Start by marking “Fishbowl” as Want to Read:
Fishbowl

Fishbowl

3.52  ·  Rating Details ·  4,003 Ratings  ·  126 Reviews
Allison, Jodine, and Emma discover what it truly means to be roommates when their money-making scheme to school men in the ways of women goes awry.
Published October 1st 2002 by Harlequin Books (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Fishbowl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fishbowl

Confessions of a Shopaholic by Sophie KinsellaCan You Keep a Secret? by Sophie KinsellaBridget Jones's Diary by Helen FieldingSomething Borrowed by Emily GiffinThe Undomestic Goddess by Sophie Kinsella
Favorite Chick-Lit
1,874 books — 4,230 voters
Confessions of a Shopaholic by Sophie KinsellaSomething Borrowed by Emily GiffinBridget Jones's Diary by Helen FieldingPride and Prejudice by Jane AustenSomething Blue by Emily Giffin
Best chicklit
688 books — 1,032 voters

More lists with this book...

Tanya
Jul 10, 2011 Tanya rated it did not like it
I found this book to be so offensively bad, and such a complete waste of my time that I did something I've never done before........I wrote the author. Quick read? You bet. Simple language? Most definitely. Super slow developing plot? Check. Characters whose flaws don't endear them to us, but in fact, made us glad not only that they're not our roommates, but that they are made up and we're never going to meet them? Spot on.

I love picking up a book on a whim and getting turned on to new authors -
Ali
Feb 25, 2012 Ali rated it did not like it
Shelves: chick-lit-fluffy
This is quite possibly the worst book ever written. I don't quite understand what happened, because Milkrun wasn't awful, not great, but certainly not like this. If the author set out to create the least likeable characters ever created, then she succeeded. Hated the switching between characters and the random narrator. Just awful.
Dawn
Oct 09, 2013 Dawn rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I think I paid 50 cents for this at a used book sale and I definitely overpaid. The book I read before this was an excellent, but dark, Karin Slaughter. I decided to read this next because I thought it would be a light, funny read. It wasn't. The characters in this book are so unlikable, I found myself wishing they'd encounter Karin Slaughter's murderer. The Borders sticker on the back of the book said it was YA, but it definitely wasn't. I think it said that because this author has written YA b ...more
Lisa
Dec 31, 2016 Lisa rated it did not like it
Oh my god this is a terrible book. Looking back, I'm not quite sure why I even bothered finishing it, but I think it's probably because I needed to make sure that the one girl ended up with the guy that she was obviously going to end up with. So again, I'm not sure why I bothered finishing this. The three main characters in this thing were so annoying/selfish/ridiculous that it actually made me angry. I don't think real people actually act like this. I mean, I know some annoying people, but none ...more
Tin
Mar 23, 2015 Tin rated it liked it
Shelves: ebook, 2015
• Ending felt a little rushed.

• I'm glad that in the epilogue, although everyone was redeemed, Emma didn't get a happily-ever-after (just yet). I think she needs to earn it, after all the crap and misery she made her roommates go through.

• Jodine deserves to be happy. Manny deserves to be happy too, but not with Jodine. He deserves better than that. And i'm happy with how their story ended.

• Allie needs to grow up. But i have to admit, being the only one among the three girls to have a happily-e
Amanda
Feb 25, 2009 Amanda rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Amanda by: Jen
I really love who the author uses the different chapters to seperate which point of view we are hearing the story from. Each Character has a distinctive and seperate voice and the writing style reflects their personalities. The chapters told by the all knowing narrator are hilariously written and a fun way to see how a third person outside of the inner minds of the charcters views them from the outside. Very insightful and clever. The writing is quick and sharp and this is a very fun read. I enj ...more
Bookluver
May 30, 2010 Bookluver rated it liked it
This book was OK, compare to what I have read in the past. I was kinda disappointed by all of the in-detail sex and makeout scenes.....Oh yeah and by the way there was a lot of cuss words.. But other than all of that bad stuff it had a good story line of trust between three friends that share an apartment in the Big Apple in New York City
Rachael Levine
Apr 04, 2011 Rachael Levine rated it liked it
Good chick lit ...esp if you have ever had a roommate
Elusive
Dec 18, 2015 Elusive rated it liked it
Shelves: review
‘Fishbowl’ is about three women who have to acquire enough money to pay off a repair bill after a fire in their apartment destroys the kitchen. In this process, they become friends and learn a lesson from their decisions.

The best thing about this book is the humour. The storyline sounds incredibly serious but the author writes in such a way that it’s a light and fun read. The three characters are distinct and have quirks which make them come across as ‘real’. Allie is somewhat naïve yet she’s re
Betsey Poore
Nov 11, 2014 Betsey Poore rated it really liked it
If you have ever experienced living with a roommate then you need to read Sarah Mlynowski's Fishbowl. I've had this book on my "To-Read" list since 2005 (though it was released in 2002), but I'm glad I waited until I was 24 to finally pick it up at the library. It describes the plight of a woman in her early twenties perfectly, and I don't think I would have enjoyed it as much if I wasn't experiencing these exact same emotions, problems, and parties. There are three roommates in a rent-controlle ...more
Melissa He
Jun 14, 2010 Melissa He rated it liked it
Alexis
Apr 02, 2012 Alexis rated it it was ok
Three women have just become roommates... and a fire forces them to team up to pay for the damages by throwing parties and having a "How to Pick Up Women" seminar.

Notes: I like Allie. Of course, compared to slutty Emma and uptight Jodine, who wouldn't like Allison. At first, she reminded me much like two of my close friends, and it was a bit funny. So anyway, I really regret buying this book. That's harsh, isn't it? Perhaps after reading Shopaholic, I had gotten into a Becky-groove... and I just
Emily
Mar 20, 2009 Emily rated it really liked it
Allison is getting new roommates and she is excited. Jodien and Emma move in and all the fils couldn't be more different. Allie is the people pleaser, naive, kind of innocent one, who is she wants to be and what she wants to do with her life still. Jodien is in law school and is very driven in all that she does. Emma is the most social of the house, she works entry level at a fashion magazine, she is always looking for a guy, and always challenging her roommates and their patients with her ideas ...more
Virginia
Feb 23, 2014 Virginia rated it did not like it
Why? Just why? This book is horrendous. Our themes include : drama, and comedy. 3 spoiled, ungrateful teens burn their kitchen in a fire and have to earn back the money to fix it. So they work, and that's it. The comedy is stupid and the dramatic effect doesn't work. So I guess the idea told through the theme's is work hard to accomplish what you need, but that wasn't what I felt. The three protagonists didn't actually work hard at all to accomplish anything and yet they still accomplish what th ...more
Brandi
Jan 16, 2012 Brandi rated it did not like it
This is not the greatest book. The storyline seemed cute and funny (women with different personalities live as roomates together and finally become friends) The book was just to much.... The bitchy character was to bitchy, the sweet character was to sweet, and the bossy one was to bossy. I couldn't really feel a connection to any of the characters in the book. I felt as if the author was playing into very stereotypical roles. For instance, the bossy character had a high-paying influencial job, t ...more
Nancy
Jan 27, 2009 Nancy rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2009
Picked this up in the YA section on my way out of the kids' section (where I was grabbing The Graveyard Book ). Started reading it at lunch, finished reading it by bedtime. The writing is decent, but this is the second book in a row (after Gods Behaving Badly) that starts off its first 150 pages with almost no plot, just tons of exposition and set-up, and then spends the last 150 pages trying to cram in everything. Pacing! It's your friend.
Maria
Feb 17, 2010 Maria rated it liked it
Written from different points of view, and even the narrator kind of jokes with you as a reader. I realize the point of the book was to portray each roomate as the other see them, and make the effect of them living in such close quarters they begin to get on eachother's nerves. However, about half-way through the book I, as the reader, really hated them! If i wasn't compulsive about finishing a book after i start it, i wouldn't have finished. I just got really annoyed with each character flaws.
Kelly
This wasn't the worst book that I've ever read (or even the worst chick-lit book), but I wasn't exactly a big fan of it either. There were parts that were funny, and I think that the idea was good, but the characters were just so ridiculous and annoying that it was hard to really enjoy them. The slut, the cynic, and the naive one; all complete caricatures, none of them really change or grow. But some of their antics were pretty funny. I won't be reading it again, but if someone picked it up and ...more
Hebbz
Oct 04, 2011 Hebbz rated it liked it
This book was a bit hard to get into at first and a bit confusing. The author chose to make each chapter from a different characters point of view. Unfortunately, the writing style was so similar between the characters that I had to frequently glance to the top of the page to see whose chapter it was. However, once I got into it I found that it was hard to put down. A very easy read and a VERY predictable storyline, but nevertheless, still very enjoyable.
Abigail
Mar 30, 2014 Abigail rated it liked it
Describiria este libro como el mas payaso del mundo pero me gusto, no fue la gran cosa del mundo pero me encantaron los momentos divertidos y sobre todo ... josh <3. Por el contrario, odie algunas de las facetas de dos de sus protagonistas porque, dios que perras. Pero hay cosas de ellas con las que me identifique tanto como con mi grupo de amigas.

Aunque mis amigas, no son tan malas y bitches.

La narracion me gusto por su toque comico.

Estuvo, bien.
Melissa Moy
Sep 25, 2013 Melissa Moy rated it liked it
This book is a fun read if you want to hear a story about something different. This novel follows three roommates that have just met each other and their apartment kitchen burns down. They must work together to raise the money for repair costs and their solution is pretty amusing. Following the funny aftermath of three very different woman in their 20's, they learn about friendship and roommate bonds and how it can get them through their connected trouble.
Sunkissd1 Base
Feb 02, 2010 Sunkissd1 Base rated it it was ok
I've liked this author's other books better. This was ok but predictable. 3 unlikely girls room together, set the kitchen on fire, and noone has insurance. They spend months hosting parties, lectures, etc., to raise money to replace the kitchen. They all have dysfunctional relationships and 1 ends up with the other's crush, accidentally at first. Another finds out all isn't what it appears to be. It was a good gym read, but overall was left lukewarm and looking forward to the next book.
Trina Knittle
Jan 20, 2015 Trina Knittle rated it liked it
This was an interesting book to read. It is definitely at moments a relatable book. The more into the book I read the more interesting the story became. The characters in the book were all likable and very interesting to learn about. The book was a one day read. I was really happy to have enjoyed reading this book. I loved how each chapter changed points of views. It was interesting to see through the point of view of each roommate. A good read.
Danielle-Claude Mba
Mar 19, 2013 Danielle-Claude Mba rated it it was amazing
I owned 2 copies of this one, that’s how much I loved it. I lent my first copy; I missed it so much I bought another one. To be fair I own every Red Ink editions of Sarah Mlynovaski's novels. I just moved to Toronto when that book came out. A book set in Toronto, I haven’t read many books set in Canada. It’s entertaining, it’s funny at the same time very realistic everything a good chick-lit is about.
Vivian De
Jan 12, 2011 Vivian De rated it it was amazing
Dee W.
Nov 12, 2007 Dee W. rated it liked it
This book is cute but dumb, yet somehow totally endearing. The characters are extremems, but in a way that is how randomly assigned roomates tend to be. What really hooked me into this book was that one of the characters totally *was* one of my college roomates. So creepy perfect it kept me reading through the hokey bits. Just thinking about it makes me want to laugh. Again, brainless read.
Caroline Paul
Jan 02, 2013 Caroline Paul rated it it was amazing
Just graduated from high school I finally had time to read a book so I headed to the library's youth section. When I was bored by the books I had gotten, my mom asked me why I hadn't gone to the Adult section. This is the first book I read and LOVED it. It was girly, hilarious, and kept me on my toes. It was the perfect somewhat trashy book to start off my summer with.
Liz
Jun 30, 2009 Liz rated it it was ok
This book wasn't great, mostly because none of the characters were likable. One is selfish and slutty, another neurotic and bitchy, and the third naieve and annoying. You end up rooting more against them than for them. It's mindless chick lit that would be fine for a day sitting by the pool... though even for that there are better books out there.
Johnna Ehlendt
May 30, 2011 Johnna Ehlendt rated it it was ok
I read her book Me vs Me and loved it. This book was not as interesting. Not enough storyline or something. It felt like something was missing. It was funny and I caught myself chuckling out loud at times, but it lacked in story. Probably will not read this one again but I am still interested in reading more of her books.
Trinity White
Nov 03, 2009 Trinity White rated it really liked it
Shelves: chick-lit
It took 3 or 4 chapters for me to get into this book. It jumps around from the 3 roommates perspectives and I had a hard time distinguishing who was who for in the beginning. Once into the book it takes off and I couldn't put it down. The roommates relationships grow into friendships and I really enjoyed reading this.
  • Dominant Blonde, The
  • Mike, Mike & Me
  • Confessions of an Ex-Girlfriend
  • The Solomon Sisters Wise Up (Red Dress Ink Novels)
  • On The Verge
  • Tales of a Drama Queen (Drama Queen, #1)
  • Dating Without Novocaine
  • Carrie Pilby
  • Dog Handling
  • Apocalipstick
  • The Jinx (Rachel Benjamin, #2)
  • Everyone Else's Girl
  • Forget About It
  • The Book of Jane
  • Speechless
  • Hating Valentine's Day
Sarah was born in Montreal, Canada. After graduating with an honors degree in English literature from McGill University, she moved to Toronto to work for Harlequin Enterprises. While she never met Fabio, she used her romance publishing experiences to fuel her first novel Milkrun.

Since then, Sarah has written four additional novels for adults: Fishbowl, As Seen on TV, Monkey Business, and
More about Sarah Mlynowski...