Rewind

Rewind

3.44 of 5 stars 3.44  ·  rating details  ·  267 ratings  ·  21 reviews
When Peter is hit by a car, he is given the ultimate do-over: go back to any point in time before that fateful moment, and alter the events leading up to his death. If he fails, he will die again--this time, for good. Now Peter's racing against time to save his own life, but what should he change? His adoptive parents don't understand him, the school jock is out to get him...more
Published February 19th 2001 by Puffin (first published July 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Rewind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rewind

Katara Belmer
Feb 24, 2014 Katara Belmer marked it as to-read
Whitney
Not only is Rewind short, it's also meant for preteens and younger adults. With that in mind, I won't judge this book by the same high standards of writing that I judge other YA novels by. That being said, I still enjoyed this book even though I'm not in the target age group.

Peter is a normal boy who doesn't like math or sports, but loves drawing. One day he is hit by a car and dies. There is hope for him yet, because a mysterious voice gives Peter the option of going back in time to any date he...more
Bobby
This is a very creative book that shows readers that permanent solutions are much more difficult, yet rewarding than quick fixes. Sleator has done a good job of discussing these difficult issues in a manner that is accessible and relatable.
Kaitlin

Rewind by William Sleator is a book about a kid, Peter, who dies in a car crash, hit after running out from an argument with his mother and his father, after fighting, the tension breaking after he found out he was adopted. Some great figure gives him a second chance to possibly change his past-- and live again. But he can't simply try to be better, he has to go deeper.

In this book, Peter says something about to write something good, you have to combine reality with fantasy. Fantasy so it gives

Ross
Another interesting and fun YA tale from William Sleator. 11-year-old Peter is killed by a car when he runs out into the street without looking. After he dies, he learns he has a chance to go back in time and try to change the events that led up to his death. Through trial and error, he begins to learn that just trying to change the people and circumstances around him will not forestall death if he does not also change himself.

Told from the viewpoint of a smart-but-naive pre-teen, this book real...more
Lauren Kinney
The concept of the novel was interesting, but I found the characters one-dimensional. I especially found the parents and the main character's relationship with them to be unrealistic, and that was pretty central to the story. There were some elements of the plot that I found so inconsistent as to jar me out of the story, especially that the main character was supposed to have only 12 hours to alter the course of his life, yet each time he went back, he stayed for longer, and the last time for we...more
Adam
When I picked this off the shelf, I misjudged the age group of this novel. This is more of a preteen novel, but when I started to read this I thought it was really great and I could see how many young kids could get into this and like it quite a bit!

I read it in about an hour and a half, but I have to say, I kept me engaged. Plus I really like the morals and lessons that stem from this book, including messages of love, acceptance, and willingness to change for the better.

All in all, really good...more
Melissa
Decent read. I liked the idea of this kid being given the chance to prevent his own death. I also like how he was able to say the ways that a change in his own attitude and behavior could influence others. His ability to read the future seemed a bit of an odd distraction from Peter's main problems. It seems a bit unbelievable that everyone would just forget about his prophetic abilities after the issue of his death is resolved.
John Halladay
Jun 04, 2007 John Halladay rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who enjoy thoughts

I'm only part-way through this book . . . but I'm vastly pleased with it so far.
The writing brings to mind Nancy Kress' earlier work, and the plot has elements of Carl Sagan's "Contact" (which is, in fact, mentioned in this book.)
It is an interesting intellectual exercise to confront some of the questions raised in the book . . . and see how the author's characters solve them.
Nisha Coney
I Love pretty much all books by William Sleator, and this one looked very interesting, so I had to try it! This book is pretty short. It only took 1 hour to read. It starts out good in the beginning, but it gets a little boring//dull when you get farther into it. But overall I liked it. I would recomend it if you're looking for a good, quick, read.
Gbe
Jan 16, 2014 Gbe added it
Shelves: kindle
Ok
Cassie
Omar Al-Muhaidib
بدأت بقراءة القصة لأجل تطوير لغتي الانجليزية

تدور أحداث القصة حول الطفل الذي عاد الى الحياة عدة مرات ليغير سلوكة الى الافضل .. حيث كان يصنع الدمية التي لم تعجب والداه اطلاقا

تكررت كلمة الدمية كثير جدا جدا جدا.. حيث انني بدأت اقلب الصفحات بحثا عن النهاية..
Sue
I never know what is going to happen in William Sleator's books. I enjoyed seeing where he took the characters. Don't want to say anything or it would give the book away :)
Kate
I picked this up out of the makeshift "library" at the residential treatment center for boys where I was working. Interesting premise.
Michelle
William Sleator is an excellent author, and this is yet another one of his excellent books.
Nicole
The repitition got to be too much. Also intended for middle graders.
Kate Hastings
Nov 13, 2007 Kate Hastings rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Grades 7-10
Shelves: scifi
A teenage boy can re-do past events by manipulating dimensional time.
Kate Brown
Excellent high-interest book. Fast read!
Ethan W
Fantasy/Non-Fiction

Q2
Jocelyn
This book was alright.
Keisha Lockett
Keisha Lockett marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
Ramona
Ramona marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2014
J-pod
J-pod added it
Aug 06, 2014
Kelly Hankins
Kelly Hankins marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2014
Emily
Emily added it
Jul 30, 2014
  • S.T.O.R.M.: The Infinity Code (S.T.O.R.M., #1)
  • The Taking of Room 114
  • The Stranger
  • The Curse of the Romanovs
  • Crater (Helium-3, #1)
  • Mysterium
  • The Convicts (Curse of the Jolly Stone, #1)
  • Angela and Diabola
  • Spies and Lies (Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys: Super Mystery, #13)
  • Crusader
  • Painting the Black
  • Shock Point
  • Chester Alan Arthur (The American Presidents, #21)
William Warner Sleator III was born in Havre de Grace, Maryland on February 13, 1945, and moved to St. Louis, MO when he was three. He graduated from University City High School in 1963, from Harvard in 1967 with BAs in music and English.

For more than thirty years, William Sleator thrilled readers with his inventive books. His House of Stairs was named one of the best novels of the twentieth cent...more
More about William Sleator...
House of Stairs Interstellar Pig (Interstellar Pig #1) The Boy Who Couldn't Die Singularity The Boy Who Reversed Himself