Start by marking “The Christian Ministry” as Want to Read:
The Christian Ministry

The Christian Ministry

4.25 of 5 stars 4.25  ·  rating details  ·  80 ratings  ·  15 reviews
One of the best and most comprehensive books ever written on the work of the ministry.
Published August 1st 1981 by Banner of Truth (first published 1830)

To ask other readers questions about The Christian Ministry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Christian Ministry

Brian
The Christian Ministry by Charles Bridges is simply one of the most powerful books I've ever read. Virtually every page was helpful. Bridges' book is a theological and practical expose' on what it means to be a Christian pastor and preacher. It is significant that a book this old (1849) is still incredibly relevant. There are five parts to the book - let me give a quick run-down of each.

I. In part one, Bridges covers the origin, institution, dignity, use, necessity, trials, difficulties, comfort
Peter N.
There were several sections of this book I found particularly convicting. Bridges does not mention much about liturgy or the Sacraments. So if you are looking for that this not your book. But that is where I have done a lot of reading. So it was not that necessary for me. But he does bring up things like laziness, hypocrisy, want of zeal and failure in family life. The chapter on "Preparation for the Christian Ministry" especially the section on study habits was like a knife in my soul. How many ...more
Pete Williamson
going through this again with a fellow pastor in town. there are few books on pastoral ministry that are as provocative and soul-searching as this.
Timothy Fluegge
Any book about Christian ministry written by someone from the Church of England is going to be faulty at least in part because of the author's ecclesiology. On top of that, portions of the book contain a great deal of contemporary material that eludes the modern reader. Finally this kindle edition is lacking in quality; the table of contents only covers half the book and the last 20% of the text is inexplicably in bold font.

This book gets marked down for the above shortcomings, but it is nonethe
Matthew Robbins
Easily the best book on pastoral ministry I've ever read. A wealth of wisdom and insight into what the Bible portrays as the Christian pastor. Will be coming back to this numerous times in the future, I'm sure.
Joshua
An outstanding book on pastoral ministry. It not only provides insight into the ministry but also ask questions that are as relevant today as the day it was written. Very thankful for this gift from a pastor friend.
Larry Gales
A very convicting book in regards to the Christian Ministry, and the Christian Minister. Very, very good! A book that is worth reading on a yearly basis.
Jerry
This classic is simply unparalleled for the minister of the gospel. Although written in 1830, Bridges counsel is timeless! Outstanding!!
Jeff Boettcher
Dated language and examples, but there is a reason this book is a classic. Should be read by every pastor or aspiring pastor.
Michael
This book was exceedingly lengthy, and it would be best used in the future as a source for supplemental education on a particular section. Written by Charles Bridges (Church of England) in the 1800’s, many of the topics are surprisingly appropriate for today’s church. His massive book is divided into four major sections.
The first section discusses the qualifications of ministry, with four steps for the preparation for Christian ministry: developing a habit of general study of the Scriptures, spe
Peter B.
This book was written in 1830 and it can be a little on the wordy side, yet it is filled with much practical and encouraging content. Bridges does not only bring his own understanding of Scripture and his experiences, but also the combined wisdom of many other pastors of the past through generous quotations from their works. He discuses the nature of pastoral ministry (including the preparation for it), causes of failure (external and internal to the pastor), the work of preaching, and the work ...more
Jason Poling
Very profitable read. Dense read (mostly due to writing style from the 1800's), but at the same time this style provided much more meat to chew on than is typically offered in a modern book on ministry. I found much wisdom to highlight on nearly every page. I pray that God will now help me employ that wisdom for the good of His people and the glory of His name!
Chris Comis
I liked it, but it was a bit tedious at times. Bridges was an Anglican minister and so the context for ministry was a bit different, which is somewhat hard to relate to. But still, many important ministerial insights to be gleaned.
Jason
A bracing spiritual tonic for any minister.
Jeff Learned
A absolutely masterful work.
Dustin
Dustin marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
Andy Jaspers
Andy Jaspers marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2015
Jason Chambers
Jason Chambers marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2015
Jessica Fulk
Jessica Fulk marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2015
Owen
Owen marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2015
Lance
Lance marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2015
Justin Merth
Justin Merth marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2015
Garrett Shirey
Garrett Shirey is currently reading it
Feb 25, 2015
Joseph Grigoletti
Joseph Grigoletti marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Reformed Pastor
  • A Body of Divinity: Contained in Sermons upon the Westminster Assembly's Catechism
  • Precious Remedies Against Satan's Devices
  • What Is a Healthy Church?
  • The Shepherd Leader, Achieving Effective Shepherding in Your Church
  • Brothers, We Are Not Professionals: A Plea to Pastors for Radical Ministry
  • Preaching and Preachers
  • George Whitefield: The Life and Times of the Great Evangelist of the Eighteenth-Century Revival - Volume I
  • On Being a Pastor: Understanding Our Calling and Work
  • Between Two Worlds: The Challenge of Preaching Today
  • Pastoral Ministry: How to Shepherd Biblically
  • The Cross and Christian Ministry: Leadership Lessons from 1 Corinthians
  • Evangelism: How the Whole Church Speaks of Jesus
Psalm 119 Proverbs (Geneva) (Geneva S) Ecclesiastes (Geneva) (Geneva) Myocardial Laser Revascularization A memoir of Miss Mary Jane Graham

“It is not easy to overcome our natural love of ease, our indisposition to self-denying devotedness, and our false tenderness in flinching from the declaration of unpalatable truths.” 1 likes
“Except we realize a high estimation of the Church, the constraining influence of the Saviour's love, and the upholding prop of Almighty grace, what is there to preserve us from sinking in despondency?” 0 likes