Start by marking “The Deader The Better (Leo Waterman, #6)” as Want to Read:
The Deader The Better (Leo Waterman, #6)

The Deader The Better (Leo Waterman #6)

3.97  ·  Rating Details  ·  502 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
Seattle p.i. Leo Waterman isn't looking for trouble when he and his forensic pathologist girlfriend Rebecca escape into the Washington wilder for a few days of relaxation -- it just seems to find him. An old friend has purchased some choice property here in North America's only rain forest and his posting of "No Trespassing" signs has incurred the wrath of every sportsman ...more
Published January 9th 2001 by Avon (first published February 8th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Deader The Better, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Deader The Better

One for the Money by Janet EvanovichDiners, Dives & Dead Ends by Terri L. AustinThis Pen for Hire by Laura LevineFront Page Fatality by LynDee WalkerPortrait of a Dead Guy by Larissa Reinhart
Humorous Mysteries
53rd out of 184 books — 95 voters
Snow Falling on Cedars by David GutersonSometimes a Great Notion by Ken KeseyThe Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman AlexieHotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie FordThe Brothers K by David James Duncan
Pacific Northwest Books
416th out of 607 books — 402 voters

More lists with this book...

T
Sep 28, 2011 T rated it liked it
Private investigator Leo Waterman returns in this book, looking to solve the murder of his pathologist girl friend Rebecca's god-daughter's husband. This tale is set out on the peninsula, rather than in Seattle, with a few of the cast of Leo's troupe of characters used to help solve the crime.

Often fun to see what part of the city GM Ford includes in his tales, this one mentioning the houses caught in the slide in the Roanoke area, visible from the I-5 freeway, a very real event and location.
Brenda Turner
Mar 05, 2014 Brenda Turner rated it it was amazing
If you like the tv show Leverage you will love, love, love this book. action packed, some comedic moments, sympsthetic moments and bigger personal issues also surface after a personal friend is murdered, his widowed wife and children shot at in their home- which is then torched. To the rescue comes almost family member P.I. LEO WATERMAN. I cant decide which one of his other novels I want to read next.
Eliana
Apr 04, 2014 Eliana added it
Funny, funny, improbable and lovable characters. Set in Seattle where the lone P.I. solves cases with the help of his version of the Baker Street regulars, a bunch of winos from downtown's Pioneer Square. Well written, political humor and atypical shamus investigations form the basis of these novels.
Marty
Nov 29, 2011 Marty rated it really liked it
Very interesting and I think the best Leo Waterman mystery. It starts with a murder, but isn't a very conventional murder mystery. You find out who did it at the end, but most of the time revolves around things not really focused on solving that mystery directly.
Donna Maroulis
Aug 26, 2012 Donna Maroulis rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed the story and the picturesque descriptive style of G.M. Ford. I would love to read more Leo Waterman mysteries in the future. His band of misfit helpers against the bad guys band of misfits made for great fun .
Adrian
Feb 16, 2015 Adrian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant, absolutely brilliant

Absolutely outstanding. The plot construction, growing the characters, and the writing- oh the writing- are all flawless. Even the dialogue is sharp and witty!
Patricia
Aug 02, 2014 Patricia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Leo Waterman is a delight! (Providing you don't mind a bit of slightly off-color life...) And his assistants, those wonderful, off the wall, on the street "boys"....
In this case, the case begins in the woods, where Leo and his "friend" Rebecca have retreated for a little well-deserved R & R. Instead, they find vandalism, cruelty, harassment, and, yes, murder.
Leo and his crowd chase down the villains (or rather, try to trip them up in order to catch them, as they are the locals). As things a
PAUL KERCH
Sep 28, 2014 PAUL KERCH rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fast and fun.

Good, fast story. Funny at times. Believable if you're in the mood for a story. Author writes for guys. Girls, not so much.
Greg Tymn
May 22, 2014 Greg Tymn rated it really liked it
This is the most challengingly complex plot that I have seen in the Waterman series. The warp and weft of seemingly disparate elements come together by the end of the novel in a way that made me appreciate the multi-layered plot. I can't say this is my favorite Leo Waterman novel as a few of the character interactions appear to be extraneous plot branches that serve to color the story but remain incrementally unimportant. The disposition of Hand and Russell appeared a bit contrived and likely to ...more
Sandy
Oct 17, 2012 Sandy rated it really liked it
new author for me. love his style! go thru his books quickly, can't put them down.
Ed
Jul 23, 2015 Ed rated it really liked it
#6 in the Leo Waterman series. Finalist 2001 Shamus Award for Best Novel. Leo Waterman is a Seattle PI.

Leo Waterman and girlfriend Rebecca, visit friends and the husband describes a conspiracy, wherein everyone is out to get him and ruin his business. Leo thinks he is exaggerating, but a few weeks later he's dead. Leo and Rebecca are almost killed and Leo, with underworld acquaintances, strikes back. Leo's refusal to back off threatens his relationship.
Stephen Arnott
May 07, 2015 Stephen Arnott rated it liked it
Shelves: thriller, mystery
I've read three of Ford's books featuring Leo Waterman and this is the one I've liked the most.

Essentially, Leo's friend of a friend buys some riverside property in the back of beyond and is then hounded into bankruptcy by crooked local officials and lawmen. Or is he just a paranoid conspiracy theorist?

Things escalate. People die. And Leo has to recruit an A-Team of drunks, heavies and prostitutes (and a gay cat-burgler) to set things right.
Sue Nelson
Apr 16, 2014 Sue Nelson rated it liked it
Leo Waterman is a PI in Seattle, tough when needed, fair, he cares but doesn’t show it, good at zingers and says it like it is. The entertaining aspect of these books is his ‘staff’. When he needs help finding or tracking people he uses a group of locals who live in questionable places and always have a brown bag bottle handy. As Leo has noted, they are invisible to society at large and, therefore, get the answers he needs without being noticed. The interchanges he has with them are a highlight ...more
Jeff Dickison
May 31, 2015 Jeff Dickison rated it really liked it
This is the first time I have read G.M Ford and I really liked this. I will be reading more in the future. The plot revolves around a conspiracy murder and how Waterman goes about solving the crime. Recommended.
Kevin
Jun 01, 2014 Kevin rated it really liked it
Leo Waterman is t it again trying to figure out who killed his friend. The homeless play a smaller part with the introduction of some new characters. Overall a good book!
Katharine Ott
Sep 16, 2015 Katharine Ott rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-thriller
"The Deader the Better" - written by G M Ford and published in 2000 by William Morrow. Very good!
Susan
May 17, 2014 Susan rated it really liked it
Shelves: gritty-mystery
I enjoyed this one. It is too bad my library does not seem to have anymore of the series.
Donna Stinson
Mar 19, 2015 Donna Stinson rated it it was amazing
LOVE this series. Leo waterman is my favorite detective character!
LJ
The Deader the Better - G
Ford, G. M. - 6th in Leo Waterman series

Visiting his fisherman friend in Washington state, freelance sleuth Leo Waterman is drawn into a mystery when his friend is killed and the man's cabin is burned to the ground.

At least he didn't kill off the girlfriend.
David Highton
Jun 11, 2016 David Highton rated it really liked it
The sixth Leo Waterman novel and first set out in Washington State rather than in Seattle. Leo puts together a team to root out a conspiracy and a murder - despite the cost to his personal life. Looking forward to the next book.
Eric
Jun 13, 2011 Eric rated it liked it
Shelves: genre-fiction
This is a Leo Waterman myster by GM Ford. Ford is a Pacific Northwest writer. Pretty interesting tale. Not amazing, but I like the regionalism of this a lot.
Pastor Don
Aug 01, 2012 Pastor Don rated it really liked it
I didn't read this book since GM Ford stopped writing Leo Waterman mysteries. I wanted one to fall back on. Now there's a new coming out and can't wait!
Rebecca
Jan 04, 2012 Rebecca rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, fiction, 2012
First book I managed to successfully borrow from the library to read on my Kindle. Pgood read for the G train shuffle.
Clint
Apr 04, 2013 Clint rated it really liked it
Shelves: mysteries
I really like the way this author writes, I have yet to put down one of his books.
Clara
Jan 15, 2009 Clara rated it liked it
A good disposable read for the madness of Vegas.
Cynny
Cynny rated it really liked it
Aug 24, 2016
Thomas J. De Marco
Thomas J. De Marco rated it really liked it
Cindi Haliburton
Cindi Haliburton rated it really liked it
Onyx
Onyx marked it as to-read
linda sams
linda sams rated it really liked it
Aug 19, 2016
  • The Big Law (Phil Broker, #2)
  • Rancid Pansies (Gerald Samper #3)
  • The New Girl (Downside, #3)
  • Das war ich nicht
  • Magical Mystery oder die Rückkehr des Karl Schmidt
  • House of Dark Shadows/Watcher in the Woods (Dreamhouse Kings, #1-2)
  • The Night the Rich Men Burned
  • The Alpine Winter (Emma Lord, #23)
  • October Fest (Murder-by-Month Mystery #6)
  • The Inheritance (Inspector Trave, #1)
  • Skull Duggery (Gideon Oliver, #16)
  • Night Kills (Frank Quinn, #3)
  • Next Victim
  • Così Fan Tutti (Aurelio Zen, #5)
Gerald M. Ford is the author of the widely praised Frank Corso novels, Fury, Black River, A Blind Eye, Red Tide, No Man's Land, and Blown Away; six highly acclaimed mysteries, featuring Seattle private investigator Leo Waterman; and the stand-alone thriller Nameless Night. A former creative writing teacher in western Washington, Ford lives in Seattle and is currently working on his next novel.
More about G.M. Ford...

Leo Waterman (9 books)
  • Who in Hell Is Wanda Fuca? (Leo Waterman, #1)
  • Cast In Stone (Leo Waterman, #2)
  • The Bum's Rush (Leo Waterman, #3)
  • Slow Burn (Leo Waterman, #4)
  • Last Ditch (Leo Waterman, #5)
  • Thicker Than Water (Leo Waterman, #7)
  • Chump Change (Leo Waterman, #8)
  • Salvation Lake (Leo Waterman, #9)