Start by marking “Yo! Yes?” as Want to Read:
Yo! Yes?

Yo! Yes? (Yo!)

3.88  ·  Rating Details ·  4,372 Ratings  ·  367 Reviews
Two strangers on a street meet. One boy starts with Yo!
Hardcover, 1 page
Published March 1st 1993 by Orchard Books (NY)

Manybooks
The illustrations of Chris Raschka's Yo! Yes? do not really appeal all that much to me on a personal level (while bright and lively, the facial expressions in particular feel a bit overly vague and flatly washed-out), but they work exceedingly well with the sparse but effective text (mirroring its simplicity, but also somewhat expanding on the bare-bones printed words by also showing the changing emotions of the two lonely boys, from shyness, from surprise, to delight and joyful anticipation). T ...more
Dolly
Jan 30, 2010 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: beginning readers and parents reading with their children
Simple one or two-word sentences and lots of punctuation tell a tale of loneliness and friendship. Very basic, short and good for beginning readers. Our girls liked this story and could read it by themselves.

This book was selected as one of the books for the November 2016- Caldecott Honor discussion at the Picture-Book Club in the Children's Books Group here at Goodreads.
Woody Calhoon
Mar 30, 2014 Woody Calhoon rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: march
Yo! Yes? Is not a bad book on its own, but for me, personally, I just really didn't get it. I understand that it is supposed to be a story about two kids from different backgrounds becoming friends, but the book made it really just feel like two people saying the word "hello" over and over again in a variety of different ways. The art helps tell the story a little bit, but I feel like its not done well enough to support the whole story. The story is supposed to show kids that being friends with ...more
AleJandra
Sep 25, 2016 AleJandra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kasey-s-books
Este libro es tan noventero. No se si de verdad fue escrito en los 90'S, pero tiene esa esencia.

Una historia, manejada de una forma muy original. Sobre lo facil que puede ser hacer amigos.

Cada pagina contiene oraciones cortas, a veces de una sola palabra. Con letras de gran tamaño. Que ayudan muchísimo cuando los niños apenas están aprendiendo a leer.

description

Muy recomendable, libro multi-premiado, y lastimosamente lo encontré en las rebajas en una feria del libro.
Megan
Jul 07, 2015 Megan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kidbooks
Everything this man does is delightful, but this is my favorite.
Gabriela Alvarez
Yo!Yes? By Chris Raschaka is a Caldecott Honor Book and is a recommendation from the Association for Library Service to Children.
Recommend for ages 3-5

This story is about two boys who end up being friends and communicate using few words. A shy boy is suddenly surprised, when an outgoing boy who is different from him, stops him and says "Yo!" and is unsure if he's talking to him. Soon, he shares with this stranger that he has no friends, but that stranger ends up offering his friendship to him.
Fjóla
Apr 15, 2012 Fjóla rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 3 - 5 year olds, preschool storytime, discuss diversity
Minimalistic, but very cute! Two little boys strike a conversation through a handful of words. They're clearly not on the same page, when the story takes off, but their desire for a friend brings them together. So much is said in such few words. It's impressive. On the first reading my 3 1/2 year old was a little confused about what was going on (it's really an unconventional book, too), but the second time it really clicked for him. He even read it himself, with the correct intonations. I hadn' ...more
Olivia Pitchford
This story uses barely any text to describe a beautiful message. "Yo! Yes?" is very simple book about a two boys conversation between each other. One boy simply wanted to offer friendship to the other boy. This book is a 1994 Caldecot Honor Book, and I'm pretty sure that is because the message of the book is reaching out to people who don't necessarily look like you and offering to be friends anyway. Throughout the entirety of the book the two unnamed characters remained on opposite sides of the ...more
Jen Wehage-Barrera
Two boys of different races have a short question and answer conversation throughout the book. The words alone may confuse the reader, but when read with emphasis on punctuation and paired with the illustrations a deeper understanding occurs. Although their interaction is only one or two words at a time, the pictures show how their friendship develops. Companionship and loneliness are very relatable topics for people of all ages. The pictures are bright, colorful, and inviting leading to Yo! Yes ...more
Mari Miyagi
This might be my favorite book this week. This book shows a black boy and a white boy having a conversation in just a few words like "Yes" "You?" "No friends." etc and it shows that their differences are overcome with those simple words. If there are newcomers who are new to the country in your classroom and they speak little English like simple words like this white boy, still those words have so many meanings behind them that are enough to convey their messages. This book might help other stud ...more
SamZ
Nov 02, 2016 SamZ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: caldecott
1994 Caldecott Honor - Favorite Illustration: When the outgoing boy says "Yes, me!" and the timid boy replies "You!" I love the way the friendly boy is standing there with his arms on his head. So typical of small kids.
This is a fun, very simple book that tells a great story about the value of making new friends. I love kids and the way they will simply run up to another kid and ask if they want to play and be friends. Often, they don't even ask names, they're just content to play together. It u
Shelby Zimmerman
Yo! Yes? By Chris Raschka is a fun book about an African-American boy and a white boy meeting and their exchange by a couple words. The illustrations are very bright and colorful and show the development of their friendship. The stance of the boys is very repetitive but it shows a development of characters. They start on different ends of the page and end up next to each other by the end of the book.
Two boys navigate those first moments of a possible friendship: the "want to be my friend?" that's so hard to express. Raschka's illustrations capture the tension of the moment: one boy so outgoing and ready to take a risk, the other's body language showing his fear and self-doubt. This would make a good story for the beginning of the year in our school where one-third of our students are new each year.
Connie
Jan 17, 2011 Connie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very simple book for an early reader, with no page having more than two words (all dialog) on it.

The story is really told in the illustrations. You can see so much from how the boys stand, how small or big their words are. Very sweet story... and at a level a five year old can easily read.
Jenny
While I can see the value of this book for beginning readers and English language learners, it did not particularly appeal to me. The text is simple, two boys saying hello and beginning a friendship using just a few words. The illustrations are bright and help convey the meaning. However, I did not find either the text or illustrations appealing.
SaraLaLa
Feb 26, 2016 SaraLaLa rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens
If you like things to be overly concise, this is the book for you. With typically one (at most two) word(s) on a page, the author Chris Raschka tells about one boy who initially has no friends and then gets befriended by a second boy. Umm... the end.
Lana Clifton
Two boys find friendship, despite their
differences. This book emphasizes diversity, while punctuating inclusion. Pay special attention to reading with expression during read aloud. Students need to hear the difference between words being spoken as questions or exclamations.
ABC
Feb 12, 2009 ABC rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book shows two kids becoming friends.
Kelsey Ruggirello
This is a cute book about how a boy feels like he has no friends but then another boy tells him he is his friend. Would be good for a kindergarten or 1st grade class.
Sierra Watts
This is an easy read, It shows how two strangers can become friends using a short conversation.
Jon
Feb 16, 2010 Jon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hildy-books
Eric Carle is a crypto-fascist, brainwashing our children. How do I know this? Read the books; I'm not going to hold your hand while you learn what you must to survive the coming government crackdown. Suffice it to say I am in possession of certain knowledge that only a favored few are privileged to know. Look to The Hungry Caterpillar, The Very Lonely Firefly, and especially Pancakes, Pancakes, and you will behold the secret history of the 20th century, written in code. Who is behind the social ...more
Xi Cai
Jan 31, 2017 Xi Cai rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great picture book for the early childhood education. First, the illustration of this book is very simple. The text and pictures were tight together. The first thing caught my eye is that there are two characters and they were expressing what they trying to say by a simple word. This book will attract children's attention because there is no much font but the words and the characters were interesting by looking at their facial expressions.
One of the important factor to help children t
Mikaela Rizik
Oct 30, 2016 Mikaela Rizik rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is about an African-American boy and a white boy who meet on a street and one to two words exchange between the two that leads to a beautiful friendship.

This is a great book for early readers because it teaches them no matter what race you are or the color of your skin we are all alike. This book is especially important to young readers because it shows you can be friend with anyone no matter what race/ethnicity they are or what color their skin is.
Stefanie Burns
Mar 22, 2017 Stefanie Burns rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: caldecott-honor
I've enjoyed reading this book with my Kindergarten students for years. It is a great book to teach fluency, punctuation, and writing workshop lessons. Kids LOVE rereading this book over and over and it's great for partner reading too. It's so simplistic, by clever all at the same time. Beginner readers can read the text and all the students can tell by the body language and expressions, the intonation they should use when reading it aloud. Great book to boost reading confidence too.
Jose Solis
Feb 20, 2017 Jose Solis marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jose
Good
Courtney Lau
Mar 09, 2017 Courtney Lau rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-book
Very cute book with minimal words. Great for new or struggling readers. The pictures make up most of the story line. Would use in younger grades.
Shelbi Hardin
I could use this book to teach about conventions and voice.
Becca Bankston
Feb 04, 2017 Becca Bankston rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picturebooks
The illustrations do everything in this book. The text is limited to one or two words per page and they are only one syllable. If I was going to use this book in my classroom I would use it for beginning ELL students, because they can see the body language around the words and piece the whole idea together in English. I would Level with DRA (4) & Guided Reading (Label Book). I think the main trait of this book is ideas.
Sam McKillop
1. This book received the Caldecott Honor.
2. This book is appropriate for first grade (Even though there is only one word per page, the idea is not appropriate for PreK or K).
3. There is this little boy who does not have fun because he has no friends. Another little boy shows up and asks him what is wrong and then becomes his friend. They both live happily ever after.
4. Even though the topic of having no friends is sad, that is the feeling that occurs often among young children. I like how this
Kathryn Anne
Yo! Yes? by Chris Raschka is about two young boys who communicate with different words and expressions but manage to get the important ideas across to each other and eventually become friends despite their differences. I really enjoyed this book because it expresses a complex idea in only a few words that children can understand. The main characters’ culture/first language are used in the text by the way that they have been taught to address a stranger. One of the characters uses a more direct a ...more
Friendship 1 6 Sep 07, 2014 07:20PM
  • Hush! A Thai Lullaby
  • Peppe the Lamplighter
  • A Child's Calendar
  • Gone Wild: An Endangered Animal Alphabet
"I always try to treat the book itself as the artwork," Chris Raschka says. "I don't want you to stop while you're reading one of my books and say, 'Oh! What a gorgeous illustration!' I want you to stop at the end of the book and say, 'This is a good book.' "

Chris Raschka is one of those people who knew from an early age what he wanted to be when he grew up. "It was never a question in my mind,"
More about Chris Raschka...

Yo! (2 books)