Start by marking “Fanshawe” as Want to Read:
Fanshawe

Fanshawe

2.93 of 5 stars 2.93  ·  rating details  ·  91 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Hawthorne's first "romance", first published three years after he graduated from Bowdoin College.
Published October 12th 2007 by Book Jungle (first published 1828)

To ask other readers questions about Fanshawe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fanshawe

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingTo Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienJane Eyre by Charlotte BrontëThe Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
Great Debut Novels
367th out of 909 books — 1,343 voters
Twenty Days with Julian and Little Bunny by Papa by Nathaniel HawthorneThe Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel HawthorneFanshawe by Nathaniel HawthorneThe House of the Seven Gables by Nathaniel HawthorneThe Scarlet Letter & the House of the Seven Gables by Nathaniel Hawthorne
Best of Nathaniel Hawthorne
3rd out of 28 books — 2 voters

More lists with this book...

Lisa (Harmonybites)
Aug 31, 2013 Lisa (Harmonybites) rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Hawthorne Fans
I can't imagine anyone today reading this were it not this was by Nathaniel Hawthorne, who'd later write such classics as The Scarlet Letter and The House of Seven Gables. Note, that came later. When he wrote this he was barely out of college, he published it anonymously, then later would try to destroy every copy in existence. I'm not sorry he didn't succeed. I can imagine this, his first novel, is a goldmine for scholars of American literature.

And it's not really burn-worthy. I can see glimme
Andres
I don’t know why I’m keeping on with this attempt to read all of an author’s books in a row (in the order they were written) since I’ve failed with everyone except the first (sorry Austen, Forster) and now I can add Hawthorne to the list. I seem to bomb out after reading the first two books of any author, but then again I’ve chosen some heavy hitters...

Anyway, Fanshawe was kind of a surprise. I know that Hawthorne tried desperately to disown the book and have all copies in existence destroyed, b
Shaun
I read this as part of a Library of America collection, Hawthorne: Collected Novels. In the chronology provided at the end, this is how Hawthorne's debut novel is described:

1828 - Fanshawe published in Boston at his own expense ($100 according to his sister Elizabeth, but in view of the contemporary publishing costs more likely $200. Ashamed of this first effort (which does not bear his name on its title page), he forbids his friends to mention his authorship and refuses to discuss the book in
Metaphorosis

reviews.metaphorosis.com

2 stars

The beautiful Ellen Langton comes to live with her father's old friend at Harley College. She attracts two admirers, but is then caught up in an intrigue from which they strive to rescue her.

Hawthorne was apparently ashamed of this debut effort, and it's certainly not his best work. It is a readable short novel, but in no way outstanding. It's an attempt at a mysterious romance, but it gives the impression that Hawthorne simply threw together many stock elements wi
JD Brazil
Jun 15, 2008 JD Brazil rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: old rich white people
Hawthorne must really think himself a fancy-dan, hoity toity cock sucker. You know why people like him? They like him because they can read all that stuffy bull shit and feel smarter for it. Someone might say to a Hawthorne fan, "How did you like the latest Grisham or Koontz novel?" and the Hawthorne fan would say all smug, "Oh please, they don't hold a candle to all of the archaic symbolism that Hawthorne writes with." They like Hawthorne because he uses big words, but they are able to figure t ...more
Nutty Mars
Wooden language. This must have been the start of Hollywood. Still, it was an interesting reading experience.
Lukas Evan
Hawthorne's first novel. He got better.
Jake
I know a lot of people didn't like this book, and I will admit it is not nearly as good as his later novels, but I enjoyed this. The writing style drew me in. The characters kept me in. And the plot was, well workable, but interesting enough. What I really enjoyed was his incredible ability to use description. I was there in the cabin, the woods. I went along on the horse ride. While the end seemed quick, all in all I think this was a good first work, even if he didn't.
Amber
This was Hawthorne's first novel, published I think when he was in college. He published it anonymously, and later in life tried to suppress it. I just wish that my first novel could be this good! I noticed that his character development isn't as intense as in his other novels I've read, but I feel like the plot/story line was more climatic...even if it did conclude in a sudden rush. I liked it.
Jamie
I liked this story despite the fact that it is not a maturely written piece and has poor organization. Hawthorne has a lovely way with words and detail. I thought the ending was rather abrupt and the story missed some helpful details, but overall, it was an intriguing plot. Had this story been written later in Hawthorne's career I think it would have been much better.
Jermajesty
Interesting to read as Nathaniel Hawthorne's first book, and the very first "college novel."

Too good to be dismissed as mere "juvenilia," but so all over the place that it seems like the work of someone suffering ADD-like symptoms.

Worth reading, but for the most part only as an important literary footnote.
Faith Bradham
Oh Hawthorne. This was not a very good first effort, but then I suppose everyone has to start somewhere! He forgot to let his characters have any sort of personality or growth, and he beat the idea of the marriage plot to death.
K.M. Weiland
This is a completely forgettable romp, but it’s much better than other early novels of classic authors—and it’s much more readable and enjoyable than Hawthorne’s House of the Seven Gables.
Sherman
Hawthorne's first novel, he distanced himself from it for the rest of his life. It was a nice introduction to his style and an interesting peek into the cultural norms of the day.
Julie
Jun 19, 2012 Julie rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
To be honest, I thought it was a bit weird. I wasn't a huge fan of the story, or the ending, but I gave it three stars because I loved the language and the descriptions.
Jonathan
Boilerplate melodrama. One should bear in mind that Hawthorne wasn't the only great writer to publish something regrettable on the first try.
Juliana
Hawthorne's first novel-meh, he still had a lot to learn.
Dee Crabtree
I love the timeless themes of this book.
D.J. Butler
Youthful work. It shows.
Katie Warren
Katie Warren marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2015
Hailey Smith
Hailey Smith marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2015
Chrissy Nickel
Chrissy Nickel marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2015
Elizabeth Misitano
Elizabeth Misitano marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2015
Franco
Franco marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The Hero
  • The Altar of the Dead
  • Poor White
  • Bouvard and Pecuchet / The Dictionary of Accepted Ideas
  • The Crystal Stopper (Arsène Lupin, #7)
  • In the Days of the Comet
  • The Lady of the Shroud
  • David Balfour: Being Memoirs of the Further Adventures of David Balfour at Home and Abroad (David Balfour, #2)
  • Children of the Frost
  • The Three Books
  • Lord, Teach Me To Study The Bible In 28 Days
  • Bicycle Shop Murder (Greg Tenorly Suspense Series, #1)
  • The New Media Monopoly: A Completely Revised and Updated Edition With Seven New Chapters
  • Beyond the City
  • The Ark
  • Modeste Mignon
  • From the Earth to the Moon and 'Round the Moon
  • The Night the New Jesus Fell to Earth and Other Stories from Cliffside, North Carolina
Nathaniel Hawthorne was a 19th century American novelist and short story writer. He is seen as a key figure in the development of American literature for his tales of the nation's colonial history.

Shortly after graduating from Bowdoin College, Hathorne changed his name to Hawthorne. Hawthorne anonymously published his first work, a novel titled Fanshawe, in 1828. In 1837, he published Twice-Told T
More about Nathaniel Hawthorne...
The Scarlet Letter The House of the Seven Gables Young Goodman Brown and Other Short Stories Young Goodman Brown The Minister's Black Veil

“These feelings, together with the deep degradation of his mind, made him resolve that no circumstances should again draw him into an axcess of wine.” 0 likes