Start by marking “Crooked Man (Tubby Dubonnet, #1)” as Want to Read:
Crooked Man (Tubby Dubonnet, #1)

Crooked Man (Tubby Dubonnet #1)

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  426 ratings  ·  42 reviews
A simple man with a refined palate, maverick New Orleans lawyer Tubby Dubonnet is a master at juggling the seemingly disparate aspects of his frequently hectic life. His clients are all renegades from the asylum, including a transvestite entertainer with a troublesome skin condition, a buxom blonde with a penchant for not paying her bills, a doctor who refers his own patie ...more
Published January 1st 1996 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about Crooked Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crooked Man

Monnie
Back in June 2014, I got this one free through BookBub - it sounded interesting and is the first in a series of seven, I believe. Set in New Orleans, the author is a New Orleans attorney, and the series has been nominated for both Anthony and Edgar Allen Poe awards. It's also relatively short - just 224 pages - and reader reviews are fairly positive. So what did I have to lose?

Not much, as it turns out. Right off the bat, one sentence made my day: "There were enough law books on the shelves to p
Tim
Tubby Dubonnet is a New Orleans lawyer who tries to keep on the straight and narrow. He represents a wide range of characters in criminal court and when one of his clients gives him a gym bag to hold on to, things start to get interesting. Unfortunately, the client can't come and reclaim the bag.

This is the first in a series (and the second in the series that I have read). I liked this book because it was an engaging read with a good plot that has plenty of twists. The characters are introduced
Kat Lebo
Crooked Man, Tubby Dubonnet #1
by Tony Dunbar

Unlike many of the reviewers on Amazon, I did not find Tubby Dubonnet to be funny or charming or refreshing. Sigh. I know this is the first book in the Dubonnet series, and I am more than willing to give the author a chance to do better in the next installment (might as well, I already have it on my Kindle). However, I must say that I recently read books featuring two of my favorite characters (Nevada Barr and Harry Dresden)from series I've followed si
Stanley McShane
Okay, I tried. 3 times; City of Beads, Crime Czar, and then Crooked Man. Difficult to create any empathy for Tubby; and really don't like him. Heavy into drinks and food. Lots of restaurants. Plodding story line deviates somewhat and moves a little cumbersome for me. Erratic scene changes that were difficult to follow with no explanation. Climax sewed up loose ends with some questionable finagling, but Tubby got into some really questionable moral ground this book that still has me shaking my he ...more
Mary
This was my first Tubby Dubonnet, and I read it on my Kindle. I didn't expect much, because I paid nothing to download it, but Tubby is fun, and I love New Orleans, and the city is as much a character in the story as Tubby is. Tubby isn't a hardworking character. He earns a living as an attorney, but is mostly just interested in a good meal, and interesting people. And then this guy asks him to keep a gym bag in his office, and he agrees, and then everything starts to go wrong.
Bert
The 1994 first Tubby Dubonnet crime mystery novel. This is the pick of the litter, or perhaps the rest are simply more predictable. Protagonist is a 45 year old New Orleans lawyer with alcohol issues, perennial financial difficulties, and the world's most colorful practice. He's an idealist, and at times heroic, bright and packing a dark sense of humor. Lots of nifty glimpses into local judicial politics, scammery in the Big Easy, and local customs and usage.
Dawn
As mysteries go, this isn't Sherlock Holmes. But if you're a fan of the genre and looking for a quick summer read, then you can't go too far wrong with Crooked Man. It's part slapstick, part noir, all entertainment. If Tubby Dubonnet didn't have bad luck, he'd have no luck at all. It's a bit dated (it was first published in 1995), but I enjoyed it. I'm off to read the next Tubby story.
Terri Weitze
I like the Tubby Dubonnet books because they are a nice light read with a touch of New Orleans (without being heavy handed), a likeable main character with lots of fun side characters. And the plots are pretty good too - nothing mind bending but just a good detective story. Even though I'm reading these out of order, the stories definitely stand alone and work.
Steve
First in the Tubby Dubonnet mystery series. Tubby is a lawyer who has a partner, but I handles petty criminals, and small civil suits. In crime novel terms Tubby deals with the criminal under-belly. The story is well written and entertaining. I will continue to read the series.
Laura Johnson
Ok story, takes time to sort out

Storyline was ok, but had trouble keeping the characters straight, especially the bad guys. A bit more exposition would have been helpful. Maybe it would've helped to read the first book first.
Susan
I read the 3rd in the series first and it made me want to see the beginning. I like Tubby Dubonnet and the New Orleans background. The book moves along quickly and there there are several plots to keep things interesting. Fun read.
Mary Schildman
Unexpected

Wow ! Really good twists, good and bad guys bad some not so good - good guys. Enjoyed this well written mystery with a load of twisted characters. Will be acquiring the rest of the series. Enjoyable !
Jerri Peyton
Fair reading, but ......

Fair reading but the plot was thin and the character development poor. On the other hand, it is perfect reading for the sick person who doesn't have a lot of energy to pay attention.
Jenny Conti
Not even sure how I happened upon this book, but I really enjoyed it. New Orleans is a great setting. I have already downloaded the second book! Lots of various characters keep things moving nicely.
Tulay C
Interesting characters.

Sometimes you can't tell who is your friend, who is your enemy. Tubby is lawyer but characters he deals make you smile. Like the ending, maybe you won't.
Tim
Liked Tubby, the fixer lawyer, as a character and New Orleans as a setting and this book was much better in the second half when it settled down to be about Tubby and not the ancillary characters.
Ray Beavers
Found a new Author

The book was both funny and hard to put down. Looking forward to reading another of his books. I always. had a great time in the Big rEady.
edie oliver
Page turner

This was a fun book to read. It kept me entertained all the way though. I would love to read more of Tony Dunbar's books.
wayne r dalcin
Entertaining read

After A slow start, the story developed nicely. Picked up some subtle humor among characters. Worth going on to next book in series to see if these become a must read for me.
Ronald Dixon
Good book

Lots of good. Characters. Worth the time to read .I plan to read the next book in the series....maybe gbesefies
Reverend Stanleigh Chapin
A fun read

one of those that you can breeze thru and not be over intrigued about the intensity, mystery and what ever else
paul miller
Great read!

I have read several of Mr. Dunbar's works and have enjoyed each, his characters are believable and easy too relate to.
Don Paske
There is nothing special here. A readable, somewhat entertaining read. The book suffers from stilted conversations, I think. Oh, well...
Pat
Good mystery about an attorney in New Orleans. A drug bust. $1,000,000 and who has it.
Lots of local flavor.
Well done.
Gordon
Excellent plotting, and the New Orleans references were spot on and not intrusive. Great resolution.
Marcele
It was better than I expected of a mystery book, and some parts of the conclusion really surprised me.
Lee
Simple. OK plot and read. Liked the NOLA feel and many references to familiar places.
Nancy
I'm really hooked on this series...can't wait to read #3 !
Wendy
I think I'm going to like this mystery series.
Susan
Great read. Totally surprising.
  • P.I. on a Hot Tin Roof (Talba Wallis, #4)
  • The Confession  (Mike Daley/Rosie Fernandez Mystery, #5)
  • The Book of Obeah
  • Once Upon A Lie (A Fitzjohn Mystery, #3)
  • The Chupacabra: A Borderline Crazy Tale of Coyotes, Cash & Cartels
  • Crossed (Jayden Morrow Mysteries, #1)
  • The Case of the Not-So-Fair Trader (A Richard Sherlock Whodunit, #1)
  • Dead Before Morning (Rafferty and Llewellyn Police Procedural Series, #1)
  • The Ghost Ship
  • Alive and Killing (David Wolf #3)
  • Just Add Trouble (Hetta Coffey Mystery, #3)
  • Sorrow Wood
  • Dead Pan (Daphne Martin, #2)
  • An Eye for Murder (Ellie Foreman, #1)
  • This Doesn't Happen In The Movies (Reed Ferguson mystery series #1)
Tony Dunbar started writing at quite a young age. When he was 12, growing up in Atlanta, he told people that he was going to be a writer, but it took him until the age of 19 to publish his first book, Our Land Too, based on his civil rights experiences in the Mississippi delta. For entertainment, Tony turned not to television but to reading mysteries such as dozens of Rex Stout’s Nero Wolfe storie ...more
More about Tony Dunbar...

Tubby Dubonnet (8 books)
  • Envision This: A Tubby Dubonnet Short Story (The Tubby Dubonnet Series)
  • City of Beads (Tubby Dubonnet #2)
  • Trick Question (Tubby Dubonnet, #3)
  • Shelter From The Storm: A Hard-Boiled New Orleans Legal Thriller
  • Crime Czar: a Hard-Boiled New Orleans Legal Thriller (Tubby Dubonnet #5)
  • Lucky Man (The Tubby Dubonnet Series)
  • Tubby Meets Katrina (Tubby Dubonnet, #7)
City of Beads (Tubby Dubonnet #2) Trick Question (Tubby Dubonnet, #3) Lucky Man (The Tubby Dubonnet Series) Shelter From The Storm: A Hard-Boiled New Orleans Legal Thriller Crime Czar: a Hard-Boiled New Orleans Legal Thriller (Tubby Dubonnet #5)