Start by marking “Passager (The Young Merlin Trilogy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Passager (The Young Merlin Trilogy, #1)

Passager (The Young Merlin Trilogy #1)

A boy is abandoned in the woods of medieval England. A year passes--a year of terror and hunger, of sleeping in trees and foraging for food, of outrunning packs of wild dogs--until one day a falconer captures and tames the boy as he would any passager, a young bird caught in the wild and trained. The falconer adopts the boy and teaches him all of the things he’s forgotten, ...more
Published September 1st 1998 by Apple (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Passager, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Passager

Mj
Sep 20, 2016 Mj rated it it was amazing
I have never really been into the King Arthur legend. As far as mythologies go, that one never really stuck with me. And then a little Middle School Me found Jane Yolen's Young Merlin trilogy at the library. I remember busting through this book and needing to continue on with the series, so I made my librarian order me book two from a nearby library.

I haven't even seen these books in at least ten years, but I still love them. I should go back and read them again, just to see if they hold up.
Morgan
Feb 01, 2011 Morgan rated it it was amazing
Passager is a beautiful book, and really, it shouldn't be. After all, it is the story of an almost nameless boy surviving in the woods - hiding in trees from dogs, eating slippery fish (bones and all), and foraging for berries. Yet, the beauty is in the telling. Descriptive prose lead the reader into the world and mind of Merlin, though he is never refered to by name, as he is abandoned by his mother, frightened by a pack of wild dogs, and enchanted by the falconer that he crosses paths with.

Pas
Miss Kodok
Hasil hunting buku murah di Pesta Buku Jakarta 2009
cuma Rp. 5.000 dari harga Rp. 19.900,- Lumayan... !!

Seorang anak laki-laki berusia 8 tahun karena alasan tertentu ditinggalkan sendirian di hutan.
Ia kemudian menjalani kehidupan sebagai manusia hutan dan belajar dari alam untuk bertahan hidup.
Setahun kemudian seorang penjinak elang (Tn. Robin) menangkap dan menjinakkan anak itu. Dia mengajarkan kembali segala sesuatu yang telah dilupakan anak itu, dan pada suatu malam, menemukan nama anak itu y
Books Kids Like
Oct 06, 2013 Books Kids Like rated it really liked it
Eight-year-old Merlin finds himself abandoned in the woods. He survives for a year, living on raw fish and woodland plants. To protect himself from wild dogs, Merlin sleeps in the trees. He is both comforted and terrorized by his dreams. Then, one day, a man comes to the woods bearing a falcon. By this time, Merlin has lost the ability to speak, but, as he watches the man and the bird, the words come back. Merlin’s curiosity gets the better of him, and he follows the man home. The man captures a ...more
Luann
Jul 01, 2008 Luann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wondered how similar this trilogy would be to T.A. Barron's Merlin series. I thought there would be at least a few common threads, but really they are very different. They started with similar ideas - a series about Merlin as a boy - and arrived at very different end products. Both series are well worth reading if you are interested in stories of Merlin. Yolen has kept her Merlin series very simple and very poignant. Her Merlin is much more likeable, and I wished for a fourth book when I finis ...more
Shelby
Mar 03, 2009 Shelby rated it it was ok
This book was about 7 year old boy who forgets who he is. He lived in the woods for a year and looses his force.His parents left him in the woods because They'd get introuble for having him and they'd all get killed.His paretns lefted him in a tree in the woods so that no wild dogs would get to him because he is terrified of dogs. Also because they thought that the man of the woods would found him but that never happen.He was rescues by a falconer and the falconer gave him back his ability to sp ...more
A.K. Klemm
Oct 03, 2016 A.K. Klemm rated it it was amazing
I read this out loud to my kiddo in two sittings. We loved it. We're studying the middle ages and we're aspiring wood nymphs - so it was simultaneously soothing and educational for us. It says it's a 5th grade reading level, but it makes for an excellent read aloud for kinders as well. (Parental note: There is one use of the word "damn" that can be easily skipped over if you're reading to them. I didn't bother, I don't censor swear words in literature, but I understand why you would if you're re ...more
Ginger
Jan 03, 2008 Ginger rated it really liked it
The first in a trilogy about Merlin's early life. An interesting book, though somewhat dark for the intended age-group. I also found the premise a bit unbelievable: that he was left in the forest and became feral after only one year, with no memories at all of life before then. He is rescued by Master Robin when Merlin follows him out of the forest. There is extended symbolism about hawks and birding, as Master Robin is a falconer and the name "merlin" is a type of hawk.
KidsFiction Teton County Library
J Short Chapter Yolen

Passenger tells of an eight-year-old boy abandoned in the woods of medieval England. He is "captured" by the kindly master Robin, who sets out to tame him, and the installlment ends as the boy remembers that his name, like that of a small falcon, is Merlin. Although experienced hand Yolen knows how to structure and spin a good yarn, one can't help wonder why such a brief story is published separately as part of a series.
Camden
Ahhh it's lovely, it's so lovely, I read it in like an hour partly because it's short as heck but also because it is so lovely and poetic and a little breathtaking and if it weren't a trilogy I'd be simultaneously floored by the ending and pissed as hell. I'm glad it's not a standalone. I'm still a little floored.

Who knew a story about abandonment and feral children could be so lovely. Good job, Jane Yolen.
Jack Cheng
Read this with my son (7). Exciting narrative, short chapters and an enticing mystery surround this story of the eighth year of Merlin's life. Left in the woods to fend for himself, the young boy somehow survives until he is found by a kind falconer who knows something about taming wild animals. Will read the rest of this trilogy.
Lillian
Good book! Passager is a very short, yet well written story. Despite being a little over 70 pages long, it held my interest all the way through the chapters. I love hearing stories about Merlin, especially as a young boy! I think children will appreciate this story about him. It's a little scary in some places being mildly violent, but it's definitely an entertaining read!
Ayu
Jun 23, 2007 Ayu rated it liked it
Begitu banyak versi yang menceritakan kehidupan Merlin, seorang penyihir legendaris pada zaman raja Arthur. Jane Yollen mencoba membuat sebuah jalinan baru dengan menggabungkan potongan-potongan cerita-cerita kuno tersebut dengan memasukan unsur sejarah di dalamnya.

Passager adalah bagian pertama dari kisah trilogi merlin kecil.
Kevin
Jan 27, 2010 Kevin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this up on a whim my last trip to the library with the kids and read it last night. Interesting chapter type book that offers a different sort of take on Merlin. I like the different perspective; very physical and evocative instead of dialogue driven.

Will have to see how the whole trilogy plays out.
Amber
Jul 10, 2013 Amber rated it liked it
Reading these to brush up on YA Arthurian legend retellings - nothing will ever touch Once and Future King, of course, but Yolen's writing is always gorgeous and this was a beautiful, if slow-moving, picture of Merlin's possible formative years. My favorite thing about Yolen has always been her description, and that's no less true in this series.
Kathleen
Feb 27, 2010 Kathleen rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy-fiction
It's the first in a trilogy, and only some of the book intrigues for a sequel, but it was not a bad read. Yolen writes so well, it's hard to criticize. Besides, I had to read it, but I found it easy and quick. Perhaps I'd like it better if I read the whole trilogy, which apparently now comes packaged together.
Kristin Anderson
Jun 04, 2012 Kristin Anderson rated it liked it
it was interesting. young merlin hiding in the woods, can't talk, you know... all that jazz. it was too short, in my personal opinion. i saw it in the teen section at the library, and thought, "hey, why is it in the teen section when it's less than half an inch thick?" yeah. couple of dangs spread out through it, so i guess that's why. i hope the rest are better.
Brenna
Mar 12, 2011 Brenna rated it it was amazing
This book is about the early years of Merlin, but it is written as historical fiction rather than fantasy. It is basically the story of a feral child and how he is found and "tamed." I thought the book was lyrical and beautiful. It has a rich style that wraps around you.
Mom
Jun 21, 2008 Mom rated it liked it
This was a quick easy book to read. The first in a trilogy about Merlin, it tells how he was abandoned as a boy in the woods for a year, then found by a hunter and taken in to live with him. He needed to be retrained in the ways of the human world.
Jussay
Dec 15, 2008 Jussay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful version of the Merlin story that reads a lot like The Lost Years of Merlin. Great for 2-5 grade.
Katharine Ott
"Passager" - written by Jane Yolen and published in 1996 by HMH Books for Young Readers. A cool mixture of magic and survival and a great introduction to the Merlin story.
Destiny
An uneventful book but still extremely interesting! Like I said, there isn't a lot of "action" going on in this, but I was still fascinated.
Ian
Jan 22, 2009 Ian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's cool that someone made up a history of Merlin before he became the powerful wizard who helped King Arthur.
jen
Jul 10, 2009 jen rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-lit
I enjoyed it but I sm not sure how much a kid would. I would like to read the rest of the series because I am curious...
Aristyanto Heri Trimawan
Nov 09, 2014 Aristyanto Heri Trimawan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
Buku pertama dari trilogi Merlin Kecil (The Young Merlin Trilogy #1). Enak dibaca, walaupun ini buku dikhususkan untuk anak 8-12 tahun. Tapi, tak apalah buat koleksi.
Rosalie
Jun 01, 2012 Rosalie rated it it was amazing
I've been reading a lot of Merlin and Arthur books. This one was a quick read, but still good, so read all three.
Gwyn
Apr 02, 2009 Gwyn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Read this book when Mark was in Grade School. Wonderful story, make sure you read the whole series if you start. Fast reading.
Molly
Molly rated it really liked it
May 30, 2011
Rachel rated it really liked it
Jun 29, 2012
  • Parzival: The Quest of the Grail Knight
  • Winter of Magic's Return
  • Little Long-nose (Candlewick Treasures)
  • The Ballad of Sir Dinadan (The Squire's Tales, #5)
  • Wise Woman's Telling (Morgan Le Fay, #1)
  • The Serpent and the Grail (Arthor, #4)
  • Lancelot Du Lethe
  • Guinevere's Gamble (Chrysalis Queen Quartet, #2)
  • The Road to Camlann. The Death of King Arthur
  • Doomraga's Revenge (Merlin Saga, #7)
  • The Child of the Holy Grail (Guenevere, #3)
Jane Yolen is a novelist, poet, fantasist, journalist, songwriter, storyteller, folklorist, and children’s book author who has written more than three hundred books. Her accolades include the Caldecott Medal, two Nebula Awards, the World Fantasy Award, three Mythopoeic Awards, the Kerlan Award, two Christopher Awards, and six honorary doctorate degrees from colleges and universities in Massachuset ...more
More about Jane Yolen...

The Young Merlin Trilogy (3 books)
  • Hobby (The Young Merlin Trilogy, #2)
  • Merlin (The Young Merlin Trilogy, #3)