The Psychoses 1955-1956 (Seminar of Jacques Lacan)

The Psychoses 1955-1956 (Le Séminaire #3)

4.32 of 5 stars 4.32  ·  rating details  ·  110 ratings  ·  4 reviews
Taking us into and beyond the realm of Freudian psychoanalysis, Lacan examines the psychoses' inescapable connection to the symbolic process through which signifier is joined with signified. Lacan deftly navigates the ontological levels of the symbolic, the imaginary, and the real to explain psychosis as "foreclosure," or rejection of the primordial signifier. Then, bridgi...more
Published July 17th 1997 by W. W. Norton & Company (first published January 1st 1920)

To ask other readers questions about The Psychoses 1955-1956, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Psychoses 1955-1956

Chris
I read this after my friend had a major psychotic episode. It was fascinating, but I'm not a Lacanian so my grasp of the text is probably severely lacking.

Unfortunately I can now identify a psychotic discourse when I see read it...so i guess it's kind of like learning knowledge that contains a curse.

One should always keep these things in mind.
Jed
This seminar is still fairly early in Lacan's development, but a lot of important elements of his theories are elaborated. The most famous is probably "the quilting point," the signifier which fixes meaning in place and works like a ballast to keep it from drifting endlessly. Lacan concludes that not lacking enough of these is key factor in bringing on psychosis. There's a heavy debt to Saussure's linguistics running through this text.

It's also noteworthy because of his in-depth focus on Schreb...more
Bradley
Lacan's reputation precedes him. I've read reviews of his books that say his books are purposefully obscure, difficult, and not worth the tedious effort. I am finding this reputation must come from short-attention-spanned professors who are barely literate.
Celso Rennó Lima
Uma maneira surpreendente de trabalhar os conceitos Freudianos, abrindo novas perspectivas de abordagem da psicose. Seu conceito de Nome-do-Pai e de Foraclusão trouxeram possibilidades para a escuta e tratamento da psicose.
Jon Johnson
Jon Johnson marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
Jon
Jon marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
Valerie
Valerie is currently reading it
Aug 11, 2014
Carter
Carter marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
Chey
Chey added it
Jul 13, 2014
Itai Farhi
Itai Farhi marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2014
Laura marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2014
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2014
Andrew Stanford
Andrew Stanford marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2014
Taís
Taís marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2014
wwdz
wwdz marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Jacques-Marie-Émile Lacan was a French psychoanalyst, psychiatrist, and doctor, who made prominent contributions to the psychoanalytic movement. His yearly seminars, conducted in Paris from 1953 until his death in 1981, were a major influence in the French intellectual milieu of the 1960s and 1970s, particularly among post-structuralist thinkers.

Lacan's ideas centered on Freudian concepts such as...more
More about Jacques Lacan...
Écrits Four Fundamental Concepts of Psychoanalysis: The Four Fundamental Concepts of Psychoanalysis (Seminar of Jacques Lacan) On Feminine Sexuality, the Limits of Love and Knowledge: The Seminar of Jacques Lacan, Book XX: Encore Écrits: A Selection The Ethics of Psychoanalysis 1959-1960 (Seminar of Jacques Lacan)