Start by marking “Dingoes at Dinnertime (Magic Tree House, #20)” as Want to Read:
Dingoes at Dinnertime (Magic Tree House, #20)

Dingoes at Dinnertime (Magic Tree House #20)

3.86  ·  Rating Details  ·  5,190 Ratings  ·  141 Reviews
Jack and Annie are ready for their next fantasy adventure in the bestselling middle-grade series the Magic Tree House!
Wildfire!
That's what Jack and Annie are up against when they are whisked away to the land of Australia. And they're not alone! Jack and Annie must help a baby kangaroo and a koala escape from a fire-filled forest. Will they be able to rescue the animals
Published June 15th 2010 by Random House for Young Readers (first published March 1st 2000)

A Perfect Time for Pandas by Mary Pope OsborneSummer of the Sea Serpent by Mary Pope OsborneLeprechaun in Late Winter by Mary Pope OsborneEve of the Emperor Penguin by Mary Pope OsborneNight of the New Magicians by Mary Pope Osborne
Magic Tree House
45th out of 56 books — 54 voters
Dinosaurs Before Dark by Mary Pope OsborneThe Mystery of the Stolen Diamonds by David A. AdlerThe Case of the Missing Monkey by Cynthia RylantThe Catnapping Mystery by David A. AdlerThe Birthday Mystery by David A. Adler
Best Series for Early Readers
12th out of 52 books — 22 voters

More lists with this book...

Charissa Sophia de la Rosa
This is also one of my favorites from the Magic Tree House series! I love the Rainbow Serpent and the cave! Ah, I can imagine in my mind how beautiful it is! And is it just me or Teddy and Annie are perfect for each other?
Simon
Oct 07, 2011 Simon rated it liked it
This book holds several memories for me, and one big memory for the entire world.

First the review: I enjoyed this book and it was a great adventure for all the characters. Meeting a Kangaroo and her Joey was a sweet plot point and it would touch ground with wild animal lovers abound.

I could imagine the scenes in my head as they played out. I would have liked for Jack and Annie to meet some people on this adventure, but it was only animals in this book.

I have noticed that some of the adventures
Maya Orama
Nov 29, 2014 Maya Orama rated it it was amazing
This store is about a girl named Annie that is 5 and this boy named jack that was 8 . It was morning Jack and Annie was in the house they both got out the house and went and went with their dog lady in the frog creek woods they found the tree house on the big oak tree they climbed the ladder and went in the tree house Morgan left a letter their so the cold figure what they needed to find it said a present from the kangaroo and look for a boy Jack and Annie both looked for the book were the kanga ...more
Anna
Oct 15, 2012 Anna rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
Jack and Annie complete the set of missions assigned to them by Morgan le Fay to help Teddy the dog. The last line of the poem says. "A gift from a kangaroo." So, of course they are off to Australia!

While there, the children meet emus, a koala, a kookaburra, and kangaroos. They rescue a baby kangaroo when a pack of dingoes arrive. In thanks, the mama kanga gives the children a piece of bark with an aborigine painting on it, that of a Rainbow Serpent of legend.

Back home, the combination of the 4
Sarah Sammis
May 06, 2010 Sarah Sammis rated it really liked it
Dingoes at Dinnertime (Magic Tree House #20) by Mary Pope Osbrone is the final book in Teddy the dog series. Their final gift is somewhere in the Australian outback.

This book is another of the Jack and Annie commune with nature plots. I get that Osborne is trying to introduce children to a wide variety of subjects through her books. Her nature heavy books just don't ring as true as most of her history based ones. She's best at recreating historical events. Her trips through time are always more
Isabel Orama
Jun 12, 2013 Isabel Orama rated it it was amazing
This book is about a brother and sister named Jack and Annie. This time they went on a adventure where kangaroos live. They both needed to get a gift from a kangaroo. So when they wished too the location they went there.

Jack and Annie went down the rope ladder and then found two animals . They had big feet, a pouch with a little baby in it too. Jack searched the animal up in the book. It was a kangaroo . When they both woke up from their nap they all heard growling. It was a dingo. When jack sea
Julesmarie
Hmm...Back to another story so highly improbable that it seems to not fit at all into this series of delightfully accurate books.

I'll admit I've never been to Australia, so perhaps I'm wrong here, but having Jack and Annie step out of the treehouse and within moments see an emu, a koala, a kookaburra, a kangaroo, and a pack of dingoes doesn't seem very likely. Unless they just happened to land in some sort of wildlife preserve... in which case the wildfire then becomes the unlikely element. Eith
Magnus
Jun 12, 2015 Magnus rated it liked it
It's the end of the mini series. I was a little disappointed and my son didn't seem to be too thrilled by it... All in all though it's a good story!
Dawn
Jun 10, 2008 Dawn rated it liked it
Shelves: chapter-books
I recently read 1 book from the "Magic Tree House" and "Magic School Bus" series to become familiar with chapter books, and also to try and discern a difference between the two series. They're about the same reading level, I'd say that the "Tree House" book has a slightly more advanced plot. There are 2 main characters as opposed to an entire classroom of characters who seem pretty much alike. Overall they were quite informative and filled with a lot of interesting facts and history tidbits. I c ...more
Mike
Feb 08, 2015 Mike rated it really liked it
Jack and Annie are at it again in the 20th installment of this series that takes two voracious readers all over the world. This time around they need to go to Australia to find a present from a kangaroo. Once they get this present they will be able to break the spell that their puppy friend Teddy is under. So off they go to the land down under and come across some amazing animals that are indigenous to Australia suck as Emus, Koalas, Kookaburras and of course Kangaroos. While they are getting to ...more
Anna
Jun 04, 2010 Anna rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-by-myself
They saw a kangaroo and there was a baby in its pouch and dingoes came. The mama hopped away and she put the baby in the brown weeds and Jack and Annie found it and they took care of it and the joey hopped into Jack's backpack because he thought it was a pouch. So Jack put it in front of him so the joey will feel like he was with his mama.
Alyssa
Jan 14, 2014 Alyssa rated it it was amazing
Have you ever wanted to help someone?
In this nonfiction book Annie and Jack are trying to help break a spell that has been cased on a dog named Teddy. I really like this book, I first read this book when I was 10 years old. **SPOILER ALERT** My favorite part is when Annie went back into the burning forest ( also known as a wildfire)to save the koala because wildfires are a danger to koalas. Koalas are slow-moving and cant escape the smoke and flames. That part really touched my heart.

Annie and
Kristi
Jul 14, 2015 Kristi rated it it was amazing
Davey: "I really liked this book because it had real animals in it, like dingoes and kangaroos. I didn't like the wild fire because some of the animals could have gotten dead."

May 10, 2015
Kathleen Konno
Dingoes at Dinnertime was a cute story mainly focusing on the animals and environment of Australia. It also touched on the topic of Aboriginal art and legends, but there was not a whole lot of information. As with most of the Magic Tree House books, I would recommend reading supplementary material to learn more. There was a decent amount of information about the animals, but some of the information about Aboriginal people was a bit outdated (such as the terms "aborigine", "Dreamtime", etc., if y ...more
Rubi
Jun 01, 2015 Rubi rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! And I love how Mrs. Osborne encourages children to do their own research. I learn a lot in these short 10 chapters, such facts as koalas don't really drink water, kangaroos may dump their babies to get away from predators faster, and even about native people named Aborigines. It was all very interesting.
This time Jack and Annie rescue a baby kangaroo and finally receive their final give to break Teddy's spell. Couldn't really guess who he'd be even up until the end :)
This boo
Shuhei
Dec 03, 2014 Shuhei rated it really liked it
1.Random house Level.?
2.12/3=100min
3.Jack Annie act with animals in Australia
4.She then zigzagged over rocks and bushes.
I didn't know "zigzag" is English. In Japanese when we describe winding thing, we usually say Zig-Zag.
5.Jack and Annie warped to Australia and they met lots of unique animals. In this story, there are some explanation about these animals, so it is very instructive. Especially, I didn't know the meaning of the name "Koala" is "No drinking." Koalas hardly drink water because leaf
Weeboon W7
May 14, 2008 Weeboon W7 rated it really liked it
the dingoes were amazing! they were so cute too, and the story is rather exciting
Courtney Canino
The main characters of this book were Jack, Annie and a dog named Teddy. This book has a lexile of 310 and is told in a third person point of view. The setting of this book took place in the wild of Australia. The plot of this book is that Jack and Annie must go on this missions to retrieve objects in order to release a dog named Teddy from a spell. They have two other objects from previous journeys, now they just need their last one from Australia, more specifically from a kangaroo. They to Aus ...more
Sam
Nov 29, 2009 Sam rated it really liked it
"A feeling of dread came over Jack.
'What if...' he said. 'What if...'
In the distance, a tree suddenly burst into flames.
'We're looking at a wildfire!' he said."
On a magical mission from the mysterious tree house near their home in Frog Creek, Pennsylvania, Jack and his sister Annie find themselves in the wilds of Australia during a drought. Things heat up pretty quickly for this adventuresome pair, as what initially appears to be a campfire turns into something a lot more frightening. Meanwhile,
Rachel
Dec 16, 2010 Rachel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
This was our first Magic Tree House book. I chose it because many of my six year old's friends love the Magic Tree House series. Even though we started with a book from the middle of the series, we didn’t have any trouble following the story. There is a short recap of the previous books in the prologue of this book.

In Dingoes at Dinnertime, Annie and Jack head to Australia in search of a gift from a kangaroo. This book is packed with educational information about Australia and Australian animals
Bri
Feb 17, 2015 Bri rated it liked it
This book swept me away to this other wonderful world. The setting was brilliantly set. I could totally see it in my mind. But the characters were definitely my favorite part. They are all so colorful, interesting, exciting, and hilarious. The main character is just perfect. The plot moved fast enough that I couldn't stop reading lest I miss something, but the author still took the time to flesh out the details. The details are what really make or break a story.
Brianna
Mar 07, 2012 Brianna rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Young readers
I remember reading the Magic Treehouse series during Middle School, and they were always entertaining. I loved how they went all around the world, all throughout history, and you learned about different places and time periods as you followed your favorite characters through wonderful adventures. It was really cool. I recommend these books to your little adventurer. They are sure to not disappoint.
Do it! Read the book, because who knows what new world one might fall into? What interesting chara
James Biser
Jul 18, 2015 James Biser rated it liked it
This was another good read with my youngest son (6years old). He has enjoyed the first 20 books of the Magic Tree House Series. Rather than continue with these, he wants to read more of the Harry Potter series. That sounds like a good plan.
Erina Komaki
Oct 14, 2012 Erina Komaki rated it really liked it
-RANDOM HOUSE,MAGIC TREE HOUSE,level 2.1
-Time:10/14=65minutes
-7-word summary:Australia-kangaroos-wildfire-rain-gift-dog-boy
-Discussion questions:
1.The main characters went to Australia in this story. Have you ever been to Australia?
-No,I haven't, but I'm going to go to Australia in spring vacation. I'm looking forward to visiting Australia.
2.In this story, a lot of animals appeared. Do you like animals?
-Yes, I like animals, such as dogs, cats, and hamsters. Watching them relaxes me, so I want p
Fredrick Danysh
Sep 29, 2014 Fredrick Danysh rated it liked it
Shelves: children-ya
This second grade chapter book is part of the Magic Tree House series. A boy and a girl magically travel to Australia where they attempt to save a baby koala and a kangaroo joey from a wildfire.
Seth
Aug 26, 2014 Seth rated it it was amazing
Shelves: by-myself
There was a fake serpent called the rainbow serpent! Morgan was not the dog the dog was Morgan's helper. Morgan's helper accidently turned himself into a dog! His name was Ted.
Diane
Jun 18, 2015 Diane rated it liked it
Just a touch boring, this one. And more than a little unbelievable that they would see virtually all the famous Australian animals within a few minutes of arriving. I liked the bit about the aborigines Dreamtime and the Rainbow Serpent, though.
Carolyn Borgen
I'm always amazed at the great information this author packs into a novel so that kids are learning new facts as well as new words. We listened to this on disk.
Alice
Apr 30, 2014 Alice rated it really liked it
Read this on a Kindle App on a plane! Always another great Magic Tree House! Funny thing is...several days later I saw real some kangaroos in a Zoo...and it was fun!!
BlackhamBoys
Apr 07, 2013 BlackhamBoys rated it really liked it
The 1st grader has gotten into the Magic Treehouse books lately. I wish he'd read them in order, but oh well. We went to the local library and this one was his choice. He read it on his own in about a day. I gave it a quick read (to quiz him and to make sure he understood words/content) ...

Some words kids might have trouble with are - drought, emu, koala, marsipial, kookaburra, Aborigine. Dangers faced in this book are dingoes and wildfire. This is the 4th book (17-20)where Jack and Annie must r
  • Pirates (Magic Tree House Research Guide, #4)
  • The Runaway Racehorse (A to Z Mysteries, #18)
  • Dinosaur Detectives (The Magic School Bus Chapter Book, #9)
More about Mary Pope Osborne...

Magic Tree House (1 - 10 of 54 books)
  • Dinosaurs Before Dark (Magic Tree House, #1)
  • The Knight at Dawn (Magic Tree House, #2)
  • Mummies in the Morning (Magic Tree House, #3)
  • Pirates Past Noon (Magic Tree House, #4)
  • Night of the Ninjas (Magic Tree House, #5)
  • Afternoon on the Amazon (Magic Tree House, #6)
  • Sunset of the Sabertooth (Magic Tree House, #7)
  • Midnight On The Moon (Magic Tree House, #8)
  • Dolphins at Daybreak (Magic Tree House, #9)
  • Ghost Town at Sundown (Magic Tree House, #10)

“There,” Annie said. “You look just like a mother kangaroo.” 1 likes