Start by marking “Kayaking Alone: Nine Hundred Miles from Idaho's Mountains to the Pacific Ocean” as Want to Read:
Kayaking Alone: Nine Hundred Miles from Idaho's Mountains to the Pacific Ocean

Kayaking Alone: Nine Hundred Miles from Idaho's Mountains to the Pacific Ocean

3.4 of 5 stars 3.40  ·  rating details  ·  15 ratings  ·  5 reviews
The Columbia and its tributaries are rivers of conflict. Amid pitched battles over the economy, the environment, and breaching dams on the lower Snake River, the salmon that have always quickened these rivers are disappearing. On a warm day in late May, Mike Barenti entered the heart of this conflict when he slid a whitewater kayak into the headwaters of central Idaho’s Sa ...more
Published March 1st 2008 by University of Nebraska Press (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Kayaking Alone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kayaking Alone

Forrest
Great book!! I really enjoyed it. I found myself trying to study it in places - rather than just reading for entertainment. There is lots of good salmon information / facts in it.

Barenti has influenced me some. Before reading the book, if asked my opinion on dam breaching – I would have indubitably answered - no breaching under any circumstances. Now, Barenti, has given me reason to pause and consider the trade-offs. He makes a good point, which I had not considered about the significant salmon
Jason
I was only able to read about 1/2 of this book before it was due back to the library, but I enjoyed what I read. As a new kayaker in his 2nd season, I enjoyed reading about Mike's approach to the sport and was especially intrigued by the fact that he DID take this trip alone. That alone would freak me out! I also appreciated the environmental questions that Barenti asks in this travelogue as he seeks insight in to what happened to America's rivers and the bountiful ecosystems they once nurtured.
Pond
Even though it wasn't a life-changing book, I couldn't bring myself to leave ole Mikey stranded there on the Snake River. Since I've never done expedition kayaking, his notes helped me wrap my mind around some of the challenges and concerns with such an undertaking. I do wish the ending had been a bit more impactful, but the point that there are no easy answers to the fate of the salmon was made nonetheless. Barenti is a journalist, not a poet.
Michael
I bought this book thru Amazon and lucked out that it was an author signed first edition! Covers more of the salmon's demise and reintroduction into the rivers of the northwest than kayaking. I'm only half-way thru it though. I'm new to kayaking and bought this book for some learning and I also like adventure/travel books.
joelene
It was good. However I think the title should be different.
Connie Curtis
Connie Curtis marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2015
Rick
Rick marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2015
Maren
Maren marked it as to-read
May 21, 2015
Nate Mundy
Nate Mundy marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2014
Ginger Leib
Ginger Leib marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2014
Jill
Jill marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2014
Lisa Reitz
Lisa Reitz marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2014
Matthew
Matthew marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2014
Bill Malyszka
Bill Malyszka marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2014
Hannah Brooks
Hannah Brooks marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2014
Jessi Marie
Jessi Marie marked it as to-read
Amanda
Amanda added it
Phil
Phil marked it as to-read
Kathy
Kathy marked it as to-read
Kris
Kris marked it as to-read
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Jen
Jen marked it as to-read
Janette
Janette marked it as to-read
Charly
Charly marked it as to-read
Brooke Carlson
Brooke Carlson marked it as to-read
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2014
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Jen
Jen marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
Joyce
Joyce marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2014
Kayaking Alone: Nine Hundred Miles from Idaho's Mountains to the Pacific Ocean. Outdoor Lives.