Start by marking “The Mind-Murders” as Want to Read:
The Mind-Murders

The Mind-Murders (Grijpstra & de Gier Mystery #8)

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  148 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Suspecting a missing woman's husband of murder, two Amsterdam detectives try to locate the missing body of Mrs. Fortune, while at the same time trying to find the killer of an unidentified male stuffed in the trunk of a stolen Mercedes.
Published July 1st 2003 by Soho Crime (first published 1980)

To ask other readers questions about The Mind-Murders, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mind-Murders

Mark
Oct 02, 2014 Mark rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of crime novels that are different
The first half of the story has been released as a stand alone story for celebrating the annual Dutch Book week, and was a present for those readers who spend an x-amount on books. And as such was my first time reading JW van de Wetering.

This story starts with the policemen Karate (nickname because of certain skills) & Ketchup (he did not mind his suspects bloodied) having thrown a poor man into the canal because he was misbehaving. And it proved to be quite a job to recover the man from the
Joy
Beelema's cafe is the place to meet colorful characters in the old section of Amsterdam. Police Adjutant Grijpstra and his aide Sergeant de Gier are looking for something to do over the weekend when they are attracted by a semi-riot. A man in the river is trying to hit a constable over the head with his crutch. By the time de Gier pulls him out of the river Grijpstra has learned that the seeming culprit bears the ironic name of Fortune, and there is a missing wife in the case. A fat German grumb ...more
Bev Hankins
So....I've gone from a mystery with a headless corpse (see previous review) to a book with a headless teddy bear. Named Brom.Yeah, I didn't believe it either. The Mind-Murders (1981) by Janwillem van de Wetering reads like it was written while the author was on an acid trip. It's got hippies, dancing policemen, a couple of cops named Ketchup & Karate (I tell you I'm not making this up), and is written with a dream-like quality that makes you think of the Sixties and sex, drugs & rock-n-r ...more
Stefan Percy
Well, I'll start off by stating that this was my least favourite book in the Grijpstra & de Gier series so far. I'm not sure what was going on in Janwillem van de Wetering's life at the time he wrote this, but it seems like there may have been some hallucinogens involved.

The first part of this book is rather trippy. The second part is a little better but still unusual. Plus, the names of the characters in this book are unlike any in the other van de Wetering books I have read so far and they
Larry
Great scene early on with the Chief inspector telling a story, but overall, I'd agree with other reviews that this entry in the series is more disjointed than the others, and at times more a farce than a mystery.
Karmen

The two part story unfolds and presents wonderfully eccentric characters. The Fortunes; Titania; Zhaver ; Ásta, Karate and Ketchup and their boss. Of course then there is Beleema.
Lynne-marie
Not, in my opinion, up to the usual level of this author's high level of performance. What I refer to is the disconnected and rather lackadaisical proceeding of the book. I must say that de Gier and Grijpstra don't always follow the straightest path to apprehending a criminal, but in this case the book itself seems to lack coherence. There are great parts, especially in the setting up of the crime and the perceiving it AS a crime, but the low comedy get in the way a lot and we are certainly in n ...more
Dave
Van de Wetering wrote a number of police procedurals based in the Netherlands and they are all wonderful. The two main police characters exemplify police attitudes everywhere in the world, I guess, but are endearing and fascinating. Also, you learn alot about Amsterdam neighborhoods and the hinterlands too. Some of his books are set in other countries, like Japan and the US (Maine) with the same main characters. They are all super.
R. Ellis
The previous Grijpstra and de Gier novels were excellent. However, this one was WAY too dreamlike for my liking. I'm aware that van de Wetering purposely used massive confusion as part of his style in Mind-Murders, but either he was unsuccessful, or I just didn't appreciate the effort. Won't stop me from reading the rest of the series though.
Tim
The fourth of Wetering's Amsterdam cops books that I have read and this one is a comedy. While the characters remain the same, the feel here is lighter and even farcical at times. Still a delight to read though and clever enough as a mystery.
bookczuk
I've read all the van de Wetering mysteries we could get our hands on, but in the pre-BookCrossing/Goodreads days. Really want to re-read, but need to get some jenever and herring in the house, first.
Jason Paulios
Just wasn't into this one. A rare misstep from the series, the main 'crimes' just weren't interesting or big enough to carry an entire novel.
Christy Young
Weird...not sure I like this author...I bought another one of his(?) books at the thrift store so I'll read that and see...
Phil
Not my fav, but those AMS cops can sure swing a wild tale.
Madeline Faye
Madeline Faye marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2015
Michaela Dunaway
Michaela Dunaway marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2014
Jenn M
Jenn M marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2014
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2014
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Death in Springtime
  • Diamond Dust (Peter Diamond, #7)
  • Siren of the Waters
  • Blood of the Wicked
  • The Locked Room (Martin Beck #8)
  • Ruling Passion (Dalziel & Pascoe, #3)
  • Samaritan's Secret
  • Tattoo Murder Case
  • Jade Lady Burning (Sergeants Sueño and Bascom #1)
  • Rebus: The Early Years (Inspector Rebus, #1-3)
  • Death of a Nationalist (Tejada, #1)

Grijpstra & de Gier Mystery (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • Outsider in Amsterdam (Grijpstra & de Gier Mystery #1)
  • Tumbleweed
  • The Corpse on the Dike
  • Death of a Hawker
  • The Japanese Corpse (Grijpstra & De Gier Mystery, #5)
  • The Blond Baboon
  • The Maine Massacre
  • The Streetbird
  • The Rattle-Rat - Grijpstra & De Gier, The Amsterdam Cops (Book 10)
  • Hard Rain
The Empty Mirror: Experiences in a Japanese Zen Monastery Outsider in Amsterdam (Grijpstra & de Gier Mystery #1) The Corpse on the Dike Tumbleweed A Glimpse of Nothingness: Experiences in an American Zen Community