Start by marking “O is for Outlaw (Kinsey Millhone, #15)” as Want to Read:
O is for Outlaw (Kinsey Millhone, #15)

O is for Outlaw (Kinsey Millhone #15)

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  15,567 ratings  ·  374 reviews
Through fourteen books, fans have been fed short rations when it comes to Kinsey Millhone's past: a morsel here, a dollop there. We know of the aunt who raised her, the second husband who left her, the long-lost family up the California coast. But husband number one remained a blip on the screen until now.

The call comes on a Monday morning from a guy who scavenges defaulte
Published January 2nd 2001 by Ballantine Books (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about O is for Outlaw, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about O is for Outlaw

I realized as I was reading this book that it was more out of a commitment to finish the alphabet with Sue Grafton than out of a love for the character. I feel like the series has been up and down in terms of my interest. The books O, P and Q are where my interest really flagged off. If you are going to start the series - do not read O,P or Q first. Cuz you won't pick up another one.

In this book Kinsey delves into her past and more is revealed about her than in any other book. Normally that has
Kristen
Finished the book on audio. I don't like the new reader. She makes Kinsey sound older. She sounds like Kinsey's name should be Judy. I know that IS the reader's real name. But her voice ages her and puts her in the era when a quirky funky name like Kinsey just did not happen.
Henry sounds like a much older and more frail sounding man. Not someone that Kinsey found as an much older bur still very attractive man. Rosie sounds like a curly haired busy body flake, not the tall dark and brooding mada
Petula Darling
After reading 15 books in this series I can't help but marvel at what a great job Kinsey does at keeping the peace in California, since she's clearly the only person who is capable of solving a crime or putting away criminals.
I'm more than happy to let Kinsey step in for the police when it can be justified, as it makes for an interesting story. I hate it, however, when Sue Grafton has the police involved in a story only to have them bungle everything ridiculously. It's one thing to have them una
mitchell k dwyer
This far into the series, the best thing about a Kinsey Milhone book is what it adds to a reader's understanding of (and liking for) the main character. Author Sue Grafton knows this, and she seems to be pacing herself through the remainder of the alphabet with developments in Kinsey's love life, revelations about her past, and coming to terms with abandonment issues in the face of new relationships with family members she's only known about for a short time.

In N is for Noose, Grafton sweeps Kin
Una Tiers
While Kinsey is clever, this book is depressing. The central figure, Mickey, has no role other than to lie in bed like a soap opera victim while their contract is renegotiated.
Brad
Mar 08, 2008 Brad rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: increadibly tollerant mouth breethers
'O', the things one does while waiting for a car inspection... I would have rather talked to the fat man sitting next to me. Alas, he was on his cell phone for hours, (must have a sweet battery,) so I was left choosing between year old copies of 'Better Homes and Gardens' and this P.O.S. I regret my choice. Did I have to know that when the protagonist backed from a parking space, she first turned the key then put the car in reverse? Really? Every fucking time? How 'bout just once she forgets to ...more
Jordan Berg
Jun 13, 2007 Jordan Berg rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: who has read Sue Grafton
I love Sue Grafton’s book as she follows private eye Kinsey Millhone through the alphabet. Her books reflect the dying art of private eye mystery books. Sue Grafton is genius at playing homage to this classic genre while updating it with her heroine Kinsey. That is why I was so disappointed by O for Outlaw. This one is more sentimental than her other books and it suffers because of it. While I was glad to learn more about Kinsey, it is certainly not Grafton’s strong writing skills. If you like t ...more
Benjamin Thomas
The 15th novel in the “Alphabet” series featuring Kinsey Millhone is once again, a classic Sue Grafton mystery novel. I’m reading these books in order and it is fun to watch the character of Kinsey Millhone progress through her adventures and especially when we get to learn more about her earlier life. This novel really goes into her past because this time the client for her PI skills is none other than her first husband whom she has not been in contact with since their brief marriage ended 14 y ...more
Jaret
This was another good episode in the Kinsey Millhone series. I really liked getting some background into Kinsey's past life. Learning about her first marriage and the ending of that marriage gave a glimpse into her current personality. I also like how Kinsey worked to change things and fix past "sins". I also enjoyed the new characters from Los Angeles--her ex-husband's landlords. They were a lot of fun and I'd have liked more interaction with them. The main disappointment was the motive for the ...more
Maddy
RATING: 3.75

One of the craftiest things that Sue Grafton has done in the writing of the Kinsey Millhone series is to be miserly about revealing information about Kinsey's past throughout the books. In that way, she keeps a part of Kinsey unknown to her readers. In O is for Outlaw, Grafton focuses on a part of Kinsey's past that many are very curious about, her first marriage to a cop named Mickey Magruder.

Kinsey is approached by a man who buys old auction items or abandoned storage bins and then
aPriL eVoLvEs
Kinsey is getting more and more cowboy as her past relationships change from what she had previously decided about them. Guilt from ignoring or walking away from people who got to close to her in her past seems to fuel a rage to throw herself into her PI work years later when those folk come back. If I were a psychiatrist I'd say she has an attachment disorder. This book reveals more about the first marriage she had with a cop. She self-describes herself as starry-eyed and naive, but I think she ...more
Judi
For gumshoe Kinsey Millhone, the year is May 1986 and she has just turned 36 years old. Sue Grafton explains prior to the novel's start that for Kinsey, time moves slower, but at no fault of her own. Grafton says that A is for Alibi began in May 1982, B is for Burglar takes place in June 1982, and C is for Corpse is in August 1982 and so on bringing us to May 1986.

In this novel, Kinsey Millhone receives a phone call from a stranger, claiming he has a box salvaged from storage with her mementos i
Susan
My 5-star rating may be based a bit on being so happy to reconnect with my fictional “friend” Kinsey. It’s been almost a year in my time, but still it’s May 1986 in “Kinsey time” as far as I can figure. So…she is still 36. Her birthday is later this month – unless I’ve lost a year, that is. (True to Grafton’s usual timetable, “O” was published in 1999, a year after “N.”)

Kinsey still uses notecards to organize her case ideas and pay phones when she needs a contact out in the field. Interestingly,
John Mchugh
My first Sue Grafton mystery novel. Well crafted. Not heartfelt. Good airplane, beach reading for me. Will try 1 or 2 more as time goes by. She's a keen observer and here and there analogies that really illuminate. A likable main character leads the parade. Other colorful characters. Engaging, but not a book you just can't put down.
RebeccaS
Phew thank goodness this book is much better than the last one! There was a small streak of Kinsey books I didn't like as much, but this one reminded me why I love this series. I was completely intrigued by this mystery that she got caught up in. This story did a great job of giving us glimpses of Kinsey's personal past, bringing back people from her pre-PI life. I also appreciate they way "bad" characters and "good" characters are really portrayed as both, and nothing is black and white. I love ...more
Shannon
Just got this from the library so I'll be bombing through the next 3 books thanks to short due dates on the P & Q!

Hmm, 3.5 stars, and that's partly because I'm not impressed with some of the audiobook changes - it starts and ends with music in the background (lame music, which is distracting - I really don't like that option) and they've changed narrators - the new one is good, but I'm quite fond of the previous narrator and so it's startling to have new voices for the different characters.

I
Pat
Another great Kinsey outing, from the hilarious scene when she crawls in the dong'd door to the chilling, shocking final sentence. this may be the most introspective we've ever seen Our Heroine, as she contemplates her marriage to Mickey and regrets her betrayal of him. As always, Kinsey's disdain and utter contempt for the rich--with whom she invariably is forced to rub elbows--shines through with humor. Less characters become important (like Duffy and the landlady sisters) . Even though we kno ...more
notgettingenough
I know, I know. It's just a detective book and you read it and move on. You don't review them.

But I really want to say a few words here. Grafton is such a terrific writer, her formula is a complete winner. She gets away with being, if you ask me, thin on plot.

Kinsey is cynical in the most attractive of ways and about everybody: men, women, rich, poor. She couldn't give a damn about clothes, looks, what people think of her. Her observations about life make you nod and smile all the way through.

Ro
Chrystal Phillips
Another fun adventure with Kinsey Milhone! This specific case was of a more personal nature for Kinsey and brings up some unresolved 'stuff' from her first marriage. It is interesting and kind of tells you a little more about our favorite PI. Was a good read.
Anne
Woohooo.....working my way through the alphabet...loving it!!!! Another good read!!
Em
Jan 01, 2015 Em rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: mystery
Duncan Mandel
SUMMARY: Wise-cracking, staunchly independent, and chronically curious, Grafton's gritty gumshoe Kinsey Millhone is back. This time, the alphabet series star will take on the toughest case to date: her past. What begins as a random phone call from a "storage space scavenger" (someone who buys the contents of defaulted storage units) leads Kinsey to a box of old papers and personal effects that her ex-husband, Mickey Magruder, left behind. Inside, she finds a 15-year-old unsent letter from a bart ...more
Trina
Loved this one. Never get tired of Kinsey's escapades. This time, the case is more personal, and we get a chance to find out more about the first guy she married. The set-up is a little too elaborate (forced) for my taste, but the unraveling is satisfactory as always. Not reading these mysteries in any particular order - since Kinsey remains in the 1980s throughout the series, it's no big deal. Nevertheless, her character continues to deepen if not grow.
Trish
The next in the Kinsey Millhone series and it starts off grabbing your interest and keeps it the entire way through the book. Kinsey has her quirks and her own sort of code that can still surprise me from time to time. Excited to be rereading this series and think it really stands the test of time. Recommend.
Steve
3.5 stars. It was in fact pretty good, but it took a while to get going, and the fact that there were two separate storylines going on, which you expected to grow a connection and then get tied up in a neat bow, but that didn't happen, which sort of rankled. It was well-written, and it was great to get a look at Kinsey's past, and to see her experiences and what made her tick.
David
I love this entire series. I do them mostly in audio so I had to come back to this one as an unabridged version wasn't available back in the day.
Amy Valley
This is another excellent installment in a wonderful mystery series. There is a great misdirection in the plot, that creates a great twist- I always like being fooled! Also, we learn a lot about Kinsey's first marriage. Really enjoyed this book!
Rebecca
Kinsey kills it again

I started this series with v is for vengeance, not knowing that it was a series. I promptly started with a is for alibi after that and have loved every single one of the series.
Laurie
Most people didn't like this one as much but the one thing I was missing from the Kinsey Millhone series was knowing more about Kinsey and this book delivers. This story is about her second husband and the mistakes she made and how she goes around trying to make them right in her normal PI way.
The Women's Myste...: O is for Outlaw 1 3 Aug 09, 2013 09:29PM
  • A Wild and Lonely Place
  • Bitter Medicine (V.I. Warshawski, #4)
  • The Grilling Season (A Goldy Bear Culinary Mystery, #7)
  • The Singing Of The Dead (Kate Shugak, #11)
Connect with Sue herself on Facebook! www.facebook.com/suegrafton

Received the Shamus Award, "The Eye" (Lifetime achievement award) in 2003.

Family History:

Father: C.W. Grafton, born 1909, third son of Presbyterian Missionaries, born and raised in China, educated Presbyterian College, Clinton, South Carolina; practicing attorney in Louisville, Kentucky with a 40-year specialty in municipal bonds. Au
More about Sue Grafton...

Kinsey Millhone (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • A is for Alibi (Kinsey Millhone, #1)
  • B is for Burglar  (Kinsey Millhone, #2)
  • C is for Corpse  (Kinsey Millhone, #3)
  • D is for Deadbeat (Kinsey Millhone, #4)
  • E is for Evidence (Kinsey Millhone, #5)
  • F is for Fugitive (Kinsey Millhone, #6)
  • G is for Gumshoe  (Kinsey Millhone, #7)
  • H is for Homicide (Kinsey Millhone, #8)
  • I is for Innocent (Kinsey Millhone, #9)
  • J is for Judgment (Kinsey Millhone, #10)
A is for Alibi (Kinsey Millhone, #1) M is for Malice (Kinsey Millhone, #13) J is for Judgment (Kinsey Millhone, #10) K is for Killer (Kinsey Millhone, #11) B is for Burglar  (Kinsey Millhone, #2)

“So much of the past in encapsulated in the odds and ends. Most of us discard more information about ourselves than we ever care to preserve. Our recollection of the past is not simply distorted by our faulty perception of events remembered but skewed by those forgotten. The memory is like twin orbiting stars, one visible, one dark, the trajectory of what's evident forever affected by the gravity of what's concealed.” 8 likes
“The Latin term pro bono, as most attorneys will attest, roughly translated means for boneheads and applies to work done without charge.” 3 likes