Start by marking “Big Anthony and the Magic Ring” as Want to Read:
Big Anthony and the Magic Ring

Big Anthony and the Magic Ring (Strega Nona #2)

In this sequel to Caldecott Honor winner Strega Nona, “Big Anthony romps through a case of spring fever with an ill-gotten magic ring, against the architectural background and blue skies of la bella Italia.”--Booklist
Published April 25th 1979 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 1979)

To ask other readers questions about Big Anthony and the Magic Ring, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Big Anthony and the Magic Ring

Ronyell
I have been reading the “Strega Nona” series ever since I was a child and I have enjoyed the series ever since! Now, I have read the sequel to “Strega Nona,” “Big Anthony and the Magic Ring” by Tomie dePaola and it is just as hilarious as the first book! In this tale, Big Anthony gets into big trouble when he messes with Strega Nona's magic ring in order to have a little night life! “Big Anthony and the Magic Ring” is an instant treat for children young and old!

Oh my goodness! I never would have
Andrea
Jul 11, 2016 Andrea added it
Shelves: author-study
This sequel to "Strega Nona" and "Big Anthony: His Story" continues to portray Big Anthony in a light that beams on his mischievousness, disobedience and curiosity that tangles him up in another episode. It all begins when Strega Nona recommends Big Anthony to partake in the nightlife in order to get him out of his spring slump and perk up his mood. Big Anthony gazes with admiration as Strega Nona is transformed into a beautiful, young woman to enjoy the nightlife in town after putting on a gold ...more
Jaylyn
Feb 25, 2015 Jaylyn rated it it was ok
Personal Reaction- Big Anthony and the Magic Ring is an interesting book that is a fun story but not much substance. A longer book that would be fun for breaks in the classroom.

Purposes:
This would be for a 1st grade classroom. As I stated before, I believe this would be a fun story to read during breaks in the day, a fun story about magic and a young man and woman. It is in a small town and the young man, Big Anthony, starts to not feel like himself and the story goes from there. The vocabulary
Dolly
Jan 17, 2010 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, italy, 2010
We really love Tomie dePaola's books and this is a fun story. Big Anthony gets into trouble (again!) and has a little fun in the meantime. It's a fairly long story, so I would recommend it for Kindergarteners and up. Younger children might lose interest. We enjoy reading about these characters and Mr. dePaola's inimitable illustrations are fun too.
May 27, 2009 Laura rated it liked it
This was a fairly entertaining read. I enjoyed seeing what kind of trouble Big Anthony would get himself into and how Strega Nona would save him...once again. I would recommend.

*Taken from my book reviews blog: http://reviewsatmse.blogspot.com/2009...
Patricia
Jan 04, 2014 Patricia rated it really liked it
Oh, Big Anthony! Big Anthony has a big ego! Don't we all, though? Not all that interested in Bambolona, the baker's daughter, he "borrows" Strega Nona's magic gold ring to become more handsome and desirable to the women of the village. Their attention, though, starts to scare him and he needs Strega Nona's help--yet again--to put everything right again. I love how Strega Nona reminds Big Anthony, and us, "There are other kinds of magic in the spring."

Magic rings, love in the spring, and OLIVE OI
Lynne Marie
Apr 18, 2016 Lynne Marie rated it really liked it
I like this because it employed both folktales and more modern emphasized techniques
QNPoohBear
Apr 13, 2014 QNPoohBear rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: picture-book
We just loved this series growing up as Strega Nonna reminded us of our Nonnie. I think this one is my most favorite. It remains in circulation in our home library and is now being read to another generation. We had an audio book of some of the stories and I can still hear the woman's voice in my head. I love Big Anthony. He's such a goofball and so um not bright, you just have to love him. The lesson, delivered by the always kind Strega Nonna, is simple and sweet.
Maritza Mejia
Apr 12, 2016 Maritza Mejia rated it really liked it
Big Anthony and the Magic Ring is the sequel to Caldecott Honor winner Strega Nona.
In this tale, Big Anthony gets into trouble when he tries to have a little night life with Strega Nona's magic ring. At the end he learns that he should be happy with himself and promises Strega Nona not to use magic again.
I left an open question to my third grade class today:
Do you think Big Anthony would be able to keep his promise to Strega Nona?
Marie Willis
8 year old's rating.
Jessalyn Cipriano
"Big Anthony and the Magic Ring" is the tale about Anthony's grandma putting on a magic ring to turn into a young, beautiful woman that goes out dancing in the town at night. Anthony steals the ring and learns he should be more careful about what he wishes for when all of the women in the town are after him since he is so handsome. He learns that he should be happy with himself and learns he can get what he wants as himself.
Josiah
Jan 20, 2010 Josiah rated it did not like it
This first sequel to the much-loved Strega Nona is sure to please any young reader who enjoyed the complications arising from Big Anthony's failure to follow the rules in the first book, and who are hungry for another adventure in the same vein. Tomie dePaola brings his unique drawings and text, and all we have to do is bring the kids to it.
Benjamin Elliott
May 24, 2016 Benjamin Elliott rated it really liked it
Like the first book, Anthony goes and abuses Strega Nona's magic without fully understanding it and causes a big mess, this time just for himself. At the end, Strega Nona is able to fix it, and everything ends up fine. This time, there's an interesting discussion about love and attraction thrown in that raises some interesting questions.
Judy
Jul 27, 2016 Judy rated it really liked it
Shelves: pic-books
Once again dePaola has given us a fun tale of Strega Nona and Big Anthony. A little fairy tale. A little Italian culture. A little about human frailties.
mara pina
May 15, 2012 mara pina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Granted I'm partial to the Stream Nona books, but there's a reason for that.

Big Anthony gets into trouble yet again, this time making himself the desire of every woman in the village. And he discovers that it's not as great as he thought it would be.

Charming as always, I loved it.
Izlinda
Feb 06, 2010 Izlinda rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
I read this book while sitting in the public library. First time I ever sat in the children's section in the new public library. It was really nice. :)

As a person in her twenties, I'm not sure how the targeted audience would react, but I found the book greatly amusing.
Carol Hardesty
Jun 30, 2012 Carol Hardesty rated it really liked it
This was one of my favorite "Strega Nona" books. Big Anthony's just this lovable loser who's always getting into trouble. And it's hilarious when - after making himself handsome - all the village women chase after him and call him a "handsome devil". :D Definitely worth a read.
Polly
Loved this as a child, but we never owned it, so it remained a loved but unseen favourite for many years, until I smartened up and acquired a copy as an adult!
Kim
Oct 28, 2012 Kim rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Definitely one of the funnier Strega Nona stories. Big Anthony will never learn. Full of humor and fun.

themes: appearance, magic, ring
Jun 20, 2007 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: 3-5 year-olds
Shelves: picturebooks
Great read! Very funny--although I like this book more than Jacko, mostly because I love Bombalona with the five loaves of bread on her head.
Theresa
Aug 24, 2011 Theresa rated it liked it
Shelves: review
big anthony learns a lesson of asking what you wish for
learning that wishing for something may not give you what you want
Alana
Jun 08, 2010 Alana rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
This one cracks me up! From Doofus to Stud, Big Anthony messes with Strega Nona's magic again!
Hazel
Aug 04, 2011 Hazel rated it it was amazing
Tomie dePaola writes beautiful stories and has amazing pictures to go with them.
Lisa
May 29, 2008 Lisa rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Kids and parents.
Recommended to Lisa by: A favorite childhood author.
Shelves: kidsbooks
I love this series. You can tell the author/illustrator really loves kids.
Rachel
Aug 18, 2013 Rachel rated it really liked it
If you enjoy the Strega Nona series, this does not disappoint!
Luann Kern
Jan 09, 2012 Luann Kern rated it it was amazing
What's not to love about any Tomie dePaola book?!
Ame
May 24, 2012 Ame rated it really liked it
charming, classic Tomie dePaola!
Meredith Henning
Mar 10, 2008 Meredith Henning rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
Hysterical!
Carli
Carli added it
Sep 19, 2016
Bre Graham
Bre Graham marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2016
  • Sleeping Ugly
  • Liza Lou and the Yeller Belly Swamp
  • Ming Lo Moves the Mountain
  • I Hate English!
Tomie dePaola (pronounced Tommy da-POW-la) is best known for his books for children.
He's been published for 40 years and has written and/or illustrated over 200 books, including 26 Fairmount Avenue, Strega Nona, and Meet the Barkers.
Tomie dePaola and his work have been recognized with the Caldecott Honor Award, the Newbery Honor Award and the New Hampshire Governor's Arts Award of Living Treasure.
More about Tomie dePaola...

Strega Nona (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Strega Nona