Start by marking “Recovery from Cults: Help for Victims of Psychological and Spiritual Abuse” as Want to Read:
Recovery from Cults: Help for Victims of Psychological and Spiritual Abuse

Recovery from Cults: Help for Victims of Psychological and Spiritual Abuse

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating Details  ·  18 Ratings  ·  4 Reviews
Michael Langone and his colleagues provide practical guidelines for helping former cult members manage the problems they encounter when leaving cults.
Published June 17th 1995 by W. W. Norton & Company (first published January 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Recovery from Cults, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Recovery from Cults

Luna Lindsey
Sep 03, 2010 Luna Lindsey rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cults
One of the better books about cults, as told from the secular perspective (as opposed to the dogmatic perspective). This is a collection of essays and papers from some of the top researchers in the field, many of them ex-cult members themselves. I have referenced this book again and again when writing presentations, websites, and blog posts on the topic.

I especially enjoyed the story of the woman who infiltrated a Moonies recruitment camp. Even though she understood the mechanisms of coercive pe
Colin
Jan 20, 2008 Colin rated it it was amazing
This book is a collection of several writers, edited by cult expert Michael Langone. It accomplishes a lot -- some chapters are written by survivors, some to survivors, others to those who are in helping professions. Plenty of advice, perspective, experience, and even historical background for the entire mission of cult recovery. The subtitle is important, because an unhealthy church, human-potential group, or ideological movement can create psychological and spiritual harm.
Ken Garrett
Aug 27, 2015 Ken Garrett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a compilation of essays, articles, papers, etc., by religious, secular, and medical/psychiatric experts in the field of cults-abusive groups. Eastern religious cults, self-improvement/counseling cults, political cults, and religious/Christian cults are covered from many angles.

Pros: The consistency of methods and processes of mind-alteration/control found in all abusive groups and cults is remarkable and enlightening. The reader who completes this book will have a very clear idea of
Megan
Aug 13, 2009 Megan rated it really liked it
Here I sit, stunned at how this book has shown me my childhood. It only mentions by name a few different groups that are considered a cult (for demonstration purposes) but if it hadn't specifically mentioned one group, I would have thought it was a story about my childhood religion. Uggh....I felt physically ill as I read this book because I could identify so completely with it.
David Jardine
David Jardine marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2016
follow the river marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2016
Bev Burrell
Bev Burrell marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2016
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2015
Shannon Egan
Shannon Egan is currently reading it
Nov 07, 2015
Christian Fahey
Christian Fahey marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2015
Neveragain Nomore
Neveragain Nomore marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2015
Victoria
Victoria marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2015
Tony Seigh
Tony Seigh rated it really liked it
Nov 24, 2015
Halide
Halide marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2015
Shannon Egan
Shannon Egan rated it liked it
Sep 22, 2015
Ellie Harding
Ellie Harding rated it really liked it
Aug 10, 2015
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2015
stef
stef marked it as to-read
May 29, 2015
Sarah Stanley
Sarah Stanley marked it as to-read
May 27, 2015
Bookish
Bookish marked it as to-read
May 02, 2015
Scott
Scott marked it as to-read
May 07, 2015
Liz
Liz marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2015
Amanda Moore
Amanda Moore marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2015
 Croe
Croe marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2015
Melanie
Melanie marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2015
Jenna Galbut
Jenna Galbut marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2015
Kendall Beachey
Kendall Beachey is currently reading it
Jan 04, 2015
Jill
Jill marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014