moments where the things coming out of my mouth didn't exactly match all the things I was thinking in my head. I'd been following Jamie's work for years and I'd been enjoying every bit of it. The negative review I mentioned to him was one of those rev
Jessca
Oct 17, 2010 Jessca rated it it was ok
This was a disappointment. The story, which was already pretty cliche, had no depth whatsoever. I would be lying if I claimed to have enjoyed anything about it other than the illustrations. Word to the wise: jumbling the vignettes so you have to piece the story together does not make an uninteresting story interesting.
Megan
Nov 08, 2010 Megan rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
Felt a bit like a hipster approved romantic-dramedy. "Quirky" conversations and unnecessary drama in effort to appear deep. The out of chronological order vignettes-style seemed an effort to distract from the barely there plot. This isn't all to say I disliked the book, I was just hoping it would be a bit more substantial. Lovely illustrations though.
Peacegal
Jan 03, 2017 Peacegal rated it liked it
As I've noted before, romance is decidedly NOT my genre but this graphic novel had enough interpersonal conflict (and musical references) to keep my attention, plus it was there and I had an hour's time to waste.

I've lately been messing around with a set of comic characters I created--gulp--20 years ago now, and whom I've continued to revisit over the ensuing years, occasionally revising their looks and putting them in new situations and adventures. So appreciated the wordiness of this one as a
Bastian
Jan 27, 2014 Bastian rated it did not like it
I didn't see the best reviews for this novel, but I bought it anyway. I had a tiny hint of hope that it would be sweet and tasteful.
I sadly do not have a good review. Possibly even a worse review than what I read. I do not like writing bad reviews, all due respect to the author.

I'll start by saying I found it difficult to connect with the characters. Even after I was halfway through, I actually began to really dislike the characters. It seemed as if there were all too many attempts to make the
Mike Cassella
Dec 12, 2007 Mike Cassella rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of relationship drama
One of the best parts about this graphic novel, apart from the terrific art by Joelle Jones and Rich's extremely realistic dialog, is the decision to use an out-of-sequence narrative style to tell the story. First date, big fight, getting to know each other, break-up fight, etc. are all told in an order that is non-linear, but thoroughly engrossing for someone who's ever been in a real relationship. The key is that after it's over, you're left with the pieces of a story and how you even fell in ...more
Emilia P
Jan 23, 2010 Emilia P rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comic-books
Ummmmmm. I picked this up on the off-chance that it would be okay.
It was way better than okay. It's a little high-faluting/existential dialogue-wise for the format, but that was ok with me. It was about people who are too smart and self-contained to not speak their minds, sometimes bicker and sometimes fight bitterly, but they're in love anyway. Told in 12 out-of-chronological order vignettes with some variance in writing and illustration styles which suited both the changing personal moods and
Clay
Aug 02, 2015 Clay rated it it was amazing
I read this years ago. I've recommended it but always like to revisit. Not disappointed. Love the artwork above the story. The format that they tell the story works. I recommend this one for people to see all comics aren't just superheroes.
Marie-Louise
Really disappointing. Kinda lame. Beautiful illustrations though which rescued it a lot.
Rionaghac
Jan 07, 2017 Rionaghac rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nope, graphic-novels
1 star for the art. -4 stars for the ridiculous, boring relationship, lack of plot, unlikeable characters, stilted dialogue and offensive language. The main male character actually told the female character "I hope you die."
SmartBitches
May 02, 2016 SmartBitches rated it liked it
Full review at Smart Bitches, Trashy Books

12 Reasons Why I Love Her is a graphic novel that describes the romance between Gwen and Evan. Sadly, I loathed both Gwen and Evan so very, very much.

This is described as “a romance graphic novel told in twelve individual vignettes” but it does not have a happy ending although that may depend on how you interpret the ending. I realize that there’s currently a debate over whether a romance novel has to have a happy ending. I am firmly in the camp that rat
Caleb
Nov 16, 2014 Caleb rated it liked it
This is a short graphic chronicle of twelve moments in the life of a relationship that lures the reader in by presenting them in a non-linear fashion.

The non-linear narrative is fundamental to this work. Without it, the plot would play out like a cliched contemporary rom-com. One that focuses purely on the conflicts and resolutions of a new and unfolding romance. Without it we would be presented with an unpalatable and uninspired story.

This brings me to a point of contention; is the non-linear
Amory Blaine
I decided to read this book after flipping through the pages and noticing that the main characters look almost exactly like Harry Potter and Ginny Weasley. Unfortunately, Evan and Gwen are a far less likable couple than Rowling's. Evan is a pretentious ass, and I can't imagine why anyone would want to date someone so angry, insecure, and unpleasant. He had zero backstory or personality, aside from being a huge dick all the time. Gwen seemed interesting at first, and the book is clearly framed to ...more
Carson
Jun 06, 2015 Carson rated it it was amazing
Whenever Jamie Rich and Joelle Jones team up, you know that you're in for a good read. Rich is one of my favorite writers. This is not my favorite writer in the comics/graphic novel world. This is not splitting genres, one of my favorites ever. Joelle Jones is also an artist who I love in that broader sense.
Each vignette shows part of a relationship that ,very predictably, has its roller coaster of emotions. In several, we explore anger and frustration and to the point where the characters are
Mjhancock
Apr 26, 2014 Mjhancock rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
The book features twelve moments in Gwen and Evan's relationship, told out of order chronologically, but in terms of significance, it's probably the ideal order. It reminded me a little of 500 Days of Summer; they're both a somewhat deliberately disjointed account of a relationship. 12 Reasons doesn't wind up in the same sort of emotional wallowing as 500, but it also doesn't have Joseph Gordon-Levitt, so I guess that's kind of a wash. It has a lot of interesting ideas: there's a two page spread ...more
Stanley
Apr 03, 2016 Stanley rated it it was ok
I was very disappointed with this book. It was one of the few books outside of the main publishers that I decided to take a chance on and was sad that it didn't payoff.

Here, we get the story of a man and a woman, early in their relationship, trying to discover what they are and where their relationship will go.

The story is told in 12 independent vignettes, which were do disjointed that it felt like twelve different people were given some bare bones and told to flesh them out and they then includ
Greg
Jul 14, 2007 Greg rated it it was amazing
There's no such thing as a perfect relationship. Popular culture likes to insist that there is, be it in books, comics, movies, or some other form of media. The reality, of course, is that relationships do have conflicts sooner or later; the real question isn't so much how long until one hits that conflict, but rather how the people involved then deal with its resolution. I think that's what hit me so much about Jamie S. Rich and Joëlle Jones's 12 Reasons Why I Love Her; it's a book that is as m ...more
Alyssa
Jul 27, 2012 Alyssa rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this graphic novel quite a bit. It told the story of a relationship in 12 vignettes out of chronological order. As a side note, each of the 12 chapters begins with a song title. I became obsessed with creating a soundtrack to match the novel and, even though it was really hard to do (some of the songs were pretty obscure), it was a lot of fun to do. (By the way, if you ever read this book, feel free to contact me for the soundtrack.)

It was a great read and an intriguing story. I
quinnster
Jan 30, 2014 quinnster rated it liked it
This was a sweet book. The stories are each a different moment in Gwen & Evan's relationship. It's funny to me how many of them are their arguments, but when I thought about it more they were all pivotal moments in their relationship. I also liked the things you would sometimes catch in the background. Like the waiter who may or not be drunk and may or may not be getting fired.

Simple and sweet. Part of me wishes I got more of just this glimpse into their relationship, but the other part kind
Bill
Nov 29, 2012 Bill rated it liked it
"12 Reasons Why I Love Her? More like 12 reasons why I'm still single!"

Okay, it wasn't that bad. I think part of it is my own personal hangups - I get even grumpier and more cynical when I read these "love, love fails, love is rediscovered" type books. I tend to get really pragmatic about relationships and their failures, and relationship sentimentality actually kind of frustrates me at times.

Maybe I should have been warned by the title.

Either way, it was an enjoyable read all in all, and the a
Lucy
Jan 03, 2012 Lucy rated it really liked it
I was struck by the lack of chronology, and the memior-like nature of this graphic novel. It seemed like a nice, simple story, and I liked the twist of telling it as a graphic novel instead of a traditional novel or anthology. I’m a big fan of taking “traditional” genres and presenting them as graphic novels.

It’s a very simple, true story, and really does feel like watching the sweet moments of someone’s relationship. It’s not sappy, which makes the cute moments all the cuter. The art is also go
David Schwarm
Jul 06, 2013 David Schwarm rated it really liked it
There are many things to love about this book--the story is simple & timeless, the structure is awesome, the song selections for each chapter are brilliant & suprising, the art is completely amazing [as a first work, it is very mature], the story is well told and memorable. A very fun book in Comics oldest genre--something I do not have a lot of experience with--but as Romance it is very enjoyable. Recommended.
Tiamatty
Aug 06, 2014 Tiamatty rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, indie-comics
This was a great book. A look at a relationship in different stages. The characters were well-written and interesting. The art was excellent. Joelle Jones drew in a variety of styles, which made the book visually interesting from one chapter to the next.

I'd definitely recommend this book. It's a great book about romantic drama.
Jules
Nov 21, 2008 Jules rated it liked it
A little wisp of a book that reminded me in its construction of the film (500) Days of Summer, except somewhat less substantial. This one had fewer puzzle pieces to make up the picture of the "her" of the title, which may explain why you're left with a spare, less satisfying result. Still intriguing, still well done, but not quite enough for me.
Scott Muska
Apr 18, 2016 Scott Muska rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best graphic novels I've read that touches on romance ("Blankets" included). I can't recommend it highly enough.

Having said that, however, here's a trigger warning: If you're experiencing any kind of romantic heartache, maybe wait to read this until you're feeling better.

Otherwise you run the risk of shedding tears on the F train on your way into work.
Michelle
May 24, 2013 Michelle rated it liked it
12 scenes from a romance. It's shown out of chronological order to make it more interesting, but it doesn't quite work. Maybe it's hard to read after watching 500 Days of Summer. The relationship is troubled by her trust issues and his being a jerk.

Joelle Jones work is lovely, but a bit repetitive in faces and postures.
Abbey
Nov 20, 2011 Abbey rated it liked it
Shelves: comix
beautiful illustrations (craig thompson-esque) but a pretty tired story: hopeful indie boy meets dark indie girl who doesn't believe in love. romance happens. romance ends. nietzsche AND the trashcan sinatra's are quoted.
Keri (JD)
Mar 26, 2012 Keri (JD) rated it really liked it
This book had a ring of truth to it. Real relationships are not clean and fun, they are painful mixed with happy. Obsession mixed with passiveness. Struggle and Success. Failure and tears. It captured the feelings of a real relationship, and for that I enjoyed it greatly.
Becca Bacon
May 20, 2015 Becca Bacon rated it it was ok
Not a whole lot of depth in the story line. I enjoyed the artwork and the experimentation in some of the screenshots of Evan and Gwen's relationship, but the dialogue seemed forced and the correlating songs to each part really didn't add anything to the story.
Deborah
Mar 10, 2012 Deborah rated it really liked it
A nonsequential modern romance with highs and lows and...no spoilers! I loved the art and the story felt unforced, not everything was perfect, even during the initial stages of attraction. I grew to care about the characters and hope everything turned out well for both of them...
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Fortune & Glory: A True Hollywood Comic Book Story
  • Capote in Kansas
  • Salt Water Taffy, vol. 1: The Legend of Old Salty
  • Wet Moon Volume 2: Unseen Feet
  • Crogan's March (The Crogan Adventures #2)
  • Gingerbread Girl
  • The Beast of Chicago: An Account of the Life and Crimes of Herman W. Mudgett, Known to the World As H.H. Holmes
  • Polly and the Pirates, Volume 1 (Polly & the Pirates, #1)
  • Wondermark, Vol. 1: Beards of Our Forefathers
  • Aya of Yop City (Aya #2)
  • One Soul
  • Hopeless Savages Volume 2: Ground Zero
  • Token
  • The Sixth Gun, Vol. 3: Bound
  • Strangers In Paradise, Pocket Book 4
  • The New York Four
Rich is an author of both prose (Cut My Hair, I Was Someone Dead, and The Everlasting) and comics (the two-volume series Love the Way You Love; the Spell Checkers series). His third full-length novel, Have You Seen the Horizon Lately?, was released by Oni Press in the summer of 2007. He regularly collaborates with artist Joelle Jones, including the Oni graphic novels 12 Reasons Why I Love Her and ...more
More about Jamie S. Rich...