Daughter of War

Daughter of War

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  165 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Teenagers Kevork and his betrothed Marta are the lucky ones. They have managed so far to survive the Armenian genocide in Turkey, and both are disguised as Muslims. But Marta is still in Turkey, pregnant with another man's child. And Kevork is living as an Arab in Syria.
Kevork yearns to get back into Turkey and search for Marta, but with the war raging and the genocide st...more
Published April 4th 2008 by Fitzhenry & Whiteside

Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
Sequel to Nobody's Child, this book continues the story of Kevork and the sisters Marta and Mariam, all survivors of the Armenian genocide in Turkey during World War I. As they try to find each other after having been separated, they continue to witness the horrors perpetrated against their people. This book read, at times, like a spy thriller, as Kevork is enlisted to help the underground get money to the survivors and smuggle pictures out of the country. The chapters alternate between characte...more
Canadian Children's Book Centre
From the first page, I was hooked into this story of Kevork and Marta, two young lovers separated by the deportations inflicted on ethnic Armenians by the Turks. By luck both survive the initial event and go into hiding, taking other identities and helped by sympathetic people. Skrypuch follows Kevork and Marta as they struggle to survive and to find each other again. Through them and the people who touch their lives, she creates a complex picture of the Armenians, the Turks, and the Europeans a...more
Sydney Carollo
"Daughter of War" by Marsha Forchuk Skypuch is a great story about the struggles and sacrifice for love. Marta and Kevork are young lovers that survived the Armenian Genocide in Turkey. After both surviving they got separated and has to pretend to be different cultures in order to stay alive. Kevork now is living as an Arab and desperately wants to know if Marta is alive. Marta is now living as a wife in a Muslim family. She still loves Kevork and wonders to if he is alive. Marta gets pregnant...more
Abby Johnson
Set in Turkey during WW I, Daughter of War is the story of Kevork and Marta, two Armenian teens in love who are thrust apart when Armenians are deported and sent to concentration camps. Posing as Arab, Kevork repairs shoes for a living and dreams of finding his beloved again. Marta, forced to be a concubine, becomes pregnant with a Turkish man's child and is then deposited at an orphanage. Throughout the events of the war, Kevork and Marta both fight back against the Turks in any way they can an...more
Rachel Lim
The book Daughter of War, is an excellent book because it tells about gender expectations and how war affects the gender expectations which was interesting to me. Marsha Forchuk Skrypuch showed gender expectations through the characters and how war changes their gender expectations. Marta and Kevork both accepted and rejected their gender expectations. When Marta gave birth to her daughter, Pauline, and was looking at her before going to sleep, it said, “ She looked down at her own beautiful sl...more
Leanna
The last time Kevork and Marta saw each other was in an Armenian orphanage in Marash, Turkey. Before they are separated, Kevork and Marta promise they will one day be reunited and marry.

Both Kevork and Marta survive, yet they are also sure the other is dead. They have experienced unspeakable acts, but the promise they made each other keeps them going when life feels unlivable. They hope for the unbelievable—that the other still lives—but also worry they themselves are too severely damaged for th...more
Anna

This book was simply marvelous. It would be improper to say that I "enjoyed" it, because it touched the issue of war/genocide, but rather say that I was taken away by it. Not only does it describe how war tears apart families, leaves large amounts of people living in fear, and spreads misery all around due to hatred and power, but it also entails where our fate takes us and why we must learn to live it. It also talks about the sacrifices we make for love, the lengths one would go for their love...more
Susana
"Daughter of War" has now officially become one of my favorite romantic historical fiction books ever. In our language arts class, our teacher basically made us get into groups and read the same book and being close to the same page. I'm guilty of cheating because i asked the teacher if i could take it home and finished it immediately! This book was diffenetly a page turner and the plot had such an easy flow. I would understand if people were confused with the various point of views but I think...more
Amanda
Daughter of War gives a fictional account of the real life events of the Armenian Genocide where Turkey attempted to cleanse the country of Armenians as well as some Greeks.

They sent the Armenians on death marches into the Syrian desert to small camps filled with Typhus, lice, malnutrition, and facing the elements. They put children in Orphanages, but teenagers were considered adults and were sent on the marches.

This book reminded me so much of the Holocaust yet its not spoken about. At the ti...more
Teen
Fictional account of the Armenian massacres under the Turkish government in 1915-18. The story follows 3 young people, two sisters and an older boy, as they make their way separately and together through Turkey, surviving purges and forced marches. It's pretty good, very graphic, but a little flat when it comes to characterization. Still, a good addition to historical fiction, especially dealing with Mideast issues. Due to the frequent graphic violence, I'd recommend this to high school on up.
wb...more
Becca
This was a gut-wrenching book that gave me information about a genocide. I read this book my sophomore year of high school and found that I couldn't stand to put the book down. So, I finished in about a week.

The two main characters were amazing because, they were not only believable, but likable at the same time. The girl had to deal with a baby that was not hers while the boy crossed the desert to look for his true love.
Dawn
I loved this book! The Armenian genocide was interesting to learn about, and the characters experiences in the events were entertaining. It was extremely dramatic, shocking, and the constant search for families and loved ones was very touching. The author was very graphic in some parts of the book, but I feel as though it was necessary to get the full feel of the situation. Overall, this was an amazing read.
Joanna
Amazing. I didn't really know what to expect picking it up on the discount rack in a grocery store. With all the war that goes on there are many things I never knew about. Like the Armenian Massacres of 1894-96 and the Genocided and Deportations in connection with World War 1. But this story, though fictional the characters, shares well what the hearts and minds of some went through during those time.
Wally
Fictional account of the Armenian massacres under the Turkish government in 1915-18. The story follows 3 young people, two sisters and an older boy, as they make their way separately and together through Turkey, surviving purges and forced marches. It's pretty good, very graphic, but a little flat.
Rjgolden
A great story for middle school students to read. Based around World War I, the book gives a diverse perspective of young individuals living in Turkey during a major war. May be too hard (emotionally) for students to read, but a great book that centers around love and the hard ships faced during wars.
Diane
I found this to be a excellent book of historical fiction. It gives us a look at the Armenian genocide that went on during WW I. It showes us what we can indure. Three young people fighting to stay alive and finding a way to get back to each other. I though it was a well done book.
Sarah Tilatitsky
This book is GREAT. I really like the book, even though I don't really like historical fiction books because the authors tend to (in my opinion) exaggerate a little, and that gets a little annoying. Read it, because it's hard to tell, really.
Heather
I knew nothing about the history of Armenia. This was a very informative historical fiction novel. The characters were very real and believable, and their situation was horribly sad and yet still hopeful. I was sucked right in.
Karen
A well-told story that touches on an aspect of history rarely dealt with in fiction: the Armenian genocide. The horror of war and stark realities faced by the main characters are richly detailed.
Karina Barbosa
The first time i read this book i thought "Ugh another boring class book,"
but as i read more and more the book started to become interesting it was a very good romantic historical fiction book!!!
Edward Sullivan
Good historical fiction set during the Armenian genocide. Not as powerful as Bagdasarian's Forgotten Fire but very good.
Msnelan
Good histroical fiction. I did not know anythign about the Armenian genocide until I read this.
Maria108
This book is very touching,even though i just began the book.
Priscilla
I read it in the middle of Grade 7
Hadley
1916, Armenian genocide
Powerful
Miralda Muchall
Miralda Muchall marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2014
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Marsha has received numerous awards and honours for her picture books and young adult novels, including a nomination for the Canadian Library Association Book of the Year in 2007. Marsha has penned the bestselling Dear Canada book, Prisoners in the Promised Land.

In 2008, Marsha was awarded the Order of Princess Olha by the Ukranian President, in recognition of her story, Enough, which described th...more
More about Marsha Forchuk Skrypuch...
Prisoners in the Promised Land: The Ukrainian Internment Diary of Anya Soloniuk Making Bombs for Hitler Stolen Child Last Airlift: A Vietnamese Orphan's Rescue from War Nobody's Child