Start by marking “Flutterby” as Want to Read:
Flutterby

Flutterby (Serendipity)

A tiny winged horse named Flutterby flies about the island of Serendipity trying to discover her special purpose in life. Through a series of magical misadventures, she discovers she is very special just being herself.
Published April 19th 1995 by Price Stern Sloan (first published 1976)

To ask other readers questions about Flutterby, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Flutterby

Cindy
Aug 01, 2013 Cindy rated it it was amazing
I rated every book that I read during childhood 5 stars.
Why? Well because that was a time in my life when I loved every single thing I read. And because they bring back fond memories. Ah, the joys of being young!
Auggie
May 18, 2016 Auggie rated it really liked it
A sweet, short, fun little story about a confused baby Pegasus who doesn't know who or what she is at first. She tries to fit in with other animals, but simply isn't the same as others and so she feels isolated and alone. Until a wise old butterfly reveals to her that she's special and important because she is unique. Thus, all becomes right again with the world.
Jen
May 26, 2016 Jen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
So I loved horses in general as a kid (who am I kidding, I still do) and a flying horse would've been the bestest best. I have the feeling that I loved this book purely for the illustrations when I was younger--but as an adult, I am underwhelmed. The illustrations are still pretty, but I have no real idea what the story is doing. Yes, it's about being yourself (whatever that may be), but Flutterby ends up alone. Good on her for keeping an eye out for frost, but can't she have some friends? And ...more
Josiah
Feb 17, 2016 Josiah rated it it was ok
As with the other Serendipity books that I have read, "Flutterby" deals with issues of self-discovery and making peace with simply being oneself.
Stephen Cosgrove writes with a light touch, yet manages to fit a good amount of meaning into the few pages that comprise most of his stories. Flutterby's journey to find out who she is and what she is meant to do will easily be identified with by any readers that have encountered similar situations in their own lives.
Julia Brumfield
Apr 23, 2015 Julia Brumfield rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book, serendipity
I loved how this book starts out: "In a burst of laughter and moonshine one fine and beautiful evening, Fluttterby was born". The author has an amazing way with words - so descriptive, so simple and so clear. And then to have them completed by such beautiful illustrations.

The plot has so many similarities with the original "Serendipity" although one is of the air and one is of the sea while the latter didn't emphasize this lesson although it was there.
Feb 23, 2012 Sarah rated it it was amazing
I hated to read when I was young, the stories in childrens' books just never caught my interest unless it was about animals. Dr. Seuss, and Clifford the Big Red Dog were some other series' I like but still not as interesting as the Serendipity books. As well as zoobooks and non-fictional writing about animals.
Shelli
May 18, 2012 Shelli rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This is a wonderful book series for kids that want to work toward reading chapter books but are not quiet there yet. Every other page has a beautiful illustration next to a page that is not overwhelming with text.

I remember reading this as a kid and loving it. What girl wouldn't love a story of a flying tiny horse?
Dee
Sep 09, 2014 Dee rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Any child.
Recommended to Dee by: School librarian
This was perhaps one of my favourite childhood books. How can you go wrong, with a flying horse?? I was a little girl, and this was just the ultimate story. I was in love with the beautiful illustrations, and the story was fantastic, with a message I'm glad I was reading then (and wish maybe I would remember more nowadays).
Lindsay Kendal
Oct 21, 2011 Lindsay Kendal rated it it was amazing
OMG! I have been looking for this book for years. I had this when I was a little girl and I loved it so much. The illustrations are so beautiful. I used to want to have my very own Flutterby. I've searched and search for this book, and I have just this very minute found it and ordered it. I cannot wait to receive it.
StrangeBedfellows
Dec 10, 2012 StrangeBedfellows rated it liked it
As a child, I was absolutely entranced by this little winged horse. This was one of my most cherished books because of both the delightful story and the wonderful artistry. I would recommend any of Cosgrove's books to children (and some folks older than children, too), but this one is especially noteworthy.
Ilana
Jan 26, 2016 Ilana rated it it was amazing
This series of books is the most wonderfully illustrated, sweetest series available for children. Each book is beautiful, the animals are so sweetly drawn and each book teaches a wonderful lesson. I still have all of my original copies from my childhood (the 90s).
Amelia
Ok, but I've seen better books with this message: Be who you are. I like the mini winged horse, but horses have always attracted me. The butterfly does give some good advice by pointing out what the horse can do and giving her a task to do. I liked that.
Tari_Roo
Aug 11, 2016 Tari_Roo rated it really liked it
A childhood fav that resulted in us kids looking for pegasus cocoons and tiny pegasuses flitting about our garden. So cute, so sweet
Mikana
Sep 28, 2015 Mikana rated it it was amazing
Beautifully illustrated and a sweet little story with morale. A wonderful story to share with your loved ones.
What's Dat
Aug 27, 2012 What's Dat rated it it was amazing
This Serendipity books were my all time favorite kids books back in the early 80's. Total and complete excellence.
Ashley
Jan 22, 2011 Ashley rated it it was amazing
Check out my blog, Books from Bleh to Basically Amazing for my thoughts and memories of the Serendipity series!
Lindsey
Apr 29, 2012 Lindsey rated it really liked it
This Serendipity entry was about discovering who you are by doing what you do. A cute book with great pictures to illustrate to kids that who they are can be both similar and unique.
Christine
Jul 31, 2008 Christine rated it really liked it
I miss this book. Someone buy it for me. I loved these books when I was a kid. The illustrations are beautiful and the stories are sweet. SO girly!
Amanda
Amanda rated it really liked it
Jun 23, 2009
Tej Pavan
Tej Pavan rated it it was amazing
Aug 01, 2014
JG (The Introverted Reader)
JG (The Introverted Reader) rated it it was amazing
Dec 29, 2008
Roumiana Marinova
Roumiana Marinova rated it it was amazing
Nov 16, 2014
Janna Sims
Janna Sims rated it it was amazing
Mar 09, 2013
Dayna S Rubin
Dayna S Rubin rated it it was amazing
Feb 26, 2016
Heather
Heather rated it it was amazing
Apr 09, 2013
babybabayaga
babybabayaga rated it it was amazing
Mar 03, 2010
Nasuesue
Nasuesue rated it it was ok
Mar 09, 2012
Megan
Megan rated it it was amazing
Mar 30, 2009
Frisian77
Frisian77 rated it it was amazing
Oct 31, 2016
Nicole
Feb 10, 2008 Nicole rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: adults who want to be childish~!
adorable book i found at an antique store. perfect for children :D
  • Where Have the Unicorns Gone?
  • Kermit the Hermit
  • Can I Get There by Candlelight?
  • Little Rabbit's Loose Tooth
  • Mister Dog:  The Dog Who Belonged to Himself
  • The Market Square Dog
  • Dear Children of the Earth
  • Little Miss Giggles
  • Me Too, Iguana
  • The Blind Colt
  • Hairy Maclary's Rumpus at the Vet (Picture Puffin)
  • Toot & Puddle: You Are My Sunshine
  • Princess Adventure Stories
  • The Wisdom of Evil
  • Dinotopia: Journey to Chandara

Serendipity (1 - 10 of 70 books)
  • Bangalee
  • Buttermilk (Serendipity)
  • Buttermilk Bear
  • Butterwings
  • Cap'n Smudge
  • Catundra
  • Crabby Gabby (Serendipity)
  • Creolé