Start by marking “Every Grain of Rice: A Taste of Our Chinese Childhood in America” as Want to Read:
Every Grain of Rice: A Taste of Our Chinese Childhood in America

Every Grain of Rice: A Taste of Our Chinese Childhood in America

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  20 ratings  ·  5 reviews
Book by Blonder, Ellen Leong, Low, Annabel
Published May 26th 1998 by Clarkson Potter

To ask other readers questions about Every Grain of Rice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Every Grain of Rice

Great recipes, lists very useful techniques, and good for people seeking some more gluten-free options for cooking (although the book does not mention the gluten-free aspect specifically).

This book is a treasure for anyone who wants to know not only the recipes but the techniques to Chinese cooking. There are also great stories here from each of the authors in which they describe their childhood memories related to recipies or techniques. I personally am going to have to go out and buy the book
If I were ever to attempt cooking Chinese food at home, I would start by trying some of the recipes in this book. The authors share anecdotes about coming to America and how their families adapted their cooking to the ingredients available here. The stories give a taste of Chinese-American live and the recipes in between are less complicated that what I've seen in other Asian cookbooks.
95% of the recipes of the book brings up childhood memories for me. I have never seen a cookbook that actually included recipe for stir-fried shrimp and ketchup before! I always thought it was yet another quirky family tradition of ours until I came upon the recipe. I had such a hard time finding a copy of this cookbook for my personal collection but thank goodness I did!
To be honest, I haven't actually cooked much from this book. But the family memories and lovely illustrations of this Chinese American family are fantastic.
Lots of wonderful stories, but I wish there photos instead of the drawings (though they are beautiful).
Andrew Brisman
Andrew Brisman marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2015
Msjlibest marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2015
Christopher Chandler
Christopher Chandler marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2015
Kirsten marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2014
Karthik marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2014
Eva marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2014
Mikhaela marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2014
Lee Burnham
Lee Burnham marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2013
Ven marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2013
Robynn marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2013
Pink marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2013
Sreevidhya marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2013
Dim Sum: The Art of Chinese Tea Lunch Noisy Breakfast Wee Wonders Of Nature Parade Pony The Unusual Show (Beginning Literacy)