The Floatplane Notebooks

The Floatplane Notebooks

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  699 ratings  ·  32 reviews
The Copeland family of Listre, North Carolina, goes back a long way. Each family member has a story to tell, and stories to be told about one another. Albert Copeland, the head of the family, writes it all down in the notebooks he started once to track the progress of the floatplanes he built, though they never did fly. Everything about the Copelands is in these books. And...more
Published September 21st 2004 by Ballantine Books (first published September 9th 1988)

To ask other readers questions about The Floatplane Notebooks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Floatplane Notebooks

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeGone with the Wind by Margaret MitchellThe Help by Kathryn StockettThe Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark TwainFried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie Flagg
Best Southern Literature
217th out of 746 books — 1,812 voters
Jane Eyre by Charlotte BrontëA Room of One's Own by Virginia WoolfThe Silver Chair by C.S. LewisThe Leopard by Giuseppe di LampedusaExistentialism Is a Humanism by Jean-Paul Sartre
Chairs on Covers
31st out of 143 books — 34 voters

More lists with this book...

Jean
Sep 08, 2007 Jean rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes Southern fiction and humor
Come on, Clyde Edgerton is great. He writes funny, tender stories and has made writing little old ladies an art form. He's easy on the eyes and has a bluegrass band, for pete's sake. This book breaks rules about how many points of views are okay in writing, and I love that. Even a wisteria vine has a point of view. This book made its stage debut with the Charlotte Repertory Theatre, and Clyde had a reception before the opening. He played the banjo and talked to us like we were sitting in his liv...more
Melissa
As a collection of individual stories and personal recollections, it was interesting, but there was no real story - nothing apart from the characters' relationships with each other to bind them all together. Mr. Edgerton does a great job juggling several different first-person points of view. Each character has their own distinct voice, even the wisteria vine. I think I would have enjoyed it more if there had been more reports of what the vine "overheard." I was also surprised that the floatplan...more
Karen
My very favorite Edgerton book. Details of flying, life, family and more. Love this book.
Sue Lipton
Did I miss something? Was this the wrong intro to Edgerton?
Susan Fetterer
I really enjoy Clyde Edgerton's writing style, his storylines, and most of all, his interesting characters. They're unique and live lives worthy of dissection and discussion. Every family (hopefully) has at least one storyteller who chronicles those who came before and puts the pieces of the family puzzle together and creates a sense of completeness. Family sagas help us understand ourselves a little bit better and brings long gone progenitors again to life. Love this stuff!
Rebecca Guest-Scott
May 17, 2008 Rebecca Guest-Scott rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone--even surly teen who hate to read
Recommended to Rebecca by: Bryant Mangum
This book tells the story of several generations in a revolving narrative that gives each character his or her own say, however briefly. Like an intricate quilt composed of squares from different quilters, the story is gradually pieced together by the voices of vivid, deeply-human characters. This is one of my top three favorite books of all time.
Elizabeth Sulzby
I've listened to this as an audiobook at least 5 times, once with my husband John Kitchens for his first time. It has ROFL parts and some of the most sad, moving parts I've ever read. this isn't really a spoiler for the best ROFL part: Watch out/listen out for Papa saying: "Thantion it, damn it, thantion it!"
Anna
I liked this book. I thought it did a good job of capturing Eastern North Carolina dialogue patterns; I also thought it managed to span various time periods well and still be believable. However, if you're averse to parts of a story being told by a wisteria vine, maybe this isn't the book for you.
Shan
Edgerton writes the most amusing books. This one was no exception. The events of daily life are told by each character which confirms that we are all unique and our interpretations of life are also unique. I love Edgerton's style and proclaim this book as one of his best.
Susannah
This story was probably not supposed to make me cry, but it did. Rich language interwoven with humor, The Floatplane Notebooks ebbs and flows with the human foibles of a southern family, and it's as real and poignant as the best of its genre. Recommended.
esterb
I haven’t been dis­ap­pointed by Edger­ton yet and also this book is a must read for any­body who loves an intrigu­ing fam­ily story with love­able and fas­ci­nat­ing char­ac­ters.
Bayneeta
Mar 20, 2009 Bayneeta rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Bayneeta by: Claudia
Shelves: fiction
Told from multiple points of view--including, I think, the family dog and the wisteria. Not my favorite Edgerton, but good. Claudia chose it for our staff book discussion.
Anne
Laugh out loud funny in places, but overall serious throughout. Family saga set in the Carolinas. Wonderful accents. Crazy relatives. Told from different perspectives.
Mark Powell
I had the pleasure of working with Clyde at St. Andrews College years ago. This one is my favorite. He captures the voices of people from my childhood!
Cheryl
I just loved this story. I loved it so much that the year I read it I gave it to just about everyone I knew as a Christmas present.
Erika
Not endearing, unlikable main characters, too many dead children. And not humorous enough to make up for all of the above.
Deanndra Hall
Didn't like this one quite as much as most of his, but I still liked it. I don't think he's ever written anything I didn't like!
Kim Miller
This is a really fast read. The story is told from the children's and the wisteria vine's perspective. Very creative.
Carol
This one is a little different. Not really funny at all. I liked it but prefer his books that contain more humor.
Alvin
Not his best, but still very fund and some very funny vignettes. Humans taking on very strange projects.
Hunter Daughtrey
This was my second favorite of his early works. It was a bit darker in its humor, which worked for me.
Patti
I enjoyed this . Quick read about Southern life and family ties in the mid 20th century.
Jenallen74
Another great book by Clyde Edgerton. I can't get enough of his stories.
Lisa Peterson
May have been my favorite. Hard to say because I love all of his work
Kendra
Easily my all time favorite book. Could be my family story.
Carmen
Jul 18, 2008 Carmen rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Cheri, Jennifer, Ella, Jackie
Recommended to Carmen by: Ruth White
One of my favorites, have read three times.
Bob Scruggs
One of the best books I have ever read. Ever!
Teri Frazier
Enjoyed but felt disappointed by the ending.
Cindy DeMoville
LOVED THIS BOOK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Karen  Mach
I loved the chapters about The Vine.
  • Me and My Baby View the Eclipse
  • I Am One of You Forever
  • Rich in Love
  • If I Ever Get Back to Georgia, I'm Gonna Nail My Feet to the Ground
  • Poinciana
  • Tending to Virginia
  • Signs in the Blood (An Elizabeth Goodweather Appalachian Mystery #1)
  • A Cure for Dreams
  • Kate Vaiden
  • A Place Called Wiregrass
  • The Coal Tattoo
  • 27 Wagons Full of Cotton and Other Plays
  • A False Sense of Well Being
Clyde Edgerton is widely considered one of the premier novelists working in the Southern tradition today, often compared with such masters as Eudora Welty and Flannery O'Connor.

Although most of his books deal with adult concerns--marriage, aging, birth and death--Edgerton's work is most profoundly about family. In books such as Raney, Walking Across Egypt, The Floatplane Notebooks, and Killer Dill...more
More about Clyde Edgerton...
Walking Across Egypt Raney The Bible Salesman Lunch at the Piccadilly Killer Diller