Recovery from Cults: Help for Victims of Psychological and Spiritual Abuse

Recovery from Cults: Help for Victims of Psychological and Spiritual Abuse

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  12 ratings  ·  3 reviews
Michael Langone and his colleagues provide practical guidelines for helping former cult members manage the problems they encounter when leaving cults.
Published June 17th 1995 by W. W. Norton & Company (first published January 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Recovery from Cults, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Recovery from Cults

Luna Lindsey
One of the better books about cults, as told from the secular perspective (as opposed to the dogmatic perspective). This is a collection of essays and papers from some of the top researchers in the field, many of them ex-cult members themselves. I have referenced this book again and again when writing presentations, websites, and blog posts on the topic.

I especially enjoyed the story of the woman who infiltrated a Moonies recruitment camp. Even though she understood the mechanisms of coercive pe...more
Colin
This book is a collection of several writers, edited by cult expert Michael Langone. It accomplishes a lot -- some chapters are written by survivors, some to survivors, others to those who are in helping professions. Plenty of advice, perspective, experience, and even historical background for the entire mission of cult recovery. The subtitle is important, because an unhealthy church, human-potential group, or ideological movement can create psychological and spiritual harm.
Megan
Here I sit, stunned at how this book has shown me my childhood. It only mentions by name a few different groups that are considered a cult (for demonstration purposes) but if it hadn't specifically mentioned one group, I would have thought it was a story about my childhood religion. Uggh....I felt physically ill as I read this book because I could identify so completely with it.
Lee
Lee marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
Rae
Rae marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
Paul Galloway
Paul Galloway marked it as to-read
May 08, 2014
Prema
Prema added it
Aug 19, 2014
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2014
Heather Banta
Heather Banta marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2013
Jean
Jean marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2013
Tomas Wey
Tomas Wey marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2013
Kathleen Peacock
Kathleen Peacock marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2013
Gwen Douglas
Gwen Douglas marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2013
Felis
Felis marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2013
Georgina
Georgina marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2013
Vanessa
Vanessa marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2013
Claire
Claire marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2013
Gabrielle
Gabrielle marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2012
Carolyne Mas
Carolyne Mas marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2012
Sarah added it
Oct 05, 2012
Cults: What Parents Should Know: A Practical Guide to Help Parents with Children in Destructive Groups