Start by marking “Flutterby” as Want to Read:

Flutterby (Serendipity)

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  761 ratings  ·  35 reviews
A tiny winged horse named Flutterby flies about the island of Serendipity trying to discover her special purpose in life. Through a series of magical misadventures, she discovers she is very special just being herself.
Published April 19th 1995 by Price Stern Sloan (first published 1976)

To ask other readers questions about Flutterby, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Flutterby

Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleCharlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteThe Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein
Best children's books EVER
282nd out of 1,119 books — 1,395 voters
Serendipity by Stephen CosgroveWheedle on the Needle by Stephen CosgroveButtermilk by Stephen CosgroveDragolin by Stephen CosgroveFlutterby by Stephen Cosgrove
Serendipity Series
5th out of 70 books — 4 voters

More lists with this book...

I rated every book that I read during childhood 5 stars.
Why? Well because that was a time in my life when I loved every single thing I read. And because they bring back fond memories. Ah, the joys of being young!
Sep 09, 2014 Dee rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Any child.
Recommended to Dee by: School librarian
This was perhaps one of my favourite childhood books. How can you go wrong, with a flying horse?? I was a little girl, and this was just the ultimate story. I was in love with the beautiful illustrations, and the story was fantastic, with a message I'm glad I was reading then (and wish maybe I would remember more nowadays).
Very cute story about finding yourself and being you, not anyone else. Love the characters.
Shabrina Ws
"kau adalah kau, sama seperti aku adalah aku. Tidak lebih, tidak kurang"
Beverly J.
Super cute :-)
Julia Brumfield
I loved how this book starts out: "In a burst of laughter and moonshine one fine and beautiful evening, Fluttterby was born". The author has an amazing way with words - so descriptive, so simple and so clear. And then to have them completed by such beautiful illustrations.

The plot has so many similarities with the original "Serendipity" although one is of the air and one is of the sea while the latter didn't emphasize this lesson although it was there.
As with the other Serendipity books that I have read, "Flutterby" deals with issues of self-discovery and making peace with simply being oneself.
Stephen Cosgrove writes with a light touch, yet manages to fit a good amount of meaning into the few pages that comprise most of his stories. Flutterby's journey to find out who she is and what she is meant to do will easily be identified with by any readers that have encountered similar situations in their own lives.
Beautifully illustrated and a sweet little story with morale. A wonderful story to share with your loved ones.
This is a wonderful book series for kids that want to work toward reading chapter books but are not quiet there yet. Every other page has a beautiful illustration next to a page that is not overwhelming with text.

I remember reading this as a kid and loving it. What girl wouldn't love a story of a flying tiny horse?
Lindsay Kendal
OMG! I have been looking for this book for years. I had this when I was a little girl and I loved it so much. The illustrations are so beautiful. I used to want to have my very own Flutterby. I've searched and search for this book, and I have just this very minute found it and ordered it. I cannot wait to receive it.
I hated to read when I was young, the stories in childrens' books just never caught my interest unless it was about animals. Dr. Seuss, and Clifford the Big Red Dog were some other series' I like but still not as interesting as the Serendipity books. As well as zoobooks and non-fictional writing about animals.
As a child, I was absolutely entranced by this little winged horse. This was one of my most cherished books because of both the delightful story and the wonderful artistry. I would recommend any of Cosgrove's books to children (and some folks older than children, too), but this one is especially noteworthy.
Love the illustrations, but the story could be better. And the moral is a bit confusing.
Ok, but I've seen better books with this message: Be who you are. I like the mini winged horse, but horses have always attracted me. The butterfly does give some good advice by pointing out what the horse can do and giving her a task to do. I liked that.
This Serendipity entry was about discovering who you are by doing what you do. A cute book with great pictures to illustrate to kids that who they are can be both similar and unique.
Check out my blog, Books from Bleh to Basically Amazing for my thoughts and memories of the Serendipity series!
I miss this book. Someone buy it for me. I loved these books when I was a kid. The illustrations are beautiful and the stories are sweet. SO girly!
A childhood fav that resulted in us kids looking for pegasus cocoons and tiny pegasuses flitting about our garden. So cute, so sweet
What's Dat
This Serendipity books were my all time favorite kids books back in the early 80's. Total and complete excellence.
Ann Kennedy
This book was the beginning of my interest in fantasy and artwork. Loved it as a young girl.
Feb 08, 2011 Dawn added it
hahahaha, i loved this book when i was a kid, i would skip class and hide reading it in the library
I just LOVE the serendipity series for my children, great stories and great Art!
Emily Kudeviz
My favorite. Ever. Seriously. Flutterby makes me warm inside. xD
loved this as a kid, had my Dad read it to me all the time :o)
Kasandra B.
Feb 10, 2008 Kasandra B. rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: adults who want to be childish~!
adorable book i found at an antique store. perfect for children :D
Jean Eleazar
cute, great Lesson! nice illustration and story. <3
Feb 04, 2010 Alexa added it
Flutterby (Serendipity) by Stephen Cosgrove (1995)
This was one of my favorite books as a child.
Lovely cover. Pretty illustrations. Cute ending.
  • Mister Dog:  The Dog Who Belonged to Himself (Little Golden Book)
  • Can I Get There by Candlelight?
  • Dear Children of the Earth
  • Mr. Happy (Mr. Men, #3)
  • Farewell to Shady Glade
  • Hairy Maclary's Rumpus at the Vet (Picture Puffin)
  • Me Too, Iguana
  • Little Rabbit's Loose Tooth
  • Where's Waldo: Ultimate Fun Book
  • The Market Square Dog
  • Where Have the Unicorns Gone?
  • Pinduli
  • Dinotopia: Journey to Chandara
  • The Three Snow Bears

Serendipity (1 - 10 of 70 books)
  • Bangalee
  • Buttermilk (Serendipity)
  • Buttermilk Bear
  • Butterwings
  • Cap'n Smudge
  • Catundra
  • Crabby Gabby (Serendipity)
  • Creolé