Start by marking “Afterzen: Experiences of a Zen Student Out on His Ear” as Want to Read:
Afterzen: Experiences of a Zen Student Out on His Ear

Afterzen: Experiences of a Zen Student Out on His Ear

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  102 ratings  ·  8 reviews
In Afterzen, van de Wetering provides unorthodox solutions to a collection of classical koans found in Walter Nowick's The Wisteria Triangle. Van de Wetering gives them his own distinctive touch of humor, down to earth reality, and tough spirituality in the context of meeting and adventures with personalities "collaged from bits and pieces of teachers and fellow students w ...more
Published March 8th 2001 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published June 1st 1999)

Z
"Besides," I protested, "linking insight to a nationality or a race is silly. Pure being is everywhere, even in me, and I am Dutch, for God's sake. Can you imagine?"

All 3 of van de Wetering's Zen books now feature among my all-time favourites, especially Afterzen, in which he winds up the story of his experiences with Zen. Always honest and hilarious, he describes his own frustration and failures, the seemingly inevitable discovery that his former gurus and teachers were all-too-human, yet emer
Merrikay
I've read a couple of other books by this author and liked them a lot. I was cranky when I started this one and did not like it. As I read on or my mood improved, not sure which, or perhaps it was my understanding. I liked it more. Yes - my understanding increased. It is a memoir of his experiences after leaving the "serious" study of Zen in Japan and moving to the U.S. He is Dutch which added more interest for me. He writes each chapter round a koan, those nasty little things that annoy the he ...more
Rickeclectic
Dec 13, 2008 Rickeclectic rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Folks interested in Zen, Japan or Van de Wetering
Shelves: about-meaning
Van de Wetering's later book about doing Zen. Like the early one, when he was first getting into zen, this one focuses on the reality of doing zen. He gives away trade secrets about zen, like the "answers" to some Koans. More importantly, he tries to get past the superficial mysticism of zen and the notion that somehow zen will cure all your spiritual ills. He is not anti-zen, but he is a zen "realist."
Ellen Johnson
more a series of essays but with recurring characters of Sensei, Roshi, Baba, and other disciples. I really liked it at first, but it became somewhat tiresome and repetitive. only natural that the essays should become like the koans, all telling the same story that there is nothing. nothing doesn't provide much fodder for a book, though. Love his attitude and humor.
Judith
This is the last book of Weterings trilogy regarding his experience with Zen buddhism. It is clear that the author could not come to terms with the sometimes eccentric style of education of his different teachers over the years. The book is mostly a chronicle of the darker side of Weterings quest to find the meaning of life.
Steve Wilson
After such rigorous Zen training, it was refreshing to read about how this Dutch author re-integrated into everyday life. He takes away a lot of the mystique that gets built up around Eastern religious training. I have absolutely no desire to go spend time in a monastery after reading this book!
Ruth
This guy had quite an interesting life and this is the final volume. It gives you something to think about in regards to the meaning of life and some insight to Buddhism.
Davin
Mar 06, 2007 Davin rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: zen
The less fun, but no less interesting, fallout of his Zen experiences.
Barbc
Barbc added it
Mar 13, 2015
Ryan Kovacsik
Ryan Kovacsik marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2015
Judith Schneider
Judith Schneider marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
Saul
Saul added it
Jan 20, 2015
Regina Hart
Regina Hart marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2015
Justin Betterton
Justin Betterton marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2014
Full Circle
Full Circle marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2014
bbyrd
bbyrd marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2014
Ivan
Ivan marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2014
Elise
Elise added it
Nov 03, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
The Empty Mirror: Experiences in a Japanese Zen Monastery Outsider in Amsterdam (Grijpstra & de Gier Mystery #1) The Corpse on the Dike Tumbleweed A Glimpse of Nothingness: Experiences in an American Zen Community