Start by marking “Charmed & Dangerous (Bronwyn the Witch, #1)” as Want to Read:
Charmed & Dangerous (Bronwyn the Witch, #1)

Charmed & Dangerous (Bronwyn the Witch #1)

3.60  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,068 Ratings  ·  117 Reviews
She has no problem fighting bad guys-but lots of problems finding a good one.

With her globetrotting career of protecting the British Prime Minister, Bronwyn isn't your ordinary witch. But her powers can't help her decide between a sexy Sheik and the town doctor, who happens to be a warlock-and more than worthy of a liplock.
Published December 4th 2007 by Berkley (first published September 6th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Charmed & Dangerous, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Charmed & Dangerous

Amanda The Book Slayer
I have an addition to the review below. If you are sitting on the fence about this series I suggest you take a look. All quotes are directly from the book exactly the way they are published.

First Review Attempt
-to avoid confusion on why I did not like this book I have taken the time to finish reading this book. Therefore, my Second Review is my complete review for this book that I have read.

I did not originally rate this book due to only reading 6 pages and skimming the last 30, but upon furth
Julie
Sep 14, 2009 Julie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Bronwyn's job is not exactly conventional. She's a witch who not only fights off warlocks, demons, and evil zombies, but gets paid to do it. She protects the Prime Minister and is his personal body guard. She also murders, plots, and shoots fire from her hands while blowing up cars in the process. Bronwyn is not a witch to be reckoned with, although being a magical body guard does tend to get in the way of having anything that resembles a normal love life.

I made it to exactly page 35 of this boo
Elley Murray
Aug 27, 2012 Elley Murray rated it did not like it
Shelves: unreadable
Author just used "funky" twice in the same sentence. All-time literature low? Sadly, probably not, but page 2 and I'm already totally sick of this book. Oh, sorry - page 5.

Made it all the way to page 14 before literally throwing the book in the garbage. And I almost never completely abandon a book. I at least make it halfway before leaving it for a few weeks to read something else, then coming back to it. This was just beyond terrible.
Jacob Proffitt
Sep 10, 2013 Jacob Proffitt rated it really liked it
So I picked this one up against my better judgment. I’m so glad I did. I don’t mind epistolary novels as much as some people do, but only if they’re willing to abandon the conceit when it comes to dialogue. This is a good example of such. While technically epistolary, it functions more as a way to put it in first person limited (past tense) with timestamps to aid narrative flow. I see this as a good thing—or at least, not a strike against the book.

And the first person works well, here, because t
Crystal
Oct 28, 2009 Crystal rated it did not like it
Shelves: coverart, 2009
I was very disappointed with this book. From the first few paragraphs, I did not like the character's voice, but kept reading, hoping the story itself would engage me. The dialogue was stilted (though that may have just been in contrast to the main character's commentary).
Instead of showing us that this woman was a powerful witch, we saw unimpressive spells and had the other characters commenting on how powerfully she executed them. It seemed as though every other conversation her "great powe
Tammy
3.5 stars.
This was a fun read and I really enjoyed Bronwyn. The book is written in diary-like days and I didn't like that at first but I got used to it.
Bronwyn is a very powerful 'High Witch' who works as a protector to the Prime Minister. Through this she has met Sheik Arik, who is working with the PM to help solve a world-wide energy crisis but someone is trying to kill them both. Bronwyn is asked to protect the Sheik as well.
Just to make things more interesting, someone has put a million doll
Michele Faith
Nov 02, 2012 Michele Faith rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I tried, I really did. I was ready for some fun, light reading. Pushed my way through to page 57 and just had to give it up. I tried to overlook the excessive use of crude sexual remarks, seemingly thrown in there for shock value. I rolled my eyes at the commonly heard of high end shoe designers, which seemed to be thrown in there to show the author watched SATC. But, the scene where the warlock strolls into the restaurant, intent on killing Bronwyn, and yells "You can't tell me what to do witch ...more
Sonia
Even though the format of this was slightly irritating - as it is set out like Bridget's Jones' Dairy (the start of each entry has the day, the time, location, number of spells and another count of some sort - Happy witches, dead guys, pissed off witches, confused witches, etc) and some of what is written is too stilted to be a diary entry and supposedly written when exhausted but it was, overall, an enjoyable read.

My irritation with the format meant it took me a little longer to get into the l
JenniferJ
Fun and light witchy romance! A warlock is causing havoc in Bronwyn's charges lives and he must be stopped but first she has to figure out who the culprit is. While she is tring to protect her clients she has no clue who the culprit is really after or why and it's just a fluffy mystery as the story unfolds.
Sarah Crawford
Jan 24, 2016 Sarah Crawford rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bronwyn is a witch, and works basically as a magical guard to the British Prime Minister. She's incredibly powerful, and serves to protect people from others who would harm them. She also becomes involved trying to protect a sheik from a cousin that tries to poison him.

The book is written in a very interesting format, in that it's written in a diary form, with Bronwyn summarizing what has happened to her. There's a lot that happens, what with all the magical spells, the attempts on her life, ev
Melody
May 03, 2014 Melody rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kick-butt woman takes time off while saving the world to join the mile-high club with a total stranger. That about sums up the character of our heroine. Later she resolves a love triangle but choosing the most convenient one. It seemed a rather arbitrary decision which could change if circumstances change. If you don't enjoy seeing an awesome guy get his heart broken you might want to skip this book.

The book was fairly entertaining but the final showdown with the bad guy was flat. I left in the
Michelle
Aug 27, 2011 Michelle marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I got to page 10 and couldn't take it any longer. I DO NOT like her style of writing.
Barbara ★
A day in the life of a modern witch - written in the first person point of view in diary form. So not my favorite writing style. It jumps around and it just isn't that interesting.

Bronwyn provides magical protection for the Prime Minister of England, among other things. At a meeting in Norway, the Prime Minister is meeting with Sheik Azir of Dubai, whose cousin is trying to kill him. Bronwyn gets roped into protecting him too. A lot of time in Dubai follows which is a tad boring. Bronwyn recent
Sherri Hunter
Oct 15, 2009 Sherri Hunter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The description of this book doesn't give justice to how entertaining this story turned out to be. This is the first book in a series about a high witch who has taken an oath to use her powers to protect the innocent and rid the world of evil. But that doesn't even scratch the surface. Bronwyn has a feisty spirit who finds herself literally in the middle between two men who both want her, one is a Warlock who she knows she shouldn't have feelings for but does and the other is an Arab Sheik who s ...more
Juju221
Aug 01, 2010 Juju221 rated it really liked it
I know, some of you are going to ask how I came across these books, the simple answer is, I fell in lust with the cover of the Demon King and I, went on Candace Haven's website, got it and the sequel (both of which I really enjoyed and reviewed) and came across the Bronwyn books, loved the titles, thought the synopsis sounded fun and went off to search for them, and search I did. These books (with the exception of Charmed and Ready) were difficult to buy, which is why I love Amazon Market Place, ...more
Beth
Sep 19, 2013 Beth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think the negative reviews are overly harsh, but can't agree with the glowing ones, either. It's an okay story, and I'm mindful that it's the author's first novel. First novels in a series are often not the best ones.

The heroine seemed a little TOO powerful for me to get really involved in her adventures. I knew from the get-go that she was powerful enough she was going to get out of any scrape. There wasn't really any question of anything going wrong. She's sort of the Wonder Woman of the wi
Kim
Oct 25, 2007 Kim rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of paranormal fiction
This was a quick read that was moderately entertaining, but doesn't offer much to make it stand above the mass of paranormal fiction that's out there. There's just something that keeps me from caring too much about the main character, a witch named Bronwyn who works for the prime minister of England. She's the most powerful witch around, and with not one but two gorgeous guys lusting after her, comes a bit too close to Mary Sue territory for comfort. Her main object of lust is a doctor named Sam ...more
Cherie
Apr 15, 2008 Cherie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bronwyn is a high Witch, working as a kind of one-witch secret service to the British Prime Minister. Her arsenal includes a combination of potions, spells, explosions, mind-reading tricks, and general butt-kicking skills. While she's traveling the globe to protect the PM and a middle eastern sheik (I'm not sure that she actually ever specifies what country he's from), she's pining for her warlock back home, Dr. Sam... despite the fact that she's promised herself not to fall for any man—especial ...more
Ana
Dec 13, 2013 Ana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kesha
Feb 20, 2014 Kesha rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I didn't hate this book but I didn't like it too much either. I think the two men falling in love with Bron was so not necessary. Sam was not needed, I liked the Sheikh so much better. This book could have been at least 100 pages shorter, it just felt like it went on forever. I will not be reading the rest of this series, no matter how much I like the Sheikh.
Ariel
May 23, 2015 Ariel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bronwyn is a witch, and she uses her powers to protect people. She works for the British Prime Minister, and a sexy Sheik Azir. She can’t figure out who wants them dead, and then add in the sexy new doctor in town which just happens to also be a warlock. She has to travel the world and watch the back of her clients and leave Doctor Sam who she wants in her bed.
This book is written like a diary, with entries on different days and times. It’s cool but also a little annoying only because it jumps
Mindy
Apr 11, 2016 Mindy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I almost quit reading this book after 20 pages because it just seemed so stupid that I didn't want to run the risk of losing brain cells while reading. But I decided to give it a chance and it ended up being kinda cute. The book is about this witch, Bronwyn, who has a job to protect a Prime Minister and then a Sheik. Tossed in there is a nice romance between the witch and the new doctor in town, Sam. So Bronwyn is kicking Warlock butt and all the other time dreaming of hot sex. The great america ...more
Jaylee
No. omg no. told in a "stream of consciousness" diary entry style, first person present tense, and the character's voice is horrible. if I had seen the original cover, I would've never picked it up, lol, since the original cover is exactly how this story feels. However my cover was lovely. unfortunately. DNF at 7 pages and I regret reading even that much eugh.
Starry
Nov 24, 2013 Starry marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Katrina Knittle
This was a quick and fun read. I will admit I had to get used the writing format which was in diary style. After getting used to that it was very good book. There was a lot going on. A great read.
Bitten_by_Books
Jan 09, 2009 Bitten_by_Books rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: virginia
Charmed & Dangerous is the first book in the Bronwyn the Witch series. Bronwyn lives in Sweet, TX, but somehow her life is never quiet and dull. She is always jet setting off to protect the Prime Minister. Through the PM, she meets Sheik Azir, who also wants her to protect him. Bronwyn has a rule that she never dates clients, but she finds herself attracted to the sheik all the same...

For the entire review please go to the Best Paranormal & Urban Fantasy Review site on the web, Bitten By
Le Anne
I loved this series and recommend to everyone who is looking for a good read with a strong lead and a hint of humor.
Michele
Jul 04, 2014 Michele rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I had a difficult time with the diary writing style, not too fond of that. it was an ok story line, probably won't read on on the series.
Xeyra
I read this book during my vacation, on the beach. It was a quick and enjoyable read, funny and light. It wasn't memorable, though. I loved the main character, her dry wit and way of dealing with things, I liked the whole supernatural angle and how magic seemed to mix in with the world quite well, but the book didn't awe me. I read it really quickly and enjoyed it a lot, but that was it. And I do think the main character was a bit... Mary-Sue-ish... A really powerful and attractive High Witch th ...more
Celena Ford
It was a great book! It kind of reminded me of the Charmed tv show in a way.
  • The Scot, the Witch and the Wardrobe (Accidental Witch Trilogy, #3)
  • Witch in the House
  • Blonde with a Wand (Babes on Brooms, #1)
  • Magic and the Modern Girl (Jane Madison, #3)
  • Wicked by Any Other Name (Hex, #3)
  • Romancing the Dead (Garnet Lacey, #3)
  • Would-Be Witch (Southern Witch #1)
  • A Stroke of Magic (Magic, #2)
  • The Seventh Witch (Ophelia & Abby, #7)
  • Wednesday Night Witches
  • Date Me, Baby, One More Time (Immortally Sexy, #1)
Bestselling author Candace Havens has written six novels for Berkley including, Charmed & Dangerous, Charmed & Ready, Charmed & Deadly, Like A Charm, The Demon King and I and Dragons Prefer Blondes. She has also written four books for Harlequin's Blaze line, including Take Me If You Dare, She Who Dares, Wins, Truth and Dare, and The Model Marine. Candace's work is also featured in Spir ...more
More about Candace Havens...

Bronwyn the Witch (3 books)
  • Charmed & Ready (Bronwyn the Witch, #2)
  • Charmed & Deadly (Bronwyn the Witch, #3)