Start by marking “In Search of the Big Bang” as Want to Read:
In Search of the Big Bang
John Gribbin

In Search of the Big Bang

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  148 ratings  ·  5 reviews
In this radically revised and updated edition incorporating the latest scientific findings, science writer and cosmologist John Gribbin explores the origins of the Universe and considers its ultimate fate.
Published March 1st 1986 by Bantam (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about In Search of the Big Bang, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In Search of the Big Bang

It is always a pleasure to read when the author is on top of the subject he is talking about. And the pleasure gets accentuated when the author strives to lucidly and simply unravel the topic in this case the mystery of the Universe. The quest for truth on the origin of the Universe and how it works is the ultimate quest of mankind and makes us understand how we came to be. Must read for all.
yep. another book on theoretical physics involving cosmology; i guess i never change.

for those interested in the BIG BANG theory this is an in-depth and more than slightly technical dissertation. i greatly enjoyed the biographical tidbits about each of the successive scientists that aided in the alterations of perception (both publically and in the egghead community) of physics. the models of "the universe" under which we humans have gone about our daily lives has drastically changed in the last
This subject always blows my mind, because I'm not as smart as I wish I was, but John Gribbin is some kind of fantastic writer, able to explain some pretty complex science in a way I can almost (and sometimes) understand. This is a book about the thinkers who have built on each other's knowledge and discoveries to try to explain what went on, what is going on, and what might happen in the future. The answer is there. Recommended.
Very detailed, but a completely updated edition would be great.
This was a fantastic book. Gribbin is excellent in everything I've read from him. What I appreciate of Gribbin is that he gives you the details, he explains the theories and doesn't dumb it down too much (but enough). If you want to understand the development and history of the theory of the big bang, read this book! You'll learn a lot more about cosmology and physics in the process.
1oel is currently reading it
Sep 29, 2015
Fateme_sheykhpoor marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2015
Rakib Talukder
Rakib Talukder marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2015
Dougr marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2015
D.K. marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2015
Featherstone marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2015
Ahlam marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2015
Sorobai marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2015
Lew S. Jeter
Lew S. Jeter is currently reading it
Sep 07, 2015
Lune001 marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2015
Zack Reagin
Zack Reagin marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2015
Guido Paola
Guido Paola is currently reading it
Aug 15, 2015
Rishabh Sood
Rishabh Sood marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2015
Rob Wolfe
Rob Wolfe is currently reading it
Aug 11, 2015
Subash marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2015
  • The Future of Spacetime
  • Why The Toast Always Lands Butter Side Down
  • The Red Limit
  • The Mathematical Universe: An Alphabetical Journey Through the Great Proofs, Problems, and Personalities
  • Before The Beginning
  • What Just Happened: A Chronicle from the Information Frontier
  • Faster Than the Speed of Light: The Story of a Scientific Speculation
  • A World Without Time: The Forgotten Legacy of Gödel And Einstein
  • The Matter Myth
  • An Introduction to Black Holes, Information and the String Theory Revolution: The Holographic Universe
  • Creation: Life and How to Make It
  • The Past and the Punishments
  • Does God Play Dice?: The New Mathematics of Chaos
John R. Gribbin (born 1946) is a British science writer, an astrophysicist, and a visiting fellow in astronomy at the University of Sussex. The topical range of his prolific writings include quantum physics, biographies of famous scientists, human evolution, the origins of the universe, climate change and global warming. His also writes science fiction.

John Gribbin graduated with his bachelor's de
More about John Gribbin...
In Search of Schrödinger's Cat: Quantum Physics and Reality Schrodinger's Kittens and the Search for Reality: Solving the Quantum Mysteries The Scientists: A History of Science Told Through the Lives of Its Greatest Inventors In Search of the Multiverse Deep Simplicity: Bringing Order to Chaos and Complexity