Start by marking “Little Lit: Folklore and Fairy Tale Funnies” as Want to Read:
Little Lit: Folklore and Fairy Tale Funnies

Little Lit: Folklore and Fairy Tale Funnies (Little Lit #1)

Innovative cartoonists and renowned children's book artists from around the world have gathered to bring you the magic of fairy tales through the wonder of comics. The stories range from old favorites to new discoveries, from the profound to the silly. A treat for all ages, these picture stories unlock the enchanted door into the pleasures of books and reading.
Published October 3rd 2000 by RAW Junior / Joanna Cotler (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Little Lit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Little Lit

Melki
Jan 03, 2015 Melki rated it it was amazing
This is an absolutely GORGEOUS book featuring some of the hottest names in the art/graphic novel business. While many of the stories are familiar, you've never heard 'em told exactly this way before.

I'm tempted to say keep this one for yourself and on a high shelf away from the kiddies, but I suppose it would be okay if they have a look...provided they wash their sticky little fingers first!

(You're right - I do have the personality of an evil-stepmother! Now, where'd I put that poisoned apple?)
Ronyell
Little Lit

Did you ever think that fairy tale stories can be converted into comic strips? Well, it seems like they can since there is a brilliant collection of fairy tales stories being told through comic strips called “Little Lit: Folklore and Fairy Tale Funnies!” “Little Lit: Folklore and Fairy Tale Funnies” is a collection of various fairy tales that are shown in comic book strips and it is edited by Art Spiegelman and Francoise Mouly. For anyone who loves reading fairy tales and comic books, this graph
Wendy
Nov 06, 2011 Wendy rated it it was ok
Shelves: reviewed
Genre: Children’s, Fairytale, Graphic

Summary:

In this collection of slightly altered fairytales, each story is rendered as a comic strip with each cartoon reflecting the respective author and illustrator. The tails are reminiscent of the original, however, their perspective changes the outcome and provides a new story altogether.

Humpty Dumpty, The Princess and the Pea, and other classic tales accompany search and find and what’s wrong with this picture games. While on the surface this might app
Dominick
Apr 27, 2016 Dominick rated it really liked it
Oddball collection of fairy tale adaptations (and a few originals, it seems) from a collection of mostly alternative/art comics types such as Spiegelman, Dan Clowes, Chris Ware, David Mazzucchelli, etc. Unsurprisingly, the art is consistently stunning, and the adaptations are generally more "straight" (oddities of artistic style aside) than one might expect. It is a bit much to claim, as the book does, that the second half of "Sleeping Beauty" as adapted by Clowes is "almost unknown"; sure, it i ...more
Josephus FromPlacitas
May 27, 2012 Josephus FromPlacitas rated it it was amazing
Beautiful comics, amazing art, whether you're a kid or grown-up, you can lose yourself completely in these huge, ornate images by brilliant artists. One thing to review before giving it to a little kid might be to decide whether a couple of the more intense and grotesque stories would jive well with your little brain-voyager's personality. Not that kids can't or shouldn't handle weirdness, but it's worth feeling out beforehand.
Justin Ferguson
Feb 10, 2017 Justin Ferguson rated it liked it
Fairy tales have intrigued me due to the fact that they're aimed at children yet carry very adult themes. If you've read Grimm's you know that they almost always end in the maiming or death of someone. You can't argue with the lessons of the tales, but we could debate their method. The "Little Lit" collection of fairy tales is a graphic novelized versions of classic fairy tales, but with alternate endings or comedic changes to their plot. I didn't feel like the overall message was different, but ...more
R
Feb 08, 2017 R rated it really liked it
Interesting and fun to read different authors and illustrators working together.
(Jen) The Artist Librarian
I loved how all the work have a retro flair or vintage feel to them ... in fact, "The Gingerbread Man" by Walt Kelly was drawn in 1943, but all of the art feels like it could have been created over 50 years ago. I almost couldn't believe the copyright date says 2000.

The one that stood out to me the most was the "Fairy Tale Road Rage" and "Once Upon a Time" by Chris Ware -they're actually the last endpages, but it's amazingly witty. First, "Road Rage" is the instructions for the board game on t
Justin
Hermioneginny
Nov 09, 2016 Hermioneginny rated it did not like it
Rivisitazioni di fiabe classiche, con finali pseudo moraleggianti.
Nicole Doerr
Apr 13, 2012 Nicole Doerr rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-lit
This is an amazing collection of folklore.The authors did a wonderful job with the stories and illustrations. This is intended for school age and up. This book contains many short fairy tales. The stories are told in comic strip form. The tails are similar to the original ones but the outcomes are slightly different, which provides a new out look. Children and adult can enjoy the funny and sweet tales such as The Princess and the Pea, Humpty Dumpty, and Rapunzel. It is very interesting the way s ...more
Myrza
Jun 25, 2012 Myrza rated it really liked it
Shelves: 5360-summer-12
Spiegelman, A. (2000). Little Lit: Folklore and Fairy Tale Funnies. New York:
HarperCollins.
What a unique way to capture the young readers with a graphic novel that indulges them with a variety of folk and fairy tale favorites. With a twist to these favorite stories and captivating illustrations the kids will be enjoying the book. Honestly who doesn’t enjoy hearing these stories and in this captivating way, it’s really entertaining.
Moe
Jul 03, 2009 Moe rated it really liked it
Shelves: 3rd-grade
Most of the stories had valuable lessons. Like one of them was do as you're told or else it change your whole entire life. The best parts was when there was this picture that had all these spooky pictures in black and white and it was a maze. It had creatures I don't even know about. What I liked best was the illustrations and how it was funny. The one about Rupunzel is really funny and full of mistakes.
Megan Kirby
Feb 24, 2013 Megan Kirby rated it really liked it
I had somehow never heard of these RAW-for-kids story adaptations edited by Spiegelman and Mouly until yesterday, when I found it at a used book store. These are stories for kids with plenty of smart writing and heavy-hitting comics artists to keep adults searching for more editions. Ware, Burns, Clowes, Kaz-- when I started flipping through I almost hyperventilated. And even better, it was a fun read with a good mix of classic fairy tales and more obscure folk tales.
Eden
This is a collection of fairy tales, but they are comics and slightly different than the tales they originate from. Most of the tales tend to be funny and cute. The one tale I really enjoyed was The Fisherman and The Sea Princess. It was really a nice story, but had a very sad ending.

Overall, it was a fun collection of fairy tales.
Robin
Apr 19, 2011 Robin rated it really liked it
A fun collection. Wonderful artwork by many different artists (William Joyce, David Macaulay, Walt Kelly and more) to tell/retell some familiar fairy tales, such as Jack and the Beanstalk, the Princess and the Pea, and the Gingerbread Man. Plus some fun interactive elements (what's wrong with this picture, find the hidden objects.) Large format, plus nice thick creamy paper.
Brandon Kurtich
Jul 21, 2009 Brandon Kurtich rated it it was amazing
Great short stories told for kids! It's not often that brand new fairy tales and fables are created (usually it's a new take on classic stories), but Spiegelman and the other great comic artists have created great works of arts for kids and adults.
Bears Library
Nov 10, 2011 Bears Library rated it really liked it
These are fairy tales told in comic format. They are delightful and remind you of the books you read as a child. My favorite may have been the Fisherman and the Sea Princess. The Gingerbream Man drawings reminded me of yesteryear. :)
Lisa Macklem
Apr 27, 2016 Lisa Macklem rated it really liked it
Beautifully drawn by a variety of artists. The classic story of the Runaway Gingerbread Man is joined by new takes on old favorites like Jack and the Beanstalk and plenty of stories I wasn't familiar with or were new. Interspersed are a couple of games to amuse. Appropriate for all ages!
Michael
Feb 10, 2016 Michael rated it really liked it
Shelves: the-kids-books
Some very nice work in here, but for what it's worth, my toddler always wants Walt Kelly's "Gingerbread Man" strip, the only one without a shred of post-modernism in it.
BookShorts  MovingStories.TV
I've had this book for years, but dip into it whenever I need a hit of inspiring whimsy.
Emelia
May 20, 2008 Emelia rated it it was amazing
Has a lot of funny comics! 8D
Deirdre Keating
Dec 30, 2011 Deirdre Keating rated it really liked it
Very cool and interesting, and possibly not the most appropriate gift for Santa to have given Aidan this year.
Kayleigh
Jul 22, 2008 Kayleigh rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
A bunch of awkward fairy tales by graphic novel artists and illustrators and stuff. Very cute.
Lynn
Jan 14, 2015 Lynn rated it it was amazing
Just beautiful, and so much fun...
Juana "Darkness" Duran
It was really funny I recommend to everyone. Very cool how they portrayed the fairies and other characters of the story.
Elizabeth
Feb 19, 2013 Elizabeth marked it as to-read
As heard on The Writer's Almanac.
Gracebaldwin
Gracebaldwin rated it really liked it
Feb 08, 2011
Jocelyn Koehler
Jocelyn Koehler rated it liked it
May 07, 2012
schmiss
schmiss rated it liked it
Jan 18, 2011
  • Fractured Fables
  • The Secret of the Stone Frog: A TOON Graphic
  • Pinocchio, Vampire Slayer and the Great Puppet Theater
  • Benjamin Bear in Bright Ideas
  • Otto's Orange Day (TOON Level 3)
  • George Sprott, 1894-1975
  • Zot! Book 2
  • Little Nemo in Slumberland - So Many Splendid Sundays
  • The Graphic Canon of Children's Literature: The World's Great Kids' Lit as Comics and Visuals (The Graphic Canon)
  • The Hardy Boys: Undercover Brothers, #1: The Ocean of Osyria
  • Welcome to the Dahl House: Alienation, Incarceration, and Inebriation in the New American Rome
  • Garfield Lard of the Jungle: His 52nd Book
  • The Acme Novelty Library #15: Joke Book II
  • Nursery Rhyme Comics
  • Shazam! The Monster Society of Evil
  • Last of the Sandwalkers
  • Uncle Scrooge: Only a Poor Old Man (The Carl Barks Library, #12)
  • Gobble You Up!
Art Spiegelman (born Itzhak Avraham ben Zeev) is New-York-based comics artist, editor, and advocate for the medium of comics, best known for his Pulitzer Prize-winning comic memoir, Maus.
More about Art Spiegelman...

Little Lit (3 books)
  • Little Lit: Strange Stories for Strange Kids
  • Little Lit: It Was a Dark and Silly Night...