Start by marking “Envy” as Want to Read:
Envy

Envy

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  10,563 ratings  ·  828 reviews
Parker Evans religiously protects his privacy on a small island, so no one knows that he is really bestselling author Mackensie Roone. Now, Parker is secretly writing a more literary novel called Envy about the destructive rivalry between friends that leads to the imprisonment of one and the bestselling success of the other. Unabridged.
Audio, 0 pages
Published October 1st 2001 by Simon & Schuster Audio (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Envy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Envy

♥Sharon♥
 photo envycollage_zpsd7c9cd03.jpg

Envy was such a remarkable book. I have not read any other books by Sandra Brown so of course I didn't know what to expect. I read two amazing reviews and decided to give it a go.

When I started reading Envy, I could not put it down. It was that kind of book that I read every free moment I had. Finishing each chapter craving the next. I loved EVERYTHING about it. The characters, the location, the mystery.

photo 7b27959564a0f7c8c2208790694fba7b_zps519c0971.jpg

For me, what made it so great was the depth of the characters and the mystery. It was also
Mo
Living on a remote island under an assumed name, novelist Parker Evans guards his secrets well. Fascinated by this reclusive genius, publisher Maris Matherly-Reed decides to pursue him. But this new project threatens an old commitment, a commitment at the very center of her life.

There are plenty of twists and turns and some of them may be a bit predictable but they kept me on my toes.

I really don’t want to say too much about the plot. You are better off just diving into the book.

“It takes fa
Ingela
Written March 15, 2015

4.7 Stars - Top quality crime novel with a nice romance touch. Add a superb narrator making it so very exciting

At last was it time for a Sandra Brown book. My friends Karen and Mo's so beloved suspense / crime writer. I crossed my fingers for a great start to a new author with has a high pile of beloved books to choose from.
 photo image.jpg2_zpsppczicja.jpg

High Five! ~ For a new book-life with Sandra Brown
This was a great novel, with a thrilling good crime plot and a sweet romance part. I loved it all a
Tammy
Dec 30, 2008 Tammy rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of intense mysteries
Recommended to Tammy by: Terhan
Shelves: 2008-reads, suspense
Who knew Sandra Brown could write sexy and scary so well together?

My neighbor did, I suppose. She has been pushing this book off on me for the past year and I finally gave in and read it over the holiday. So glad I did!

New York publisher, Maris "Matherly" Reed, receives an intriguing manuscript regarding two college kids and an unsolved murder from someone identified only as P.M.E. She feels compelled to meet the anonymous author, so she travels to a remote Georgia island and begins snooping ar
Karen
5 STARS
 photo e7c1ce316616ebc7250e7081fd750b28.jpg

This book was SENSATIONAL!
In fact I don’t even know where to begin with this review. It is definitely the type of book that you should go into blind. Don’t read any descriptions or possible spoilers… just read the book. I will not describe the story here… it is unnecessary to do so. You are much better off in your own head with this, trust me.

What I will say is that it totally caught me off-guard. This was the first book I’ve read by Sandra Brown, and it will definitely NOT BE THE LAST.
♥Rachel♥
To all outward appearances Maris Matherly-Reed leads a charmed life and has everything. Books have been her passion every since she can remember, and she’s the sole heir to the well respected Matherly Publishing. She’s totally immersed in the literary world and has a lot of power. Maris also snagged publishing’s most eligible bachelor, Noah Reed, the author of her favorite book. She was halfway in love with him even before laying eyes on him just because of his words. But seeing how gorgeous and ...more
Didi
This is my favorite SB yet! Filled with mystery, intrigue, incredible suspense, unfathomable events and a heavy dose of sensual romance, I loved it. SB has a way of building things up, revealing little by little...making you think one thing while suspicious of another. And she does this all seamlessly and brilliantly. My mind is always working overtime when I read her work so it's no surprise I figured things out early on. It's not my keen mind but the knowledge that anything she writes has to b ...more
Glass
This summer I started to read suspense/thriller novels and they became my new obsession. Yes, there are cliches even here, but nothing that I can't get over. I thought that there would be no one better than Linda Howard. And then I started to read Sandra Brown.

Five reasons why you should read Envy:

1. Story that will keep your attention until the very end. It just pulls you in from the page one and doesn't let you go. I couldn't do anything else but read because I had to know what happens next.
Elizabeth
“Envy. That’s what this is all about. Envy."

description

Sandra Brown is one of those authors that I have been wanting to check out for a long time. I see rave reviews of her work on my friends updates and walls. Her books have been sitting on my TBR shelf forever! I simply cannot rave enough about my first Sandra Brown read! Envy has suspense, a well developed plot, intriguing characters, greed, romance, and of course envy!

description

Maris is a smart and savvy business woman. She is passionate about her job as an edi
Suzanne
5 SPELLBINDING STARS

Why I waited so long to read Sandra Brown is beyond me? I’ve read two great reviews on this novel (thankfully they gave nothing away) and a few reviews on some of her other books and all of them were 5 star raves. So, SB had been hovering at the top of my TBR list for a while…Wow, this was an EXHLARATING read!

photo EnvySB_zps255e1508.jpg

I love going in blind on a book and this one was no exception! Ms. Brown is a brilliant writer. I could hear the cicadas and feel the thick, humid air clinging to my
Ⓐlleskelle - teamSøren♗ ⊲I like big b00ks⊳
5 stars

What a brilliant book! Sandra Brown is a fantastic author!
I've read 2 books only by her so far, including this one and both turn up to be 5 stars reads.
Even though I did guess very early on what was going on in this one, she kept me on my toes and made me second guess and re-think EVERYTHING. this author.
Jamie
A great story by Sandra Brown. A near-perfect blend of romance, mystery and even suspense. The book has three focused characters. Maris, daughter of the CEO of a publishing company and editor. She is sent a prologue to a story that immediately captivates her. After some searching, she comes across the writer. The author is Parker, a bitter recluse. due to a horrid incident in his past, he was left in a wheelchair. The other main character is Noah, Maris' husband. Noah has a darker agenda to sell ...more
BJ Rose
OK, this really deserves 3.5*, but I just couldn't give it 4* for two reasons:
1. Maris fell in love with Noah because she loved his book so much - I know that reason can go out the window when emotions walk in the door, but really?!!
2. Maris again - she came to Parker's bed while still claiming to love her husband, and then was upset with him for 'using' her and pushing her out the door (which he did).

Envy is a good read; a well-told story with some predictable plotlines but also some surprising
вιвℓισρнιℓια {кιηgѕℓєу & ѕøяєη ƒσяєνєя}
description.....

You created my fantasies.

An outstanding read, that kept me guessing and made me feel.

Joyzi
I am one of the luckiest Goodreaders who actually won a copy of this book via the Goodreads Firstreads Giveaways. When I received the news I was really happy, happy because I think this was the very first time I actually won something through luck.

I actually have no idea who the author was and what was the book was all about because I just randomly enter any books that are listed in the Giveaway list. So I'm like Sandra Brown Who? Nevertheless someone commented that Sandra Brown was a good autho
Carrie
Reviewed for Audiogals.net

Narrated by Viktor Slezak

Envy came to my attention over a year ago, but I kept putting it off because I feared it wouldn’t have enough relationship development. For decades I’d read straight mystery and suspense, and while I still love suspense, I now want books with a strong romantic element. Surely, I thought, Sandra Brown is too mainstream for my current tastes. How wrong I was, and how glad I am that I finally gave into the curiosity and bought the audiobook. If I'd
Ya~
Suspense? Nonexistent.

Mystery? The key part in Envy is mystery. But the mystery is mostly not mysterious to me:/

Plot? The information that is required to power up the plot lack substances.

Characters? The bad guy is delusional and at times, laughable, and Maris frustrates the heck out of me. All main characters are 2-dimensional.

Romance? Weird. I have to say that Maris fell in love with the book character, not the hero:/

Dialogue? Good for the most part.

Pace? Slow in some chapters.

That said, her
D.G.
**4.5 stars**

This is a terrific romantic suspense book with one of the most despicable villains I've ever had the misfortune to find in fiction. There were tons of good twists and at times I was truly afraid that the villain would get away with murder but just when you thought everybody was well and truly f*cked, something would happen that would put the villain in his place.

I won't go into detail about the plot or characters because for the first couple of chapters the reader doesn't know who'
Sarah Sammis
Envy is the third novel by Sandra Brown I've read and she's rapidly earning her way onto my list of "go-to" authors. Her novels always manage to surprise once or twice and certainly entertain from cover to cover.

Envy is the title of the book within the book and it's the lure that brings Maris Matherly-Reed to a remote Georgian island to purchase the rights to a novel. What she doesn't realize is that she's been lured into an elaborate scheme of revenge long buried in the past.

There are excerpts
Anne OK
Reread in May, 2010. Still think it's one of Sandra Brown's best books ever. A deep and dark storyline with great character development and a plot that keeps on going. I'm so glad I decided to pick this book up again 10 years from the original read because my reading habits have changed so much and I've developed more of an eye for details and clues. Such a surprise and a delightful day of reading.
Lea's Audiobooks Hensley
10/13 - just relistened to this, my fave romantic suspense. I enjoyed it just as much, if not more, than the first two times.

Unabridged audiobook version - my review from AAR's Speaking of Audiobooks column:
Narrated by Victor Slezak
Envy is part of my Unofficial 2010 Listening Challenge. I haven’t been a fan of romantic suspense in the past and Envy changed that – completely. Sandra Brown has to be one of the more refined voices for sophisticated suspense combined with romance. I wasn’t bored for
CrazyPenguinLady
One of the best Sandra Brown books I have ever read.
-There were no parts where the heroine's friends go on and on about how jealous they are of her physical perfection. THANK YOU.
-The hero acted like an asshole several times -typical of Sandra Brown heroes- but it was acknowledged, instead of just forgiven without a thought.
-There was a lot more suspense than in a usual SB book. That was nice; the thriller aspect of it. I find I enjoy SB books with the element of suspense much more than the pure
Amanda
I remember reading this sometime ago, the mystery really drew me in. I would say this is one of the romantic suspense with the strongest plot I ever read. From the start, we are wondering what is Parker's motivation, why is he handicap and what is the connection between the current events and the story of Envy.

Parker is a recluse living in an island and he is also novelist who happen to send in the initially chapter of his novel titled 'Envy' to Maris' publishing company. Maris is the owner of t
Maldivianbookreviewer
This is the 2nd book that I have chosen to read because fellow book reviewer Brie seemed to recommend the book so highly. And I have got to believe the girl and take her recommendations to heart because for the world of me, I couldn’t seem to put down this book once I started to read. Envy makes for such a compelling read that I resented every single minute I had to be away from the story that unfolded, bringing home the fact that when it comes to thrillers of the romantic suspense variety, ther ...more
Anna
It shouldn't come as much of a surprise that with a plot like Envy's, there's a big emphasis on writerly things, and nearly all of the characters are involved in the industry at some point, either from the writing or the publishing aspect. Ironically, the criticism given to one of her writing characters pretty much sums up the book: lively dialogue, but the plot needs work. The plot needs a lot of work, because I don't have enough suspension of disbelief to buy the story past the first fifty pag ...more
..Cécile..
This was a nice read. I liked the characters,they feel very real. I don't really think this is a suspense book though. More romance mystery.

I'm a tiny bit disappointed by the ending. The book is a bit slow - though it never bithered me. The ending is however very rushed and sudden. But it was an enjoyable book and I'll be reading more by Sandra Brown.
Jane Stewart
Well done mystery, a frighteningly evil bad guy, and some interesting romantic development.

STORY BRIEF:
Two stories are being told. The first story is about Maris, an editor and executive in her father’s publishing company Matherly Press. Noah was a famous author who came to work at Matherly Press. He and Maris married. Maris recently read an unsolicited manuscript in her slush pile. It was a prologue titled “Envy” submitted by P.M.E. with no phone and no address. She loved it and eventually find
Chana
I like Sandra Brown books, this was no exception. But that said, there were two things that bothered me: 1. Parker would not have survived his accident. Why didn't the author make the accident more believable? #2 Parker was very cruel to Maris after getting her to trust him, just awful really. And the excuse given in the book for this cruelty didn't make sense to me. Supposedly he did that to make her leave. Why didn't he just say, listen I need you to leave for a few weeks until I call and tell ...more
Gena Puro
5 STARS!!!. LOVED IT!!!. Twist after twist! I wonder what of Ms. Brown's books to read next.
Vanessa
This book was recommended to my by Crystal, and I loved it. I loved the twists and turns. Around the middle of the book, I had a feeling about where the book was heading, but was pleasantly surprised by all the complexities that were explored as the book progressed.

The characters were strong and I loved Maris, Parker, and Mike. Some great twists and turns as well. I also liked that there wasn't the formula sub-plot where girl hates boy, boy pleads forgiveness and girl finally believes him and g
  • Shadow Lover
  • The Seduction of Samantha Kincade (Dangerous Men, #1)
  • All the Queen's Men (CIA Spies, #2)
  • Darkling I Listen
  • Edge of Survival
  • Without Words
  • Hot Shot
  • Lucky's Lady (Doucet #2)
  • Breaking The Rules

Sandra Brown is the author of more than sixty New York Times bestsellers, including MEAN STREAK (2014), DEADLINE(2013), LOW PRESSURE (2012), LETHAL (2011), TOUGH CUSTOMER (2010), SMASH CUT (2009), & SMOKE SCREEN (2008).

Brown began her writing career in 1981 and since t
More about Sandra Brown...
Lethal The Alibi Mean Streak Ricochet Chill Factor

“It takes far less courage to cling to the past than it does to face the future".” 164 likes
“[Parker] ”We know why I kissed you last night, Maris.”
“To frighten me off.”
He frowned. “That doesn’t even merit an argument. I kissed you because you braved Terry’s and showed up everybody in the place, including me. I kissed you because just looking at you made me ache. I kissed you because I’m a rotten son of a bitch and your mouth looked so goddamn kissable. Simply put, I kissed you because I wanted to. It’s something I admit and you damn well know. But there is one question that’s driving me fucking crazy.”
His eyes focused harder on hers and, by doing so, penetrated. “Why did you kiss me back?”
11 likes