Start by marking “Matthew Looney's Voyage to the Earth (Matthew and Maria Looney, #1)” as Want to Read:
Matthew Looney's Voyage to the Earth (Matthew and Maria Looney, #1)

Matthew Looney's Voyage to the Earth (Matthew and Maria Looney, #1)

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  45 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Published (first published January 1st 1976)

To ask other readers questions about Matthew Looney's Voyage to the Earth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Matthew Looney's Voyage to the Earth

Ken
Such a fun series! I like all 7 of the Matthew and Maria Looney books, with Maria Looney on the Red Planet being my personal favorite. This debut entry in the series, though, is outstanding. Children's literature today seems to lack the depth and creativity of books like Matthew Looney's Voyage to the Earth.

There is a Facebook group for fans of the Looney series, by the way:

And I think there's now even an e-book for this particular title:
Nils Andersson
This was an unexpected gem! Written at the time of the excitement of the US moon programme, this book tells the story of a moon-boy that gets to travel to the supposedly uninhabited planet earth (and back, of course).It is a great story, with entertaining twists and clever world play. Fantastic bedtime reading. Highly recommended.
Harold Ogle
I read this when I was a child, so I was delighted to find a copy at one of the several libraries I frequent (the Mountain View library, which has a particularly fine collection of out-of-print children's books). It's a book that I could read to both of my kids without qualms of being too intense for my youngest, unlike, say, The Hobbit or A Wizard of Earthsea. Having a book that both kids can enjoy makes reading aloud much simpler.

This book was published at the very start of the US space progra...more
Julia
Sometimes I'm asked what was the first science fiction book that I ever read. Does this (read at around age 6) count?
Matthew Looney and his family live on the moon. They don't believe that Earth can support life. Matthew's uncle is captain of an exploratory mission to Earth and Matthew goes along as cabin boy,

When I read this as a child, I wasn't aware of genres. It was just a fun adventure.
LauraW
Like many who have commented on this book, I read it many, many years ago - probably when it was brand new. It was one of my first "science fiction" books and I loved the whole series, which I read repeatedly. It was the right mix of adventure, humor, and something out of the ordinary.

The date is the date of the annotation. There is no way I can remember when I really read the book.
Mark
We all have books that are our personal favorites when we are growing up. This series of books, with their wonderful, whimsical illustrations completely captured my imagination. They are the perfect book for a kid. Reading them brought me a lot of joy and influenced my drawing style tremendously. For me, they were the perfect books at the perfect time.
Andrew Kopp
Political intrigue in a children's book? How about backstabbing and suspense? This is from when children's books had everything.
Stephen
It was probably 3rd grade when I began this wonderful children's book series - my first Sci-Fi:)
David
Loved these books as a child.
Lee
Lee added it
Sep 28, 2014
vetchling
vetchling marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2014
Chad
Chad marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
William III
William III marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
Felix
Felix marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
Cathy
Cathy marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
Mike
Mike marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2014
Aaron
Aaron added it
Nov 24, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
What's The Name o...: SOLVED. Series about boy who lives on moon [s] 6 70 Jun 21, 2014 04:08PM
Jerome M. Beatty Jr. (December 9, 1916 — July 31, 2002) was a 20th-century American author of children's literature. He was also an accomplished feature writer for magazines. Beatty served in the United States Army, achieving the rank of corporal, and is buried at the Massachusetts National Cemetery.
More about Jerome Beatty Jr....
Matthew Looney's Invasion of the Earth (Matthew and Maria Looney, #2) Matthew Looney and the Space Pirates (Matthew and Maria Looney, #4) Bob Fulton's Amazing Soda-Pop Stretcher: An International Spy Story Matthew Looney in the Outback (Matthew and Maria Looney, #3) Bob Fulton's Terrific Time Machine: An Adventure in Space and Time