Start by marking “Matthew Looney's Voyage to the Earth (Matthew and Maria Looney, #1)” as Want to Read:
Matthew Looney's Voyage to the Earth (Matthew and Maria Looney, #1)

Matthew Looney's Voyage to the Earth (Matthew and Maria Looney, #1)

Published 1961 by William R. Scott, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Matthew Looney's Voyage to the Earth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Matthew Looney's Voyage to the Earth

Ken
Sep 10, 2014 Ken rated it it was amazing
Such a fun series! I like all 7 of the Matthew and Maria Looney books, with Maria Looney on the Red Planet being my personal favorite. This debut entry in the series, though, is outstanding. Children's literature today seems to lack the depth and creativity of books like Matthew Looney's Voyage to the Earth.

There is a Facebook group for fans of the Looney series, by the way:

And I think there's now even an e-book for this particular title:
LauraW
Jan 29, 2013 LauraW rated it really liked it
Like many who have commented on this book, I read it many, many years ago - probably when it was brand new. It was one of my first "science fiction" books and I loved the whole series, which I read repeatedly. It was the right mix of adventure, humor, and something out of the ordinary.

The date is the date of the annotation. There is no way I can remember when I really read the book.
Nils Andersson
Mar 11, 2014 Nils Andersson rated it it was amazing
This was an unexpected gem! Written at the time of the excitement of the US moon programme, this book tells the story of a moon-boy that gets to travel to the supposedly uninhabited planet earth (and back, of course).It is a great story, with entertaining twists and clever world play. Fantastic bedtime reading. Highly recommended.
Stephen
Jun 10, 2013 Stephen rated it it was amazing
It was probably 3rd grade when I began this wonderful children's book series - my first Sci-Fi:)
Harold Ogle
Jan 29, 2013 Harold Ogle rated it liked it
Shelves: classics, children, space
I read this when I was a child, so I was delighted to find a copy at one of the several libraries I frequent (the Mountain View library, which has a particularly fine collection of out-of-print children's books). It's a book that I could read to both of my kids without qualms of being too intense for my youngest, unlike, say, The Hobbit or A Wizard of Earthsea. Having a book that both kids can enjoy makes reading aloud much simpler.

This book was published at the very start of the US space progra
Julia
Aug 20, 2012 Julia rated it really liked it
Sometimes I'm asked what was the first science fiction book that I ever read. Does this (read at around age 6) count?
Matthew Looney and his family live on the moon. They don't believe that Earth can support life. Matthew's uncle is captain of an exploratory mission to Earth and Matthew goes along as cabin boy,

When I read this as a child, I wasn't aware of genres. It was just a fun adventure.
Mark
Aug 14, 2012 Mark rated it it was amazing
We all have books that are our personal favorites when we are growing up. This series of books, with their wonderful, whimsical illustrations completely captured my imagination. They are the perfect book for a kid. Reading them brought me a lot of joy and influenced my drawing style tremendously. For me, they were the perfect books at the perfect time.
David
Jul 20, 2010 David rated it really liked it
Loved these books as a child.
Andrew Kopp
May 01, 2013 Andrew Kopp rated it really liked it
Political intrigue in a children's book? How about backstabbing and suspense? This is from when children's books had everything.
Meagunn
Meagunn rated it really liked it
Dec 05, 2012
Laura rated it it was amazing
Jun 11, 2014
Jorge Alvarez muñante
Jorge Alvarez muñante rated it it was amazing
Jun 07, 2013
Amber
Amber rated it really liked it
Mar 11, 2010
Sara
Sara rated it it was amazing
Oct 03, 2015
Heidi
Heidi rated it really liked it
Nov 07, 2014
Russ Watson
Russ Watson rated it really liked it
Aug 05, 2011
Wendy
Wendy rated it really liked it
May 03, 2008
Yoli P
Yoli P rated it it was amazing
May 23, 2015
Michelle Novick
Michelle Novick rated it it was amazing
May 22, 2016
Carbonel
Carbonel rated it it was amazing
Jan 13, 2016
J Lucid
J Lucid rated it it was amazing
May 08, 2011
Julie
Julie rated it it was amazing
Feb 29, 2016
Ruth
Ruth rated it really liked it
Oct 13, 2014
Kathy Coleman
Kathy Coleman rated it really liked it
Sep 21, 2016
Mary JL
Mary JL rated it liked it
Oct 24, 2012
Liqu1dblue
Liqu1dblue rated it liked it
Sep 10, 2015
Michelle Rodriguez
Michelle Rodriguez rated it really liked it
Jun 10, 2013
Kathleen Engelhardt
Kathleen Engelhardt rated it really liked it
Oct 19, 2015
John
John rated it really liked it
Sep 09, 2013
Dallas
Dallas rated it liked it
Sep 19, 2009
What's The Name o...: SOLVED. Series about boy who lives on moon [s] 6 71 Jun 21, 2014 04:08PM
Jerome M. Beatty Jr. (December 9, 1916 — July 31, 2002) was a 20th-century American author of children's literature. He was also an accomplished feature writer for magazines. Beatty served in the United States Army, achieving the rank of corporal, and is buried at the Massachusetts National Cemetery.
More about Jerome Beatty Jr....