Start by marking “The Story of the Walnut Tree” as Want to Read:
The Story of the Walnut Tree

The Story of the Walnut Tree

Published December 31st 2000 by Bookcraft (first published October 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Story of the Walnut Tree, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Story of the Walnut Tree

Fallen by Lauren KateEntwined by Heather DixonUnearthly by Cynthia HandThe Goddess Test by Aimee CarterRed Riding Hood by Sarah Blakley-Cartwright
Covers with woods, forest, leaves, or trees
285th out of 290 books — 107 voters
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. RowlingShades of Earth by Beth RevisThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienResistance by Jaye L. Knight
green covers
99th out of 116 books — 14 voters

More lists with this book...

Alisha
Sep 19, 2015 Alisha rated it really liked it
I didn't realize this book was telling the story of the pulpit in the LDS Conference Center in Salt Lake City, Utah until quite a few pages in. I heard President Hinckley tell the story himself and revere him as a prophet. He was the prophet of my youth, my college years, and my early marriage. Much of my testimony was formed while he gave counsel. I really enjoyed reading this book to my children and hope to purchase it to have it in our home.
Reana Smiley
Jul 18, 2015 Reana Smiley rated it really liked it
Staheli, Don H., and Robert Barrett. The Story of the Walnut Tree. Salt Lake City, Utah: Bookcraft/Deseret Book, 2000. Print. The story of the Walnut Tree tells the story of Gordon B. Hinckley’s walnut tree. In this story the reader learns not to look on the outside but the inside. Despite the fact that the walnut tree wasn’t loved, in the end it became something beautiful after being sick. This is a story that could be used to teach children that from trials, we grow and become stronger than we ...more
Laina
Aug 13, 2008 Laina rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
Another favorite picture book of mine. It has sentimental value as my dad gave it to me for my eigth bithday. Absolutely wonderful, based on a true story President Hinckley told. Timless, beautiful, with amazing pictures.
Stephanie Crowther
Oct 21, 2014 Stephanie Crowther rated it it was amazing
Shelves: child-lit
This is a lovely story that I have heard told many times, but it seemed more impressive to me when it was accompanied by beautiful illustrations. It is a short story with many powerful messages--messages of work, love, and dedication, and messages of enduring, believing, and giving. There are all sorts of themes that make this story meaningful for many different reasons among all readers. It can be applied to all people at various stages in their lives. They might be the kind man, or the playful ...more
Sasha Thompson
Feb 10, 2014 Sasha Thompson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: february
I really liked this story because of background behind it. I didn't recognize the story at first, but when I flipped the page and saw a drawing of an old man who looked exactly like Gordon B. Hinckley, I instantly remembered the talk he gave about this story. I think the moral of this story is really good and reminds us that not everything is beautiful or usefully right that very second, sometimes we just have to learn to be patient and realize that things can become beautiful over time.
Alyssa
Feb 05, 2014 Alyssa rated it really liked it
Shelves: february
The Story of the Walnut Tree has always been one of my favorites. Whenever I read it I can hear President Hinckley's voice and I remember all the wonderful stories that he told. He was truly an inspirational man. I love that this book captures a bit of the kind and persistent man that he was. Knowing the story of where the pulpit comes from makes me miss President Hinckley so much, but I am grateful that we have the amazing story of his life to remember him.
Lindsay Gilbert
Feb 11, 2015 Lindsay Gilbert rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-lit
This book was very good and I had no idea that it was about President Gordon B. Hinckley. I think I enjoyed it so much because it teaches us to dig deeper into the roots and not just see it for it's outward appearance. Although the children didn't think much of the tree at all, they couldn't climb it, it didn't provide much shade, in the end the tree became a beautiful piece seen by thousands, maybe millions around the world.
Alissa Sparks
I find this book, by far, one of my favorite books because it allowed me to understand more about trees and something very special. I can not tell you or it may spoil the ending. I believe this story would allow children to think more about nature And how precious it is. Their minds can think on how they can climb trees, what they can do out doors rather than just in doors, and etc.
Nicole Clark
Feb 28, 2014 Nicole Clark rated it it was amazing
Shelves: febuary
When I first started reading this story I thought it was going to about a young man growing old watching the trees and understanding that they need love to grow. But as I kept reading I relized that it was bout what we can do when we take our time and grow really , we will turn into something that we never thought we could. I think that is a imporatant message for young children.
Madi Sharp
Feb 10, 2015 Madi Sharp rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this sweet story of the walnut tree. Gordon B. Hinckley is such a phenomenal man and in this book he teaches a great lesson. We need to love and care for everyone. Patience is a virtue. Sometimes when things don't work out as planned then greater things come of it. I think that anyone can learn from this book and enjoy the nice messages.
Ashlee Moser
Oct 22, 2014 Ashlee Moser rated it it was amazing
When first reading the book I didn't realize the book was about the LDS prophet Gordon B. Hinckley. This book had a great uplifting message that people who aren't even LDS can enjoy. I think that you create a great discussion from this by asking questions like: Are there things that are special to you in your life that you have spent time taking care of?
Marilyn Johnson
Jul 23, 2015 Marilyn Johnson rated it really liked it
Inspired by an account given by President Gordon B. Hinckley, this tale tells of how he transformed a struggling walnut tree into the beautiful pulpit of the Conference Center of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. This is a true story in which the words have been simplified for young readers. The story will bring tears to your eyes.
Dan Ward
Feb 13, 2015 Dan Ward rated it it was amazing
I love reading this book to my kids. I loved president Hinkley and I love planting trees! It is a great story for all even if it is a childrens book. I would also encourage anyone interested looking up the conference talk where President Hinkley talked about the tree and the pulpit it was built into.
Ashley Whiteley
Feb 10, 2014 Ashley Whiteley rated it really liked it
It was a very descriptive book with a lot of metaphors. The man is the perfect example of optimism. When the children don't believe that the tree will make it, the man sees its potential. It is a great story of wisdom. Teaches that we are all beautiful and we can be something great. A very touching story.
Lauren Briggs
Feb 05, 2014 Lauren Briggs rated it it was amazing
Shelves: february
Amazing pictures and amazing message. It is important to remember that good things are worth waiting for and to be patient. Every time I watch General Conference I will remember Gordon B. Hinckley and the patience he had while growing his walnut tree. I am going to read this book to my children.
Ashley
I will admit that when I picked up this book I judged it by its quaint cover. As I was reading I thought that the story seemed familiar, but I couldn't figure out why. The pictures were beautiful and once I saw the illustration of the face of the man who planted the walnut seed I realized it was the story of President Hinckley.
Michelle
Oct 21, 2014 Michelle rated it it was amazing
Great moral to the story. Not only did it teach an important lesson, I was able to apply it to my life. I really enjoyed the pictures and had no idea that this had to do with our church and I never knew the importance of the pulpit but now I know.
Lynnette
Feb 07, 2014 Lynnette rated it it was amazing
Shelves: febuary
I loved this book because it had a lot of good themes in it. It teaches readers that things aren't always what they appear and that we each have talents and ableities that help to beautify the world.
Whitney Wahlen
Oct 23, 2014 Whitney Wahlen rated it it was amazing
I could have read this story over and over again. I loved that this was a talk by President Hinckley and it showed how his hard work payed off. Such a fun story!
Jennybug
This is a wonderful picture book. I just love the prophet Gordon B. Hinckley and I can remember when he talked about the Walnut Tree in general conference.
Mariah Gerber
Dec 15, 2014 Mariah Gerber rated it liked it
Shelves: child-lit
I really liked this book. I actually received this book for a baptism present when I was 8 and still have it. I loved the storyline.
Alice
Dec 09, 2014 Alice rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-5-stars
4.5 Stars This is a great true story about a tree and a man I admire. It has a great message for those who aren't member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, or have never heard of Gordon B. Hinckley, it is still a lovely story. The reason I can't give it a 5 star is the book binding is terrible. I know that isn't the author and illustrators fault, but a book with this quality of story and pictures should not be held together with cheap glue and poor and poor binding. But Desere ...more
April
Aug 24, 2016 April rated it it was amazing
Shelves: religion, children
Loved reading this to my kids tonight!
Brenda
Jan 06, 2010 Brenda rated it it was amazing
Each time I read this beautiful story, I'm reminded of President Gordon B. Hinckley's love of trees and gardening. He taught his children that there is an inner beauty and potential in all God's creations. "Often the things that are not so pretty outside are the most beautiful inside", "The best things in life give all they have, even if it isn't very much" are two of my favorite quotes from the book, and important truths to remember.
Tiffany
Jul 13, 2008 Tiffany rated it it was amazing
I can't wait to share this book with my daughter when she is old enough to pay more attention to General Conference. I think it will be special for her to understand where the pulpit in the Conference Center came from!
Lady Ozma
Sep 13, 2009 Lady Ozma rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s, 2009
This is one of my favourite picture books. I know it's silly to be in my 30's and love a picture book, but there's just a few that really are just that great. I read this one at least once a year. :)
Suzan
Nov 03, 2008 Suzan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture
This story was inspired by President Hinckley's story of the walnut tree he grew in his yard, and then when it was dying used it to make the podium in the Conference Center.
Theo kids
Apr 19, 2012 Theo kids rated it it was amazing
A great story about the true value of things and I love that it included President Hinckley. He will always be one of my favorite prophets and speakers. Good picture book!
Lauren
Feb 07, 2008 Lauren rated it it was amazing
This is the story of Gordon B. Hinckley growing a walnut tree on his property. When the tree died, he had the wood used to make the pulpit in the new conference center in SLC.
Queen
Nov 12, 2009 Queen rated it it was amazing
Love this book. Love President Hinckley. Fun to read to my girls. They were so excited when they recognized the pulpit from General Conference.
  • I Am a Child of God
  • Daughter of a King
  • My First Book of Mormon Stories
  • A Christmas Dress for Ellen
  • Children's Songbook
  • Charlie's Monument
  • Our Latter-Day Hymns: The Stories and the Messages
  • I Believe in Santa Claus
  • Forgotten Carols: A Christmas Story & Songbook (Book Only)
  • Christmas Oranges
  • One Bright Shining Hope
  • American History Stories You Never Read in School but Should Have (Vol.1)
  • Small and Simple Things