Start by marking “Ketchup is My Favorite Vegetable: A Family Grows Up With Autism” as Want to Read:
Ketchup is My Favorite Vegetable: A Family Grows Up With Autism

Ketchup is My Favorite Vegetable: A Family Grows Up With Autism

2017 American Society of Journalists and Authors Outstanding Book Awards Honorable Mention

2016 Foreword INDIES Book of The Year Awards Finalist

How do you create an ordinary family life, while dealing with the extraordinary needs of an autistic child?
Meet Mickey - charming, funny, compassionate, and autistic. In this unflinching memoir, Liane Kupferberg Carter delivers a mo
Published January 21st 2016 by Jessica Kingsley Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Ketchup is My Favorite Vegetable, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ketchup is My Favorite Vegetable

Anne Ross
Feb 17, 2016 Anne Ross rated it it was amazing
I ate this book up. I was pulled along by Liane's story, which is like my family's in so many ways but also so different and unique. I laughed out loud in places and got tearful in others. Beautifully told, informative and moving. My kind of bibliotherapy!
Wendy Kout
Nov 25, 2015 Wendy Kout rated it it was amazing
Beautifully and honestly written memoir that is an education for your head and inspiration for your heart. I hope there will be a sequel because I now feel like a member of this terrific family and a great fan of Mickey and his eloquent Mom. Read it! Share it!
Lucia Greenhouse
Mar 22, 2016 Lucia Greenhouse rated it it was amazing
Liane Kupferberg Carter, author of KETCHUP IS MY FAVORITE VEGETABLE uses the word beamish a small handful of times in her book about family life with autism: in the book’s dedication (To my beamish boys); midway through the book, quoting her husband who was kvelling about Mickey’s newly revealed Opera Voice; and once again, toward the end of the book. Because I was reading the paperback and not an e-book version, I didn’t pause to look up the word until the third time I spotted it. Now, I will n ...more
Judy Turetsky
Oct 22, 2015 Judy Turetsky rated it it was amazing
This book invited the reader into the family life of the Carters in a way that was warm, real, and thoroughly engaging. I oscillated between being unable to put the book down, and not wanting to read too quickly, because I didn't want the book to end. Carter expertly weaves past recollections in with the story she tells: never confusing, always heartfelt, and wonderfully respectful.

I have read many, many pieces from the perspective of parents raising autistic children. Too many of them spend so
Leslie Garber
Nov 19, 2015 Leslie Garber rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: parents & professionals
Recommended to Leslie by: friend
Extraordinary book. It's beautifully written. Even more important, Carter conveys both the grief & the joy of living with a child--now adult--with Autism Spectrum Disorder. While none of can truly know what it's like, her honesty opens a door into her world & can teach all of us. I was also impressed by all she & her husband have learned about medical, educational, & treatment options for individuals with ASD. Their knowledge & experience clearly make them strong advocates fo ...more
Jill
Nov 02, 2015 Jill rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ketchup is My Favorite Vegetable was written from a mom's perspective. What makes it so special is that Liane Kupferberg Carter speaks from her heart. This memoir is honest and doesn't sugar coat her family's experiences. It is a satisfying read and can be enjoyed by anyone whether they have a special needs child or are just raising a family. This book should be on everyone's list who has a child with autism or knows a child with autism or is just looking for a great book to read about a special ...more
Barbara
Dec 30, 2015 Barbara rated it it was amazing
A must-read for ALL parents, not just those who have a child with autism. Carter, whose essays I've enjoyed for many years in various publications, writes with honesty, humor, courage and intelligence -- and opened my eyes to many situations and issues. I'm so grateful for this enjoyable and moving look into one loving family, told by one loving mother who -- like every mother -- wants the best for her child.
Lisa
Oct 24, 2015 Lisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a rare book. On the one hand it is the riveting story of Mickey and his family as they “grow up with autism.” But it is also a beautifully written, powerful literary memoir about motherhood. I loved this book. Now, where do I shelve it? It doesn’t quite belong on my shelf of autism books – perhaps with my memoirs, near Joan Didion and Mary Karr? I think for now I will leave it out so I can urge all visitors: Please read this book!
Lisa
Sep 01, 2015 Lisa rated it it was amazing
Catherine
Jan 28, 2016 Catherine rated it liked it
A touching and easily readable memoir of the reality of raising an autistic boy, which also shows the difficulty in transferring from child to adult services once your child is grown. The book outlines the multiple fights that the parents had to go through in order to get their son the right kind of education, and the heartache of watching their son also battle severe epilepsy as well as encountering the world through the lens of autism. At times overly sentimental (but what book written by a mo ...more
Arlen Grad
Dec 18, 2016 Arlen Grad rated it it was amazing
Beautifully written, I was drawn in right away by Liane's honest, loving book about the real story behind raising a child with autism. I felt myself walking alongside her as she and her husband raised Mickey, and navigated the world of parenting a child with special needs. It's a very moving story that I'd highly recommend.
Amy Kendall
Jan 06, 2017 Amy Kendall rated it it was amazing
A good read, especially for families who have recently joined the ranks of ASD. It isn't a "you should be doing this," book, as much as a, "this is what we went through," title. It helped me gain perspective and foresee some of the obstacles that lie ahead.

I would also recommend this for extended family members and friends as a kind of, "here's what they may be going through."
Tanya Boulter
Apr 08, 2016 Tanya Boulter rated it really liked it
enjoyed this non fiction book. i like lianes writing style my only but being the story jumps around a little bit
Ophir
Sep 20, 2016 Ophir rated it it was amazing
Liane eloquently takes us on her journey of raising a son with autism and epilepsy. As a mom of a young son with autism, I found her story to be both poignant and healing.
Jeanette
Feb 17, 2016 Jeanette rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-readers
Review to follow shortly.
Phyllis Goldberg
Apr 14, 2016 Phyllis Goldberg rated it it was amazing
A Heartfelt Memoir

Liane Carter has written a family love story about loyalty, bravery and renewal. Her honesty about the challenges of raising a child with autism cuts to the core, and her resilience is breathtaking.

Through the eyes of an intuitive mom who knows what works, Liane covers history and theory as well as clinical and personal experiences. With her unique lens and as a strong advocate for the autism community, she corrects misconceptions and broadens our understanding.

Right from the s
Jerie Green
Jan 25, 2017 Jerie Green rated it liked it
Informative and very readable - helped me to understand autism, its challenges and one parent's perspective.
Robin
Robin rated it it was amazing
Carol Levin
Carol Levin rated it it was amazing
Nov 07, 2015
Ina Kupferberg
Ina Kupferberg rated it it was amazing
Nov 07, 2015
Jillian
Jillian rated it it was amazing
Apr 28, 2016
Nancy Clarvit
Nancy Clarvit rated it it was amazing
Wendy Reich
Wendy Reich rated it it was amazing
Shay Tal
Shay Tal rated it it was amazing
Dec 29, 2015
Gretchen
Gretchen rated it really liked it
Jun 16, 2017
Joanna
Joanna rated it really liked it
Feb 12, 2017
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it it was amazing
Stacie
Stacie rated it liked it
Dec 06, 2016
Rachel Laird
Rachel Laird rated it really liked it
Jul 22, 2016
Amy Silverman
Amy Silverman rated it it was amazing
May 30, 2016
  • The Scientific American Day in the Life of Your Brain: A 24 Hour Journal of What's Happening in Your Brain as You Sleep, Dream, Wake Up, Eat, Work, Play, Fight, Love, Worry, Compete, Hope, Make Important Decisions, Age, and Change
  • Ordinarily Well: The Case for Antidepressants
  • The Evolution of Childhood: Relationships, Emotion, Mind
  • Here Is a Human Being: At the Dawn of Personal Genomics
  • Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy for Depression: A New Approach to Preventing Relapse
  • What Mad Pursuit
  • Descartes' Baby
  • The Mind At Night: The New Science Of How And Why We Dream
  • William James: In the Maelstrom of American Modernism
  • Healthy Brain, Happy Life
  • The Story of Psychology
  • Following Ezra: What One Father Learned About Gumby, Otters, Autism, and Love From His Extraordinary Son
  • Rewire Your Brain: Think Your Way to a Better Life
  • Roosevelt and Hopkins: An Intimate History
  • The Modern Mind: An Intellectual History of the 20th Century
  • A Map of the Child: A Pediatrician's Tour of the Body
  • Understanding Sam and Asperger Syndrome
  • Marlborough: His Life and Times, Book Two
Liane Kupferberg Carter is a nationally-known writer, award-winning author and an advocate in the autism community. Her work has appeared in the New York Times, Washington Post, Chicago Tribune, Parent Magazine, Scary Mommy, The Manifest-Station, Brain,Child Magazine, and PBS's Next Avenue. Her work is frequently anthologized, and has been featured in numerous special education, parenting and heal ...more
More about Liane Kupferberg Carter...