Start by marking “Duck Soup” as Want to Read:
Duck Soup

Duck Soup

3.85  ·  Rating Details  ·  728 Ratings  ·  92 Reviews
Max the duck is cooking up an amazing soup. But what's this? A feather floating in the soup! And where's Max? Brody the dog, Dakota the cat, and Bebe the bird race about in their hilarious search for the missing Max. But remember, sometimes things just aren't as they appear.
Published January 8th 2008 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about Duck Soup, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Duck Soup

Greta
Mar 11, 2008 Greta rated it it was ok
Shelves: picturebooks
The illustrations are wonderful, but the story didn't do too much for me.
Jenifer Neilsen
Jul 09, 2013 Jenifer Neilsen rated it really liked it
Audience: primary
Genre: Fantasy (talking animals)
Golden Sower 2011 Primary Honor

Pre-reading strategy: A picture walk

This story really lends itself to making predictions through the very expressive illustrations. It has words in different text, colors and font on each page which lead the reader to thinking about what will happen next. Using a picture walk on the first pages, I would discuss the soup pot and what the steam represents. The next pages introduce the other characters and I would talk
Samantha Gacke
A group of animals think their friend, the duck, has fallen into the soup he was creating.

The first thing the title of this book reminded me of was when my 4th grade class read Stone Soup, and then created the soup in class. Once I started reading the book, I was then reminded of my own reactions with my mom’s cooking and the dislike of some of her creations. Duck finally created a close-to-perfect creation; he is just missing one item that he has in his garden. When his friends came in and thou
Maria
Jun 17, 2012 Maria rated it really liked it
The main character in this book is Max the duck, who is an aspiring chef of soups. Max enjoys cooking the perfect soup and one day he decides to make the masterpiece of soups. However, upon tasting the soup he feels there is something missing from it. In search of the perfect ingredient, Max goes out into the garden to get some herbs. While out in the garden his friends come to visit. On discovering Max is not in the kitchen, they assume Max has fallen into his pot of soup that’s bubbling away o ...more
Lyndsey Hurm
Oct 18, 2012 Lyndsey Hurm rated it it was amazing
Duck Soup is such a cute book! It is great to use for sequencing because there are 3 main parts that are easily distinguished. I would use this in my classroom to teach beginning middle and end. A cute activity that I might do would be to bring in a cooking pot with strips of paper that have different parts of the story written on it. Then I would have one student at a time come pick a strip out of the pot and then another and another. The students would then work together to put the strips in t ...more
Amber
Jun 06, 2014 Amber rated it really liked it
Shelves: state-awards
"Give me a thumbs up if you like to eat soup. I thought many of you would say yes, I love soup too. Give me a thumbs up if you have ever had homemade soup. Mmm...soup is so good! Today I'm going to share with you a book called “Duck Soup”, written by Jackie Urbanovic." Give me a thumbs up if you have had duck soup. (Show book front and back cover) “Looking at the illustration take a few moments to think about what this book is going to tell us about “Duck Soup.” Turn to a shoulder partner and sh ...more
Angela Galvin
Feb 02, 2015 Angela Galvin rated it really liked it
Duck Soup is a story about a duck making soup. The duck's name is Max. Max has been working on his special soup all day. Max has made other soup before but this one was one of his very own creations. Max needed an ingredient from his garden. As he is outside getting an herb, Max's friends come over. They do not see Max and fear the worst and think he fell into his own soup. His friends, Brody, Dakota and Bebe strain the soup looking for Max. This is a cute story that I would recommend to read. I ...more
Randie D. Camp, M.S.
Mar 08, 2011 Randie D. Camp, M.S. rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Urbanovic, Jackie. (2008). Duck Soup. New York: HarperCollinsPublishers.

Literary Genre: Fiction (Picture Storybook)

Max is a duck who loves to cook. Max is in the kitchen working on a special soup that is sure to be a masterpiece when he notices that it is missing something. Max goes out into the garden to find an herb that will make the soup perfect. Meanwhile, his family (a lively bunch of animals) spot a “feather” in the soup and they try to save Max until Max himself interrupts them. In the e
Samantha Morris
Audience: Primary
Genre: Picture Book/Fantasy
Pre-reading Strategy: List-Group-Label

The List-Group-Label strategy works for this story because it has a very strict theme of cooking. Therefore if the students in the class don't know a lot about cooking, this activity will help familiarize the students with the material. This strategy also works well because it breaks down the theme into small parts and then forces the students to see commonalities and differences between all the items they have pul
Rachelle
Feb 10, 2016 Rachelle rated it it was amazing
I found this book while searching for Stone Soup but it is not a retelling of that classic tale. Max the Duck is a chef and he is on the quest to make the perfect soup. When he leaves the house to pick herbs for the broth, his friends come inside and cannot find him. They do, however, find a feather and quickly conclude that their friend is in the soup. This is a silly story with great illustrations.
Ashley M.
Sep 16, 2012 Ashley M. rated it it was amazing
This story about a duck trying to cook the perfect soup is a great book to share with children of a young age. The cooking of the soup introduces many food names and cooking terms. The story shows throughout events in the book that friendship is more important than being the best at something. The fun pictures help explain the actions in the story with the different characters in the book. This is a cute story that can be used for many domains of learning or study units.

Learning Experience
Let yo
Alice
Dec 09, 2014 Alice rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-stars
This is a hilarious book! The pictures are funny the story is funny ...and it makes me a bit hungry!
Elizabeth S
Mar 20, 2015 Elizabeth S rated it really liked it
Shelves: f-picture, e-short, l-home
Even more fun than the first book, Duck at the Door. These characters are wonderful, clever, fun, and have so much depth. It is unusual for picture-book characters to be more than what is on the page, and these are. And the story is fun, too. Duck is making soup. Is that a feather in the soup? Oh, no! Where is duck? My favorite part is the realizing that a strainer is the right tool for the job.
Sarah Rosenberger
Jan 31, 2016 Sarah Rosenberger rated it liked it
Shelves: humor, picture-books
2.5
Rachel Yingling
Duck in this story cooks soups a lot, but he decides that he wants to create his own soup recipe that will be great. He has to leave after he has started cooking to get another recipe when his friends come into the house looking for him. They think he has fallen into the soup and to save him dump the soup out. Duck is devastated that he won't be able to finish creating his soup. His friends remind him he can do it another time and that they are just glad he is safe. He agrees with them.
Emily
Jun 05, 2012 Emily rated it it was amazing
Audience: P-2nd grade, children who enjoy cooking, children who enjoy stories about animals.
Appeal: Kids will enjoy a silly story about Max as he attempts to cook soup. The animal characters will appeal to students who like reading about them, and students who want to try and cook on their own. Children will especially enjoy reading about Duck's friend's attempt to find him in the soup, and enjoy the silly story.

2011 Primary Golden Sower Honor Book
Jeff
Sep 25, 2009 Jeff rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Urbanovic is back with another tale of "Max" the Mallard Duck that has made himself at home in suburban household of dogs, cats, and birds. The story in this one is just bizzarre whimsy. It focuses on Max's attempt to make a soup and then his animal friends think he has cooked himself in the soup when he goes out to get herbs in the garden. Not sure what it tells us, but once again Urbanovic wins me over with her evocative and hilarious drawings.
Melanie
Readers learned in "Duck at the Door" that Max the duck had a flair for cooking. In this book, Max has decided to create his own soup. How exciting! It's close to perfect, but is still missing something. Max steps out into the herb garden to see if he can find what he's missing. While he's gone, the other animals think he has fallen into the soup and ruin the entire batch in their rescue efforts.

A hilarious read-aloud for storytimes.
Libby
Jun 30, 2010 Libby rated it liked it
My 21-mo-old son really liked this, but I didn't find it particularly amazing. A cute story about some animals who think their wannabe chef duck friend accidentally fell into his soup and end up ruining a would-be masterpiece. (is that what it's called in cooking?) But could be a good lesson in disappointment and looking on the bright side. The pictures are very cute, though, and there is a lot of emotion in the text.
Rebecca Ann
Oct 05, 2012 Rebecca Ann rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Not gonna lie, if duck had really fallen in this soup I would eat it. This story follows a duck who loves to make soup. One day he's out in the garden and leaves the soup on the stove (so unsafe), and a feather falls in. His friends think he has accidentally fallen in and they strain the soup in an effort to save him. Cute cartoon illustrations with delicious looking soup. This would be a fun storytime read for K-2!
Ina
Nov 20, 2013 Ina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: storytime-reads
Max the duck is back and is cooking up a pot of soup and steps out to his garden to pick some herbs. This begins a very funny chain of events resulting in pizza for dinner. This is a great read-aloud with simple text big, funny illustrations and lots of emotion. All of our friends from the "Duck" books are here in this laugh-out-loud-funny tale of well meaning friends jumping to the wrong conclusions.
Katelyn Tschida

Audience: Boys and girls -preschool to 2nd grade

Appeal: colorful, funny, unique, creative

Application: I would use it for either a lesson on food and cooking or to have the students learn to draw inferences based off of pictures in books. Also to help the students open up their minds and think outside of the box. Could a duck really make soup?

Award List: Golden Sower
Kristine
Jun 05, 2012 Kristine rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens-lit
This targets a younger crowd from K-2nd grades. It could relate to the kids by no matter how hard you try, even if the finished product isn't what you wanted it to be, your effort was seen. Younger kids may imagine something better than what they have shown, but we see the effort and creativity to it. Award Nominee 2010-2011
Hannah
Oct 30, 2012 Hannah rated it really liked it
PB 12
This book is really cute. The illustrations are so expressive, and the story is very entertaining. The words written in color are really helpful to show the panic and enthusiasm in the plot. I can see this book being one that children would like to read repetitively and that they would be really involved in.
Brooke
Aug 30, 2012 Brooke rated it it was amazing
Duck soup is a wonderful book intended for kids preK-probably 2nd grade. The characters are clever and witty and Max the Duck is, as always getting into more trouble as always. This book offers an underlying moral like most children's books. Max has many adventures he encounters in other books, so check them all out!
Erika Tortorice
Sep 12, 2013 Erika Tortorice rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this picture storybook. It had very nice style of illustrations with the cartoon like animals. The illustrations and the theme of the story went together nicely. I loved how the characters were animals and so the assumption by the other animals that the duck was in the soup made sense.
Danielle Desmarais
Dec 05, 2012 Danielle Desmarais rated it liked it
I was first drawn to this book because of it illustrations. Very fun and tell a lot about the story. Would be a great read-aloud for children to ask questions about the story, the emotions of the characters, and also what the illustrations depict. Fun story about friends.

2nd grade reading level
Amanda
Jan 18, 2013 Amanda rated it really liked it
Fantastic! The story line of this book is endearing for any child, as well as any adult reading it aloud. I particularly love the loud expressions that each character voices during the climax of the tale. Though I could see the ending having a slightly "cuter" alternative, the book is great!
Julia
Hilarious! Duck is a soup cook and he longs to make a unique soup recipe. While he is in the garden gathering ingredients, his friends show up for dinner and freak out thinking that he has fallen into his soup and cooked himself. The freaking-out part plays out REALLY well during read-alouds :)
Curtis Edmonds
Jun 26, 2012 Curtis Edmonds rated it really liked it
My kids think this is maybe even better than Duck at the Door, I think mostly because the animals freak out and act silly. I don't think either of them stands up well to repeat (and repeat and repeat and repeat) reading. But the drawings are big and colorful, so there's that.
  • The Perfect Nest