Start by marking “Katy and the Big Snow” as Want to Read:
Katy and the Big Snow

Virginia Lee Burton

Katy and the Big Snow

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  7,175 ratings  ·  100 reviews

Published January 28th 1971 by Scholastic (first published 1971)

To ask other readers questions about Katy and the Big Snow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Katy and the Big Snow

Chak
I think Virginia Lee Burton is wonderful. Long-winded, but wonderful. I like the ridiculous level of illustration detail in this book (the map of the town is really out-of-control detailed and the story of the humanized snow plow that just keeps going even though she's tired and she doesn't think she can do it. File this under "I think I can" books. Ages 4-7.
K8teebug
One of the only things I've ever found with Katy spelled with a "y". Who cares if I'm a snow plow? I'm a snow plow who saves the day!
Josiah
What a gift Virginia Lee Burton was to the world. Her warm, sincere, hopeful style of writing, even as the characters in her stories come upon hard times and their eventual success is anything but guaranteed, is like nothing else I've ever read. Virginia Lee Burton's characters are long-suffering and gentle, enthusiastic and generous, and in Katy and the Big Snow, we are introduced to an unforgettably doughty protagonist willing to put everything she has on the line to help friends in need. If...more
Katie Daniels
This book is about meeeee!
Mindy
We read this as a part of our "Five in a Row" curriculum and my six year old found it very boring. The four-year-old (at the time) twins really enjoyed it. The illustrations are engaging because Burton places detailed drawings and captions in the margins of the book. There is also an interesting map in the center of the book which contains a key along the margins and many numbers in the map to match up with the key. This book would go well with a map unit for younger children. All in all, the st...more
Relyn
Dec 31, 2010 Relyn rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teachers, parents, kids
Recommended to Relyn by: It's a childhood favorite.
Oh, I am so glad to have reread this book. I hadn't read it in years and it was wonderful. The maps were wonderful and so engaging. The details would appeal to boys and girls. The story is simple and easily accessible. But, the best part about this book is the plans I have for it. I can't wait to use it to teach a few writing mini-lessons. Her use of word placement on the page and in conjunction with pictures will be a great example to my own little book-makers. Can't wait!
Joel  Werley
I'm avoiding putting children's books into my "Read books" (because anything that can be read in 10 minutes shouldn't count towards my grand total in my mind, as if anyone else is checking my stats...), despite the memories of those books being as essential as any literature I've read in my adult years.

However, I've decided that my 3 favorite picture books (excepting obvious classics like "Where the Wild Things Are" that don't need any further recommendations) from my tyke days are too worthy t...more
midnightfaerie
By the author of one of our favorite books, Mike Mulligan and the Steam Shovel! Wanted to try another Burton and she didn't disappoint. My kids loved it. A little lesson about maps and directions with a compass rose and a map of the town. A great social studies lesson as well. All my kids loved this one.
Tiffany
Just okay for me, but my little boy loved reading about the snow plow (Katy) that saves the day. The best part is the illustrations, including a full map of the city where you can track Katy's route through the city as she helps out.
Patrick
Great book for kids. Story keeps them interested and teaches a great lesson about helping others even when the situation is hard. The illustrations are also very good with lots of "stuff" for the young person to look at.
Mary Train
I love this book...classic read aloud that still appeals to children in magical ways. It has the big snowstorm, big vehicles, a hero, a city map...what more could you ask for in kindergarten!
Michael
This is my favoret book of all times. I read it as a kid and I have read it many a time to my daughter.
Wonderful book for a grandmother to read with a two year old grandson who loves to snuggle.
Dwight
Would have loved this book as a kid. So much better than Mike Mulligan and his Steam shovel.
Jeremy
This is a classic Kid's book. I wish I lived in the city of Geopolis.
Kate
Everyone in the family loves this book.
Angie
Synopsis: "Katy, a brave and untiring tractor, who pushes a bulldozer in the summer and a snowplow in the winter, makes it possible for the townspeople to do their jobs.
In 2009, we are celebrating the 100th anniversary of Virginia Lee Burton's birth. As part of this celebration a glitter-cover edition of Katy and the Big Snow, complete with snowy stickers, has been created. In this enduring winter favorite from the Caldecott Medal winner Burton, Katy the snowplow finally gets her chance to shine
Jenn M
Katy and the Big Snow is classic children's literature. I remember reading it at a child, and now my children have read it. In fact, my daughter's kindergarten read and studied it as part of the school's "Five-in-a-Row" curriculum, enjoying the book's story, as well as other elements (mechanical devices that help people do work, seasons, changes in condition due to aging).

These "classic" award-winning children's books and children's authors are always enjoyable to read...and read again, over and...more
Rosa Cline
These books are timeless classics! For boys and girls and generations! I remember reading it as a child, then read it to my children and now read it to my 2 year old granddaughter! Without Katy and her determination the town would be in trouble. But Katy plows on and comes to the rescue
Margaret
We read this one within our "Mike Mulligan and More" Storybook Treasury, although I wouldn't mind adding the individual book to our shelf someday. Katy is a very neat read. First recommended to me through P3/4 and then again through AOY0 we've read this one time and again. We've read it anytime of year, but it's best in the winter, when we have just a dusting of snow. Here the girls get to see the excitement and possibility (imagination!) of how life could be if we lived somewhere with lots of s...more
Andrea
This book is so great! It was recently brought to my attention that most kids' books are written about boys/male characters, so I picked this up at the library in my search for picture books about females (the ones that do exist seem to all be about dresses for some reason, so it was tough).

Aside from all that, this book is cool because it has detailed pictures, a map showing the city, and little pictures showing all the things Katy can do and all the places in the city.

Melanie has requested th...more
Sherri
Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel, A Little House, and now Katy and the Big Snow...I love Virginia Burton's books. They tug at something inside that makes me feel like a kid again and sometimes draw a tear. The illustrations never fail to enchant me. Some pictures in this book have borders lined with a variety of Katy's jobs or the vehicles used by the Highway Department. These are especially nice for little ones that can't read yet. The town map is also a great way to interact with a child; th...more
Lara
I'd give a 3 to the story, but the pictures are so fun. Basically anything that has illustrated maps in it will receive 5 stars from me in terms of illustrations, and the detail in these are marvelous.

When I read this to my 2 year old, he didn't want me to turn the pages after reading them, because he was still taking in the pictures. Anything that can keep this kid's attention like that is pretty miraculous. (On that note, I recommend Moonshot: The Flight of Apollo 11)

And I'm also happy that i...more
Jenny
Burton does a nice job telling the story of Katy, the snow shovel. The illustrations are very detailed and the story is nice. Especially good for children interested in machines.
Alice
I debated on whether I wanted to give a 4 stars or 5 stars...I was very close to a 5 star because I love this book. I live in snow country where 2 feet of snow on the ground is a normal winter. Heavy snowfall is the norm and the Katy's of the world keep my town and state moving. The story is fantastic, and the reason I didn't give it 5 stars, is simply the pictures are dark and old, and old fashioned looking but honestly that didn't even really bother me. But this book was printed in 1943, durin...more
Ms Threlkeld
A great tale about how much one person can affect a community. This would also support a unit on maps and cities.
Lisa
This book shows that even if you get tired, you should never give up. It also shows that you should always be willing to help people out. I think this would be a good book to read at the beginning of the year to enforce that we should all get along and be willing to help each other, no matter how big the job/task is.
Nicolas
Not as good as Mike Mulligan and his Steam Shovel. Still, it is entertaining and charming.
Maria
I like Virginia Lee Burton's illustartions because they are detailed and a little bit strange. It's almost like she draws the main picture but has all of these other thoughts so she has to draw little pictures to represent those thoughts in the margins. The endpapers done in aqua and red are awesome too. I also like it that in this book she is writing about a "red crawler tractor", which I would think has a masculine connotation to it, but she names it Katy. But the story is a little boring, lot...more
Jeff
This book is one of many great books by a great author.
  • Lentil
  • Ira Sleeps Over
  • Our Animal Friends at Maple Hill Farm
  • The Little Red Lighthouse and the Great Gray Bridge: Restored Edition
  • Roxaboxen
Virginia Lee Burton was an American illustrator and children's book author. Burton produced seven self-illustrated children's books. She married Boston Museum school sculptor, George Demetrios, with whom she had two sons and lived in Folly Cove, Gloucester. She died at 59.

More about Virginia Lee Burton...
Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel The Little House Mike Mulligan and More: A Virginia Lee Burton Treasury Choo Choo Maybelle the Cable Car