Start by marking “Charmed & Dangerous (Bronwyn the Witch, #1)” as Want to Read:
Charmed & Dangerous (Bronwyn the Witch, #1)

Charmed & Dangerous (Bronwyn the Witch #1)

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  1,774 ratings  ·  103 reviews
She has no problem fighting bad guys-but lots of problems finding a good one.

With her globetrotting career of protecting the British Prime Minister, Bronwyn isn't your ordinary witch. But her powers can't help her decide between a sexy Sheik and the town doctor, who happens to be a warlock-and more than worthy of a liplock.
Published December 4th 2007 by Berkley (first published September 6th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Charmed & Dangerous, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Charmed & Dangerous

Amanda The Book Slayer
I have an addition to the review below. If you are sitting on the fence about this series I suggest you take a look. All quotes are directly from the book exactly the way they are published.

First Review Attempt
-to avoid confusion on why I did not like this book I have taken the time to finish reading this book. Therefore, my Second Review is my complete review for this book that I have read.

I did not originally rate this book due to only reading 6 pages and skimming the last 30, but upon furth
Julie
Bronwyn's job is not exactly conventional. She's a witch who not only fights off warlocks, demons, and evil zombies, but gets paid to do it. She protects the Prime Minister and is his personal body guard. She also murders, plots, and shoots fire from her hands while blowing up cars in the process. Bronwyn is not a witch to be reckoned with, although being a magical body guard does tend to get in the way of having anything that resembles a normal love life.

I made it to exactly page 35 of this boo
Elley Murray
Author just used "funky" twice in the same sentence. All-time literature low? Sadly, probably not, but page 2 and I'm already totally sick of this book. Oh, sorry - page 5.

Made it all the way to page 14 before literally throwing the book in the garbage. And I almost never completely abandon a book. I at least make it halfway before leaving it for a few weeks to read something else, then coming back to it. This was just beyond terrible.
Jacob Proffitt
So I picked this one up against my better judgment. I’m so glad I did. I don’t mind epistolary novels as much as some people do, but only if they’re willing to abandon the conceit when it comes to dialogue. This is a good example of such. While technically epistolary, it functions more as a way to put it in first person limited (past tense) with timestamps to aid narrative flow. I see this as a good thing—or at least, not a strike against the book.

And the first person works well, here, because t
Crystal
I was very disappointed with this book. From the first few paragraphs, I did not like the character's voice, but kept reading, hoping the story itself would engage me. The dialogue was stilted (though that may have just been in contrast to the main character's commentary).
Instead of showing us that this woman was a powerful witch, we saw unimpressive spells and had the other characters commenting on how powerfully she executed them. It seemed as though every other conversation her "great powe
Tammy
3.5 stars.
This was a fun read and I really enjoyed Bronwyn. The book is written in diary-like days and I didn't like that at first but I got used to it.
Bronwyn is a very powerful 'High Witch' who works as a protector to the Prime Minister. Through this she has met Sheik Arik, who is working with the PM to help solve a world-wide energy crisis but someone is trying to kill them both. Bronwyn is asked to protect the Sheik as well.
Just to make things more interesting, someone has put a million doll
Michele Faith
I tried, I really did. I was ready for some fun, light reading. Pushed my way through to page 57 and just had to give it up. I tried to overlook the excessive use of crude sexual remarks, seemingly thrown in there for shock value. I rolled my eyes at the commonly heard of high end shoe designers, which seemed to be thrown in there to show the author watched SATC. But, the scene where the warlock strolls into the restaurant, intent on killing Bronwyn, and yells "You can't tell me what to do witch ...more
JenniferJ
Fun and light witchy romance! A warlock is causing havoc in Bronwyn's charges lives and he must be stopped but first she has to figure out who the culprit is. While she is tring to protect her clients she has no clue who the culprit is really after or why and it's just a fluffy mystery as the story unfolds.
Melody
Kick-butt woman takes time off while saving the world to join the mile-high club with a total stranger. That about sums up the character of our heroine. Later she resolves a love triangle but choosing the most convenient one. It seemed a rather arbitrary decision which could change if circumstances change. If you don't enjoy seeing an awesome guy get his heart broken you might want to skip this book.

The book was fairly entertaining but the final showdown with the bad guy was flat. I left in the
Michelle
Aug 27, 2011 Michelle marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I got to page 10 and couldn't take it any longer. I DO NOT like her style of writing.
Barbara ★
A day in the life of a modern witch - written in the first person point of view in diary form. So not my favorite writing style. It jumps around and it just isn't that interesting.

Bronwyn provides magical protection for the Prime Minister of England, among other things. At a meeting in Norway, the Prime Minister is meeting with Sheik Azir of Dubai, whose cousin is trying to kill him. Bronwyn gets roped into protecting him too. A lot of time in Dubai follows which is a tad boring. Bronwyn recent
Sharal Hunter
The description of this book doesn't give justice to how entertaining this story turned out to be. This is the first book in a series about a high witch who has taken an oath to use her powers to protect the innocent and rid the world of evil. But that doesn't even scratch the surface. Bronwyn has a feisty spirit who finds herself literally in the middle between two men who both want her, one is a Warlock who she knows she shouldn't have feelings for but does and the other is an Arab Sheik who s ...more
Juju221
I know, some of you are going to ask how I came across these books, the simple answer is, I fell in lust with the cover of the Demon King and I, went on Candace Haven's website, got it and the sequel (both of which I really enjoyed and reviewed) and came across the Bronwyn books, loved the titles, thought the synopsis sounded fun and went off to search for them, and search I did. These books (with the exception of Charmed and Ready) were difficult to buy, which is why I love Amazon Market Place, ...more
Beth
I think the negative reviews are overly harsh, but can't agree with the glowing ones, either. It's an okay story, and I'm mindful that it's the author's first novel. First novels in a series are often not the best ones.

The heroine seemed a little TOO powerful for me to get really involved in her adventures. I knew from the get-go that she was powerful enough she was going to get out of any scrape. There wasn't really any question of anything going wrong. She's sort of the Wonder Woman of the wi
Kim
Oct 25, 2007 Kim rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of paranormal fiction
This was a quick read that was moderately entertaining, but doesn't offer much to make it stand above the mass of paranormal fiction that's out there. There's just something that keeps me from caring too much about the main character, a witch named Bronwyn who works for the prime minister of England. She's the most powerful witch around, and with not one but two gorgeous guys lusting after her, comes a bit too close to Mary Sue territory for comfort. Her main object of lust is a doctor named Sam ...more
Cherie
Bronwyn is a high Witch, working as a kind of one-witch secret service to the British Prime Minister. Her arsenal includes a combination of potions, spells, explosions, mind-reading tricks, and general butt-kicking skills. While she's traveling the globe to protect the PM and a middle eastern sheik (I'm not sure that she actually ever specifies what country he's from), she's pining for her warlock back home, Dr. Sam... despite the fact that she's promised herself not to fall for any man—especial ...more
Ana
Kesha
I didn't hate this book but I didn't like it too much either. I think the two men falling in love with Bron was so not necessary. Sam was not needed, I liked the Sheikh so much better. This book could have been at least 100 pages shorter, it just felt like it went on forever. I will not be reading the rest of this series, no matter how much I like the Sheikh.
Starry
Nov 24, 2013 Starry marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Katrina Knittle
This was a quick and fun read. I will admit I had to get used the writing format which was in diary style. After getting used to that it was very good book. There was a lot going on. A great read.
Bitten_by_Books
Charmed & Dangerous is the first book in the Bronwyn the Witch series. Bronwyn lives in Sweet, TX, but somehow her life is never quiet and dull. She is always jet setting off to protect the Prime Minister. Through the PM, she meets Sheik Azir, who also wants her to protect him. Bronwyn has a rule that she never dates clients, but she finds herself attracted to the sheik all the same...

For the entire review please go to the Best Paranormal & Urban Fantasy Review site on the web, Bitten By
Michele
I had a difficult time with the diary writing style, not too fond of that. it was an ok story line, probably won't read on on the series.
Xeyra
I read this book during my vacation, on the beach. It was a quick and enjoyable read, funny and light. It wasn't memorable, though. I loved the main character, her dry wit and way of dealing with things, I liked the whole supernatural angle and how magic seemed to mix in with the world quite well, but the book didn't awe me. I read it really quickly and enjoyed it a lot, but that was it. And I do think the main character was a bit... Mary-Sue-ish... A really powerful and attractive High Witch th ...more
Jamie
What a funny, light read. A witch who protects humans.
faeriemyst
At first, I couldn't get too into this because I was ambivalent about Bronwyn. I had to get used to her crude way of thinking, but it did get better (or I got used to it) as the book went along. This book was perfect for what I needed, since classes pretty much take up all my brain power, even if I didn't think it was too well-written. :P The ending was a cliff-hanger so I do think I will get the next book to find out what happens. I also think the cover is misleading; the book isn't as innocent ...more
Yvonne Boag
Bronwyn is a high witch who protects the british Prime Minister from magical and non magical attacks. She lives in a little town called Sweet in Texas. This book is written in diary form very reminiscent of Brigit Jone's Diary. The writing is really quite bad. If you can get past this the story is mildly entertaining though nothing new or interesting. The plot is pretty undefined and the ending is an anticlimax. Actually don't waste your time unless you are stuck somewhere with nothing else to r ...more
De
Charmed and Dangerous is what happens when publishers see "chick lit" books with "magical" main characters fly off the shelves. In their excitement to jump on the bandwagon they forget to check if the book is actually worth publishing.

Was this book entertaining enough for me to read while I waited for my car to get an oil change and then while I had lunch by myself? YES.

Did it also immediately go in the "to donate" box in my trunk as soon as I finished it? YES.
Sabrina Poole
What a light and fun book! This book has a mix of fantasy, romance and a pinch of action. Charmed and Dangerous tells the story of Bronwyn, the main character and narrator and how she, literally, saves the world from evil doers. She is a tough chick and is one of the best witches in the world. Yet, there may be someone coming after her and wanted her to be stopped. Overall, this a light book and now I feel ready to go kick some butt on a heavy book.
Mti Librarian
I liked this book less than other books by this author I've read. It may have been the journal-like format or it could be that a lot of the events in this book are covered in other books from different perspectives.

Browyn is a modern witch, jetting around the world and using her magic and charms to protect high profile politicians from assasination. Her home base id Sweet, Texas, a quirky little town inhabited by not-quite-humans.
Christine
I started this on a Saturday and finished it the following Monday. I just couldn't put it down! The main character is funny, smart, and vulnerable, not to mention a badass witch. And she's not one of those must-hide-powers sort of gals. She works for a prime minister and a sheik, pilots her own plane, and can burn the badguys with a flick of her wrist. Toss in a hot warlock, add a love-struck sheik, and this romp is tons of fun.
  • Girl's Guide to Witchcraft (Jane Madison, #1)
  • Sex and the Psychic Witch (Triplet Witch Trilogy, #1)
  • Hex Appeal (Hex, #2)
  • Witch in the House
  • Blonde with a Wand (Babes on Brooms, #1)
  • Would-Be Witch (Southern Witch #1)
  • Tall, Dark  &  Dead (Garnet Lacey, #1)
  • Wednesday Night Witches (Red Dress Ink)
  • The Seventh Witch (Ophelia & Abby, #7)
  • Date Me, Baby, One More Time (Immortally Sexy, #1)
Bestselling author Candace Havens has written six novels for Berkley including, Charmed & Dangerous, Charmed & Ready, Charmed & Deadly, Like A Charm, The Demon King and I and Dragons Prefer Blondes. She has also written four books for Harlequin's Blaze line, including Take Me If You Dare, She Who Dares, Wins, Truth and Dare, and The Model Marine. Candace's work is also featured in Spir ...more
More about Candace Havens...
Charmed & Ready (Bronwyn the Witch, #2) Like a Charm Charmed & Deadly (Bronwyn the Witch, #3) The Demon King and I (Caruthers Sisters #1) Take it Like a Vamp