Start by marking “Passager (The Young Merlin Trilogy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Passager (The Young Merlin Trilogy, #1)

Passager (The Young Merlin Trilogy #1)

3.48 of 5 stars 3.48  ·  rating details  ·  384 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Dia menahan lapar malam itu.
Ini bukan yang pertama kalinya.
Anak itu sangat kurus. Tulang lututnya menonjol. Sikunya runcing seperti kepala anak panah, dan tubuhnya yang coklat terbakar matahari penuh bekas luka goresan. Rambuntnya yang lurus dan berwarna gelap tergerai di wajahnya, dan sering menutup matanya yang sehijau hutan dengan semburat keemasan, bagaikan sinar mata
Published September 1st 1998 by Apple (Scholastic) (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Passager, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Passager

The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer BradleyThe Once and Future King by T.H. WhiteMary Stewart's Merlin Trilogy by Mary StewartLe Morte d'Arthur by Thomas MalorySir Gawain and the Green Knight by Unknown
The Arthurian Legend Retold
93rd out of 352 books — 617 voters
How to Eat Fried Worms by Thomas RockwellThe Indian in the Cupboard by Lynne Reid BanksThe Mouse and the Motorcycle by Beverly ClearySideways Stories from Wayside School by Louis SacharThe Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien
Great Books For Third Grade Boys
33rd out of 226 books — 85 voters

More lists with this book...

Camden
Ahhh it's lovely, it's so lovely, I read it in like an hour partly because it's short as heck but also because it is so lovely and poetic and a little breathtaking and if it weren't a trilogy I'd be simultaneously floored by the ending and pissed as hell. I'm glad it's not a standalone. I'm still a little floored.

Who knew a story about abandonment and feral children could be so lovely. Good job, Jane Yolen.
Lily
Good book! Passager is a very short, yet well written story. Despite being a little over 70 pages long, it held my interest all the way through the chapters. I love hearing stories about Merlin, especially as a young boy! I think children will appreciate this story about him. It's a little scary in some places being mildly violent, but it's definitely an entertaining read!
Morgan
Passager is a beautiful book, and really, it shouldn't be. After all, it is the story of an almost nameless boy surviving in the woods - hiding in trees from dogs, eating slippery fish (bones and all), and foraging for berries. Yet, the beauty is in the telling. Descriptive prose lead the reader into the world and mind of Merlin, though he is never refered to by name, as he is abandoned by his mother, frightened by a pack of wild dogs, and enchanted by the falconer that he crosses paths with.

Pas
Miss Kodok
Hasil hunting buku murah di Pesta Buku Jakarta 2009
cuma Rp. 5.000 dari harga Rp. 19.900,- Lumayan... !!

Seorang anak laki-laki berusia 8 tahun karena alasan tertentu ditinggalkan sendirian di hutan.
Ia kemudian menjalani kehidupan sebagai manusia hutan dan belajar dari alam untuk bertahan hidup.
Setahun kemudian seorang penjinak elang (Tn. Robin) menangkap dan menjinakkan anak itu. Dia mengajarkan kembali segala sesuatu yang telah dilupakan anak itu, dan pada suatu malam, menemukan nama anak itu y
Aristyanto Trimawan
Buku pertama dari trilogi Merlin Kecil (The Young Merlin Trilogy #1). Enak dibaca, walaupun ini buku dikhususkan untuk anak 8-12 tahun. Tapi, tak apalah buat koleksi.
Mel
More like a short story but good little fantasy for young readers.
Luann
I wondered how similar this trilogy would be to T.A. Barron's Merlin series. I thought there would be at least a few common threads, but really they are very different. They started with similar ideas - a series about Merlin as a boy - and arrived at very different end products. Both series are well worth reading if you are interested in stories of Merlin. Yolen has kept her Merlin series very simple and very poignant. Her Merlin is much more likeable, and I wished for a fourth book when I finis ...more
Books Kids Like
Eight-year-old Merlin finds himself abandoned in the woods. He survives for a year, living on raw fish and woodland plants. To protect himself from wild dogs, Merlin sleeps in the trees. He is both comforted and terrorized by his dreams. Then, one day, a man comes to the woods bearing a falcon. By this time, Merlin has lost the ability to speak, but, as he watches the man and the bird, the words come back. Merlin’s curiosity gets the better of him, and he follows the man home. The man captures a ...more
Shelby
This book was about 7 year old boy who forgets who he is. He lived in the woods for a year and looses his force.His parents left him in the woods because They'd get introuble for having him and they'd all get killed.His paretns lefted him in a tree in the woods so that no wild dogs would get to him because he is terrified of dogs. Also because they thought that the man of the woods would found him but that never happen.He was rescues by a falconer and the falconer gave him back his ability to sp ...more
Ginger
The first in a trilogy about Merlin's early life. An interesting book, though somewhat dark for the intended age-group. I also found the premise a bit unbelievable: that he was left in the forest and became feral after only one year, with no memories at all of life before then. He is rescued by Master Robin when Merlin follows him out of the forest. There is extended symbolism about hawks and birding, as Master Robin is a falconer and the name "merlin" is a type of hawk.
KidsFiction Teton County Library
J Short Chapter Yolen

Passenger tells of an eight-year-old boy abandoned in the woods of medieval England. He is "captured" by the kindly master Robin, who sets out to tame him, and the installlment ends as the boy remembers that his name, like that of a small falcon, is Merlin. Although experienced hand Yolen knows how to structure and spin a good yarn, one can't help wonder why such a brief story is published separately as part of a series.
Kristin Anderson
it was interesting. young merlin hiding in the woods, can't talk, you know... all that jazz. it was too short, in my personal opinion. i saw it in the teen section at the library, and thought, "hey, why is it in the teen section when it's less than half an inch thick?" yeah. couple of dangs spread out through it, so i guess that's why. i hope the rest are better.
Amber
Reading these to brush up on YA Arthurian legend retellings - nothing will ever touch Once and Future King, of course, but Yolen's writing is always gorgeous and this was a beautiful, if slow-moving, picture of Merlin's possible formative years. My favorite thing about Yolen has always been her description, and that's no less true in this series.
Jack Cheng
Read this with my son (7). Exciting narrative, short chapters and an enticing mystery surround this story of the eighth year of Merlin's life. Left in the woods to fend for himself, the young boy somehow survives until he is found by a kind falconer who knows something about taming wild animals. Will read the rest of this trilogy.
Ayu
Begitu banyak versi yang menceritakan kehidupan Merlin, seorang penyihir legendaris pada zaman raja Arthur. Jane Yollen mencoba membuat sebuah jalinan baru dengan menggabungkan potongan-potongan cerita-cerita kuno tersebut dengan memasukan unsur sejarah di dalamnya.

Passager adalah bagian pertama dari kisah trilogi merlin kecil.
Obisbooks
A young boy is left in the woods. He survives by his wits. Then one day, after a period of time, a man comes into the woods to capture a bird. The young boy becomes fascinated and follows and then is captured by the man. But he is taken care of and slowly things come back to him and he remembers his name is Merlin.
Kathleen
It's the first in a trilogy, and only some of the book intrigues for a sequel, but it was not a bad read. Yolen writes so well, it's hard to criticize. Besides, I had to read it, but I found it easy and quick. Perhaps I'd like it better if I read the whole trilogy, which apparently now comes packaged together.
Kevin
I picked this up on a whim my last trip to the library with the kids and read it last night. Interesting chapter type book that offers a different sort of take on Merlin. I like the different perspective; very physical and evocative instead of dialogue driven.

Will have to see how the whole trilogy plays out.
Brenna
This book is about the early years of Merlin, but it is written as historical fiction rather than fantasy. It is basically the story of a feral child and how he is found and "tamed." I thought the book was lyrical and beautiful. It has a rich style that wraps around you.
Mom
This was a quick easy book to read. The first in a trilogy about Merlin, it tells how he was abandoned as a boy in the woods for a year, then found by a hunter and taken in to live with him. He needed to be retrained in the ways of the human world.
Gwyn
Read this book when Mark was in Grade School. Wonderful story, make sure you read the whole series if you start. Fast reading.
jen
I enjoyed it but I sm not sure how much a kid would. I would like to read the rest of the series because I am curious...
Rosalie
I've been reading a lot of Merlin and Arthur books. This one was a quick read, but still good, so read all three.
Ian
It's cool that someone made up a history of Merlin before he became the powerful wizard who helped King Arthur.
Jussay
A wonderful version of the Merlin story that reads a lot like The Lost Years of Merlin. Great for 2-5 grade.
Callie
In the first book of the trilogy Young Merlin must learn to survive alone in the woods.
Cboatfield11
I have been watching the new Merlin series so that is why I am reading this trilogy.
Tara
Good book for thought for 5th grade-age student about the early years of Merlin.
Ian
well , nothing special sih, hasil beli buku murah pesta buku jakarta hohohoohoho
Loralie
This is a neat idea to share the story of Merlin's youth!
  • The Adventures of Sir Lancelot the Great (Knights' Tales, #1)
  • Winter of Magic's Return
  • The Serpent and the Grail (Arthor, #4)
  • Mad Merlin
  • Guinevere's Gamble (Chrysalis Queen Quartet, #2)
  • The Knight of the Sacred Lake (Guenevere, #2)
  • Road to Camlann: The Death of King Arthur
  • Parzival: The Quest of the Grail Knight
  • Arthur Rex
  • The Story of Sir Launcelot and His Companions
Jane Yolen is a novelist, poet, fantasist, journalist, songwriter, storyteller, folklorist, and children’s book author who has written more than three hundred books. Her accolades include the Caldecott Medal, two Nebula Awards, the World Fantasy Award, three Mythopoeic Awards, the Kerlan Award, two Christopher Awards, and six honorary doctorate degrees from colleges and universities in Massachuset ...more
More about Jane Yolen...
The Devil's Arithmetic  Owl Moon How Do Dinosaurs Say Good Night? Briar Rose Dragon's Blood