Start by marking “Sweet Hush” as Want to Read:
Sweet Hush
read excerpt

Sweet Hush

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  858 ratings  ·  73 reviews
Smith cooks up a passionate story about a woman whose life is thrown into chaos when her son elopes with the daughter of the President of the United States. Includes an brand-new short story.
Published January 1st 2004 by Warner Books (NY) (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Sweet Hush, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sweet Hush

Sophie's World by Jostein GaarderThe Amida Tree by Bonnie FerranteTwilight by Stephenie MeyerSnow White and the Seven Dwarfs by Coralyn BradshawThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle
Apples
13th out of 51 books — 25 voters
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeGone with the Wind by Margaret MitchellThe Help by Kathryn StockettThe Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark TwainMidnight in the Garden of Good and Evil by John Berendt
Best Southern Books
180th out of 433 books — 582 voters

More lists with this book...

Cheryl
The book has an iffy premise, but within a few pages, I was drawn in. Deborah Smith's writing does that to you no matter how in the beginning, you think, "Huh? Is that realistic?"

The story's a romance, naturally. Hush builds up an apple orchard based on the Sweet Hush apple her family developed over a century earlier. She marries the wrong man even though she knows it. But when he dies, she's left with a son who idolized his father because she never let him see what his father really was. She lo
Christine
This isn't the type of book I usually read but I've been breaking out of my comfort zone lately and am glad of it. I'd say this book was about family -- the lies we tell, the secrets we keep, and the love we share. It's got a romance subplot running through it, but I wouldn't classify this as romance.

Basic premise: Hush's grown son comes home from Harvard with a surprise for his mom -- he's secretly married the president's daughter and she's pregnant. She's run away from her controlling mom and
Kathy
Every year I try to choose my personal favorite book, the one that, if I were a professional reviewer, I would be dragging out the ticker tape for! In 2013 (and I admit I read a lot so another one could find its way onto this shelf before January 1, 2014) Sweet Hush by Deborah Smith is fulfilling the criteria for Kathy's Book of the Year. At first, I thought it was going to be confusing to keep up with the characters, and maybe a little boring since it is written around the history of a family o ...more
Amanda
It was actually not very good but I didn't DISLIKE it. It was too silly to dislike.
Why did I not believe in the widow of a faithless husband, devoted to covering up the flaws in her dead cheatin' man; who finds that her son has married and impregnated the only child of the president of the U.S., and brought his bride to the home of his apple-growing, bee-charming momma?? They are followed by the secret service, the bride's dangerous but sexy cousin and the national media. Why was this not convi
Jaime Atkins
This was a really good book. Deborah Smith is an author I discovered while browsing the library. Her books are descriptive, engaging, and deep. She doesn't write with flowery words and silly romantic notions. Her books are stories filled with layers from past to present, emotions that tangle with the readers own, to make it more real.

I have read others of hers and really enjoyed them, but I had skipped over this one several times. The premise of involvement with the President and First Lady s
Heidi
I wish I could give half stars, because I would give this 2.5 stars, but I'll round up to 3. I did enjoy the story, and yes it did make me cry near the end. So why 2.5/3 stars? There were quite a few missing words, the wrong word, etc. Plus there was one entire section that the first paragraph started out from one person's pov, the next paragraph switched to something entirely different and then went to another pov before finishing the section out by going back to the first person's pov. I had t ...more
Debbie
I liked the plot, in concept, and the book was an enjoyable read. Hush wants two things: to grow her apples, and for her son to have better opportunities than she did. Both are endangered when said son suddenly leaves Harvard and returns home with his new wife, whose father is President of the United States. There's not much substance here, and the book was as fluffy as an apple pancake fresh off the griddle. Smith tries to make the plot deeper, more complex, but never quite succeeds more than s ...more
Alasandra Alawine
Hush has spent her life trying to survive first the death of her parents when she was a young teen, then having to fight to hold on to her family orchard and raise her baby brother. Through it all Davy was there to help, but when his "help" leads to an unwanted pregnancy he can't deal with the fact that Hush is less than pleased about giving up her dreams of college to marry him and raise a baby.

As Hush creates a successful business out of the apple orchard and raises Davis to be a successful y
Robin
This story is about a woman named Hush McGillen, who has pulled herself out of poverty to make her family's apple orchard into a big business. She sends her son to Harvard, but after a couple years he comes speeding back to the family farm with a wife in tow. The wife is the daughter of the President of the United States! Now the heroine's life is upside-down. There are secret service agents everywhere she looks and the media is swarming. And the President has sent his nephew, a retired Lt Colon ...more
Sandy
The Kindle formatting issues were a distraction. The author seemed to forget what she had written at times...in one paragraph he is wearing a pair of khaki pants, in the next they are cords. In one paragraph, she takes the battery out of the phone and locks it in a drawer, and in the next paragraph she is talking on her cell phone. Other than those distractions, it was a good story, and I enjoyed it very much.
Katherine Current
An interesting read -- I picked this up on one of the amazon kindle sales and couldn't put it down. Although the plot was intriguing and the characters were interesting, theres just something about this book that didn't quite draw me in the way I was expecting...
Lisa
I read this book because I enjoyed her contributions to The Mossy Creek series so much. I was disappointed. Predictable.
Tania Martins
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
I read this years ago and I still remember the story. There is something about Ms. Smith's writing which is so good. I liked this story yet I probably won't read it again. What I loved about this story was how realistic it was for me to read. To lovers who have mothers that are so similar yet in different occupations who seem to have issues with each other. I found it amusing.

What I enjoy about Ms. Smith's books is that I also learn something new. In this one, I learn about running an orchard.
Katherine Coble
In truth this is likely a 3.5 star book. It has the usual Deborah Smith appeal in a vibrant setting, empowerment of characters through hard work and determination, charming eccentricity and a well-described community and home place that serves as a comfortable retreat for the reader.
I've had to dock the story a star because, like her recent novella _The Biscuit Witch_, this particular story lacks a LOT of connective tissue that would have made great strides in the story. In fact, it almost feel
Maurynne  Maxwell
Great beginning scene. Plow through or skip the next good girl marries bad boy pages and get back to the present, and the story gets unique again. New fan!
Sozie
Simple, uncomplicated story about apples, love, family and family secrets. It was ok, I mean, it's a quick read but it's not going to change your life at all. :)
Amos
of LL, Interesting loosly based on history of east coast apple farmers. specifically southern highlands and a little of what it took to find a good apple and how they are multiplied. Good novel wrapped around that history. brief commentary on what we have lost in our mass market agriculture. does not speculate on what might happen if what happened to the Irish potatoes were to strike our unicultural feilds.

Note current problems with honeybees not addressed but wasps/hornets play a small part in
Ratforce
Deborah Smith writes inspiring and romantic stories that fans of Susan Wiggs often enjoy. Both writers create vivid settings and complex relationships for their independent characters.

The leisurely pace and rural setting of this book, along with the independent and introspective heroine, are similar to elements of Susan Wiggs and Sherryl Woods’ novels.

Deborah Smith writes contemporary romantic fiction with a strong emphasis on family and relationships, and she often includes an inspirational the
Lisa
Williesharp
This book was very poorly edited (at least the kindle version that I read). And if I had to read one more apple metaphor or description of something covered in apples, I thought I was going to puke.

However, I think that the story was decent. Interesting story line with some very likable characters. The author did a great job of placing you in an apple orchard in Georgia. But again, it's a shame that even Hush's bathrobe was covered in apples.
Angela
This is a fun, feel good read that I find hard to put down. Perhaps the premise is not very realistic, but honestly I loved it. I was convinced by the authors storytelling skills to swallow every sweet and tart bite without questioning it once. I keep this book on hand when I need something fun to read for a pick me up and to make me believe that sometimes hard work and sacrifice really does pay off in the end.
Andreasoldier
A strong woman's son come home with pregnant wife, who just happens to be a first child. Secret service follows, with special forces type cousin thrown in as love interest. While the plot is far-fetched some of the emotions surrounding family secrets coming light, ex-husbands and new lovers aren't. What saves this book is the writing, very straightfoward and not fluffy. Enjoyable and not too deep.
Laurie Larsen
Thoroughly enjoyed it! I loved the rich history of the characters and how they made it to today, to be exactly what the other needed. It brought tears, laughs and plenty of "ahhhh" moments. And it strangely made me crave apples! I need to get my recipe file out!
Kay
Enjoyed Sweet Hush very much.
Nancy
She's the 5th in a line of family members named Hush, from Hush the First, a Scottish woman who founded their apple-growing dynasty in the South. The current Hush fights from her teenage years on to restore the farm to what it had been. She succeeds, but when her only son elopes with the President's daughter, she fears the loss of everything that means anything to her.
Marty
Tales of the farm where the Hush apple was grown and the family that developed it. Complications multiply when the son of the founder, arrives from Harvard with his girlfriend how happens to be the daughter of the President of the United States. The two young people escaped the security guards and have come home to hide. Good reading for a plane ride.
Pat
I do enjoy Deborah Smith's books. I like to get out of my own life and become involved with the tale she weaves. This one was a pleasure. Her themes are a little predictable, but I do enjoy them. So...who cares? I am not fond of surprises. I will continue to read them!
Joene
Another of my favorite Deborah Smith books. This story is funny, sad, and full of redemptive love. I love the characters and their interactions with one another. Again, I have laughed and cried over this book, and again, sometimes at the same time. GREAT STORY!!!
  • The Wilde Women
  • In the Midnight Rain
  • Love and Devotion
  • See You
  • Sunrise Song
  • And Then He Kissed Me
  • A Mother's Touch: The Way Home\A Stranger's Son\The Paternity Test
  • No Place Like Home
  • Love is all around (Looking for Love #1)
  • Black Balled
  • Mortal Sins (Daman Rourke #1)
  • Red's Hot Honky-Tonk Bar
  • Trouble Won't Wait (Love-n-Trouble)
  • How Sweet It Is (Heart of Carolina #2)
  • Woman Without a Past
  • Tender Graces
  • Bitter Chocolate
  • Rebecca / Jamaica Inn / Frenchman's Creek / My cousin Rachel.
Bestselling Author
Co-founder, co-publisher
Vice-president, Editor in Chief
BelleBooks, Memphis, TN

Deborah Smith is the New York Times bestselling author of A Place to Call Home, and the No. 1 Kindle Bestseller The Crossroads Cafe, A Gentle Rain and other acclaimed romantic novels portraying life and love in the modern Appalachian South. A native Georgian, Deborah is a former newspaper editor who tu
More about Deborah Smith...
The Crossroads Cafe A Place to Call Home A Gentle Rain On Bear Mountain Alice at Heart (Waterlilies, #1)