Start by marking “Temple of the Winds (Sword of Truth, #4)” as Want to Read:
Blank-133x176
Temple of the Winds

Terry Goodkind

Temple of the Winds (Sword of Truth #4)

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  45,449 ratings  ·  650 reviews
Después de rescatar a Kahlan Amnell, la Madre Confesora de la Tierra Central y la mujer a la que ama, Richard abandona el bosque para adentrarse en un mundo más vasto y peligroso. Es la última esperanza contra las fuerzas de Rahl el Oscuro, un tirano que sirve al Custodio: el Señor del inframundo y la personificación del mal.

Richard logra evitar que el Custodio invada el m
Published (first published January 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Temple of the Winds, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Temple of the Winds

Amber
Terry Goodkind is a superb author, and in my opinion, his "Sword of Truth" series is the best I have ever read. So good, in fact, that I have read the entire series three times in a row, back to back, non-stop. This series is *not* for children. The series covers many aspects of the dark side of humanity, in great detail, as the heroes try to overcome the evils in the world. Goodkind is not afraid to show his readers just what evil *really* is, that is, most often, people who perform acts of evi ...more
Lauren
A while ago, I was surfing for books on my Kindle, and decided I wanted a Fantasy novel. Remembering a series that my friends were going batshit for when I was living in Florida, I downloaded Wizard’s First Rule by Terry Goodkind. Now, since I have what I could consider mild OCD when it comes to finishing series, I have plowed through the books and am on the… 4th? book, Temple of the Winds. That leaves me with 7 to go in the series.

I’m in it for the long haul people. So here are my thoughts.

Whi
Keely
It is always curious to see fantasy authors who don't consider themselves to be fantasy authors. Case-in-point: Terry Goodkind. The former landscape painter has told us how he isn't a fantasy author in every interview he's ever given:

"The books I write are first of all novels, not fantasy, and that is deliberate; I'm really writing books about human beings."(1)

"To define me as a fantasy writer is to misunderstand the context of my books by misidentifying their fundamentals."(2)

"The stories I'm t
Substance
currently reading this, and compared to book 3, this one is rubbish.

i do not like kahlan how she keeps crying
richards character is quite boring and two faced, he is trying to be mr perfect...his acceptance as the ruler was just to sudden, i felt there was no good flow between woods guide and ruler.

the story line is concentrated in that damn confessors castle
there is to much about fighting some plague and not enough action trying to find a solution.
very slow story line, and every time the romance
This is the one that made me stop reading the series. In fact, I set the book down without even finishing it. Goodkind just keeps rehashing the same old stuff over and over and it's not fresh any more. He's also downright fixated on sex and I just felt too disgusted to continue. I don't have a problem with reading about sex (I read the Kushiel series by Jacqueline Carey, for crying out loud!) - it's not the sex, it's the intent that creeped me out. I haven't picked up another Goodkind book since ...more
Stephen
2.5 stars. Big drop off from the first three books but still a decent, if underwhelming, novel. The scope of the threat posed by the Imperial Order continues to increase.
Ben Babcock
Aug 07, 2008 Ben Babcock rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ben by: Stephanie Chow
The only part of this book that truly aggravated me was the end. Once again (and I can say this without spoiling it, because I won't reveal any details), Richard manages to avoid the consequences of the tragedy introduced during the rising action. Maybe I'm just sick. Maybe it's wrong of me to want characters to suffer. But this guy's luck is incredible.

The redeeming aspect of the end is that there are sort of consequences (the chimes), but they won't make an appearance until the next book. I gu
Jostalady
Um, Terry, I think it is time we went our separate ways. You have your good qualities as a writer, but I spent this entire book cringing, keeping down my food, wanting to fight and murder your vile characters, even wanting to kill you for putting me through this. I suffered the horrible psychological pain as Kahlen, Richard, Warren, those children, their mothers, as Berdine, as Cara...you are one sick man.

I went through all the torment of the dis-chord, and kept going hoping that at any moment y
Nick
This book was the nail in the coffin for my interest in reading this series. While the first offering was an alright read, the events that occured in the following books got more ludicrous. Add in a cheesy romance story that's so over-the-top and this rubbish became almost unbearable to finish. I don't know how so many people can recommend this series. I feel that it is utter garbage. If I could give less than one star (read: zero) I would.
Blake
Yes, folks, this book is very hard to read. But there is redemption...

Any part with Zedd is pretty good. But he's a pretty decent character, so that is to be expected.

Kahlan cries some more. No surprise here.

Lots of people start dying. And there is a bit of sex. Oh la la.

Trudge through it. The other books are better.
Benjamin
Once again, a story line that would be inconsequentual if the main characters would only talk to one another instead of rushing of headlong into danger (to cause more problems). I stopped reading the series after this book.
Eric
The characters in this installment get even dumber, I know, you are asking yourself "how is that possible?" But they do. I cannot believe that there are these great stories that could be told in this rich and varied world, that just aren't happening.

Also, why is Terry so obsessed with violent sexual acts? Everything in this world hinges around sex and rape as a stand-in for sex.

The only character with half-a-brain is Zedd, and i suspect that is only because we only see Zedd for like seven chap
Justin
Ok, I give up this series is terrible. I don't know why i was punishing myself getting this far into the series, I guess it was because I was too lazy to try to find another fantasy series to read (which I have been in the mood for)
I only got about 40 pages into this one, and found myself skipping over half the words. His writing style seemed to have degraded to the level of a fifth grade essay; first this happened, then that happened because this other thing happened...Jesus, it was like having
Randy
Temple of the Winds is a place you wish you were, because that way, you'd be far, far away, in a fantasy world, and not reading this worthless abortion.

Note to Goodkind haters: Before you call Terry a misogynistic piece of shit for turning Kahlan into a hypocritical whore, read Laurell K. Hamilton's Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter series. Female authors treat their female characters no better. Besides, there are a million better reasons to call Terry Goodkind a misogynistic piece of shit.
Emma
Aug 07, 2010 Emma rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: someone I really, really hated.
If you like terrible writing, redundant plotlines, inane characters, lots of rape and violence then Terry Goodkind is your man. Otherwise, try Robert Jordan, George R.R. Martin or Matthew Stover.
Danny
This book is so bad I couldn't finish reading it. The only reason I made it all the way through on my second attempt is because a friend told me the series gets better, and that the middle few books are rough. Goodkind needed to get laid because he takes out his sexual frustration with his characters.
Scotty
For some reason the author just dragged out many of the areas of this book that just didn't need it. It was driving me crazy. If you have read this far into the series then you know how Richard and Kahlan feel for each other. For it to be expounded upon over and over during certain areas of this book was just too much. But, even in the Sword of Truth books as a whole, Terry Goodkind does a great job of having exciting conclusions to, and this book was no exception. The subplots also really sucke ...more
Adi (Reading in the Windowseat)
A stunningly thrilling, action packed new chapter in the story of Richard Rhal and Kahlan Amnel.

Even though this is the fourth book of the Sword of Truth series, it lived up to my expectations, being as good as its three predecessors. As always, Terry Goodking paints with words on paper an experience full of the sharpest emotions and feeling, describing them so well that you cannot help but be submerged into the world of the Seeker.

And yet, this story is as diffetent from the three previous book
Nath
The Temple of the Winds was the best installment of the Sword of Truth series, so far.
I was enthralled from the very beginning and felt compassionate with the main characters, immediately and unconditionally.
I bled with Cara, I cried with Kahlan and I felt desperate with Richard.

Every novel of this series I've read so far, came with a lesson. A so-called Law of Magic, but in it's essence is a lesson in morality. THis novel delves deeper in the finer workings of forgiveness and what a powerful
Ricardo Portillo
My OCD is forcing me to wade through this series. I've resorted to Audiobooks now, the equivalent of putting a Dunce cap on this pile of crap. It's not that Goodkind is a terrible writer, I venture to say he is competent enough and even has his moments now and then. But the distastefulness of the author himself permeates his writing and it's making this a huge ordeal for me. If I hadn't read Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series I would have perhaps not even noticed that he was unequivocally plag ...more
Tracey
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahh!
I can't remember ever reading a book as dark/twisted/perverse as this. So THOROUGHLY MESSED UP. And I love it.

I cannot believe the shit Goodkind puts his characters through.
Not even TV!Kahlan/Richard will be the same to me after this.
Branwen *Blaidd Drwg*
I love this series, it's fantastic, and this book kept me on the edge of my seat. With so many bad things that happen, all you can do is read on and continue to hope that everything turns out all right in the end. Very intense.
Diothaen
I started reading this series of books by Terry Goodkind at the recommendation of a friend. As some of you may know, I am not an avid reader, so the thought of me completing a series of 11 books each well over 500 pages is a daunting task for me. That being said, I have finished the 4th book in this series, Temple of the Winds.

Once again we follow the adventures of Richard and Kahlan, as they fight the forces of the Keeper. This book follows the pattern that has been established in previous book
Brian
Book 4:

dumb again. Very slow and not much excitement - nothing happens and what does is stupid. Kahlan and chars do very dumb things - blame thrown around for stupid reasons. Exciting finsh with nice pat happy ending. Only the last 100 pages were any good really- and even those not that great.

Series: 5/10

The Sword of Truth series usually gets mentioned in the same breath as George R. R. Martin and Robert Jordan. Since I like those two authors, I decided to try this series, hoping it would be as
Kaylin
The first book in this series, Wizard's First Rule, I liked a lot. The second and third books weren't as good, but I still liked them. The best praise I can think of for this book was that it was okay.

There were parts of this book that I liked. Zedd and Ann, when we got to read about them, were great. Nathan was interesting to hear about, also.

Unfortunately, there were also parts of this book that I really didn't like. Kahlan's whole character was off in this book. In the books leading up to t

Meagan
This is the fourth book in the Sword of Truth series, and it had the double whammy challenge of being the fourth very long book in a very long series, and of being the book I was reading just before my comprehensive exams for grad school. These challenges made me move through this book a little more slowly than the previous three, and the beginning was a bit more slow moving than I would have liked, so it took me a bit longer to read than I expected. Nevertheless, The last 200 pages or so absolu ...more
Somekindofnobody
With all the other reviews saying basically what I wanted to say, I'll just tell you why you want to read this.

First of all, this is the first book I read that made me physically twisted inside. In order for Richard Rahl to enter the temple, something must happen. When that thing DOES happen it left me so physically upset that I cried in real life. This novel pulled me so far in with the style of writing that it NEVER let me go. I was drowning in this fake world.

Of all the authors I have ever re
Jaye
Dustin
It's good. Great? No, I don't think so. Maybe it was the incessant recaps. Maybe it was the long windedness during sensitive moments. Maybe it's him creating things at the last moment to fill a hole in the plot. Example: Richard needed to know the next step in the story. Luckily, there is a random tribe that literally holds nothing higher than to deliver other people's messages... and they came to visit him with the next step. Come on Terry. A whole world of endless magic and this is what you de ...more
AndrewP
Sep 16, 2011 AndrewP rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Epic Fantasy Lovers
Shelves: fantasy, audio-books
I liked this one quite a bit more than the previous volume, the story seemed to flow better and no matter how bad things got, everything worked out in the end. (Having read the back of the new book in the series, I know it doesn't stay like that.)
There were a couple of holes in the story that bothered me, such as how did people with no magic get into the Wizards Keep near the end, but overall I really enjoyed the tale. The villains in these books seem to get nastier with each book and I keep
  • Destiny: Child of the Sky (Symphony of Ages, #3)
  • Enchanter (Wayfarer Redemption, #2)
  • Elven Star (The Death Gate Cycle, #2)
  • The World of Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time
  • The Lair of Bones (Runelords, #4)
  • Flight of the Nighthawks (The Darkwar Saga, #1)
  • The Tangle Box (Magic Kingdom of Landover, #4)
  • Fall of Angels (The Saga of Recluce #6)
Terry Goodkind is a contemporary American writer and author of the best-selling epic fantasy series, The Sword of Truth, creator of the television show The Legend of the Seeker, and writer of the self-published epic, The First Confessor: The Legend of Magda Searus (a prequel and origin story of the first Mother Confessor). He has over 20 million copies in print and has been translated into more th ...more
More about Terry Goodkind...
Wizard's First Rule (Sword of Truth, #1) Stone of Tears (Sword of Truth, #2) Blood of the Fold (Sword of Truth, #3) Faith of the Fallen (Sword of Truth, #6) Soul of the Fire (Sword of Truth, #5)

“Wizard's Fourth Rule
There is magic in sincere forgiveness; in the forgiveness you give, but more so in the forgiveness you receive.”
56 likes
“Intent is guilt. Failure to successfully carry out the intent does not absolve the guilt.” 29 likes