Start by marking “Counterfeit Countess: Brazen Brides, Book 1” as Want to Read:
Counterfeit Countess: Brazen Brides, Book 1

Counterfeit Countess: Brazen Brides, Book 1 (Brazen Brides #1)

Daphne du Maurier award finalist for Best Historical Mystery

“This story is full of romance and suspense. . . No one can resist a novel written by Cheryl Bolen. Her writing talents charm all readers. Highly recommended reading! 5 stars!” – Huntress Reviews

“Bolen pens a sparkling tale, and readers will adore her feisty heroine, the arrogant, honorable Warwick and a wonderf
Published September 1st 2015 by Harper & Appleton (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Counterfeit Countess, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Counterfeit Countess

Patrice
This is exactly the type of historical romance that I love to read. It has a strong female main character and a wonderful “alpha” male lead character. This story has a little intrigue dealing with traitors to the English crown that are spying for Napoleon. An interesting twist to this story is that our heroine, Maggie, is an American colonist (born to English Loyalist parents). Maggie is a totally likable character and her younger sister, Rebecca, is the quintessential “bookworm” and I loved her ...more
Zena
Nov 10, 2016 Zena rated it it was amazing
Although this is a very different type of story for this author in that she has quite a few sex scenes in it, it is written in her usual wonderful style with each scene following happily along from the previous one so that I just didn't want to put the book down until I had finished it.
The hero and heroine were great together, playing interesting games with each other until they both came clean and admitted their true feelings.
The supporting characters also helped make this an entertaining read.
Annemarie Hinton
Oct 25, 2016 Annemarie Hinton rated it it was amazing
Another of Cheryl Bolen's "Bride Series". All a pleasure and well worth your time.
RoloPoloBookBlog
Counterfeit Countess by Cheryl Bolen
Book #1: Brazen Brides Series
Source: ARC from author
My Rating: 4/5 stars
My Review:

It’s not every day Edward, the Earl of Warwick wakes up to the dulcet tones of a gaggle of women in his front room. It is most certainly not every day one of those women announces she is the countess of Warwick and she has finally come home to claim what her late husband left her. Since, Edward is fairly certain he is both unmarried and still alive, there must be some mistake.

M
Leslie Marshman
Oct 14, 2015 Leslie Marshman rated it it was amazing
Counterfeit Countess Is A Genuine Gem

When American-born Maggie, the widowed Countess of Warwick, arrives at her London home accompanied by her younger sister, older maid, overweight cat and fourteen trunks, no one is more surprised than Edward, the Earl of Warwick. The very much alive, very much single (although nearly betrothed to Lady Fiona Hollingsworth) and very much authentic Earl of Warwick.

Maggie’s deceased husband turned out to be a traitor named Lawrence Henshaw, who masqueraded as Lord
Dawn Pearson
Aug 31, 2015 Dawn Pearson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Note: I received a complimentary copy for an honest review.

This is my first exposure to this author, and hopefully, it won't be my last.

Maggie has just arrived in London from America with the hopes of securing a husband. Her previous husband left her destitute and she has come to lay claim to his property and title - only to discover that it was all a lie. She is not a countess and the home she arrived at is not hers.

Edward is suddenly awakened by a commotion downstairs. He soon discovers a wo
Misty Nickels
Sep 09, 2015 Misty Nickels rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was not sure that I would like this when I first started reading it, although I do love historical fiction. I do not think that the synopsis that I read gave the book justice. This book was everything I wanted from a historical romance and more. I love the words that the characters used to describe each other and their surroundings. I loved the characters because all of them were not only described perfectly so that a proper image of the characters, as the author viewed them, was also ...more
Marissa
Aug 31, 2015 Marissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kindle Copy for Review

What is a lady supposed to do when she learns the man she marries is not whom he she was told but she saw his final death when he jumped to his demise.
She finds herself in London with her younger unmarried sister penniless. She thought she married an Earl but it was a case of stolen identity. A traitor to England with a title that belong to someone else, she is thought to be a spy.

Maggie finds herself at the home of the new Earl’s home who she does not of his existence. Fig
Faye Lawson
Sep 07, 2015 Faye Lawson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Most enjoyable examination of honor, allegiance and above all love!

From the start we, the readers, are introduced to a delightful heroine, an incomparable and she knows it! But she conducts herself in such a way that it is no wonder all the men who came in contact with her loved her, including our hero the Earl of Warwick, but he was promised to another! Maggie thinks she is Countess Warwick because the man who woo'd and married her in Virginia turned out to be a wastrel and scoundrel had the
Sandy Digger
Mar 17, 2016 Sandy Digger rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. It was entertaining and sweet. The story is about Lord Warwick, who thinks he's happy and engaged to a young lady who has just lost her mother therefore their engagement can't be announced till she is out of mourning. Then his house is descended upon by "Lady Warwick". WHAT???! He isn't married who is this woman? And she has the nerve to order his servants around, demanding accommodations. She informs him that she owns the castle and has come home to live. He then sets her ...more
Petula
Aug 31, 2015 Petula rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Maggie, Lady Warwick has travelled from Virginia to London with her sister and a very fat cat, to claim her late husband's estate.
Edward the Earl of Warwick is awoken to female screeching in his town house. The beautiful woman who's entourage has invaded his home is claiming to be the previous Earl's widow. He knows that is not possible.
Maggie finds out her husband was not who he claimed to be,. In fact he was a spy who only just escaped the hangman. Now for the sake of her sister she has to u
Janice Hougland
Oct 10, 2015 Janice Hougland rated it it was amazing
I do love a good Regency romance, and Cheryl Bolen writes a good one. This story about Edward (a counterfeit Earl who works for the Crown) and Maggie (a counterfeit Countess) involves a mystery about a secret document and an excellent knowledge and description of the English countryside wherein the mysterious hijinks and relationship adventures take place. Regency courtships usually follow prescribed societal rules and this one is no different, except that there are some lovely slip-ups during ...more
H Hardy
Jun 24, 2016 H Hardy rated it it was amazing
This is a sweet book. I very much enjoy Cheryl Bolen's style of writing. There is intrigue, deceit, a little bit of mild heat and love of course! She blends everything into a story that is very engrossing. I finished this book in just a few hours because I could not really put it down. Lady Warwick comes to England to live in her dead husbands home, only to find that she is not the Lady Warwick. She was married to The Scoundrel. However, Edward, the current Lord Warwick, allows her to stay in ...more
Carey
May 29, 2016 Carey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the 1st book in the Brazen Brides series. I read the 3rd book in this series 1st & this book 2nd though-so they can be read as standalones! This was a very entertaining book! All the men that fall in love with the Counterfeit Countess sound like perfect men & I now that I've finished the book, I'm dieing to know what happens to the men Maggie (the counterfeit countess) turned down! I definitely recommend this book! I couldn't put it down! I never would've guessed who the "bad ...more
Crystal
Jan 17, 2016 Crystal rated it really liked it
I received this book from Goodreads First Reads. I really enjoyed this book. It has a great story and I love the characters. I don't read a lot of historical books, this one ready easily and I was well written. I will be reading more books by Cheryl Bolen. If you like historical romance, strong women and alpha males you will love this one.
Kathleen Ruggio
Apr 02, 2016 Kathleen Ruggio rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nothing Counterfeit About Their Love

A very quick read with a kind of Victorian espionage. All the characters are well developed. I'm looking forward to the next in the series as they are going to continue the characters of this book. It is definitely for adult readers bc of the hot steamy scenes. Cheryl Bolden is a great story teller that most readers will thoroughly enjoy.
Lois
Mar 28, 2016 Lois rated it it was amazing
This book kept your interest as to who is the real traitor & who is hiding more than they are letting on.
The Counterfeit Countess, Maggie keeps everyone on their toes & Edward, the Earl of Warwick (?) is one of them, however; he cannot resist her, as she is truly addictive. Cheryl, did a good job in keeping the pace of the book flowing & you guessing as to who the traitor is.
Nikki Hartline
Mar 01, 2016 Nikki Hartline rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best!

I have read several of Ms Bolen's books over the years. They are all witty with a good story lines. However, I think this book is her best book so far. I look forward to reading the rest of the books in this series, as well as other books she has written.
Ann Gonzalez
Apr 06, 2016 Ann Gonzalez rated it it was amazing
Cheryl Bolen is a talented author. I know her books will be good. This book was a great start for the Brazen Brides series. The characters are well written. Maggie's character is beautiful, intelligent, and outspoken. Edward is mysterious. I look forward to reading the other books in the series.
Rachelle Russell
Cute but predictable

The story line was cute but predictable. I found Edward to be to moody and he sucked the life out of every room he entered. However, Maggie more than made up for his disappointing countenance.
Kathy Bunbury
Mar 23, 2016 Kathy Bunbury rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Intrigue with sensual undercurrents

A brooding hero and a sexy, smart heroine are the perfect duo to engage in espionage, intrigue and romance. A few interesting twists and turns keep this story interesting.
Lynda Barker
Jun 18, 2016 Lynda Barker rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lady Maggie thought she was married to the lake Lord Warwick, but finds out he was an imposter!

This is a great love and suspense story. Lots of twist and turns. Recommended for all who love Recency Romance
Lynn Pernezny
Mar 20, 2016 Lynn Pernezny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Diverting romance with mystery.

It's hard to call this an historical mystery, since the romance dominates. The villain is easy to predict, but the mystery held my interest. Bolen's characters are always interesting and well drawn. An easy but satisfying read.
Theresa Echols
Sep 08, 2015 Theresa Echols rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This author gives a satisfying read. Characters both likable and those you really want to hate. Cheryl Bolen weaves a mystery with a fine web of hints that do not come together until the very end.
Kim
Jun 10, 2016 Kim rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
I liked a lot of this book but I couldn't get past some of the foundations of the story, like her being so beautiful she rendered every man speechless and witless.
Donna
Feb 01, 2013 Donna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book. Author does such a good job entertaining with mystery and I am always surprised by the villain.
Stephanie Sizemore
Wonderful

I loved this book. Wonderful combination of romance and suspense. Cheryl Bolen is a great writer and I will definitely read more of her books.
Brittany
Jul 31, 2016 Brittany rated it liked it
I just did not love it. The story was interesting but sometimes the story fell flat. I will give the next book a shot but I am definitely hoping that it improves.
Patricia Schuette
Counterfeit Countess

Just loved this story of mystery and romance. It's the first of a series of different bride stories that are connected
Caroline
Aug 21, 2013 Caroline rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: until-2013
Very nice book - it is historical romance so you know from the start what the end will be ;) BUT at least it is not AS obvious as some otehers...
  • A Scandalous Secret (Scandalous #3)
  • Blackwood Crossing (British Agent, #2)
  • Fissure (Chronicles of the Interred, #2)
  • Tempting a Sinner (The Sinners Club, #2)
  • Blue Midnight (Blue Mountain #1)
  • Challenging Destiny
  • Seduce (Succubus Kiss, #1)
  • Wild Aces
  • The Reluctant Duchess
  • Roanoke Vanishing
  • The Guardians
  • Lady Scandal (Furies, #2)
  • Love in the Moonlight
  • Moonlight Madness (Circle of Destiny, #2)
  • The Bastard's Blade: A Medieval Fantasy Romance
  • Blackout (Lost Girls #1)
  • Rowena and the Viking Warlord (Land's End, #3)
  • Love Under Siege: A Huguenot Romance
Cheryl Bolen has enjoyed several successful careers. She's been a stay-at-home mother, a journalist, a public school English teacher, an antiques dealer, and in 1998 she debuted with her first novel, A DUKE DECEIVED.

With each endeavor came rewards. For the years she spent as a nurturing mother (including being a PTA officer, room mother, team mom, etc.), she looks with pride now on two extraordina
More about Cheryl Bolen...

Brazen Brides (3 books)
  • One Golden Ring (Brazen Brides Book 2)
  • Oh What A (Wedding) Night (Brazen Brides Book 3)