Start by marking “Schools That Learn: A Fifth Discipline Fieldbook for Educators, Parents and Everyone Who Cares About Education” as Want to Read:

Created by bestselling author and MIT senior lecturer Peter Senge and a team of educators and organizational change leaders, this new addition to the Fifth Discipline Resource Book series offers practical advice for educators, administrators, and parents on how to strengthen and rebuild our schools.

Few would argue that schools today are in trouble. The problems are sparkin
Published September 12th 2000 by Crown Business

To ask other readers questions about Schools That Learn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Schools That Learn

Sara
Aug 10, 2016 Sara rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Outside of the fact that this book constantly insults teachers' intelligence and abilities, the book also continues to focus on issues that have been identified - especially in the last 11 years since the book's last edition - without providing suggestions for solutions. Stating that assessment can be changed with a deep mind shift by "students, teachers, and parents" without acknowledging the political and governmental landscape that is forcing standardized testing and inaccurate comparisons on ...more
Steve Johnson
May 01, 2011 Steve Johnson rated it really liked it
This is a great working model for just about everything as all things are really systems. Leaders (those who direct systems) need to read this book. Educators definitely need to understand the ways their actions affect the learning systems.
Ken
Jun 04, 2011 Ken rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all educators, parents
This is the book that I come back to when I want a lift in my education reading. A must for every teacher, administrator, and parent.
It has multiple stickies, and highlighters.
Melissa Mannon
Nov 03, 2016 Melissa Mannon rated it it was amazing
Fascinating look at the Five learning disciplines and how educators can use systems thinking to create successful schools.
Steve Arntz
Apr 14, 2015 Steve Arntz rated it it was amazing
This has been an incredibly powerful book for changing the way that I think about my responsibility in education. The book really opened my eyes to the complexity of the public education system and the importance of us understanding our role(s) within that system. Simply doing "your job" is not enough - we must understand how our role fits in with other roles and work together to develop coordinated solutions to the complex problems we face. I also came away with an even strong belief that ...more
Bonni
Dec 20, 2013 Bonni rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, edd703
This book is not designed to be read cover-to-cover, the way that I read it. I'm teaching a doctoral class in a program that is designed around systems thinking. Students will read the book throughout the program, as they explore ways to incorporate systems thinking into their work and communities. I would recommend that anyone exploring systems thinking in education start by reading the introductory chapters, and then skim, according to interest. It was a long read to go through in order, ...more
Marci
Jan 14, 2008 Marci rated it did not like it
Shelves: non-fiction
Whoa! I chose this meaty book for a book study @ work. Those that know me, I am not inclined to reading much non-fiction cover to cover. But hey -- free book & getting paid for book club meetings. Not a bad deal.
Guida Allès
Un llibre sobre els factors que fan que un centre, una aula o un docent avancin. Escrit per diversos autors, coordinat per Peter Senge. L´he trobat un poc massa general. Pot ser útil per estudiants de magisteri.
Anna Hirsch
May 14, 2008 Anna Hirsch rated it it was amazing
There is a wealth of knowledge in this book - everything from how to better communicate on the job to how to build a learning organization to how to re-envision our schools with a living metaphor, schools that learn and grow, as opposed to a machine metaphor, schools that produce.
Witjestom
Mar 05, 2016 Witjestom rated it really liked it
Over veranderingsmanagment zijn heel wat boeken geschreven heb ik begrepen, ieder met zijn eigen aanpak en visie. ik denk dat de visie van Peter Senge heel goed in het onderwijs past. Door dit boek ben ik heel wat andere boeken gaan lezen die ook op de digitale plank staan.
Peter
May 18, 2008 Peter rated it really liked it
I did my first "smarty-pants" presentation for my Masters in Education Administration using a chapter out of this book. It was on systemic thinking. See? Smarty-pants.

In all seriousness, this is a very progressive book on school leadership. Quite heady at times.
Erika
A book that focuses specifically on community, schools and education, to help reclaim schools in economically depressed districts.
Sergio F. Sosa Sanchez
Conceptos de aprendizaje aplicables a instituciones educativas y organizaciones...un libro esencial para toda persona involucrada con el aprendizaje.
Dharmabum
The start has been delightful. I am not going in sequence. Post the introduction, I have moved to Page 100 - about the classroom.
Monique
Jul 21, 2014 Monique rated it it was amazing
Great book for anyone wanting to make a change at their school...for K-12 but could be applied to the college level as well.
Joanna Dasher
Feb 23, 2013 Joanna Dasher rated it it was amazing
The best book I've ever read on education. And that's saying something. If you think we could do a better job at educating our kids, read this book.
ByTheFire
Sep 06, 2015 ByTheFire rated it really liked it
great writing, easy to pick up at any point and find something- some nugget of information and inspiration-
Sherrie Bartell
Sherrie Bartell rated it really liked it
Apr 15, 2013
Armando
Armando rated it it was amazing
Oct 05, 2016
Peter
Peter rated it it was amazing
Mar 23, 2013
JSA
JSA rated it it was ok
Sep 16, 2014
Kaarin Peet
Kaarin Peet rated it it was amazing
Mar 13, 2014
Erin
Erin rated it really liked it
Nov 08, 2008
Sue Kh
Sue Kh rated it really liked it
Sep 02, 2016
Shikin
Shikin rated it liked it
Sep 09, 2012
Amy Summers
Amy Summers rated it it was amazing
Feb 14, 2016
Jeanette Ryan
Jeanette Ryan rated it it was amazing
May 04, 2013
Anthony VonBank
Anthony VonBank rated it really liked it
Jan 07, 2012
Thomas Skovgaard
Thomas Skovgaard rated it it was amazing
Nov 28, 2012
Jen
Jen rated it liked it
Oct 14, 2008
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Leading in a Culture of Change
  • Results Now: How We Can Achieve Unprecedented Improvements in Teaching and Learning
  • High-Impact Instruction: A Framework for Great Teaching
  • What Works in Schools: Translating Research Into Action
  • Driven by Data: A Practical Guide to Improve Instruction
  • Whatever It Takes: How Professional Learning Communities Respond When Kids Don't Learn
  • Catching Up or Leading the Way: American Education in the Age of Globalization
  • Teaching with the Brain in Mind
  • Who Owns the Learning?: Preparing Students for Success in the Digital Age
  • Checking for Understanding: Formative Assessment Techniques for Your Classroom
  • The World Is Open: How Web Technology Is Revolutionizing Education
  • Horace's Compromise: The Dilemma of the American High School
  • What's the Big Idea?: Question-Driven Units to Motivate Reading, Writing, and Thinking
  • Education Nation: Six Leading Edges of Innovation in Our Schools
  • The Quality School: Managing Students Without Coercion
  • Focus: Elevating the Essentials to Radically Improve Student Learning
  • Leading Change in Your School: How to Conquer Myths, Build Commitment, and Get Results
  • Integrating Differentiated Instruction and Understanding by Design: Connecting Content and Kids

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Peter M. Senge is a senior lecturer at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. He is also founding chair of the Society for Organizational Learning (SoL), a global community of corporations, researchers, and consultants dedicated to the "interdependent development of people and their institutions."
--from the author's website
More about Peter M. Senge...