Start by marking “The Wind from Nowhere” as Want to Read:
The Wind from Nowhere

The Wind from Nowhere

3.39  ·  Rating Details  ·  522 Ratings  ·  45 Reviews
The wind came from nowhere … a super-hurricane that blasted round the globe at hundreds of miles per hour burying whole communities beneath piles of rubble, destroying all organized life and driving those it did not kill to seek safety in tunnels and sewers – where they turned against each other in their desperate struggle to survive.
Published December 9th 1976 by Penguin Books (first published January 1962)

To ask other readers questions about The Wind from Nowhere, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wind from Nowhere

The Crystal World by J.G. BallardCrash by J.G. BallardHigh-Rise by J.G. BallardThe Kindness of Women by J.G. BallardThe Drowned World by J.G. Ballard
Best of J.G. Ballard
16th out of 18 books — 10 voters
The Stand by Stephen KingThe Road by Cormac McCarthy1984 by George OrwellWorld War Z by Max BrooksThe Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood
Apocalypse: It's Over, Dude.
345th out of 390 books — 715 voters

More lists with this book...

Simon
Mar 15, 2011 Simon rated it liked it
Shelves: sf
Ballards first novel is another apocalyptic story, this time about...well..a wind that came out of nowhere.

The premise is that the air around the world started moving as one in a westerly direction, slowly and getting faster and faster each day. At first mankind is merely inconvenienced by things like cancelled flights but gradually they are forced to batton down the hatches more and more as the wind picks up.

No one really knows what started this weather system or when it will stop. It seemed
Eric
Jul 27, 2009 Eric rated it liked it
Ballard has disowned this novel, and while I can understand his feelings, he's being too hard on a flawed work with many redeeming qualities. The high concept--that worldwide winds of gradually increasing velocity destroy civilization--is entertaining. The characters are clearly drawn and are somewhat less cliched than is typical in this genre. Finally, the portrayal of government priorities in the face of disaster remains relevant because of Hurricane Katrina and similar incidents.

One caveat, t
tENTATIVELY, cONVENIENCE
Jan 20, 2008 tENTATIVELY, cONVENIENCE rated it really liked it
Shelves: sf
Ballard tends to write several bks on variations of the same theme. This is the 1st(?) of his mono-ecological-disaster novels - by wch I mean that one ecological phenomenon reaches disastrous proportions & only a small part of the human (& animal & plant-life, etc) population survives. In this case, a wind whips around the earth faster & faster - gradually flattening all but the sturdiest objects. Ballard has usually managed to stay at the forefront of science fiction that addres ...more
Jessica
Una novela entretenida en la que se va narrando como las corrientes de viento van aumentando poco a poco hasta ir destruyendo todo lo que se encuentra a su paso y lo que hace la gente para sobrevivir.

Lo curioso de esta novela en comparación a otras que he leído de Ballard es que cuenta con 3 protagonistas o al menos 3 arcos que se unen hacia el final de la historia. El final fue posiblemente lo que menos me gusto, mas que nada porque fue muy "conveniente" todo lo que sucedió.

En general una nove
Oneiros
Aug 27, 2014 Oneiros rated it liked it
My copy of the Wind from Nowhere, a sharp Penguin paperback from '76, has been sitting on my bookshelf for a number of years now. I recently had the pleasure of reading Ballard's superb High Rise and decided to chase that with the writer's first novel.

I was not expecting a mature work, and coming into it with very realistic expectations, was wonderfully surprised. The plotting is workmanlike and a tad rote, but it's serviceable. In fact, I found some of the plot twists rousing and was turning th
Kate Sherrod
Dec 05, 2012 Kate Sherrod rated it liked it
Were I a little better at anthropomorphizing, if I could bring myself to impart sentience and a unified will to planet Earth and its ecosphere without giggling, I would say that sometime in the mid to late 20th century, Gaia decided that, once and for all, She needed to get rid of this bad case of humans she's got and started working on a plan. And that furthermore she convinced J.G. Ballard to allow her to use his fiction as the laboratory in which various schemes were tested out. Ballard would ...more
Tommy Carlson
Dec 31, 2013 Tommy Carlson rated it it was ok
Finally got around to snagging a copy of Ballard's first novel. Apparently, he himself disowned it. Indeed, it isn't a very good book. That said, I think it's worth reading for fans of Ballard. It's interesting as a proto-Ballard work. I've mentioned before that I think Ballard wrote the same book, over and over. There's always a male lead that's actually Ballard. Society gets shaken up in some fashion and people form new ways of being, well, a society.

This book shows glimpses of this. There's a
Katerina
Jul 04, 2013 Katerina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: recensioni
Di che parla Vento dal Nulla? Beh, esattamente quello che dice il titolo: un bel giorno inizia a soffiare il vento e non ci sarebbe nulla di strano se: a_ non soffiasse più o meno uniformemente su tutta la terra; b_ non smettesse mai; c_ la sua forza non continuasse ad aumentare.

Scritto nel 1961, questo è un libro che vede la fantascienza nell'ottica del disastro naturale: non ci sono alieni, non c'è tecnologia e non c'è società futuristica.
Noi vediamo la crisi che sconvolge il pianeta quando un
Nelson Minar
Apr 10, 2014 Nelson Minar rated it liked it
This was bound together with The Drowned World. I liked it much better. The apocalypse this time is a wind that inexplicably gets faster and faster, ripping cities apart and reducing all of our civilization to rubble in a month. I think Ballard does a good job here creating the feeling of living in a world that is being destroyed out from under you: lots of desolation. He even kills major characters! Not much to the book but mood and action, which given the pretention of The Drowned World was so ...more
Steve Ford
Apr 09, 2016 Steve Ford rated it really liked it
Yep, pretty much as others say. While it isn't a great Ballard book and isn't very well written (The Drowned World claims that title, and as Ballard's first that he acknowledges, it's still a masterwork), it's still quite a startling declaration of intent from his early natural apocalypse era, on the theme of the unstoppable natural phenomenon that sweeps humanity before it.

A lot of Ballardian imagery is already on show: the remoteness of the CCTV and video screen representation of what's happen
Helen Stocks-morgan
Oct 10, 2014 Helen Stocks-morgan rated it really liked it
Thai is the first J G Ballard work I have read , not realising this was his first. I thought it a very good story, well paced. however was very disappointed with the ending, he had gone too far down the road of destruction for the wind to magically stop and save the main characters. Overall it was good and will try and read more of his sci- fi in the future
Mathieu
Deuxième roman de J. G. Ballard, et deuxième volume de son cycle d'apocalypses liées aux éléments.

Comme le titre le laisse aisément deviner, il s'agit ici d'une apocalypse liée à l'air, le vent gagnant en vitesse chaque jour jusqu'à atteindre une vitesse telle qu'il assèche les mers, arase les terres et abat les bâtiments.

Dans ce contexte d'abord pris à la légère par les autorités, on suit le récit de quelques personnages pris dans la tourmente (au sens littéral du terme).

Comme dans l'autre volu
Logan
Mar 13, 2013 Logan rated it it was ok

I think I should have framed this book and put it on the wall, rather than read it. David Pelham's cover is gorgeous, as are all his covers. But instead, I read it, and the book got a little more beat up than I would have liked, which wasn't hard since it is a copy that's 36 years old. But I digress. This book, unlike the gale force which it revolves around, lost momentum quickly and was just a bit of a drag until the last 30 pages or so. Basically, this book is about a wind that gains 5MPH in
Shawn
Aug 23, 2014 Shawn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-sci-fi
The first and least of Ballard "elemental apocalypse" quartet, and pretty much disowned by him from what I hear. Ballard hasn't developed as a writer yet - so what you get is a pretty good concept (the earth's atmosphere has churned into an enormous storm, cyclonic winds steadily increasing and destroying everything worldwide - skyscrapers and towers are the first to go, 'natch - scouring the earth of everything as humanity attempts to deal and then mostly moves underground) and some hokey chara ...more
Mark Speed
Jun 08, 2015 Mark Speed rated it it was ok
Shelves: dystopian-future
The first J.G. Ballard I ever read. I read it not knowing that he was a (by then) highly regarded 'literary' author. Ballard himself dismissed this novel as 'a piece of hackwork', having written it in just ten days. I'd agree. It's unforgettable only for its thin plot and two-dimensional characters. I'm glad I didn't know who it was by, or it would have put me off his later works.
Howard Kistler
Part of Ballard's "End Of The World Tetralogy", wherein the world is brought to the brink of destruction by cataclysms inspired by the Four Classical Elements (air, water, fire, earth). This is the first of the series and perhaps not as polished as Ballard's later writing. There is a fierceness to it though which makes it engaging. And while the ending may seem overly contrived, it makes clear the unmistakable message of the book.
John  Ashtone
Nov 01, 2014 John Ashtone rated it really liked it
Although it is many ways the weakest of the three Weather stories in objectivity, it is Ballard on top form. Part of this is due to the fact he can't seem to decide if Man's ingenuity would be equal to nature or if he is writing a story about how the rich survive.

The descriptions as always are superb.
Daniel Garrison
May 04, 2016 Daniel Garrison rated it did not like it
The first Ballard book I ever read was The Drowned World. I really didn't like it. So I gave him another try, with what I believe may have been his first novel - The Wind from Nowhere. I didn't like it. I think I'm done with Ballard, we don't seem to jive.
Judy
A freak wind eventually whips around the earth at over 500 miles an hour. This is his first novel and has numerous flaws and weaknesses but still he creates an apocalyptic event beyond anything else I have read about except Hiroshima by John Hersey. Look out world!
Ivan Castellucci
Questo romanzo si ascrive a quel tipo di fantascienza che viene chiamata "fantascienza apocalittica e post-apocalittica" ovvero romanzi incentrati sulla fine della civiltà e sulla successiva resistenza dei sopravvissuti in un mondo devastato.
Qui, ciò che causa la fine della civiltà, è un vento, un vento che diventa sempre più forte e che, durante il corso del romanzo, supererà la velocità di 800 Kmh, devastando tutto.
Le storie di vari protagonisti si intrecceranno, mentre uno strambo miliardario
Judith Johnson
Jul 11, 2015 Judith Johnson rated it liked it
Not nearly as good as I thought reading it all all those years ago. I guess I now want a logical explanation of where this wind came from, why did it increase to the point of blowing everything away and then start dying away? I still love the name though.
Jonathan Roper
Jul 14, 2016 Jonathan Roper rated it it was amazing
Wonderful. Set in a neighbourhood I used to live in, this work picks you up and carries you off….
Max Mindock
Mar 24, 2016 Max Mindock rated it it was amazing
Shows how society faces the wind. Very good. Kept my attention. Short.
Hamish
Nov 08, 2014 Hamish added it
Shelves: abandoned
Didn't even get close to finishing this. Found it weak and uninteresting.
Keith
Oct 04, 2015 Keith rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
"The Wind from Nowhere" was a novel I read in the 1960's.
Vjekoslav Radišić
Jul 10, 2015 Vjekoslav Radišić rated it liked it
zaustavi se vjetre ...
Brad Munson
It's awe-inspiring and a little daunting to see stories like this: written more than a lifetime ago (in so many ways) and still filled with wonder and dread. Ballard is nearly as hallucinogenic in this piece as he is in some of his later work, but simply the notion of a world struggling with a wind that gets worse and worse and will not STOP is enough to make you dread the next breezy day. Deserves to be reprinted and remarketed, like so much great stuff from the fifties, sixties, and seventies.
Tomislav
Dec 20, 2013 Tomislav rated it it was ok
Shelves: science-fiction
The Wind from Nowhere was J.G.Ballard's first novel, and he quickly disavowed it as hackwork, preferring to identify The Drowned World as his first work. While this has lots of gripping scenes of destruction and death under an every increasing world-wide wind, I'm just not sure what the point of it all is, other than that the hubris of man cannot go unpunished. The ending is especially and unnaturally abrupt. Ballard was right, this isn't much of a novel.
LL
Dec 30, 2011 LL rated it liked it
This was apparently a quick, two week, first novel for JG Ballard. Cool! You can sense both his tremendous potential and the cursory nature of this first effort quite clearly. It's rather a simple disaster story with a wind which just gets faster and faster every day, equally, all across the Earth. Surprising ending given his style...
Marianne
May 11, 2009 Marianne rated it liked it
Shelves: gone, sci-fi
J.G. Ballard: The Wind From Nowhere 3 26 Feb 02, 2013 08:41AM
  • Barefoot in the Head (Corgi SF Collector's Library)
  • The Year of the Quiet Sun
  • The Last Gasp
  • A Wrinkle in the Skin
  • Fun with Your New Head
  • Greener Than You Think (Classics of Modern Science Fiction 10)
  • Vanishing Point
  • A Life for the Stars (Cities in Flight, #2)
  • Dark Side of the Earth
  • Davy
  • Dark Universe
  • Aftermath (Supernova Alpha, #1)
  • The Great Explosion
  • False Dawn
  • The Snow
  • The World Jones Made
  • Queen City Jazz (Nanotech, #1)
  • Gather, Darkness!
James Graham "J. G." Ballard (15 November 1930 – 19 April 2009) was an English novelist, short story writer, and essayist. Ballard came to be associated with the New Wave of science fiction early in his career with apocalyptic (or post-apocalyptic) novels such as The Drowned World (1962), The Burning World (1964), and The Crystal World (1966). In the late 1960s and early 1970s Ballard focused on a ...more
More about J.G. Ballard...