Start by marking “Bras & Broomsticks (Magic in Manhattan, #1)” as Want to Read:
Bras & Broomsticks (Magic in Manhattan, #1)

Bras & Broomsticks (Magic in Manhattan #1)

3.72  ·  Rating Details  ·  8,116 Ratings  ·  541 Reviews
What if all your wishes could come true? Blink your eyes, drink a fizzing pink potion, and poof! Life is perfect. That’s Rachel’s situation. Except she’s not the one who suddenly has magical powers. Her younger sister is. And as Rachel would tell you, spellbooks are wasted on the young!

Yes, yes, of course world peace and cures for horrible diseases are important. But so is
Published June 13th 2006 by Delacorte Press (first published 2005)

Shiver by Maggie StiefvaterHush, Hush by Becca FitzpatrickSpeak by Laurie Halse AndersonCity of Bones by Cassandra ClareEvermore by Alyson Noel
YA Novels by Goodreads Authors
104th out of 1,551 books — 2,885 voters
Harry Potter Boxset by J.K. RowlingThe Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsThe Twilight Saga by Stephenie MeyerThe Mortal Instruments Boxed Set by Cassandra ClareVampire Academy Collection by Richelle Mead
Series Reading List
131st out of 1,277 books — 3,149 voters

More lists with this book...

Arlene
Jan 12, 2011 Arlene rated it did not like it
Not bad.. just not for me...

Can't seem to connect with the MC and her narrative is not working for me. I loved Mlynowski's book Gimme a Call, but this one is just not my style.

Sorry....

(Note: Did not finish this book. Got to the point where Rachel is plotting to break up her dad's impending wedding with the STBSM by using her sister's new found powers as a witch, and she's also contemplating on how else she can benefit from this situation.)
Simran
Feb 10, 2009 Simran rated it it was amazing
AWESOME!!!!! So interesting so AWESOME!!!!!!

u guys gotta read it! (NOW!!!)
Mara
The only thing that gets this book two stars is that, rather than sticking to the done-before theme of teenager-suddenly-finds-out-she's-a-witch, Mlynowski switches things up a bit and gives us teenager-suddenly-finds-out-that-her-younger-sister-(and her mother)-is-a-witch.

Why did the magical powers skip Rachel, and go straight to her younger sister, Miri? Her mother explains that it could be because Miri is more mature than her older sister. Rachel demonstrates her lack of maturity throughout t
Arminzerella
You’ve heard this all before – self-absorbed teen girl wants desperately to be A-list, finds a way to get in with that group, starts treating her other friends and family like crap because she must maintain her status or die. Lots of conniving and manipulation and lies, then it all falls apart, girl left with only her wits and a lot of apologies to make all around. Ends abruptly.

That was the general plot line. Except that there's witchcraft. I can’t STAND to read things like this. I know that ba
Alison Lin
Jan 27, 2010 Alison Lin rated it liked it
Rachel is the main character in this book. it is told in a first person perspective. Miri, Rachel's sister just figured out that she is a witch. Rachel also figured out that her mom was a witch but never told anyone about it. Rachel and Miri tried to get STB(Soon-to-be-step-mother) to say that she hates them and her dad with the truth spell but it didn't work. All she said was how much she loved her dad and the sisters. I think that this book is similar to another book i read which is called Tr ...more
♡Tinja♡
Pretty immature but I still kinda liked it.
Angela
This book is an insult to every witch series involving teenagers that has ever existed.

Typical book involving teenagers being told not to do something, doing it anyway, and not caring about the consequences. Rachel is the most shallow, selfish character I've ever had the misfortune to read about. Her mind is nowhere I ever want to be again.

Such a waste of a potentially interesting idea.
Erin
Jul 26, 2012 Erin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
First off I have to start by saying that Sarah Mlynowski is a genious. I have read many books of hers in the past, though most of them have been her women's fiction, this was my first YA novel of hers and even though I rated it at 3 stars, I still really enjoyed it, but I think it lacked in a few aspects.

I thought this book started off great. The characters in this story are awesome. I really liked Rachel as the main character and Miri is quite possibly the coolest young witch around. I even lov
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Me for TeensReadToo.com

Being fourteen is hard work--and nobody knows that better than Rache Weinstein. She's got a major crush on the two most popular guys in school, Raf and Mick; she's been dumped by her best friend since preschool, Jewel, and instead has hooked up with not-so-popular Tammy; she's got the rhythm of a baboon and so didn't get to audition for her school's all-important fashion show; she's a quasi B-lister instead of a coveted A-lister; her dad is getting ready to mar
Jessica
Jun 14, 2015 Jessica rated it really liked it
What a humorous book! I don't know if I was supposed to find this book as funny as I did, but I laughed so often, I'm sure my family thought I was crazy!
Rachel & Miri get into such trouble trying spells when they're not supposed to and the side effects they see are just hilarious. The fact that these girls are quite young and navigating this new world (although Rachel is doing it though Miri) made it even more funny because the problems they saw as so big were not nearly so big.
I did think t
Isabella
Jul 25, 2013 Isabella rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes I ask myself why I like Sarah mlynowskis books. Because I do. I like them A LOT. It's not as I can identify with the main character. She's often a girl who doesn't overthink like I tend to do, who's rather confident and very much of a teenage girl stereotype. She knows she looks good , she's incredibly selfish and she's ready for fun.
Which is not me at all. If anything I'm more like Miri.

But I do like them. Oh god do I like them. Maybe because they're different from me. Probably becau
Bethany Miller

Bras & Broomsticks by Sarah Mylnowski hilariously blends the supernatural with the realities of the popularity contest that is present in every high school. Rachel can't believe her luck when she finds out that her little sister Miri is a witch. Though she's miffed that her little sister inherited this power from their mother and she did not, she quickly thinks of ways that she can use her sister’s power to her own advantage. Primarily, she wants to become more popular and get Raf,
Jessica
Jun 11, 2015 Jessica rated it really liked it
This is honestly one of the funnier books I have read, granted I read it when I 13 or 14 but to this day I still use Rachel's saying of "Yahoo to the power of two!" I knew this book wasn't the next great American novel- it's a silly fast read so to expect more is foolish.

Rachel bothered me at times but the laughs that I had while reading the whole series made it all worth while! So my suggestion would be if your looking for a light silly read try it! If not look else where!
Lucille
Jun 28, 2009 Lucille rated it it was ok
Shelves: young-adult
In one word, the plot was tired. This book has been done so many times, with so many variations of the one simple plot structure: Girl is a loser. Girl finds a way to make herself not a loser with careful scheming and manipulation. Girl drops her true friends for popularity. Everything fails miserably in the end. Girl's new life falls to pieces. Old friends are nice and come back to her in the end.
The only twist on this old story was the magical aspect, and even that didn't really make it all t
Emily Hunholz
I have never disliked a narrator more than I disliked Rachel, the whiney, self-absorbed, superficial teenager who finds out that her sister Miri is a witch. Rachel convinces her sister to use magic to improve her own life, and surprise, surprise, everything gets messed up. Because of Rachel’s selfishness, she dumps her best friend and sabotages her dad’s wedding. Every time she hurts someone else, she has an excuse for why it’s okay. I found myself hoping for bad things to happen to Rachel, and ...more
Amalie
Nov 27, 2014 Amalie rated it really liked it
I read these books when I was younger and I had totally forgotten how much fun they are! Rachel must be, without any doubt, the most selfish girl ever - But she does indeed have some hilarious thoughts about her life, boys and her friends - Such a great book, can't wait to read the rest the books!!
Juniper Shore
I've heard that kids like to read books about older kids, but with a narrator they can still relate to. That's good, because Bras and Broomsticks is a middle-school book about a high school freshman who ought to be demoted to second grade for lack of self-control.

Our heroine, Rachel Weinstein, is shallow. That's all you need to know because frankly, that's all she is. She would be out of her depth on a damp countertop. You can't peer beneath the surface without breaking your nose. All the way th
Weronika
Sep 08, 2014 Weronika rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This review was originally posted on my blog LoveThyBook

Sarah seems like such a fun and nice person, she has written many YA books, ones I have never heard of till now, but I already ordered some more because I just like how simple and fun they are.

As I write this review I am watching Sabrina the Teenage Witch, because I just need to satisfy my younger inner self at the moment, and my weird interest in witchcraft. I loved this show, and this book really reminded me of it, mostly just because of
Ian Wood
This is the complete review as it appears at my blog dedicated to reading, writing (no 'rithmatic!), movies, & TV. Blog reviews often contain links which are not reproduced here, nor will updates or modifications to the blog review be replicated here.

I was going to rate this warty, but my son overruled me! He claims it's a worthy read!

This audio CD is read by Ariadne Meyers and she does an acceptable job, but is occasionally annoying.

Quite frankly, this one seemed a bit young for me, but I'v
Jessica Ramspeck
May 30, 2014 Jessica Ramspeck rated it it was amazing
Bras and broomsticks starts out with the main character Rachel finding out that her sister and her mom are witches, then the book goes on to explain that her dad is getting remarried to a mean woman with an annoying little girl that Rachel and Miri (her sister) have to accept as their sister. Throughout the book Rachel and Miri try to get their dad and mom back together. This book is so amazing for three reasons, the first one being that it is written from a self obsessed teenagers perspective, ...more
Joanna
Nov 19, 2007 Joanna rated it liked it
I read this book back to back with the sequel. First, the magic in this book actually plays a much smaller role than I expected and seems less creatively handled than I would have liked. Nonetheless, I thought the trick of narrating the story from the sister of the witch rather than the one with powers was clever. Overall, a decent young adult novel, but not great and no especially interesting narrative voice or plot twists.
Vonnie
Jun 06, 2015 Vonnie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
audiobook

I read many mixed reviews about this book. The majority of adults complained that this book was immature. I have to agree, but I found it to be lots of fun. I was surprised on how much I enjoyed this book.

The story was cute and childish. The main character Rachel was 14 years old who was trying to find ways to fit into high school. Like any teen who has just began high school, they become egocentric, wish for absurd things, and complain for the silliest of things. Usually this would ann
Nura
Mar 18, 2015 Nura rated it liked it
Reading challenge #11: A book with magic

Because Rachel’s think life’s not fair, she tricks her sister (whom she thought already well gifted without being a witch) to make her passed the dancing test to become a substitute in the fashion show. Everything seemed brighter for a while when she got accepted and finally made it to the A-list circle. And to put a cherry on top, she’d been asked to go to the Spring Fling by a boy of her dream. The only drawback is her father’s marriage still going on. W
Scribblegirl
Trite, predictable, and with a main character so shallow that if you filled her with water, you couldn't get a puddle out of the deal. Spilled milk has more depth. I weep for the state of teen fiction that this not only got published, it's the first of a multi-book series.
Lisa
Dec 23, 2008 Lisa rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, ya, young_ya
Rachel's little sister, Miri, is a witch. (Apparently it runs in the family - her mom's one too. ) Rachel tries to use this to advantage by having her sister cast spells to break up dad's pending wedding to wicked stop mom, make her popular, and possibly get some boobs.

Weronika
Sep 08, 2014 Weronika rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own, english
This review was originally posted on my blog LoveThyBook

Amy
Jan 16, 2011 Amy rated it liked it
3.5 Stars
A cute, funny book. It got a little frusturating and annoying in the end, but it was still a fun read. I would recommend this book to anyone who wants to read something light.
Becky
Apr 04, 2011 Becky rated it liked it
I read this book in Grade 6 but thought it was pretty boring!! I thought it was just a story that went on and on and nothing happened! I wouldn't recommend this to anyone
Rene
Mar 06, 2016 Rene rated it liked it
Cute, young adult book. Hippy mom, Rachel, freshman in high school and her sister, Miri. Miri discovers she's inherited magic powers from her family. Rachel's jealous at first but helps her sister. Asks sister to remove large pimple and give her ability to dance-preparing her to become popular in time for Spring Fling, dance and fashion show. Carol, mother, intervenes just in time to ruin Rachel's dancing abilities, causing her to bumble through dance and fashion show.
Popularity goes downhill a
Susan
Dec 27, 2013 Susan rated it liked it
Shelves: juvenile
Rachel's younger sister Miri has always been kind of an exceptional sort of younger sibling. She's smart, serious, and levelheaded where Rachel is social, frenetic, and maaaaaybe a little bit superficial. It's really almost like Miri is the eldest--so of course when a magical family secret hits the fan, it's Miri who's the first to discover the secret, and the first to benefit. Any other sister might feel left out, but Rachel quickly seizes Miri's opportunity as a way to help herself out of her ...more
To be I think a little crazy where 1 4 Nov 16, 2015 09:33PM
Q&A with Sarah Ml...: The Magic in Manhattan series 8 48 Jun 08, 2012 12:28PM
  • The Salem Witch Tryouts (Salem Witch, #1)
  • Me, My Elf & I
  • To Wish or Not to Wish (As You Wish, #3)
  • Stealing Princes
  • How to Ditch Your Fairy
  • Temping Fate
  • Stirring Up Trouble (Stirring Up Trouble, #1)
  • Haint Misbehavin'
  • Hex: A Witch and Angel Tale
  • Dumped by Popular Demand (The Social Experiments of Dorie Dilts, #1)
  • All's Fair in Love, War, and High School (Pullman High #2)
  • The Cupid Chronicles (Wedding Planner's Daughter, #2)
  • The Extraordinary Secrets of April, May, & June
  • A Taste for Red
  • The Abhorsen Chronicles (The Abhorsen Trilogy, #1-3)
  • Mates, Dates, and Inflatable Bras (Mates, Dates, #1)
  • A Girl Like Moi (The Fashion-Forward Adventures of Imogene, #1)
Sarah is the author of BRAS & BROOMSTICKS, FROGS & FRENCH KISSES, SPELLS & SLEEPING BAGS and PARTIES & POTIONS—all in the YA ‘Magic in Manhattan’ series, as well as GIMME A CALL and the upcoming TEN THINGS WE DID (AND PROBABLY SHOULDN'T HAVE). Along with Lauren Myracle and E. Lockhart, she also wrote HOW TO BE BAD.

Sarah’s five novels for adults, MILKRUN, FISHBOWL, AS SEEN ON TV, MO
More about Sarah Mlynowski...

Magic in Manhattan (4 books)
  • Frogs & French Kisses (Magic in Manhattan, #2)
  • Spells & Sleeping Bags (Magic in Manhattan, #3)
  • Parties & Potions (Magic in Manhattan, #4)