Start by marking “The Mind-Murders” as Want to Read:
The Mind-Murders

The Mind-Murders (Amsterdam Cops Mysteries #8)

3.75  ·  Rating Details  ·  183 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
Mr. Fortune is suspected of murdering his wife. Grijpstra and de Gier begin a search that leads to the unidentified corpse of a man stuffed into the trunk of a stolen Mercedes. But where is the body of Mrs. Fortune? Tracking a killer without a corpse and a corpse without a killer, the Amsterdam cops finally arrive at the bonechilling truth.
Published July 1st 2003 by Soho Crime (first published 1980)

To ask other readers questions about The Mind-Murders, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mind-Murders

Mark
Oct 02, 2014 Mark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of crime novels that are different
The first half of the story has been released as a stand alone story for celebrating the annual Dutch Book week, and was a present for those readers who spend an x-amount on books. And as such was my first time reading JW van de Wetering.

This story starts with the policemen Karate (nickname because of certain skills) & Ketchup (he did not mind his suspects bloodied) having thrown a poor man into the canal because he was misbehaving. And it proved to be quite a job to recover the man from the
Joy
Sep 20, 2009 Joy rated it really liked it
Beelema's cafe is the place to meet colorful characters in the old section of Amsterdam. Police Adjutant Grijpstra and his aide Sergeant de Gier are looking for something to do over the weekend when they are attracted by a semi-riot. A man in the river is trying to hit a constable over the head with his crutch. By the time de Gier pulls him out of the river Grijpstra has learned that the seeming culprit bears the ironic name of Fortune, and there is a missing wife in the case. A fat German grumb ...more
Jason Paulios
Sep 29, 2008 Jason Paulios rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery
Just wasn't into this one. A rare misstep from the series, the main 'crimes' just weren't interesting or big enough to carry an entire novel.
Bev
So....I've gone from a mystery with a headless corpse (see previous review) to a book with a headless teddy bear. Named Brom.Yeah, I didn't believe it either. The Mind-Murders (1981) by Janwillem van de Wetering reads like it was written while the author was on an acid trip. It's got hippies, dancing policemen, a couple of cops named Ketchup & Karate (I tell you I'm not making this up), and is written with a dream-like quality that makes you think of the Sixties and sex, drugs & rock-n-r ...more
Stefan Percy
Well, I'll start off by stating that this was my least favourite book in the Grijpstra & de Gier series so far. I'm not sure what was going on in Janwillem van de Wetering's life at the time he wrote this, but it seems like there may have been some hallucinogens involved.

The first part of this book is rather trippy. The second part is a little better but still unusual. Plus, the names of the characters in this book are unlike any in the other van de Wetering books I have read so far and they
Yooperprof
Jul 12, 2015 Yooperprof rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, crime, nederlands
I was rather disappointed with this entry in the series. (I've read eleven, so I have a fairly good sense of what van de Wetering is capable of.) The writing was generally opaque, and occasionally it was quite difficult to figure out what actually was going on. The policemen don't have a whole lot to do, and the general tone is more negative than it usually is.
Larry
Feb 17, 2014 Larry rated it liked it
Great scene early on with the Chief inspector telling a story, but overall, I'd agree with other reviews that this entry in the series is more disjointed than the others, and at times more a farce than a mystery.
Lynne-marie
Jan 19, 2012 Lynne-marie rated it liked it
Not, in my opinion, up to the usual level of this author's high level of performance. What I refer to is the disconnected and rather lackadaisical proceeding of the book. I must say that de Gier and Grijpstra don't always follow the straightest path to apprehending a criminal, but in this case the book itself seems to lack coherence. There are great parts, especially in the setting up of the crime and the perceiving it AS a crime, but the low comedy get in the way a lot and we are certainly in n ...more
Karmen
Aug 19, 2015 Karmen rated it really liked it

The two part story unfolds and presents wonderfully eccentric characters. The Fortunes; Titania; Zhaver ; Ásta, Karate and Ketchup and their boss. Of course then there is Beleema.
Dave
Dec 08, 2008 Dave rated it really liked it
Van de Wetering wrote a number of police procedurals based in the Netherlands and they are all wonderful. The two main police characters exemplify police attitudes everywhere in the world, I guess, but are endearing and fascinating. Also, you learn alot about Amsterdam neighborhoods and the hinterlands too. Some of his books are set in other countries, like Japan and the US (Maine) with the same main characters. They are all super.
R. Ellis
Nov 15, 2011 R. Ellis rated it it was ok
The previous Grijpstra and de Gier novels were excellent. However, this one was WAY too dreamlike for my liking. I'm aware that van de Wetering purposely used massive confusion as part of his style in Mind-Murders, but either he was unsuccessful, or I just didn't appreciate the effort. Won't stop me from reading the rest of the series though.
Tim
Nov 24, 2011 Tim rated it liked it
The fourth of Wetering's Amsterdam cops books that I have read and this one is a comedy. While the characters remain the same, the feel here is lighter and even farcical at times. Still a delight to read though and clever enough as a mystery.
Dawn Marie
Aug 16, 2015 Dawn Marie rated it it was ok
Tiresome.
bookczuk
I've read all the van de Wetering mysteries we could get our hands on, but in the pre-BookCrossing/Goodreads days. Really want to re-read, but need to get some jenever and herring in the house, first.
Christy Van Dam
Apr 28, 2011 Christy Van Dam rated it it was ok
Weird...not sure I like this author...I bought another one of his(?) books at the thrift store so I'll read that and see...
Phil
Apr 11, 2011 Phil rated it liked it
Not my fav, but those AMS cops can sure swing a wild tale.
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2016
Rhonda Pickens
Rhonda Pickens marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2016
Kit
Kit rated it liked it
Aug 17, 2016
Mick Williamson
Mick Williamson marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2016
Ramona
Ramona rated it liked it
Jul 28, 2016
Rachel ☯
Rachel ☯ marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2016
Cp
Cp rated it really liked it
Jul 23, 2016
Margaret Roy
Margaret Roy marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2016
Wetbook
Wetbook rated it really liked it
Jul 22, 2016
LM
LM rated it it was amazing
Jul 07, 2016
Aidan
Aidan marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2016
Compass
Compass marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2016
Kristin Centorcelli
Kristin Centorcelli marked it as to-read
May 18, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Siren of the Waters (Commander Jana Matinova, #1)
  • The Man on the Balcony (Martin Beck, #3)
  • Jade Lady Burning (Sergeants Sueño and Bascom #1)
  • Rebus: The Early Years (Inspector Rebus, #1-3)
  • Publish & Perish (Ben Reese, #1)
  • Moonlight Downs (Emily Tempest, #1)
  • The Two-Penny Bar (Maigret, #11)
  • Child's Play (Dalziel & Pascoe, #9)
  • Helsinki Blood (Inspector Kari Vaara, #4)
  • Münsters Fall (Inspector Van Veeteren #6)
  • Death of an Englishman (Marshal Guarnaccia Mystery, #1)
  • The Summer of Dead Toys (Inspector Salgado #1)
  • Random Violence (Jade de Jong, #1)
  • The Dark Valley
  • Watcher in the Pine (Tejada, #3)
  • Hideout (Richard Chrisite, #5)
  • Midnight Pass (Lew Fonesca, #3)
  • Billboard Man

Amsterdam Cops Mysteries (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • Outsider in Amsterdam (Grijpstra & de Gier Mystery #1)
  • Tumbleweed
  • The Corpse on the Dike
  • Death of a Hawker
  • The Japanese Corpse (Grijpstra & De Gier Mystery, #5)
  • The Blond Baboon