Start by marking “Serendipity” as Want to Read:

Serendipity (Serendipity)

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  1,820 ratings  ·  68 reviews
A large sea creature discovers she has important work to do as guardian of all the seas.
Published February 1st 1995 by Price Stern Sloan (first published January 1st 1974)

To ask other readers questions about Serendipity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Serendipity

Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleThe Giving Tree by Shel SilversteinGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussGoodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown
Best Children's Books
210th out of 3,422 books — 5,084 voters
Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleCharlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteThe Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein
Best children's books EVER
413th out of 1,112 books — 1,371 voters

More lists with this book...

Just because I actually remember it means it was worth a five star. My love of big eyed animals began with the Cosgrove books.
Ahmad Sharabiani
Feb 06, 2015 Ahmad Sharabiani marked it as to-read
Serendipity, Stephen Cosgrove
The Winter Rose
Oh Serendipity books, how I love thee.
These along with the Whisper the Winged Unicorn series were my favorites as a child. Love them. They always had such great messages. There was so much warmth in the stories and the artwork.
Emosians Framboise
the moral values of the book awe-inspiring
not only for the kids as well for the adults

hmmm.. i think serendipity is an isshi イッシー
(Loch Ness Monster)

serendipity was uncovering her exceptional innerself not usually looking into it... the core value of the fable is people intend to keep searching for who they are usually ends up not knowing their self more... sometimes only taking chances gives us opportunity to know your TRUE self.

in the end she found herself as well her happiness...

she discover h
I remembered this series from my childhood, my mom and brothers & sister reading these stories to me. I remembered that I had this book in my overly crowded bookshelf and decided to bring this and others in the series out for my stepson. He is 11 and he was enchanted with this story. I have never really read allowed before to someone that is that age - and yet I did this time - and he enjoyed it. My stepson doesn't really enjoy reading as much as I do - he is not a bookworm and would rather ...more
My favorite series of books EVER! I love the story -always with a good moral. I love the art work -so beautiful and imaginative. I borrowed these most precious books from my mother so I can read them to my kids.
So happy to hear that they are being reprinted! What a treasure!!!!
As a child I remember searching the library for these little Cosgrove books, They were my favorite, I always tried finding one I haven't read yet which was difficult because I ate these stories up! Enjoyable childhood stories. I plan on buying a collection of these books for my daughter.
Kitty Kereszturi
Jul 25, 2008 Kitty Kereszturi rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: kids/kids at heart
Recommended to Kitty by: my mom
I'm not going to comment on each individual book by this author but I grew up reading them all as a child. I have a huge collection of these books, which are mostly out of print. They were by far my favorite childhood stories and the illustrations are beautiful. Each tale has a moral at the end, which elucidates the book's theme. When I look at these books, it is like spending time with a cherised childhood friend. I love them all dearly. Some of my favorites include Dragolin, Bangalee, and all ...more
Jul 08, 2014 Natlukens added it
Shelves: childhood
I totally forgot about these picture books that were my absolute favorite when I was little, especially if they had dragons or horses. Shimmeree I remember especially for some reason. I just loved the illustrations.
Julia Brumfield
A beautiful book with easy writing and some gorgeous pictures (not as beautiful as some of the other Serendipity illustrations). The story introduces us to the main character of the series, which is an unknown sea creature born from a mysterious egg resting on an iceberg.

Being one of the first stories there are actually two lessons although like each other book in the series the main one is the one that emphasized.

The only thing I found wrong with this one is that all the fishes were to gath
Alexandra Corinth
i loved this book when i was a kid, and especially loved the film adaptation. but, as an adult, i find the book kind of disturbing? idk. i need to reread it again.

*this has been not-a-review by me*
Kristine Sprunger
I read this when I was a kid and loved it ... and want to find my copy. Because I'd read it again. With my adult brain and everything!
Sep 09, 2014 Dee rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Any child.
Recommended to Dee by: Our elementary school librarian.
Excellent lessons, with colourful illustrations and easy-to-read format for children.
Raena Mceuin
This is a classic little book a lot of people my age had read to them at a young age. This is the first of a series.'Serendipity' is the story about a large pink sea monster who discovers she has important work to do as guardian of the seas. The moral is knowing who you really are will bring you happiness. A lot of the other books in the series cover topics of this nature, they teach kids to deal with everyday situations in the world they live in. It provides them with positive solutions to diff ...more
David Turnblom
May 10, 2015 David Turnblom rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who still enjoys memories of their childhood, or those who are still in their childhood.
Enjoyed when I was a child. Still enjoy.
I loved this as a kid!
Katie (Beveroth) Rider
Oct 07, 2008 Katie (Beveroth) Rider rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Katie by: My Dad
Shelves: childrens
My dad read all of these books to me growing up. I loved the little rhyme at the beginning and the moral at the end of the story. Terrific stories and illustrations; a multitude of characters to love. I also remember learning to read these books for the first time and struggling with the vocabulary. In particular, I remember getting angry with my brother for telling me the words and not letting me sound them out myself...brothers...
This a beautifully illustrated tale to share with the young ones you love. The story is just as wonderful as the pictures.
The Serendipity family of books was a treasured part of my childhood. There seemed to be hundreds of these things, all featuring hippyish illustrations of various creatures with heavily-lashed, sad liquid eyes a la the famous Gig “big-eye” paintings.

This is the story that gave the series its name. It contains a genuine (if heavy-handed) message against polluting the oceans and mistreating the creatures who live in it.
To me, this is a classic among children's books. I loved it as a child, and I'm nostalgic over it as an adult. Cosgrove creates wonderful stories for children that combine fantastical characters with meaningful lessons. The illustrations are absolutely fabulous and could capture the imagination of any child. I highly recommend this and the rest of Cosgrove's books.
Aug 26, 2011 Jessica rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
Every book in this series is amazing. These books are my first memories of books. My mom used to read them to me from birth onward. I learned to read while reading of Serendipity, Catundra, the Gnome from Nome, etc. I loved every one of them and the illustrations are amazing. Recommend them to everyone, old or young. Fabulous books with great lessons.
The Serendipity series always leaves me with a balmy, peaceful (nostalgic) feeling, as though I've just traveled somewhere else where my own world doesn't exist. I know they are just simple little books, but the illustrations and basic storylines create the perfect atmosphere and have the feeling of a fairytale (even though they aren't).
Jun 02, 2009 Kansasinjapan rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: all age groups
Recommended to Kansasinjapan by: my mother
The Serendipity series has been a part of my life since they first started being published. As a child the vivid artwork by Robin James and the magic of the story was more than enough to ensnare my imagination. At one point I owned all of the books. Each book contains a "moral" that although present does not become preachy.
oh man!
these are horrible! but wonderful!
every library day in elementary school I was there -
with my ruler in hand (which we used to mark the spot where we took out a book to put them back in the right spot for the evil, lazy Mrs.E...) for more serendipity books like a wee little toe-headed crack fiend in a pair of purple leggings.
Understandably, this book would no longer be interesting to me because it is a children's/picture book, but when I was 5 or 6, I loved the Serendipity books. At the time, I thought they were the best books I had ever read. For a child, all of those books could transport you to a completely different world.
Feb 09, 2008 Bree rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Bree by: my mom
I was read this book by my mother and I always liked paging thru it. She was a pink water horse which appealed to my girliness and now as I read it to my kids, I like the message, be nice to everyone and everything. The planet is worth taking care of cuz how we treat it affects all of us.
As a little girl I loved all books featuring illustrations of doe-eyed creatures, naturally. My mother despised giving me these kinds of books as they did not further my education or broaden my imagination in her mind, but they still made an impression and often had interesting morals.
This is a book I've had since I was much younger, and it became the source of my favorite word.

Serendipity is a young dragon who doesn't know what she is, but she quickly learns what purpose she has in the world. It's a great read to get kids interested in environmental issues.
This is a very nice book, well written and with illustrations from Robin James that fit the text agreeably.
Stephen Cosgrove's text is spare, but delivers his intelligently-felt points with dead-on ability. "Serendipity" is, in my view, a significantly notable book.
  • Dear Children of the Earth
  • Six by Seuss
  • The Tale of Ginger and Pickles
  • The Berenstain Bears Get the Gimmies
  • Grover and the Everything in the Whole Wide World Museum

Serendipity (1 - 10 of 70 books)
  • Bangalee
  • Buttermilk (Serendipity)
  • Buttermilk Bear
  • Butterwings
  • Cap'n Smudge
  • Catundra
  • Crabby Gabby (Serendipity)
  • Creolé