Start by marking “Buffalo Before Breakfast (Magic Tree House, #18)” as Want to Read:
Buffalo Before Breakfast (Magic Tree House, #18)

Buffalo Before Breakfast (Magic Tree House #18)

3.80  ·  Rating Details  ·  5,921 Ratings  ·  152 Reviews
Hello, buffalo!

Published June 15th 2010 by Random House for Young Readers (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Buffalo Before Breakfast, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Buffalo Before Breakfast

A Perfect Time for Pandas by Mary Pope OsborneSummer of the Sea Serpent by Mary Pope OsborneLeprechaun in Late Winter by Mary Pope OsborneEve of the Emperor Penguin by Mary Pope OsborneNight of the New Magicians by Mary Pope Osborne
Magic Tree House
36th out of 56 books — 60 voters
Dinosaurs Before Dark by Mary Pope OsborneThe Mystery of the Stolen Diamonds by David A. AdlerThe Case of the Missing Monkey by Cynthia RylantThe Catnapping Mystery by David A. AdlerThe Birthday Mystery by David A. Adler
Best Series for Early Readers
17th out of 52 books — 22 voters

More lists with this book...

Julesmarie

Lots of good information in this one. Jack and Annie go back in time and spend a day with some Lakota indians. Jack's trusty research book had some great facts to share about the Indians, but they also spent some time with an Indian "grandmother" who taught them some fascinating things about their beliefs and way of life.

The adventure with the buffalo was improbable and somewhat worrisome. I grew up not far from Yellowstone National Park, and we'd visit at least once a year. So perhaps
Rohm1234
Mar 12, 2014 Rohm1234 rated it really liked it
Plot:
Jake and Annie go on an adventure back in time to the Great Plains and learn how the Indians obtained their resource and their belief in the Great Spirit. Jack and Annie learned quite a bit from the Indians. It was a simpler time that should've never been disturbed. In my opinion, Indians had it right, and the white man ruined it.

Characterization:
The main characters in “Magic Tree House #18: Buffalo Before Breakfast” are Jack, Annie, Black Hawk,and Grandma. Jack and Annie are two kids f
Sarah Sammis
Apr 05, 2010 Sarah Sammis rated it liked it
In Buffalo Before Breakfast Jack and Annie are sent to a Lakota village where they must earn a gift of courage to help Arthur in Camelot.

Jack and Annie have to tread carefully when making contact with the Lakota villagers. The rely on Morgan's book for how to introduce themselves and how act respectfully and bravely. They meet a boy of similar age who lives with his grandmother.

Together Jack, Annie and the Lakota boy go hunting for bison. The learn an important lesson about the difference betwee
David Redden
May 28, 2013 David Redden rated it liked it
Mary (6): 4.5 stars. I say that I'm going to whack you with this Kindle. Hehehehe! What else do you have to say about this book? I liked it when Jack, um, saved, um, Black Hawk from the buffalos and how Annie stopped the stampede with the buffalo woman.

Sam (8): 4.5 stars. I liked it because it gave some more information about buffalo and the, uh, Mary, what were they called? The people? Dad, you better not be writing that. The Lakota? Yes. Okay, what about them? I liked it when Jack saved them.
Macey Schoenick
May 23, 2013 Macey Schoenick rated it it was amazing
Jack and Annie are on another mission only this time, it isn't like the rest. Teddy, a little dog, has a spell on them and they have to undo it. Morgan La Fey leaves a note in the treehouse on what they need to do. Jack and Annie end up back in time when the buffalo roam the land. They find a tribe that welcomes them. Black Hawk, who's the same age as Jack and Annie, tries to help out the siblings with their mission. Will Black Hawk, Jack, and Annie find out the answers to this riddle? Pick up t ...more
Allie Maas
Mar 30, 2016 Allie Maas rated it really liked it
Title: Magic Tree House: Buffalo Before Breakfast
Illustrator: Sal Murdocca
Genre: Transitional Chapter Book
Theme(s): Lakota Indians, tree houses, magic, North American Natives.
Opening Line/sentence:

Brief Book Summary:
In this series, siblings Jack and Annie travel through time to complete missions given to them from a magical librarian. In their magic tree house the duo point to a
Rosa Cline
Jan 23, 2015 Rosa Cline rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
A really neat series of books, although you CAN read them individually, it's just nicer to read them in order to understand what is really going on. These series are chapter books my son and I sit and read it for about 30 minutes or so. Very interesting, keeping our attention. Just enough 'Science' to keep it educational but yet enough imagination in it to keep it fun too. Each book apparently will have a 'guide' to the two children in the book but to the reader-listener it will give History les ...more
Rubi
Jun 27, 2014 Rubi rated it really liked it
I've always wanted to be part of a Native American tribe....their way of life always fascinated me.
When Jack and Annie visited the Lakota, a boy tried to show them how to hunt buffalo and got into trouble.
His grandmother had told them there had been no need, that "everything was relates." and it's so true!
We do something that leads to something else and lead sto another and another.....what we do have consequences and people for get that. I love had simply taught this lesson was in this book. I
Kendall Coreno
Dec 03, 2015 Kendall Coreno marked it as to-read
Title: Buffalo Before Breakfast
Illustrator: Sal Murdocca
Genre: Historic (realistic) fiction
Theme(s): History and friendship
Opening line/sentence: One summer day in Frog Creek, Pennsylvania, a mysterious tree house appeared in the woods.
Brief Book Summary: Tow Children, Jack and Annie are sent back to the Great Plains way before the 20th century. There they meet a boy from the Lokato tribe named Black Hawk who helps them learn more about the people of the Great Plai
Becky
Mar 21, 2016 Becky rated it liked it
Ilan (age 6) rated this book 5 stars :)
SiMo
Sep 21, 2015 SiMo rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: serie-in-corso
Libriccino molto molto breve, credo che l'età di lettura sia ancora più bassa di quella che mi aspettassi. Un buono spunto per parlare un po' degli indiani facendo appassionare sia maschietti che femminucce (di solito gli indiani sono "da maschi") in quanto i protagonisti sono fratello e sorella.
Cheryl P
This book is part of a series of books that introduce historical information to children in a modern fantasy science fiction way by transporting the characters back in time to a historical event in a magic tree house. In this particular book, the characters, Jack and Annie (brother and sister), are transported back in time to the great plains where they encounter Lakota Indians where they make a friend and learn a great deal about the Lakota way of life. Then they go to see the buffalo where the ...more
Morbus Iff
Dec 28, 2012 Morbus Iff rated it liked it
Shelves: younger, read-to-kids
You got a little nervous around the Spirit part, until you realized it was a good 'un, not a bad 'un.
Amanda
Jun 22, 2014 Amanda rated it it was ok
This book couldn't talk about the settlers without saying "white settlers", which I found very frustrating. My children have no concept of white people vs black people vs whatever people. I don't know how they will find out about racism, but I don't want to teach it to them so I can read a magic tree house book to them. giving a description is one thing, but after you describe the settlers, you can drop the description. Saying "the settlers" or "the US soldiers" would have sufficed. Why go out o ...more
Pam Vass
This book is part of a series and in this one, Annie and Jack must help a dog who is under a spell. They go up to their magic tree house and wish themselves to a prairie called the Great Plains where they learn about the Lakota Tribe of Native Americans. This book fits into the magical fantasy category since the kids wish themselves to different places throughout this series of books called the “Magic Tree House” with plots for each book and the same two protagonists in each book with new advent ...more
Angie
Jun 06, 2016 Angie rated it really liked it
Synopsis: "Hello, buffalo!

That's what Jack and Annie say when the Magic Tree House whisks them and Teddy, the enchanted dog, back almost 200 years to the Great Plains. There they meet a Lakota boy who shows them how to hunt buffalo. But something goes wrong! Now they need to stop a thousand buffalo from stampeding!"

My Review: I really enjoyed this adventure of Jack & Annie's. Though again I wonder where are their parents that they don't notice kids leaving the house before the sun is up. Any
Bri
Feb 17, 2015 Bri rated it liked it
This book swept me away to this other wonderful world. The setting was brilliantly set. I could totally see it in my mind. But the characters were definitely my favorite part. They are all so colorful, interesting, exciting, and hilarious. The main character is just perfect. The plot moved fast enough that I couldn't stop reading lest I miss something, but the author still took the time to flesh out the details. The details are what really make or break a story.
Camry
Oct 27, 2015 Camry rated it it was amazing
I remember I was read a book about "Magic Tree House" So catch up tell you about story book. Its talk about two sister and brother went to tree house and its had a magic,too. They were going to North or West? I not sure? They were look around to people are Indian different culture like cook, house, killing, make a things, and etc. I learn its fiction and some real story about Indian culture. I really loved it books is "Magic Tree House"
Norma Torres
Dec 04, 2015 Norma Torres rated it really liked it
I gave it four stars because it's kinda good story.
Jack and Annie visited to the Lakota, they met a native Americans named is black hawk and Indians and they showed to Annie and Jack, buffalo. Jack and Annie got chased by a buffalo and then a buffalo stop by the white buffalo women made them clam down.. A buffalo is great animal to the native american.
It was pretty cool story.
Anna
Oct 15, 2012 Anna rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
Jack and Annie are on a set of missions to help a little dog Annie has named Teddy to escape from an enchantment. This book is the 2nd of 4 missions, and in each one they must collect a gift.

In book 17, they got a watch from some children on board the Titanic. Now they are sent to the Great Plains before the buffalo herds were hunted and killed by white settlers and U. S. soldiers. They meet a young Lakota boy named Black Hawk. He takes them to his village where they observe life and meet his gr
Brianna
Mar 07, 2012 Brianna rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Young readers
I remember reading the Magic Treehouse series during Middle School, and they were always entertaining. I loved how they went all around the world, all throughout history, and you learned about different places and time periods as you followed your favorite characters through wonderful adventures. It was really cool. I recommend these books to your little adventurer. They are sure to not disappoint.
Do it! Read the book, because who knows what new world one might fall into? What interesting chara
Roxanne
My daughter liked this one. I liked it right up until Annie (the little white girl) was magically rescued by a Native American goddess who never appears to anyone in the local tribe, but up until then Osbourne didn't seem to be doing too bad a job of writing about Native culture while White.
Marc Lucke
Dec 18, 2013 Marc Lucke rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction

Osborne has largely steered clear of the history of the Americas in her series, and with good reason: the legacy of colonialism is an enormously difficult subject to approach for any age group. In the latest story arc of the series, which includes books 17-20, Osborne has finally ventured into the relatively recent American past and the results -- at least here -- are mixed.

While she describes the mass slaughter of the bison unambiguously, even making the point that it was a military maneuver de

Dawson
Feb 14, 2015 Dawson rated it it was amazing
(I'm 6 years old) I gave it 5 stars because I loved it. The other Magic Tree House books that I have read have been amazing. I thought I was going to love this book. I liked it very much, it's one of my favorites.
Simon
Oct 07, 2011 Simon rated it liked it
I generally didn't enjoy the setting of this story, because I always had found the Indians to be strange and different. I did however find that this story, above all the others really took me away and put me there. I could smell the air and see the fields of wheat and barley float and swim across the expanse of golden brown.

The sky was clear and blue, the sun was warm and cold at the same time in that dreamlike way. This book was able to make the experience real for me and I really enjoyed it.
Ethan
Oct 05, 2010 Ethan rated it it was amazing
In this book, I thought it was really fun because Jack and Annie found this tree house ( in book number one) and they've been traveling around the world helping their friend, Morgan le Fay. She travels around the world collecting books on space, history, etc. I like how Black Hawk met Jack and Annie. In part of the book, there's these buffaloes that start to chase them, but then The White Buffalo woman comes and appears out of nowhere, holds out her hand and the buffaloes stop. I really like thi ...more
Lanie
Jul 29, 2016 Lanie rated it it was ok
I'm sorry. But I spent the whole book wondering why none of the Lakota people even questioned why there were two little white kids running around the plains all by themselves.
Danielle
Jan 23, 2016 Danielle rated it really liked it
Jerome
Mar 12, 2015 Jerome rated it really liked it
A fine introduction to Lakota Indian life on the Great Plains. As usual, Jack is worried when one of the natives invites them to his village, while Annie is all excited.
luhvBOOKS
Aug 24, 2012 luhvBOOKS rated it liked it
Title: Buffalo Before Breakfast

Series: Magic Tree House #18

Rating:

Summary: Hello, buffalo! That's what Jack and Annie say when the Magic Tree House whisks them and Teddy, the enchanted dog, back almost 200 years to the Great Plains. There they meet a Lakota boy who shows them how to hunt buffalo. But something goes wrong! Now they need to stop a thousand buffalo from stampeding!

Review: Hunting buffalo and running through tall grass and rolling plains.

Things I Loved: Ted
  • Knights and Castles (Magic Tree House Research Guide, #2)
  • The Bald Bandit (A to Z Mysteries, #2)
  • Dinosaur Detectives (The Magic School Bus Chapter Book, #9)
  • Space Explorers (The Magic School Bus Chapter Book, #4)
  • Nate the Great and the Boring Beach Bag
More about Mary Pope Osborne...

Magic Tree House (1 - 10 of 55 books)
  • Dinosaurs Before Dark (Magic Tree House, #1)
  • The Knight at Dawn (Magic Tree House, #2)
  • Mummies in the Morning (Magic Tree House, #3)
  • Pirates Past Noon (Magic Tree House, #4)
  • Night of the Ninjas (Magic Tree House, #5)
  • Afternoon on the Amazon (Magic Tree House, #6)
  • Sunset of the Sabertooth (Magic Tree House, #7)
  • Midnight On The Moon (Magic Tree House, #8)
  • Dolphins at Daybreak (Magic Tree House, #9)
  • Ghost Town at Sundown (Magic Tree House, #10)