Start by marking “Crooked Man (Tubby Dubonnet, #1)” as Want to Read:
Crooked Man (Tubby Dubonnet, #1)

Crooked Man (Tubby Dubonnet #1)

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  293 ratings  ·  27 reviews
A simple man with a refined palate, maverick New Orleans lawyer Tubby Dubonnet is a master at juggling the seemingly disparate aspects of his frequently hectic life. His clients are all renegades from the asylum, including a transvestite entertainer with a troublesome skin condition, a buxom blonde with a penchant for not paying her bills, a doctor who refers his own patie ...more
Published January 1st 1996 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about Crooked Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crooked Man

Tim
Tubby Dubonnet is a New Orleans lawyer who tries to keep on the straight and narrow. He represents a wide range of characters in criminal court and when one of his clients gives him a gym bag to hold on to, things start to get interesting. Unfortunately, the client can't come and reclaim the bag.

This is the first in a series (and the second in the series that I have read). I liked this book because it was an engaging read with a good plot that has plenty of twists. The characters are introduced
Kat Lebo
Crooked Man, Tubby Dubonnet #1
by Tony Dunbar

Unlike many of the reviewers on Amazon, I did not find Tubby Dubonnet to be funny or charming or refreshing. Sigh. I know this is the first book in the Dubonnet series, and I am more than willing to give the author a chance to do better in the next installment (might as well, I already have it on my Kindle). However, I must say that I recently read books featuring two of my favorite characters (Nevada Barr and Harry Dresden)from series I've followed si
Stanley McShane
Okay, I tried. 3 times; City of Beads, Crime Czar, and then Crooked Man. Difficult to create any empathy for Tubby; and really don't like him. Heavy into drinks and food. Lots of restaurants. Plodding story line deviates somewhat and moves a little cumbersome for me. Erratic scene changes that were difficult to follow with no explanation. Climax sewed up loose ends with some questionable finagling, but Tubby got into some really questionable moral ground this book that still has me shaking my he ...more
Mary
This was my first Tubby Dubonnet, and I read it on my Kindle. I didn't expect much, because I paid nothing to download it, but Tubby is fun, and I love New Orleans, and the city is as much a character in the story as Tubby is. Tubby isn't a hardworking character. He earns a living as an attorney, but is mostly just interested in a good meal, and interesting people. And then this guy asks him to keep a gym bag in his office, and he agrees, and then everything starts to go wrong.
Bert
The 1994 first Tubby Dubonnet crime mystery novel. This is the pick of the litter, or perhaps the rest are simply more predictable. Protagonist is a 45 year old New Orleans lawyer with alcohol issues, perennial financial difficulties, and the world's most colorful practice. He's an idealist, and at times heroic, bright and packing a dark sense of humor. Lots of nifty glimpses into local judicial politics, scammery in the Big Easy, and local customs and usage.
Dawn
As mysteries go, this isn't Sherlock Holmes. But if you're a fan of the genre and looking for a quick summer read, then you can't go too far wrong with Crooked Man. It's part slapstick, part noir, all entertainment. If Tubby Dubonnet didn't have bad luck, he'd have no luck at all. It's a bit dated (it was first published in 1995), but I enjoyed it. I'm off to read the next Tubby story.
Steve
First in the Tubby Dubonnet mystery series. Tubby is a lawyer who has a partner, but I handles petty criminals, and small civil suits. In crime novel terms Tubby deals with the criminal under-belly. The story is well written and entertaining. I will continue to read the series.
Laura Johnson
Ok story, takes time to sort out

Storyline was ok, but had trouble keeping the characters straight, especially the bad guys. A bit more exposition would have been helpful. Maybe it would've helped to read the first book first.
Susan
I read the 3rd in the series first and it made me want to see the beginning. I like Tubby Dubonnet and the New Orleans background. The book moves along quickly and there there are several plots to keep things interesting. Fun read.
Mary Schildman
Unexpected

Wow ! Really good twists, good and bad guys bad some not so good - good guys. Enjoyed this well written mystery with a load of twisted characters. Will be acquiring the rest of the series. Enjoyable !
Tim
Liked Tubby, the fixer lawyer, as a character and New Orleans as a setting and this book was much better in the second half when it settled down to be about Tubby and not the ancillary characters.
Reverend Stanleigh Chapin
A fun read

one of those that you can breeze thru and not be over intrigued about the intensity, mystery and what ever else
paul miller
Great read!

I have read several of Mr. Dunbar's works and have enjoyed each, his characters are believable and easy too relate to.
Marcele
It was better than I expected of a mystery book, and some parts of the conclusion really surprised me.
Nancy
I'm really hooked on this series...can't wait to read #3 !
Susan
Great read. Totally surprising.
Dfb
Bit dated
Kandi
I really enjoyed reading this book. It is well written and the pace is lively. Im looking forward to reading the whole series.
Beth
I do not recall why I set this book aside. I finally picked it up again this past weekend and finished it up in just a few hours. It had a plausible plot line, set in my favorite local--New Orleans. I'll probably read more in this series.
Donna
Actually more of a 3 1/2 stars, I love any book that has New Orleans as a setting. Not really sympathic characters, but they so fit NOLA, where you have to be a little unethical to survive. I will read the next one in the series.
Neil Plakcy
I liked the character of Tubby a lot and I liked all the chapters that featured him -- but I didn't like the ones that were about the bad guys and ended up skipping them.
Robbie
My first book by this author. Found it difficult to empathize with any of the characters; probably won't read any more Tubby Dubonnet books. A little dark for me.
Nancy
It was fun to read about pre-Katrina New Orleans. Lots of local flavor and an unexpected ending made it enjoyable.
Julie Pedersen witt
Surprised me at the end. I like that. This was a pretty good story. I liked it and will read this author again.
Wanda Bacala
I enjoy these books. They're good, almost great. The N.O. setting makes me partial to them, as well.
Lorna
Would not recommend this book.
Denise
Denise marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
  • Louisiana Hotshot (Talba Wallis, #1)
  • This Doesn't Happen In The Movies (Reed Ferguson mystery series #1)
  • The Confession  (Mike Daley/Rosie Fernandez Mystery, #5)
  • A Dash of Murder (Pecan Bayou Series #1)
  • Hot Enough to Kill (The Jolene Jackson Mystery Series, #1)
  • All For One
  • Widow's Row
  • Once Upon A Lie (A Fitzjohn Mystery, #3)
  • Creatures of Appetite
  • First, Kill All The Lawyers
  • Jackrabbit Junction Jitters (Jackrabbit Junction, #2)
  • Cooking the Books (Sloane Templeton Mysteries #1)
  • Death Will Get You Sober (Bruce Kohler, #1)
  • The Book of Obeah
  • Crazy in Paradise (Paradise, #1)
  • The Death Contingency (Regan McHenry Real Estate Mysteries, #1)
Tony Dunbar started writing at quite a young age. When he was 12, growing up in Atlanta, he told people that he was going to be a writer, but it took him until the age of 19 to publish his first book, Our Land Too, based on his civil rights experiences in the Mississippi delta. For entertainment, Tony turned not to television but to reading mysteries such as dozens of Rex Stout’s Nero Wolfe storie ...more
More about Tony Dunbar...
City of Beads (Tubby Dubonnet #2) Lucky Man (The Tubby Dubonnet Series) Crime Czar: a Hard-Boiled New Orleans Legal Thriller (Tubby Dubonnet #5) Shelter From The Storm: A Hard-Boiled New Orleans Legal Thriller Trick Question: A Hard-Boiled New Orleans Legal Thriller (Tubby Dubonnet #3) (The Tubby Dubonnet Series)